They are suppose to come out with 2 new pkb phones this year. Key2 and sumthn else. Supposedly they want to keep a pkb division or sumthn. I figure just b patient and hope the priv can keep up with things till something similar in design comes along
    06-07-18 08:13 AM
    They are suppose to come out with 2 new pkb phones this year. Key2 and sumthn else. Supposedly they want to keep a pkb division or sumthn. I figure just b patient and hope the priv can keep up with things till something similar in design comes along
    Indeed. And as it is hard to imagine they will put out a direct competitor to the Key2, it is hard to imagine a second phkb device as anything other than a slider. (a clam shell full size keyboard seems far fetched in 2018).

Of course there is the off chance/risk that it will be a Key2+ with only different chipset and higher screen resolution to keep the promise but also keep the development and production costs down - but I doubt it....
    06-07-18 03:45 PM
    If anything it'll just be an all-plastic SD4xx version of the KEY2.

If KEY2 is a Bold 9900, that would be a Curve.
    06-07-18 03:52 PM
    Let's all hope Key2 is a great success otherwise I can smell troubles ahead for the BlackBerry brand?
    06-07-18 10:07 PM
    Let's all hope Key2 is a great success otherwise I can smell troubles ahead for the BlackBerry brand?
    That’s been the case since BB exited hardware. If you want PKB device take what is offered before nothing is offered.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-08-18 07:24 AM
    Right now, BlackBerry Mobile needs to convince each carrier to carry same device. It's the KEYtwo and it's what they have. Doesn't matter if there's demand for other devices since BBMo can't afford to fragment demand for now and PKB style is what the brand is known for. I liked the PRIV and DTEK hardware style but carriers didn't want the DTEK or Motion and Verizon handled the PRIV much later without the AT&T issues. When carriers line up for any style factor, BBMo will produce it.
    No arguments with any of that. But anytime anybody uses the AT&T / Priv fiasco as evidence that a slider won't sell, I will point out that the form factor had nothing to do with the failure.
    The carriers are all well aware of this, I assume the new product development people at TLC also know the story.
    If I were TLC, I wouldn't release a slider in close proximity with the Key2. But I would have one in the pipeline. The initial leaks indicated 2 new keyboard devices this year, and one of them would not be a Key1 style device.
    The patents for the Uni look intriguing, and promising.
    Assuming the Key2 fares well, I think it's inevitable that TLC will build a slider, prob by the end of next year. If BlackBerry turns out to be a viable brand for them, it will prob be a BB, if not, it will most likely be a Palm.
    I would be tempted to use Palm, and position that brand as high end for PKB devices, and leave BB where it is, a mid range device.
    - It's all predicated on the success of the Key2, to prove beyond a doubt that PKB devices are really viable.
    06-08-18 07:35 AM
    No arguments with any of that. But anytime anybody uses the AT&T / Priv fiasco as evidence that a slider won't sell, I will point out that the form factor had nothing to do with the failure.
    The carriers are all well aware of this, I assume the new product development people at TLC also know the story.
    If I were TLC, I wouldn't release a slider in close proximity with the Key2. But I would have one in the pipeline. The initial leaks indicated 2 new keyboard devices this year, and one of them would not be a Key1 style device.
    Assuming the Key2 fares well, I think it's inevitable that TLC will build a slider, prob by the end of next year. If BlackBerry turns out to be a viable brand for them, it will prob be a BB, if not, it will most likely be a Palm.
    I would be tempted to use Palm, and position that brand as high end for PKB devices, and leave BB where it is, a mid range device.
    - It's all predicated on the success of the Key2, to prove beyond a doubt that PKB devices are really viable.
    As long as said Palm uses Android One... I'll buy it.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    06-08-18 08:16 AM
    When we are talking Palm, and thus PDAs, there is also this PDA & phone merge
    https://www.planetcom.co.uk/?page_id=8
    That someone (unfortunately I forgot who) pointed my attention to. It should be available mid June.

Campaign: We Want BlackBerry Priv 2!-image6.jpg
    Qorax likes this.
    06-08-18 08:46 AM
    When we are talking Palm, and thus PDAs, there is also this PDA & phone merge
    https://www.planetcom.co.uk/?page_id=8
    That someone (unfortunately I forgot who) pointed my attention to. It should be available mid June.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	338.2 KB 
ID:	436730
    ....that's a Psion or HP Journada, not a Palm. The Foleo never made it out the door.
    06-08-18 08:51 AM
    ....that's a Psion or HP Journada, not a Palm. The Foleo never made it out the door.
    It is a new (phablet sized) thing they call "Gemini PDA" from "Planet computers"
    06-08-18 09:03 AM
    It is a new thing they call "Gemini PDA" from "Planet computers"
    I know, Planet Computers hired the same designer who did the Psion 5 back then.

