10-25-15 01:29 PM
44 12
tools
    Let's hope the camera is a great one. But we can't lie and say the feature is rare when other popular phones have it.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:50 AM
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhon...axy-S5_id60642

Article on how it works.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:52 AM
    Last time wireless charging for the Z30 was a Verizon exclusive. As for quick charging it's a Qualcomm tech and it's built into their SoC's which the Priv is using so we can expect 2.0 at least and perhaps 3.0 with a software update in the future.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Maybe it will be for Verizon this time around too if in fact they are going to be carrying this.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:38 AM
    Maybe it will be for Verizon this time around too if in fact they are going to be carrying this.

Posted via CB10
    Unlikely, since the ShopBlackBerry site is showing the GSM model and explicitly states that it won't work on Verizon or Sprint. So if anything, definitely available on T-Mo and AT&T, maybe available on a Verizon model if there is one.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 10:31 AM
    Unlikely, since the ShopBlackBerry site is showing the GSM model and explicitly states that it won't work on Verizon or Sprint. So if anything, definitely available on T-Mo and AT&T, maybe available on a Verizon model if there is one.

Posted via CB10
    To me I'm getting the one that is offered on their site won't be compatible with the Verizon Network. I just spoke to a Verizon rep for what it may or may not be worth and was told they would be carrying this phone. So while I can't order the one that's shown I would have to get mine from Verizon. This I understand

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    10-22-15 10:57 AM
    That's expected; you've never been able to order the CDMA-equipped versions from Shopblackberry.

But, they have all come unlocked -- albeit with crippled non-Verizon band sets, which means while you CAN use them on any other GSM network you will get 2g speeds with them in the US! I have a Z10 given to me here that is a Verizon unit and while it works fine on T-Mobile or AT&T it won't connect to either HSPA or LTE with them due to the band differences -- only GSM/EDGE.

Now go international and pick up a prepaid SIM and you're fine, because they DO include the international LTE and HSPA bands in them - just not the US ones.
    10-22-15 11:44 AM
    The iPhone 6.

Yes, it's rare, and the reason it is rare is that it requires dedicated sensor support; the sensor itself has to be built specifically for it with pixel zones that are used for this purpose since the means used in an SLR (an optical prism) is not possible given space constraints in the device.

It is even more rare given the high-resolution sensor (the iPhone 6 is an 8MP shooter) because it is quite-difficult to do given the geometry requirements to make it work with a high-resolution sensor, which the BlackBerry Priv has.

Then add to that OIS and you have a shooter that on-balance out-specs even the iPhone 6+ quite handily. Whether it performs is yet to be seen of course, but given that it is rumored to a Sony Exmor sensor with excellent glass in front of it, it very well might.

Never mind the inclusion of both QC 2.0 and both wireless charging standards.
    iPhone 6 Plus and 6s Plus both have phase detect auto-focus and OIS. The smaller 6/6s counterparts do not - they only have phase detection and stabilization is software based.
    10-22-15 03:56 PM
    That's what I said the "6+" line has OIS. It requires a voicecoil assembly that takes up a fair bit of room.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-22-15 03:58 PM
    Buddy, the iphone 6 and samsungs all have phase detect. No big deal since 90% of the phones out there are either Samsung. Heck, LG has laser focusing, which is even more impressive

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 08:01 PM
    Buddy, the iphone 6 and samsungs all have phase detect. No big deal since 90% of the phones out there are either Samsung. Heck, LG has laser focusing, which is even more impressive

Posted via CB10
    Dude, have you actually owned a LG with laser focus? I have a G3 and photos look like sh*t compared to my Note Edge so I really don't think laser focus is all that impressive at all.

