From the shopblackberry.com spec sheet:

Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF), Fast focus lock

This is very interesting to see in a cell camera; to my knowledge its a near-first. Phase-detect is what you find in SLRs, which have a pentaprism and can generate an error signal for focus giving both direction and distance out-of-focus. This allows them to lock focus with only one movement of the focusing mechanism and track focus at 5fps or better on moving objects (ala Canon 5d3 or Nikon equivalent)

Nearly all non-split-prism cameras are incapable of this; they use contrast detection, which cannot determine the distance or direction. They are therefore forced to use successive approximation to focus, and it's much slower.

Phase detect CAN be implemented in a non-split-prism camera, but it requires dedicated pixel zones for that use in the sensor and the logic to do so. There are a handful of other cell cameras with it so far (the iPhone 6 being one of note) but this is a rare feature, and it will make a huge difference in focusing speed.

Expect effectively-instant focus (1/10th second or thereabouts) with zero hunting.

Oh, it also has QC2 charging AND both Qi and PMA wireless charge (!), so those who said it didn't have quick charge or wireless capability are dead flat wrong.

10-21-15 08:51 PM
    Sounds cool

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:54 PM
    I think we have to wait for the inevitable comparisons with the best cameras on the market, the LG G4 and Galaxy S6
    10-21-15 09:00 PM
    samsung i think has been using this in their phones for a little while now

and I do not see wireless charging on the spec sheet
    10-21-15 09:14 PM
    In the Note 5. It's also in the iPhone 6.

But this is a very rare feature, and it's a biggie. So is BOTH QC2.0 and​ both wireless charging standards.
    10-21-15 09:16 PM
    Since the Galaxy S5. I think it was the first phone to do so in fact.
    10-21-15 09:16 PM

and I do not see wireless charging on the spec sheet
    Camera note -- you're gonna like it-wireless.jpg
    LazyEvul likes this.
    10-21-15 09:23 PM
    its listed on US site then BUT not the candian site. Not 1 mention of this previously either so hard to say
    10-21-15 09:28 PM
    Man.. What a way to end a 12 hour shift.. This thing doesn't have a removable battery but does have wireless charging and fast charging. Way to go!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-21-15 09:31 PM
    its listed on US site then BUT not the candian site. Not 1 mention of this previously either so hard to say
    Yeah, it's a surprise to me too.

Refresh my memory, was the only BlackBerry model that ever offered this out of the box on the Verizon Z30?
    10-21-15 09:34 PM

Refresh my memory, was the only BlackBerry model that ever offered this out of the box on the Verizon Z30?
    Yes, that's how I charge my now worthless Z30
    00stryder and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    10-21-15 09:36 PM

yeah and there isnt VZW priv listed yet either even lol
    10-21-15 09:39 PM
    yeah and there isnt VZW priv listed yet either even lol
    Typically ShopBlackBerry doesn't carry CDMA devices on their website, just GSM. I'm not surprised by this.

Edit: They only list one model version (STV100-1), which I'm guessing is the GSM AT&T/T-Mo compatible one. We know of at least two other models too.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 10-21-15 at 10:44 PM.
    10-21-15 10:32 PM
    Soo..

just going to ask a dumb question, and I apologize if it's been asked somewhere else.. What happens if I connect a QC2.0 adapter via microUSB adapter AND use Qi wireless charging at the same time? Does this charge it even faster? lol... The HTC One A9 was just updated to QC3.0(or will be), can this Priv get said update?

Never owned a device with Qi other than my old Nokia 920..

Also, any indication if this is fast qi charging like what the Note 5/S6 Edge+ has(15w) or the normal 5w Qi charging?
    10-21-15 11:34 PM
    Soo..

just going to ask a dumb question, and I apologize if it's been asked somewhere else.. What happens if I connect a QC2.0 adapter via microUSB adapter AND use Qi wireless charging at the same time? Does this charge it even faster? lol... The HTC One A9 was just updated to QC3.0(or will be), can this Priv get said update?

Never owned a device with Qi other than my old Nokia 920..

Also, any indication if this is fast qi charging like what the Note 5/S6 Edge+ has(15w) or the normal 5w Qi charging?
    Great question! (I have no idea)
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-22-15 12:07 AM
    Soo..

just going to ask a dumb question, and I apologize if it's been asked somewhere else.. What happens if I connect a QC2.0 adapter via microUSB adapter AND use Qi wireless charging at the same time? Does this charge it even faster?
    No. The battery circuitry wouldn't allow it, and if it did, the battery would explode.
    10-22-15 12:43 AM
    We'll have to see how it compares to the iPhone 6, Galaxy S6, and LG G4 (and V10) - the top cameras on the market.

PDAF is a great start though, let's hope the software will be great and we can have a top tier camera.

LG already has a phone with TWO front facing cameras, a normal lens and a wide angle one, to reduce the need for selfie sticks. The S6 has a wide angle selfie mode.

Let's hope BlackBerry is at least on par, because the market is already moving ahead.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-22-15 01:02 AM
    I bet the wireless charging is a mistake. I can't believe that none of the other leaks mentioned it. In fact people who have had their their hands on it said it didn't. I would love to be wrong....

I may have to return my charge/sync pod....

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 01:07 AM
    I bet the wireless charging is a mistake. I can't believe that none of the other leaks mentioned it. In fact people who have had their their hands on it said it didn't. I would love to be wrong....

Posted via CB10
    I think wireless charging is the least of our concerns but it is certainly a nice plus.
    10-22-15 01:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Last time wireless charging for the Z30 was a Verizon exclusive. As for quick charging it's a Qualcomm tech and it's built into their SoC's which the Priv is using so we can expect 2.0 at least and perhaps 3.0 with a software update in the future.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-22-15 03:17 AM
    OP, in English what does this even mean?
    10-22-15 07:57 AM
    I'm not an expert but Googling this suggests that Iphone 6 has phase detect auto focus as do Samsung phones.

This is a nice feature but it does not appear to be unique to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:06 AM
    I'm not an expert but Googling this suggests that Iphone 6 has phase detect auto focus as do Samsung phones.

This is a nice feature but it does not appear to be unique to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    See below:

Phase detect CAN be implemented in a non-split-prism camera, but it requires dedicated pixel zones for that use in the sensor and the logic to do so. There are a handful of other cell cameras with it so far (the iPhone 6 being one of note) but this is a rare feature, and it will make a huge difference in focusing speed.
    Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:23 AM
    If it's on a phone like the iPhone, it's not rare. The opposite. It's everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    10-22-15 08:26 AM
    The iPhone 6.

Yes, it's rare, and the reason it is rare is that it requires dedicated sensor support; the sensor itself has to be built specifically for it with pixel zones that are used for this purpose since the means used in an SLR (an optical prism) is not possible given space constraints in the device.

It is even more rare given the high-resolution sensor (the iPhone 6 is an 8MP shooter) because it is quite-difficult to do given the geometry requirements to make it work with a high-resolution sensor, which the BlackBerry Priv has.

Then add to that OIS and you have a shooter that on-balance out-specs even the iPhone 6+ quite handily. Whether it performs is yet to be seen of course, but given that it is rumored to a Sony Exmor sensor with excellent glass in front of it, it very well might.

Never mind the inclusion of both QC 2.0 and both wireless charging standards.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-22-15 08:36 AM
44 12