CRAZY BUG REPORT:

When I try to type a numeric dollar amount ($ sign followed by digits) in the text of a new message in the Gmail app using the BlackBerry Keyboard (physical or virtual), autocorrect kicks in and alters the number while I'm still typing it.

For example, say I am composing a new message in the Gmail app and I try to type $1234. I hit the $ key, and I see $. Then I hit the 1 key, and I see $1. So far, so good. Then I hit the 2 key, and now I see $112 instead of $12. I keep typing: 3 and I see $1123. Then I press 4, and now I see $112311234.

The change in the number happens in real time, while I am still in the middle of the number, before I hit space or a punctuation key.

If I hit backspace and try to correct the autocorrect error, the number changes again every time I hit backspace. It's nearly impossible to catch up and type the number I want to type, because it changes that quickly.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time in Gmail, but I haven't observed it in any other app (I've tried Word, Google Doc, and a couple of notepad-type apps), and it only happens with the BlackBerry Keyboard (not with the Gboard Keyboard). Very bizarrely, it only happens after a dollar sign, and not if I just type a regular number -- and not even if I type a euro sign or pound sign. It doesn't happen if I put a space between the dollar sign and the number (which is my temporary workaround), but of course there's not supposed to be a space between a dollar sign and the number.

I assume autocorrect has something to do with this, because the number that it changes into is displayed in the autocorrect area above the keyboard (and no, I'm not accidentally swiping up or tapping the autocorrect region).

I have autocorrect and automatic substitution turned off, so even if I type "teh" it doesn't correct itself. But for some reason, it insists on correcting "$123" or any other multi-digit number immediately following a dollar sign.

Can anyone else reproduce this? This is obviously a hugely high-priority bug, if it's real, so how do I report it to BlackBerry?

My Priv is running Android 6.0.1 (Verizon) and has the most-recent Gmail update.
    Attached Thumbnails BUG: BlackBerry Keyboard autocorrect gone wild in Gmail-presentation1.jpg  
    Last edited by jon9999; 03-24-17 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Clarify that this is in the Gmail app, not the BB Hub
    03-24-17 02:05 AM
    @LiamQ from BlackBerry maybe can chime in on this matter
    03-24-17 02:26 AM
    Hi OP I don't use gmail but for testing I just enable it the bug doesn't happen with original factory gmail version , but after I updated the gmail app I can reproduce the bug , maybe for now downgrade to older version of gmail as workaround?
    03-24-17 02:35 AM
    Hi OP I don't use gmail but for testing I just enable it the bug doesn't happen with original factory gmail version , but after I updated the gmail app I can reproduce the bug , maybe for now downgrade to older version of gmail as workaround?
    Okay, so this is definitely a bug and not user error! It must have been introduced with either a recent Gmail update or a recent BlackBerry Keyboard update.

So:

1) How do we get this to RIM's attention so they can fix it? Obviously, if the BlackBerry is changing dollar amounts in users' emails, that's a hugely urgent flaw that merits immediate attention.

2) I don't know how to downgrade to a slightly earlier version of Gmail. Restoring the factory version is not an option, because it's dozens of versions old, and it's not secure. Is there a way to roll back just one or two versions?
    03-24-17 02:47 AM
    Okay, so this is definitely a bug and not user error! It must have been introduced with either a recent Gmail update or a recent BlackBerry Keyboard update.

So:

1) How do we get this to RIM's attention so they can fix it? Obviously, if the BlackBerry is changing dollar amounts in users' emails, that's a hugely urgent flaw that merits immediate attention.

2) I don't know how to downgrade to a slightly earlier version of Gmail. Restoring the factory version is not an option, because it's dozens of versions old, and it's not secure. Is there a way to roll back just one or two versions?
    Try looking at apkmirror , look for one or two older version
    03-24-17 02:57 AM
    03-24-17 03:01 AM
    How do we get this to RIM's attention so they can fix it? Obviously, if the BlackBerry is changing dollar amounts in users' emails, that's a hugely urgent flaw that merits immediate attention.

(I tried the bbapsupport email, but it got me an autoreply that directed me to a BlackBerry Support website that asked me to fill out a form that told me I can't submit the form because my Priv is not an Android device. Uh-huh.)
    03-24-17 03:02 AM
    Just tested with older version 14 march the bug exist
    03-24-17 03:05 AM
    http://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Gmail
    Is that safe? It strikes me as tremendously risky to download an app with as many permissions as Gmail from an unknown source like that. Who knows who might have injected malicious code into whatever is posted there?

But let's not get off-topic. The thread is about the bug and getting it fixed, not about finding an unofficial (and IMO unsafe) substitute for the latest version of Gmail. How do we get this very big bug to the immediate attention of RIM and/or Google so they can figure out whether the problem is the Gmail app or the BB Keyboard app and then fix it?
    03-24-17 03:06 AM
    Is that safe? It strikes me as tremendously risky to download an app with as many permissions as Gmail from an unknown source like that. Who knows who might have injected malicious code into whatever is posted there?

But let's not get off-topic. The thread is about the bug and getting it fixed, not finding an unofficial substitute for the latest version of Gmail. How do we get this to the attention of RIM and/or Google so they can figure out whether the problem is the Gmail app or the BB Keyboard app and then fix it?
    /blackberry-hub-plus-suite-f459/blackberry-representatives-here-forum-1103064/

Few BlackBerry devs are watching this forum maybe you can contact them
    jon9999 likes this.
    03-24-17 03:09 AM
    Few BlackBerry devs are watching this forum maybe you can contact them
    Okay, from the link the Moderator posted, the appropriate expert appears to be @Mark Cullum. Let's see if Mark can reproduce the bug and, if so, if he can escalate it to the development team for their attention.

