I am planning on buying the Blackberry Priv and was thinking about buying from Shopbb. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pros/Cons of purchasing from Shopbb vs AT&T. Also, if I purchase from Shopbb is there anything specific that needs to be done on the settings to work on AT&T? Is the service any better or worse on a Priv from Shopbb vs from AT&T?

Thanks
    12-27-15 11:44 PM
    I am planning on buying the Blackberry Priv and was thinking about buying from Shopbb. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pros/Cons of purchasing from Shopbb vs AT&T. Also, if I purchase from Shopbb is there anything specific that needs to be done on the settings to work on AT&T? Is the service any better or worse on a Priv from Shopbb vs from AT&T?

Thanks
    I think from shopbb you will get updates quicker, but at at&t you will have insurance on phone every month (that you pay for it). I got mine from b and h photo. It was linked from bb web site. No issues and there is a month by month warranty you can pay for through bb but I would feel better if I could just walk into a place and say, hey this is broke. I need a new one.
    12-28-15 12:46 AM
    From the point of view of resale value an unbranded and unlocked phone always commands a higher price when it comes time to re-sell.

Posted via CB10
    eallan likes this.
    12-28-15 12:57 AM
    Your guaranteed wireless charging with the att model and updates are usually a week or 2 behind and the phone cost 735+tax. B&h will save you tax in most states but you won't be sure which model your receiving and whether or not it has wireless charging

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-28-15 12:51 PM
    Your cheapest option is Swappa.com. I got mine for $570 shipped, and it came with the sync pod, a BB car charger, and a regular charger (and some cheap-feeling case). Another user just bought one for $525 phone by itself with a charger. Keep an eye on Swappa and you'll find amazing deals on Privs by loyal BB fans who find out they don't want Android or a slider phone after all.
    12-28-15 01:28 PM
    Uninformed comment. From shopbb you get the STV-100 which supports wireless charging if purchased in the us. If you are in canada you will receive the version without wireless charging.

12-28-15 01:30 PM
    Thanks everyone for the feedback/comments. I'm not really concerned about resale as I usually keep my phone for a while. I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is what benefit do I have when buying from shopbb or should I just pick up from the AT&T store since they have it in Stock?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 01:51 PM
    I have one ShopBB and 2 AT&T versions in my family: ShopBB Priv will receive updates faster and doesn't have AT&T bloatware (and I believe is unlocked), AT&T you can get much cheaper if you are up for contract renewal (I paid $699 for ShopBB and $249 for AT&T with contract renewal). I like faster updates so I am using the ShopBB Priv (kids have AT&T model) - only issue I had was I had to call AT&T and get them to add IMEI to my account manually to get visual voicemail to work.

ETA: I was totally not impressed with the way ShopBB handled pre-orders so I don't know that I would necessarily recommend them, but it is nice to get updates when BlackBerry releases them and I don't like the way AT&T drags their feet on updates.
    Raul Mena likes this.
    12-28-15 03:17 PM

Thanks
    If you are on AT&T and buy the unlocked Priv, you won't have advanced LTE services such as, VoLTE and HD Voice. If these 2 features aren't important to you then I would recommend buying the unlocked variant. I learned this the hard way by buying an unlocked Priv only to find out that the enhanced services were only available on the AT&T variant so now I own the AT&T version as well.

If you are going to T-Mobile, this won't be a factor.
    Jonneh likes this.
    12-28-15 05:14 PM
    If you are on AT&T and buy the unlocked Priv, you won't have advanced LTE services such as, VoLTE and HD Voice. If these 2 features aren't important to you then I would recommend buying the unlocked variant. I learned this the hard way by buying an unlocked Priv only to find out that the enhanced services were only available on the AT&T variant so now I own the AT&T version as well.

If you are going to T-Mobile, this won't be a factor.
    Mines a Shop BB, stuck my AT&T SIM in and works great. gmoneyroxit is correct about advanced LTE stuff not being available with a BYOD on AT&T. But voice quality is top notch without it.

With ShopBB, you get tech support from BB, a big deal if you need it, cuz AT&T tech support is clueless.

Shop BB also gives you the option of slapping in a T-Mo SIM.

Historically AT&T is terrible about releasing updates, if it were only a week or two, might be OK, but sometimes it's a month or two. I can just imagine them sitting on Android 6, (Marshmallow) for the better part of a year. That's a guess.