What I'm saying is this is spiritually a Psion, not a PalmPilot.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    06-08-18 09:11 AM
    I know, Planet Computers hired the same designer who did the Psion 5 back then.

What I'm saying is this is spiritually a Psion, not a PalmPilot.
    Oh yes indeed more like a Psion. And more of an Alternative to a Priv 2 than a Palm
    06-08-18 09:31 AM
    Oh yes indeed more like a Psion. And more of an Alternative to a Priv 2 than a Palm
    That's not even close to a Priv.
    06-08-18 09:43 AM
    That's not even close to a Priv.
    No, but "more of an Alternative to a Priv 2 than a Palm"

The reason to go for a Priv over a Key1/2 is for us that wants the full size display.
    06-08-18 09:52 AM
    No, but "more of an Alternative to a Priv 2 than a Palm"

The reason to go for a Priv over a Key1/2 is for us that wants the full size display.
    Not really an alternative either... this is primarily a landscape device.

Even the Moto Z with the landscape keyboard slider is debatable.
    06-08-18 09:56 AM
    Not really an alternative either... this is primarily a landscape device.

Even the Moto Z with the landscape keyboard slider is debatable.
    Ah well that depends on the starting point. For me the Priv is an odd alternative in the wrong direction to a real slider. So both the mentioned are closer to what I really want, a successor to my Nokia N97 mini and SonyEricsson (neo) PRO (plus Ip6- with qwerty slider case). And yes I admit that sliders in the wrong direction are even rarer than in the right direction - for obvious reasons.
    The point of a pkb is to easy entry, and hence the undersized keys are sub-optimal.
    So to me they are definitely both alternatives to a Priv 2

Though the portrait orientation makes a lot of sense on a non-slider device like the key1&2, to keep the device reasonably narrow, it is just odd for a slider - but still MUCH better than no slider.

But I do admit that there are a LOT of lazy app programmers out there, that forgot to implement both landscape an portrait, though tablets help on nudging them to handle both direction.
    Qorax likes this.
    06-08-18 10:21 AM
    Ah well that depends on the starting point. For me the Priv is an odd alternative in the wrong direction to a real slider. So both the mentioned are closer to what I really want, a successor to my Nokia N97 mini and SonyEricsson (neo) PRO (plus Ip6- with qwerty slider case). And yes I admit that sliders in the wrong direction are even rarer than in the right direction - for obvious reasons.
    The point of a pkb is to easy entry, and hence the undersized keys are sub-optimal.
    So to me they are definitely both alternatives to a Priv 2

Though the portrait orientation makes a lot of sense on a non-slider device like the key1&2, to keep the device reasonably narrow, it is just odd for a slider - but still MUCH better than no slider.

But I do admit that there are a LOT of lazy app programmers out there, that forgot to implement both landscape an portrait, though tablets help on nudging them to handle both direction.
    Well not quite the purpose the Priv and Palm Pre series were designed for. These are for messaging, primarily used as phones, so they are portrait devices, just like slab phones, and if you have a long message to type or a heated forum discussion, you open the keyboard.

To do that, portrait sliders are easier to use, just flick your thumb and the keyboard is there. Landscape, you need to rotate the phone and app, slide it open, then carry on your conversation.

Landscape however are KILLER devices if you need closer to a laptop experience. Say if you need to remote desktop or use documents/spreadsheets.

Hence, I see value in both form factors, but they're not direct alternatives.
    Qorax likes this.
    06-08-18 10:46 AM
    Well not quite the purpose the Priv and Palm Pre series were designed for. These are for messaging, primarily used as phones, so they are portrait devices, just like slab phones, and if you have a long message to type or a heated forum discussion, you open the keyboard.

To do that, portrait sliders are easier to use, just flick your thumb and the keyboard is there. Landscape, you need to rotate the phone and app, slide it open, then carry on your conversation.

Landscape however are KILLER devices if you need closer to a laptop experience. Say if you need to remote desktop or use documents/spreadsheets.

Hence, I see value in both form factors, but they're not direct alternatives.
    Personally I fail to see the benefit of a portrait slider at all. We can not really use the keyboard with one hand anyway, so why not turn the device and have a larger keyboard, when flipping the thumb to make the keyboard available?