Thank you, Uzi.
    Uzi likes this.
    03-24-17 03:25 AM
    Okay, from the link the Moderator posted, the appropriate expert appears to be @Mark Cullum. Let's see if Mark can reproduce the bug and, if so, if he can escalate it to the development team for their attention.

Thank you, Uzi.
    I'm a bit confused, this is a gmail issue, as determined by those who posted above. It's google you want to alert.
    03-24-17 08:11 AM
    This bug was reported in the forum about two or so days ago. It does not happen if you use the Hub for your Gmail.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-24-17 09:55 AM
    I'm a bit confused, this is a gmail issue, as determined by those who posted above. It's google you want to alert.
    I believe this is a BlackBerry Keyboard issue, actually. that happens to manifest itself in the Gmail app. It doesn't happen with the Gmail Keyboard, and my billions of Gmail-using friends with non-BlackBerry Android phones aren't reporting the issue.

This bug was reported in the forum about two or so days ago. It does not happen if you use the Hub for your Gmail.
    Well, I don't use the Hub for my Gmail. I use Gmail for my Gmail. I don't use the Hub at all, actually, because the last time I tried it, it didn't allow the user to select among several "From" addresses associated with a single Gmail account when composing a message. That's required functionality for me, and the Gmail app has it.

EDIT: I found the other thread mentioned by @FF22 (the Ambassador formerly known as F2). It's here, but it doesn't offer a solution.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jon9999; 03-24-17 at 11:58 AM.
    03-24-17 11:33 AM
    I believe this is a BlackBerry Keyboard issue, actually. that happens to manifest itself in the Gmail app. It doesn't happen with the Gmail Keyboard, and my billions of Gmail-using friends with non-BlackBerry Android phones aren't reporting the issue.

Well, I don't use the Hub for my Gmail. I use Gmail for my Gmail. I don't use the Hub at all, actually.

Can you please post the link for the other report? I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
    I had trouble finding it also but here it is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12811683
    03-24-17 11:55 AM
    Thanks. That post seems to confirm that this is specifically a [/B]BlackBerry Keyboard[/B] issue, as one poster was able to reproduce the issue by installing BlackBerry Keyboard on a non-BlackBerry device. I've already tried Gmail on a non-BlackBerry device that doesn't have BlackBerry Keyboard, and the issue doesn't exist.

So, Hello Moto Hello BlackBerry? Are you there?
    03-24-17 12:01 PM
    Thanks. That post seems to confirm that this is specifically a [/B]BlackBerry Keyboard[/B] issue, as one poster was able to reproduce the issue by installing BlackBerry Keyboard on a non-BlackBerry device. I've already tried Gmail on a non-BlackBerry device that doesn't have BlackBerry Keyboard, and the issue doesn't exist.

So, Hello Moto Hello BlackBerry? Are you there?
    I'm not sure if anybody has reported it to BB. Hopefully, someone has reported it. It is an odd quirk, for sure.

And I'm not sure how active some of the BB employees are in threads anymore.

I use the Hub so have not encountered the issue.
    03-24-17 12:04 PM
    This won't be an overnight fix obviously but if it's reported it should get resolved. As mentioned by others a Gmail update seems to have caused it, but it may be on either google or BlackBerry's side.
    How about if you tried using a different third party keyboard in the meanwhile, or using the hub for your Gmail for now.
    03-24-17 12:06 PM
    I'm not sure if anybody has reported it to BB. Hopefully, someone has reported it.
    So how do I report it? I tried the BlackBerry Support website, but it told me "Your BlackBerry Smartphone is not a BlackBerry Smartphone powered by Android." Uh-huh. I tried calling the BlackBerry Priv Support phone number, but the recording said that BlackBerry is no longer offering a dedicated Priv phone number (!!!) and transferred me to the general Support line, which said I could purchase support for $355 per incident. (Actually, it said 35 dollars per incident, but I can't type 35 dollars on my BlackBerry without it changing itself to $355.)

How about if you tried using a different third party keyboard in the meanwhile, or using the hub for your Gmail for now.
    None of the keyboard apps I've tried play well with the physical keyboard, and they don't work with the many automatic substitution phrases I've entered into BlackBerry Keyboard over the months and that I depend on. Do you have a recommendation?

And using the Hub is not an option for me, because of the lack of multiple "From" addresses on the same account, the absence of automatic BCC on outgoing mail, and the requirement for app-specific passwords for 2-factor authentication (unless that's changed since I last tried the Hub a year ago).
    03-24-17 12:13 PM
    So how do I report it?
    Don't worry, we know about it. We'll investigate.

And using the Hub is not an option for me, because of the lack of multiple "From" addresses on the same account, the absence of automatic BCC on outgoing mail, and the requirement for app-specific passwords for 2-factor authentication (unless that's changed since I last tried the Hub a year ago).
    Automatic BCC is supported as of Hub 1.5.1.
    Uzi, anon(3641385) and FF22 like this.
    03-24-17 01:16 PM
    This seems to have gone away with the latest Gmail app update. Note that it had been similarly wacky with the Minuum keyboard previously.

... Mark (no longer working at BlackBerry, but still a PRIV user)
    FF22 likes this.
    03-31-17 04:51 PM
    This seems to have gone away with the latest Gmail app update.
    Indeed, it has -- although here were updates to both Gmail and BB Keyboard recently (Gmail ver 7.3.13.151698241.release with BB KB ver 2.5.1.11009), so it's not clear which one was causing the issue. Thanks for pointing that out, Mark, and thanks for getting it fixed, @LiamQ.
    03-31-17 05:01 PM
    @LiamQ,

Unfortunately, fixing this bug appears to have caused a related regression bug, this time with words rather than numbers. Please see my new thread at Multi-line word substitution shortcuts in GMail.
    04-13-17 01:04 AM