If you get it from anywhere except these 2, make damn sure it's an STV100-1

BTW, if you buy from AT&T, and get it unlocked, it's not truly unlocked, all the bloat / spyware will still be there, and you will still get updates from only from AT&T, at their discretion.
    12-28-15 07:56 PM
    So it sounds like purchasing from Shopbb the negative is that you lose out on advanced LTE services. Anyone know if there will ever be an update changing this?
    The negative from purchasing with AT&T is the late updates and the preloaded AT&T Bloatware
    12-28-15 08:56 PM
    Returns/exchanges are much easier and quicker with ATT. There are a lot of horror stories about shopbb in this regard--long waits, refusals of warranty claims, etc.
    12-28-15 09:35 PM
    So it sounds like purchasing from Shopbb the negative is that you lose out on advanced LTE services. Anyone know if there will ever be an update changing this?
    The negative from purchasing with AT&T is the late updates and the preloaded AT&T Bloatware
    It's not a function of the phone, it's an AT&T policy. Unless you are a heavy user of data, WHILE you are also talking on the phone, you'll never notice. T-Mo is much more friendly to BOYD, they allow it, identical phone.

And tech support at AT&T is pitiful.

Upside to AT&T is they have physical stores that you can drive to, and pretty good customer service, as long as it's not technical.
    12-28-15 10:14 PM
    If money not an issue shop Blackberry all day. Just sold my shop Blackberry passport after 1.5 year of use for 360. And used it to buy priv

12-28-15 11:43 PM
    It's not a function of the phone, it's an AT&T policy. Unless you are a heavy user of data, WHILE you are also talking on the phone, you'll never notice. T-Mo is much more friendly to BOYD, they allow it, identical phone.

And tech support at AT&T is pitiful.

Upside to AT&T is they have physical stores that you can drive to, and pretty good customer service, as long as it's not technical.
    Not exactly true, an unlocked iPhone app still gets those att services, but you are right, my Priv does not.

To me boils down to updates, if those are important get from Shop BlackBerry or Amazon.

12-29-15 12:29 AM
    Actually, if you purchase from ShopBlackberry.ca, the Priv is unlocked and supports wireless charging. It's the Canadian carrier versions that don't support wireless charging. FYI

12-29-15 12:49 AM
    Actually, if you purchase from ShopBlackberry.ca, the Priv is unlocked and supports wireless charging. It's the Canadian carrier versions that don't support wireless charging. FYI

Forgot to mention that in Both of my previous posts. I personally didn't think it was a big deal, till I tried it. I love it.
    Why the h**l BB gave them both the same model # I don't get.
    12-29-15 07:12 AM
    Not exactly true, an unlocked iPhone app still gets those att services, but you are right, my Priv does not.

To me boils down to updates, if those are important get from Shop BlackBerry or Amazon.

Figures the iPhone gets privileged treatment.
    12-29-15 07:16 AM
    Out of curiosity, I wonder what APN people are using with ShopBB phones on AT&T?

if the phone is provisioned as a Priv, I wonder if using the AT&T APN for next gen phones would make any difference.

12-30-15 01:35 AM
    NAME = ATT Phone
    APN = phone
    Proxy = Not set
    Port = Not set
    Username = Not set
    Password = Not set
    Server = Not set
    MMSC = http://mmsc..mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy = proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port = 80
    MCC = 310
    MNC = 410
    Auth type = Not set
    APN type = default.mms.supt.fota.hipi
    APN protocol = iPv4/iPv6
    APN roaming protocol = iPv4/iPv6
    APN enable/disable = enabled
    MVNO type = none
    MVNO value = none

All are greyed out -- The screen before that lists ATT Phone (checked) - Defense Mobile/PRODATA (unchecked)
    - and two options for TFDATA/tfdata, (both unchecked). Frankly I have no idea what the defense or tfdata are about.
    12-30-15 06:05 AM
    As much as I hate to say it I would probably do shopBB for the reasons stated above. I would also probably buy BlackBerry's insurance plan it seems comparable to carrier insurance plans. I would be less worried about any fine print or exclusions with BlackBerry's insurance than I would with ATT.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 08:06 AM
    Also, I feel you should know that on the AT&T version, you're allowed to "Disable" the bloatware. So, that's nice.
    12-30-15 08:16 AM
    Also, I feel you should know that on the AT&T version, you're allowed to "Disable" the bloatware. So, that's nice.
    You can disable it, but it's still there, taking up memory, and the Icons can't be gotten rid of. You can move the Icons over onto an otherwise unused page.
    The advanced LTE, as far as I know, only comes in if you are using data and voice at the same time. You can still do both at once, but it drops you back to 3G or 4G, so the data is ever so slightly slower. I can't tell the difference, in the Atlanta area anyway, haven't tried it elsewhere yet.
    12-30-15 01:28 PM
    On my AT&T Priv, the APN is nxtgenphone

If you were to set up that APN, I am curious if that might enable HD Voice, especially if you are properly provisioned on AT&T's side.

Last edited by TI_Master; 12-30-15 at 02:58 PM.
    12-30-15 02:31 PM
    Shop blackberry !!!

12-30-15 03:09 PM
54 123