The ONLY benefit I see in a portrait slider is for poorly written apps not supporting landscape....

Most webpages also performs poorly in portrait, so for browsing we generally get a better result rotating anyway.

Portrait orientation is great for one hand touch operation though, since it is really awkward to try to use a phablet in landscape with one hand.
    06-08-18 11:11 AM
    Personally I fail to see the benefit of a portrait slider at all. We can not really use the keyboard with one hand anyway, so why not turn the device and have a larger keyboard, when flipping the thumb to make the keyboard available?

The ONLY benefit I see in a portrait slider is for poorly written apps not supporting landscape....

Most webpages also performs poorly in portrait, so for browsing we generally get a better result rotating anyway.

Portrait orientation is great for one hand touch operation though, since it is really awkward to try to use a phablet in landscape with one hand.
    I don't know... but I use my keyboard single handed all the time.

So it seems like a Priv was the wrong device for you in the first place. Like I was saying maybe you can look into the Keyboard MotoMod and the Moto Z.

And I don't think it's necessarily developers being "lazy" for not implementing apps in landscape, but it's just a fact that it's a very corner use case.
    06-08-18 11:14 AM
    I don't know... but I use my keyboard single handed all the time.

So it seems like a Priv was the wrong device for you in the first place. Like I was saying maybe you can look into the Keyboard MotoMod and the Moto Z.

And I don't think it's necessarily developers being "lazy" for not implementing apps in landscape, but it's just a fact that it's a very corner use case.
    Oh I already ordered the Moto Mod keyboard a year ago, and a half year later a variant. But since there is a risk they never arrives, I wait to buy a Moto Z/Z2/Z3 to I actually have at the least one keyboard in my hands...

My anatomy could not possibly hold the Priv in a firm grip while using all the keyboard and display with only one hand.

...and to me "lazy" was the friendly alternative to "incompetent" ;p
    Qorax likes this.
    06-08-18 11:36 AM
    I wouldn't be interested in a hinged device, there is just so much of the time when one doesn't need the PKB deployed.
    How do you make a phone call on that thing? Open it, dial, then close it, or hold the whole open thing to your head? Watching video would be pretty awkward, as would using the camera.
    Slider is the only way to go. I can deal with portrait or landscape, and see pros and cons for both.
    And how many apps do you need a PKB for? Off top of my head I can't think of any. (I'm sure somebody will point one out)
    I tend to use both thumbs on the Priv, but have used it one handed on a number of occasions, (usually when there is flashlight in the other hand). It is doable with a portrait, prob not with a landscape. Course when you sitting in an airplane trying to get some work done, a landscape PKB would be big boon.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-08-18 11:45 AM
    The last dozen posts with the last three posters is why a PRIV2 is down the road if ever. (Nothing against these posters, you’ve all been around long time and more knowledgeable than me.)

Simple that slabs are used portrait or landscape interchangeable. Nobody thinks of rotation of screen. PKBs are 99% portrait. That’s just how they’ve always pretty much been.

Slider has to be portrait or landscape. It brings additional variables to sales equation because of sales fragmentation. Simply put, BBMo has to sell as many of single PKB device to as many people that will settle on single form, style factor and size factor.
    06-08-18 12:30 PM
    The last dozen posts with the last three posters is why a PRIV2 is down the road if ever. (Nothing against these posters, you’ve all been around long time and more knowledgeable than me.)

Simple that slabs are used portrait or landscape interchangeable. Nobody thinks of rotation of screen. PKBs are 99% portrait. That’s just how they’ve always pretty much been.

Slider has to be portrait or landscape. It brings additional variables to sales equation because of sales fragmentation. Simply put, BBMo has to sell as many of single PKB device to as many people that will settle on single form, style factor and size factor.
    @EskeRahn is kind of the other half of PKB slider users, probably dating back to the original HTC Dream, Genesis of Android.
    06-08-18 12:44 PM
    @EskeRahn is kind of the other half of PKB slider users, probably dating back to the original HTC Dream, Genesis of Android.
    (Symbian even *LOL*)
    06-08-18 12:47 PM
    I’m the portrait style with PRIV. I just want the brand licensing and device business to survive. I’ve got my KEYone and A30Plus to support BBMo and TCL Alcatel. I didn’t ask for refunds on my DTEK. They MUST SEE PROFITS soon. LOL
    Sigewif likes this.
    06-08-18 12:49 PM
891 12345 ...