Hello,

I have the need to completely block a couple of numbers. The only way I have found to do this to add the numbers to my Blacklist, which auto sends the call to voicemail. Text messages still come in but they're hidden.

I want these people to know they have been blocked. Is there a way for the blocked caller to get a return message or text telling them they are blocked? Maybe an app that will do this??

Thanks
    03-15-17 11:21 AM
    Not aware of an app that will give caller a message and block.
    The drawback to blacklist is, as you said, it still goes to voicemail, and texts still come through.
    I use an app called MR Number, it comes with a list of most the more common telemarketing #'s, and of course you can add your add your own. You can also report numbers, and if enough people report a #, it will be added to the list. Crowd sourcing, so the list stays somewhat up to date.
    It's not perfect, every once in a while it allows a blocked # to ring several times, and if you answer it's not blocked. Even when it does work, it will allow one ring or a partial, I actually like that, cuz I know a call has been blocked, without opening the app.
    It does keep a record of blocked calls, including often the geographical location of the number, and you can look and see what others have reported.
    There are other call block apps out there, some may even be better. Mr Number just happened to be the first I tried, and it works well enough that I haven't gone further.
    03-15-17 02:34 PM
    I used Toysoft's Power Tools on my Z10, worked great to block calls.

I haven't needed that option with my Droid and found other tools for geofencing and other features I used from Power Tools. But they have come to Android and they sill list Call Blocking.... (look for Toysoft as there are a number of Power Tools)
    03-15-17 02:38 PM
    I have tried several call blockers, and am currently using Call Control. Unlike other call blockers, it reacts quickly to spam calls, even ones that are not in my own blacklist. Calls from numbers that are in my blacklist do not go to vmail, there is an option to pick up and hang up. But it doesn't send any messages to the blocked callers.

The downside is the cost - about $34/year. There is a 2-month free trial, and the free version works well for phone numbers that are in the personal blacklist. The paid option is to have access to community generated spam lists. Of course, any number that is not yet in the community database will still ring on your phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-17 03:10 PM
    Hello,

I have the need to completely block a couple of numbers. The only way I have found to do this to add the numbers to my Blacklist, which auto sends the call to voicemail. Text messages still come in but they're hidden.

I want these people to know they have been blocked. Is there a way for the blocked caller to get a return message or text telling them they are blocked? Maybe an app that will do this??

Thanks
    Call your carrier
    03-15-17 04:02 PM
    Call your carrier
    Canadian carriers do not block callers. They will tell you to get an app.
    03-15-17 05:11 PM
    The downside is the cost - about $34/year.
    Sounds like it does exactly what Mr Number does, only charges you.
    And maybe doesn't let the occasional call slip through. For $34.00 a year, I'll deal with the 4 or 5 it misses a year.
    03-15-17 05:50 PM
    And maybe doesn't let the occasional call slip through. For $34.00 a year, I'll deal with the 4 or 5 it misses a year.
    I'm following for curiosity's sake at the moment, but it seems that the other app allows the phone to be hung up and not go through to call vm whereas your app goes to vm.

Or did I get that wrong?
    03-15-17 05:55 PM
    Mr Number does NOT allow to go to VM.
    03-15-17 06:17 PM
    Mr Number does NOT allow to go to VM.
    Okay, thanks, i'm clear now 😀
    Wezard likes this.
    03-15-17 06:55 PM
    I found this in the Play Store. It has a pick up - hang up feature so the calls don't go to voice mail. There's also a feature that sends and auto response text message to blocked calls or messages. I haven't tried it yet but I might.

FWIW, It's not telemarketers im dodging. Its a girl

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...unchback&hl=en
    03-15-17 08:01 PM
    FWIW, It's not telemarketers im dodging. Its a girl
    Missing the telemarketers is icing on the cake. Even without a recording or message, she'll figure out after enough 1 rings to disconnect.
    03-15-17 08:59 PM
    I have found Mr. Number to be very slow. It allows calls to ring several times before the blocking function kicks in. Even numbers in my personal blacklist would ring.

It was the first blocker I tried, and I lasted about 2 weeks with it. Apparently it used to react much faster. I guess the spam database has seen huge growth.
    03-16-17 12:11 AM
    I have found Mr. Number to be very slow. It allows calls to ring several times before the blocking function kicks in. Even numbers in my personal blacklist would ring.
    Very rarely does that to me, every month and a half or so, it was more like twice a month when I first started using it.

I always point out it does mess up once in a while, when I recommend it.
    And I'm open to a better one, but not at $34 a year.
    03-16-17 06:52 AM
    "Call Blockr 10" get from BBW

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 06:50 AM
    "Call Blockr 10" get from BBW

Posted via CB10
    Thanks but they are looking for Android (Priv) call blockers at this time.
    03-22-17 10:38 AM
    Try YouMail, works for me.
    03-22-17 03:40 PM
    I use YouMail for my VM on my Priv and love it, but spoke to a senior person there yesterday who said:

"If a spam caller does not leave a message and it does not go to VM, you can't block it."

He said the only way to block a number from ever ringing was with the app, not online, and that to do it with the app it has to first end up in the Inbox or Spam folder so you can then click on it to Block it.

It seems one can go online and find the call in the History folder and choose Block Caller, but according to their rep that would keep them from leaving a message but would not keep the phone from ringing when they called (while blocking them from in the app once they did leave a message would keep the phone from ringing).

Anyone know if this is true or not?
    05-25-17 05:35 PM
    I use YouMail for my VM on my Priv and love it, but spoke to a senior person there yesterday who said:

"If a spam caller does not leave a message and it does not go to VM, you can't block the number."

He said the only way to block a number from ever ringing was with the app, not online, and that to do it with the app it has to first end up in the Inbox or Spam folder so you can then click on it to Block it.

It seems one can go online and find the call in the History folder and choose Block Caller, but according to their rep that would keep them from leaving a message but would not keep the phone from ringing when they called (while blocking them from in the app once they did leave a message would keep the phone from ringing).

Anyone know if this is true or not?
    05-25-17 05:36 PM