I realize that the price (in Canada) for the Priv is $899 online at shop.blackberry and $100 less from the various carriers ie Telus, Bell, Rogers etc...unfortunately my service provider will not be carrying the Priv.

Other than the price, is there a difference between buying the Priv from shopbb versus outright from a carrier?

Posted using my sick Z30
    10-31-15 10:25 PM
    Yes, the carrier versions will be factory locked to their own network and the shopbb versions will be factory unlocked and only GSM compatible. Also the carrier versions would be required for non GSM carriers such as Verizon and Sprint in the US that still use CDMA.

Typed from my AT&T passport
    Mikey88Chaos likes this.
    10-31-15 10:28 PM
    Updates! Unlocked ShopBlackBerry devices get OS updates pushed directly from BlackBerry while carrier devices get it from the carriers, which usually takes several weeks (sometimes months) before they test it and release it for download. Not to mention ShopBlackBerry devices come unlocked for use with any carrier.

RED  Q5 SQR100-2/10.3.2.2789 on Bell Mobility Network
    Mikey88Chaos likes this.
    10-31-15 10:30 PM
    I realize that the price (in Canada) for the Priv is $899 online at shop.blackberry and $100 less from the various carriers ie Telus, Bell, Rogers etc...unfortunately my service provider will not be carrying the Priv.

Other than the price, is there a difference between buying the Priv from shopbb versus outright from a carrier?

Posted using my sick Z30
    Also a suggestion posted this evening on another thread that the shop BB Canada priv WILL have wireless charging.
    Mikey88Chaos likes this.
    10-31-15 10:36 PM
    OK that makes sense. My carrier uses GSM so it's ok. Receiving updates directly and not having to wait for carrier testing and approval might be worth paying $100 more.

Posted using my sick Z30
    10-31-15 10:36 PM
    Not to mention ugly carrier branding.

Posted via CB10
    nbaliga likes this.
    10-31-15 10:38 PM
    According to TELUS website it will have more bands than shopBB
    10-31-15 10:45 PM
    Also a suggestion posted this evening on another thread that the shop BB Canada priv WILL have wireless charging.
    Until this is 100% confirmed I am still on the fence. I will definitely pay more for wireless charging.
    10-31-15 10:47 PM
    Until this is 100% confirmed I am still on the fence. I will definitely pay more for wireless charging.
    Really? What's so great about it?

Posted using my sick Z30
    10-31-15 10:48 PM
    One minor carrier benefit is they will send the phone off for you for warranty work and give you a loaner (50$ refundable at Rogers)
    Last edited by mmmmm127; 10-31-15 at 11:08 PM.
    10-31-15 10:50 PM
    Really? What's so great about it?

Posted using my sick Z30
    Easy access overnight (no charging cable to fiddle with) for one...
    10-31-15 10:52 PM

Posted using my sick Z30
    Which carrier are you with?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 10:53 PM
    2 benefits of wireless charging for me is that there is less physical wear on the USB port and the convenience of putting it down without the hassle of plugging in a cable to charge. While these things may sound like minor details, they are important details for me. It's hard to really understand until you do use wireless charging.
    10-31-15 10:54 PM
    Which carrier are you with?

Posted via CB10
    Videotron in Quebec.

Posted using my sick Z30
    10-31-15 10:56 PM
    According to TELUS website it will have more bands than shopBB
    More bands but guaranteed no wireless charging. I'm going to do a research trip tomorrow.
    10-31-15 10:59 PM
    Someone bring their qi charging pad to a store and test
    10-31-15 11:01 PM
    More bands but guaranteed no wireless charging. I'm going to do a research trip tomorrow.
    For me wireless charging is useless as I'm a truck driver that has no electrical power yet.
    Let me know
    10-31-15 11:02 PM
    Someone bring their qi charging pad to a store and test
    I think the Priv sync pod is going to be good enough for me .unless of course I can get my hands on a wireless charging pad for cheaper...

Posted using my sick Z30
    10-31-15 11:04 PM
    Wireless charging pads can be found for about the same price as the sync pod.
    10-31-15 11:06 PM
    It's confirmed that shopblackberry's STV100-1 contains wireless charging either you buy in Canada or USA , they all ship from the warehouse in the states.

I remember seeing the tweets from all the big 3 in Canada saying that it will not have wireless charging if you buy from them.

Telus is listing different bands which could add to the possibility that it will be a different variant of the Priv aka STV100-3.

Also who ever was thinking of buying the hard shell case and sync pod for the phone , crackberry has a bundle for both at the price of one. $60ish
    10-31-15 11:08 PM
    For me wireless charging is useless as I'm a truck driver that has no electrical power yet.
    Let me know
    For the years I had my Pre (3), I installed a Touchstone in my car. It doubled as a magnetic car mount. Place on dock, hit the button on my Bluetooth adapter, bam. Wireless charging AND audio.
    10-31-15 11:11 PM
    For the years I had my Pre (3), I installed a Touchstone in my car. It doubled as a magnetic car mount. Place on dock, hit the button on my Bluetooth adapter, bam. Wireless charging AND audio.
    Touchstone???
    10-31-15 11:48 PM
    Hey I have seen the extra bands listed. Wondering it that was just a mistake maybe. Did Telus confirm no wireless charging?

Also what thread suggested that the Canadian shopblackberry.com phone may have it?

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 12:14 AM
    Hey I have seen the extra bands listed. Wondering it that was just a mistake maybe. Did Telus confirm no wireless charging?

Also what thread suggested that the Canadian shopblackberry.com phone may have it?

Posted via CB10
    Ref the other poster, I couldn't find it. It was this evening and followed a call to shopbb who acknowledged to him they were in error and the spec sheet would be changed
    11-01-15 12:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not directly, but Bell was sure "all carriers" in Canada do not have it. They seem to know which model all of the Big 3 are getting at least. Don't know about Wind, MTS, Sasktel and Eastlink.
    11-01-15 06:38 AM
26 12