I'm not too familiar with current phones camera quality.

But the Priv camera seems to lose quite a bit of detail.

The setting wasn't exactly the brightest. But it wasn't dark either.

I've attached a picture of my parakeet's escape as an example 😁

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Camera detail lacking?-121379.jpg  
    01-08-16 10:41 PM
    The Priv camera does quite poorly in low light conditions. The camera app puts in an aggressive post processing that really destroys some photos. In high lighting it's better but my indoor shots, like yours are pretty much garbage. Sad, but it's just not the best camera.
    01-08-16 11:35 PM
    Dont tell me you used 4 times digital zoom and 100% crop of that !
    01-09-16 04:59 AM
    The Priv camera does quite poorly in low light conditions. The camera app puts in an aggressive post processing that really destroys some photos. In high lighting it's better but my indoor shots, like yours are pretty much garbage. Sad, but it's just not the best camera.
    IPhones are the same under those conditions.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-09-16 10:38 AM
    Not as badly as the Priv. I've compared them. Really every camera will suffer under those conditions unless it has a large sensor size. Overall I'm not impressed with the camera. Maybe I've been spoiled but at the same time I like the phone design enough to say "whatever" and just switch to my nikon for pics.
    01-09-16 11:55 AM
    I hate that you can't view larger images in the CB app. Seems like such an oversight and a simple fix yet nothing in any version of the app.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv.
    sonicpix and Stupified like this.
    01-09-16 12:08 PM
    I just compared my Passport SE camera with a friend's Priv. Wow... leaps and bounds win for my Passport SE which took bright sharp photos while Priv's gloomy and blurry.

What the hell. Priv' should be better with the fancy lens.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 01:29 AM
    That is fairly pitiful when compared with the other phones out there.
    S6, G4, and the current Nexus devices all performs better then that.
    Not had the opportunity to compare the One M9 or Moto X against the Priv
    02-06-16 02:29 AM
    I just compared my Passport SE camera with a friend's Priv. Wow... leaps and bounds win for my Passport SE which took bright sharp photos while Priv's gloomy and blurry.

Posted via CB10
    Are you comparing them on a computer screen? or on the devices side by side?
    02-06-16 02:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's a bit of a stretch - My Priv's camera blows away my Passport's camera in every single way.
    paulbbp likes this.
    02-06-16 03:09 AM
    Are you comparing them on a computer screen? or on the devices side by side?
    Device side by side. I took both photos myself after hearing his complain. Something is definitely wrong with his Priv. I suggested to upgrade the software from Google Play by searching for 'BlackBerry Limited'

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 07:18 AM
    Cute parakeet.
    02-06-16 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    And it is. I have both passport and PRIV, and I even posted a comparison here on CB. PRIV's camera is well above passport's camera in pretty much every way. If anything you just had a defective PRIV.
    02-06-16 08:35 AM
    That is fairly pitiful when compared with the other phones out there.
    S6, G4, and the current Nexus devices all performs better then that.
    Not had the opportunity to compare the One M9 or Moto X against the Priv
    not really. Maybe a small step down from a GS6 and a G4, but the PRIV's camera is right up there with the competition.
    paulbbp likes this.
    02-06-16 08:37 AM
    not really. Maybe a small step down from a GS6 and a G4, but the PRIV's camera is right up there with the competition.
    I'm referring to the actual image posted. You'd have to really try on a g4 to get an image that bad.

I agree with you that in outside conditions there's very little between the priv and the major players. But inside shots and low light looks a different story from what I've seen. Still a top 10 camera though
    02-06-16 08:40 AM
    Look at DxOMark. They rate the Priv as one of the better cameras on the market.

Posted via CB10
    paulbbp and david7saad like this.
    02-06-16 08:42 AM
    I'm referring to the actual image posted. You'd have to really try on a g4 to get an image that bad.

I agree with you that in outside conditions there's very little between the priv and the major players. But inside shots and low light looks a different story from what I've seen. Still a top 10 camera though
    The image posted is completely ruined by the downsizing made by the forum upload. even a 10 year old nokia can take a picture that looks better. Also the picture is "zoomed" in, wich just means it's cropped as hell, what kind of detail should we expect?

Pick any phone, zoom in to the max and enjoy crap quality in every one of them because they have no optical zoom, it's all digital zoom, wich is just cropping the image.

Early software of the priv has a bit erratic choice of shutter speed and ISO wich lead to sometimes having noisy images, but that got much better with recent updates.
    I did a early comparison between the PRIV and Passport wich shows the early erratic software choices. But when the settings were chosen right by the software, PRIV's images in low light are pretty good

Check out here the comparison I did:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sport-1051621/
    02-06-16 08:47 AM
    The image posted is completely ruined by the downsizing made by the forum upload. even a 10 year old nokia can take a picture that looks better. Also the picture is "zoomed" in, wich just means it's cropped as hell, what kind of detail should we expect?

Pick any phone, zoom in to the max and enjoy crap quality in every one of them because they have no optical zoom, it's all digital zoom, wich is just cropping the image.

Early software of the priv has a bit erratic choice of shutter speed and ISO wich lead to sometimes having noisy images, but that got much better with recent updates.
    I did a early comparison between the PRIV and Passport wich shows the early erratic software choices. But when the settings were chosen right by the software, PRIV's images in low light are pretty good

Check out here the comparison I did:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sport-1051621/
    Didn't think of the forum having the facebook effect on the picture.
    But glad to see that the priv isn't that terrible in lowlight.
    Still prefer my g4 camera but it's encouraging to see the improvement in the priv camera compared to previous devices.
    02-06-16 08:51 AM
    Abject nonsense.

I ran a series of comparisons between my Passport, Priv and.... Canon 5d3.

As expected my $5,000 camera+lens combination destroyed both the others, but..... it's both big and damn expensive.

Between the Priv and Passport it was no contest; the Priv destroyed the Passport. It had better depth-of-field control, far better resolving power, the JPEG post-processing was much better and color fidelity wasn't even a close call. I intentionally picked challenging lighting conditions that would normally cause me to want to use HDR and similar techniques, but turned all that off.

The Priv was surprisingly good against my 5d3. It will never replace a dSLR in competent hands, but in terms of "getting it done" it certainly acquitted itself well. I was reasonably happy with the Passport's camera for a cellphone but it's not a close comparison at all -- and this was before the last two firmware updates for the Priv camera too.
    paulbbp likes this.
    02-06-16 09:18 AM
    Didn't think of the forum having the facebook effect on the picture.
    But glad to see that the priv isn't that terrible in lowlight.
    Still prefer my g4 camera but it's encouraging to see the improvement in the priv camera compared to previous devices.
    G4 camera is the best in the market on par with GS6. Priv camera seems very competitive at least, maybe not as good, but much closer to the top of the leaderboard compared to previous blackberries that were noticeably behind.
    02-06-16 02:38 PM
    G4 camera is the best in the market on par with GS6. Priv camera seems very competitive at least, maybe not as good, but much closer to the top of the leaderboard compared to previous blackberries that were noticeably behind.
    Oh definitely top of the board when compared to previous BlackBerry devices.
    I'm hoping that BlackBerry continues to try and improve the camera in the next device rather then resting with what they have done so far
    02-06-16 02:46 PM
    I didn't follow-up on the forum earlier, but after the original poster in this thread forwarded his photo, we were pretty certain it was shot at high digital zoom, which could be the equivalent of around 0.95 megapixels (at 4x zoom).
    mithrazor likes this.
    02-07-16 12:40 PM