So today in my Priv got both a security and a calendar updated and now it say I have to "allow Calendar to access photo's, media, and files on my device"

When I say "allow" it takes me to an option directing me to turn off the screen overlay settings.

Upon entering that screen the Calendar app is not showing up so I'm not able to turn off temporary overlays for that specific app.

I have tried turning the "temporarily turn off overlays" toggle, closing the calendar app (even going in and force stopping it), and when i go back in to the app, it takes me back through the same loop.

I have tried all the suggestions in this article from blackberry article Unable to set application permissions due to "screen overlay detected" on BlackBerry powered by Android even trying to reboot in safe mode and changing the app permissions directly through the settings and nothing is working.

It seems more than a coincidence that I am having this issue the same day the security update came out and blackberry updated their calendar.

Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have a suggestion for me?
    02-08-17 12:09 AM
    I have the updated calendar and the security update, and my calendar seems to be running fine. I'm syncing calendar with two Gmail accounts. I didn't get the overlay issue when I allowed the updated permissions yesterday.

What is your calendar syncing with? (ie if it's a work calendar, could it be security settings aren't playing nice?)
    02-08-17 08:23 AM
    Mine is working fine as well. The change in permissions is to allow the Calendar to play sounds for events.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    02-08-17 11:46 AM
    I managed to deny permissions for the calendars update, and it won't let me use the calendar now. This is totally absurd. This needs to be changed back to the way it was, otherwise I am not using it.
    Thogek likes this.
    02-09-17 12:31 PM
    The calendar does not need permission to use contacts, and storage to have sound alerts
    Wezard likes this.
    02-09-17 12:40 PM
    The change in permissions is to allow the Calendar to play sounds for events.
    Assuming that that is the case... so... BlackBerry's Android Calendar app now requires file-access permissions so that it can play event-alert sounds, and will not run or function at all without file-access permissions?

Android 6+ supports optional individual permissions, so there is zero reason to kill an entire app (for Android 6+ users, at least) due to the lack of a single permission needed only by one non-vital extra feature.

It'd be nice to find some word from BlackBerry itself on the reason for this odd permissions-requirement change...
    02-10-17 11:58 PM
    Assuming that that is the case... so... BlackBerry's Android Calendar app now requires file-access permissions so that it can play event-alert sounds, and will not run or function at all without file-access permissions?

Android 6+ supports optional individual permissions, so there is zero reason to kill an entire app (for Android 6+ users, at least) due to the lack of a single permission needed only by one non-vital extra feature.

It'd be nice to find some word from BlackBerry itself on the reason for this odd permissions-requirement change...
    That is what popped up when I upgraded, something to that effect. YMMV Do what you wish. I would be more concerned with Google storing my calendar events than I would be of the Calendar being able to access my files.
    02-11-17 12:33 PM
    I'm not sure how concerned I am over the Calendar app accessing files -- which it does not in any sense need to do in order to function as a Calendar -- but many Android users (especially, I suspect, BlackBerry users) are pretty guarded with their app permissions and will be. I'm more concerned over this presumption of permissions, the notion that if it can't perform the non-vital exrta feature of alert-sounds it will refuse to work at all. That's just sloppy. And frustrating. IMO, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.
    02-11-17 01:11 PM
    I set this alert on my phone yesterday. It was 04/01. When the alert popped up, it still showed the 31st. Odd. Anyone experience this?
    04-02-17 11:30 AM