10-24-15 09:27 PM
    I think we have to wait for the inevitable comparisons with the best cameras on the market, the LG G4 and Galaxy S6
    I'd like to see it compared with the Lumia 950XL camera. :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 09:47 PM
    I just spoke to a Verizon rep for what it may or may not be worth and was told they would be carrying this phone.
    Interesting, however there is no telling what a rep knows. I think they might say anything to get you off the phone. Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 09:55 PM
    From the shopblackberry.com spec sheet:

Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF), Fast focus lock

This is very interesting to see in a cell camera; to my knowledge its a near-first. Phase-detect is what you find in SLRs, which have a pentaprism and can generate an error signal for focus giving both direction and distance out-of-focus. This allows them to lock focus with only one movement of the focusing mechanism and track focus at 5fps or better on moving objects (ala Canon 5d3 or Nikon equivalent)

Nearly all non-split-prism cameras are incapable of this; they use contrast detection, which cannot determine the distance or direction. They are therefore forced to use successive approximation to focus, and it's much slower.

Phase detect CAN be implemented in a non-split-prism camera, but it requires dedicated pixel zones for that use in the sensor and the logic to do so. There are a handful of other cell cameras with it so far (the iPhone 6 being one of note) but this is a rare feature, and it will make a huge difference in focusing speed.

Expect effectively-instant focus (1/10th second or thereabouts) with zero hunting.

Oh, it also has QC2 charging AND both Qi and PMA wireless charge (!), so those who said it didn't have quick charge or wireless capability are dead flat wrong.

I agree that phase detect autofocus is a big feature and will drastically improve the camera. But, I don't think it's a rare or unique feature. The One Plus 2 makes great use of it with a price tag of $350. Sony, Samsung, LG, Apple and others have all been using it for awhile. The new Microsoft phones use it. The LG G4 and OnePlus 2 combine phase detection with "laser autofocus," whatever that means.

I think the Priv could have the best camera on the market other than the Lumia 950XL, of course... depending on the quality of the glass, of course. Rumor has it that, luckily, it does not use the stock Android camera, but instead, a custom BlackBerry camera app. Won't know until we have a chance to test it, but it looks promising.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 10:04 PM
    I'd like to see it compared with the Lumia 950XL camera. :-)

Posted via CB10
    I played with a Lumia 950xl at the Microsoft Store and took a few pics there then, I took pics of the same thing with the Lumia 640xl and to my surprise the 950 was only marginally better.

10-25-15 12:40 AM
    Soo..

just going to ask a dumb question, and I apologize if it's been asked somewhere else.. What happens if I connect a QC2.0 adapter via microUSB adapter AND use Qi wireless charging at the same time? Does this charge it even faster? lol... The HTC One A9 was just updated to QC3.0(or will be), can this Priv get said update?
    The battery would actually explode in this scenario. Soo.. I highly suggest you not do that

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 12:46 AM
    Dude, have you actually owned a LG with laser focus? I have a G3 and photos look like sh*t compared to my Note Edge so I really don't think laser focus is all that impressive at all.

dude, the laser is for improving focus speeds, not quality of the picture. plus you are off topic
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-25-15 01:23 AM
    My biggest question is not the camera hardware, which seems on par. But the software, my Passport is extremely slow taking any pictures, hope this is improved.
    10-25-15 01:26 AM
    My biggest question is not the camera hardware, which seems on par. But the software, my Passport is extremely slow taking any pictures, hope this is improved.
    Entirely different OS?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 11:17 AM
    The Passport uses contrast-detection focus as it lacks the specific photosensor sites dedicated to PDAF. It is thus like any other camera with same, and requires successive-approximation to focus.

PDAF gets rid of that and should be able to return focus lock almost-instantly. My Canon 5d3 can track moving subjects at 5fps with focus between each shot and it has to move the mirror up and down for each; that's the sort of thing that you can do with PDAF but can't do with contrast-detection. Focus lock in a tenth of a second or better is what you should expect here.

The LG's laser assist sounds great but has its own set of limitations, with the most-serious being determining what to focus on. It's basically a cheat due to not including the sensor and logic to do phase-detect. It wins in exactly one place over PDAF; very low light where the flash is off (and thus you can't use a pre-flash to get a phase-detect solution), but with a cell camera you already have a small enough native light-gathering capacity that I very much doubt this comes into play in a way that makes a difference in the real world.
    10-25-15 01:29 PM
44 12