Since a few weeks my Priv's camera isn't performing as it used to do. Like it's foggy everywhere and also has trouble getting the right focus.

Any ideas?

Camera bad-img_20170702_2005436.jpg
    07-02-17 12:15 PM
    Since a few weeks my Priv's camera isn't performing as it used to do. Like it's foggy everywhere and also has trouble getting the right focus.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170702_2005436.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	426380
    Have you checked if your lens is dirty or smudgy?

I have an example of the difference a clean lens can make. I shot the first image but immediately noticed it looked terrible. While the lens was not awfully dirty, it looked like it had a haze on it. I cleaned it and shot the scene again.

Camera bad-dirty-lens-compare.jpg
    07-02-17 01:01 PM
    Have you checked if your lens is dirty or smudgy?

I have an example of the difference a clean lens can make. I shot the first image but immediately noticed it looked terrible. While the lens was not awfully dirty, it looked like it had a haze on it. I cleaned it and shot the scene again.

Name:	Dirty Lens Compare.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	426382
    That's a big difference! I cleaned it but will do it again, was pretty dirty before but surprisingly didn't make any change really!
    07-02-17 01:03 PM
    That's a big difference! I cleaned it but will do it again, was pretty dirty before but surprisingly didn't make any change really!
    I have to admit - that sample was the Z30 but the results are the same where any lens gets hazed over. On my last vacation, folks tended to use their cell phone on our 3 week hiking trip. Many of their photos looked like the above sample. They stuff the phone in pocket or purse or wherever and they tend to get dirty and not cleaned as often as needed. On real vacations I do use both a camera and the phone.

I now keep my phone is a microfiber eyeglass bag - basically just to keep the lens clean. I had noticed periodically that pictures looked bad. Not as bad as above but still noticeably NOT sharp. I then would look at the lens and notice the haze - too much fine pocket lint? Other? But if I just shot and forget the lens I would have some terrible photos. The microfiber sack means I don't have to remember. Yes, one more impediment to using the phone as a phone or camera. But it has saved more than a few photos.

So good luck and I hope it is just dirt/dust/oil and not a hardware issue. Also, I do find the phone better in natural light and not indoor situations. Indoor shots vary from really good to unremarkable.
    07-02-17 04:25 PM
    I have to admit - that sample was the Z30 but the results are the same where any lens gets hazed over. On my last vacation, folks tended to use their cell phone on our 3 week hiking trip. Many of their photos looked like the above sample. They stuff the phone in pocket or purse or wherever and they tend to get dirty and not cleaned as often as needed. On real vacations I do use both a camera and the phone.

I now keep my phone is a microfiber eyeglass bag - basically just to keep the lens clean. I had noticed periodically that pictures looked bad. Not as bad as above but still noticeably NOT sharp. I then would look at the lens and notice the haze - too much fine pocket lint? Other? But if I just shot and forget the lens I would have some terrible photos. The microfiber sack means I don't have to remember. Yes, one more impediment to using the phone as a phone or camera. But it has saved more than a few photos.

So good luck and I hope it is just dirt/dust/oil and not a hardware issue. Also, I do find the phone better in natural light and not indoor situations. Indoor shots vary from really good to unremarkable.

Think should protect it a bit better too...

Just cleaned it and this is the result, thoughts?

Camera bad-img_20170703_0941173-2.jpg
    07-03-17 01:46 AM
    Think should protect it a bit better too...

Just cleaned it and this is the result, thoughts?

Name:	IMG_20170703_0941173-2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	426413
    Hard to say. The colors look muted but that might have been the lighting. I would expect the greens to be brighter and the roof tiles to also be brighter. I don't tweak the filters much but did you change them? The filter is that circle/shutter looking icon to the rightmost. I see there's a "Calm" which tones down colors.
    07-03-17 09:56 AM
    Hard to say. The colors look muted but that might have been the lighting. I would expect the greens to be brighter and the roof tiles to also be brighter. I don't tweak the filters much but did you change them? The filter is that circle/shutter looking icon to the rightmost. I see there's a "Calm" which tones down colors.
    No filters, compared to my wifes Iphone 7 and it's shocking!
    07-03-17 12:32 PM
    No filters, compared to my wifes Iphone 7 and it's shocking!
    I guess I did not ask - have you tried rebooting? See below. Have you installed any new apps or any that use the camera function? Do you have the flash or light set for always on (not sure if that might change how the lens/apperature reacts? Have you checked for a camera update or maybe UNinstall and REinstall (don't try that yet).

See below also for Safe Mode where only essentials are loaded to screen out possibly offending 3rd party apps.

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

And just for an extra measure, if needed:

Safe Mode:

The next step is placing your device into safe mode.

When used, Safe Mode will disable any third party apps or games you have installed. As a result of this, should your device not exhibit the issue while in Safe Mode it’s safe to assume the issue is specific to an app or game you have installed. Safe Mode may also remove apps and/or widgets from your various home screens when you go back to Normal.

Press and hold the power key
    Tap and hold Power off (that is Press/Hold the Power Off prompt line) when it appears
    When prompted, tap OK to reboot to Safe Mode

To get out of Safe Mode, press and hold the power key followed by tapping Reboot.

After testing, should your device not exhibit any issues, the next step is to remove recently installed applications one by one until the issue is resolved.
    07-03-17 01:23 PM
    Thanks for all the info FF22.

After a few days the Priv went into boot loop... now probably have to say goodbye to this one. Not sure about getting another Priv or a Keyone...
    07-15-17 10:35 PM