Hi friends!

Using a BB Classic. Have just ordered a Priv. AT&T Unlocked to be used on a non-AT&T sim. I presume it will have Android 5.

What are the things I should do first?

1. Should I first seek to update to the latest Marshmallow, directly/through Autoloaders?
    2. Or should I first use Blackberry Link to transfer all the contacts to the Priv?
    3. Is it wise to transfer data from the Classic to the Priv using the Link?
    4. Which popular apps can I not use on the Priv?

Thanks,

Pankaj Jaju, Goa
    07-18-16 08:43 PM
    I would personally update to marshmallow first , back up all the data on the classic through link.

Do a transfer after both are complete and there are no applications you will be restricted from on android.

Posted via Priv
    07-18-16 08:46 PM
    Thanks! That was very prompt.

Are you suggesting that I can transfer all my contacts as well as data (emails/email settings/messages, etc) from the Classic to the Priv via the Link, effortlessly?

Pankaj Jaju
    07-18-16 08:59 PM
    Not thru link. Content Transfer.

Edit: although if you have your contacts and calendars on an exchange account that is even better.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    07-18-16 09:05 PM
    Hello!

I was on the same boat as you, as I have a $299.00 "unlocked" AT&T PRIV, and what I did was:

1) Factory Reset (I know, it was already on factory, but hey, you never know)
    2) Download and install MM via autoloader
    3) Factory Reset (Again)
    4) Let it settle through the night and charge it all night
    5) Tweak and configure the phone (delete or deactivate all apps you don't use), restrict app background data on all others that are non important
    6) Load the information from the previous phone, I just synched my Gmail account that has all my mail/contacts and didn't import anything from content transfer so I wouldn't know how to help you there.
    7) Make a backup of my SD Card on my laptop, insert the SD Card on my PRIV to format it. Take a picture and video from the PRIV to the SD Card
    8) Load the pictures and videos from my backup to the newly created folder of my SD Card (where your picture and videos went)
    9) Enjoy

The first 24 hours, and specially when it's going through the first sync the phone will get somewhat hot and the battery life will be not as good, but after that you'll see a noticeable difference, at least I did.

Hope this helps
    07-18-16 10:04 PM
    Hi!

It sure should help. Thanks to all of you.

One thing: How long does a Factory Reset take? On the BB Classic, it took ages!

Pankaj
    07-18-16 10:17 PM
    Hello!

I was on the same boat as you, as I have a $299.00 "unlocked" AT&T PRIV, and what I did was:

3) Factory Reset (Again)
    5) Tweak and configure the phone (delete or deactivate all apps you don't use), restrict app background data on all others that are non important
    6) Load the information from the previous phone, I just synched my Gmail account that has all my mail/contacts and didn't import anything from content transfer so I wouldn't know how to help you there.
    7) Make a backup of my SD Card on my laptop, insert the SD Card on my PRIV to format it. Take a picture and video from the PRIV to the SD Card
    8) Load the pictures and videos from my backup to the newly created folder of my SD Card (where your picture and videos went)
    9) Enjoy

The first 24 hours, and specially when it's going through the first sync the phone will get somewhat hot and the battery life will be not as good, but after that you'll see a noticeable difference, at least I did.

Hope this helps
    I would update all BlackBerry apps after step 3.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    07-18-16 11:53 PM
    Hello!

3) Factory Reset (Again)
    9) Enjoy

Hope this helps
    Hi!

Just got my Priv. AT&T Unlocked. I havent put my non-AT&T sim in yet. And I wish to upgrade to Marshmallow.

When I try to do a Fastboot, the screen gives me 3 options and the Purple LED lits up. When I use the Volume keys and select the "Reboot into Fastboot" and press the Power switch to select this option, the screen again comes to the same opening screen, showing me the 3 options with the cursor on the 1st option i.e. "Continue the bootup".

Should I simply "continue the bootup" now?

Please bear with me and help

Pankaj
    07-19-16 11:48 AM
    Hi!

Just got my Priv. AT&T Unlocked. I havent put my non-AT&T sim in yet. And I wish to upgrade to Marshmallow.

When I try to do a Fastboot, the screen gives me 3 options and the Purple LED lits up. When I use the Volume keys and select the "Reboot into Fastboot" and press the Power switch to select this option, the screen again comes to the same opening screen, showing me the 3 options with the cursor on the 1st option i.e. "Continue the bootup".

Pankaj
    You're going to end up bricking your phone . Just do this.

Step one. Buy a At&t sim card
    Step two. Check for update via wi-fi.
    Step three. Update your phone.

Posted via the Priv for Android
    07-19-16 02:26 PM
    Hi!

Pankaj
    Yes, I got into the same dilemma, only to find out that I was on the fastboot menu already, meaning that the screen with the 3 options IS the fastboot menu, that's why when you choose it, you return to that screen.

From there you can load the autoloader, but remember of installing the PRIV's correct usb drivers on your PC so it recognises the phone

Hope this helps
    07-19-16 06:28 PM
    Just do whatever you feel like its right hahah I honestly don't think theres a huge difference.
    07-19-16 08:22 PM
    Dont drop it
    07-19-16 10:08 PM
    You're going to end up bricking your phone . Just do this.

Step one. Buy a At&t sim card
    Step two. Check for update via wi-fi.
    Step three. Update your phone.

Posted via the Priv for Android
    Thats what the autoloader is for.
    07-19-16 10:53 PM
    Hi! Pankaj, Congrats for the new device. Enjoy the device. The Marshmallow on the Priv is good and very stable.

** Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2888
    07-20-16 01:07 AM
    Buy a charger with QC Quickcharge 2.0 capability, because the charger that comes with the priv is slow (but not as slow as a wireless charger).

Get Marshmallow from a carrier update. Then the newest versions of all the genuine BB apps.

Delete or Disable apps that people have found to cause trouble (see forums).

Reduce the frequency of data exchange, location, etc apps are asking for.

Try to avoid restarts, it just makes the device hot from restarting everything from the beginning.

Buy a good fast microSD card and store most of your stuff there, not on the device.

Give it some time to settle and don't judge it too early, it has some features that are not available on other smartphones and these take some time to get the habits and get used to what's available.

Have fun :-)
    FF22 likes this.
    07-20-16 05:10 AM
    Hi! Pankaj, Congrats for the new device. Enjoy the device. The Marshmallow on the Priv is good and very stable.

** Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2888
    Yes sir! Updated to 6.0.1 and all's well with the world.

So far.

Pankaj
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    07-20-16 09:32 AM
    Thanks, Gajja.

Though I have some issues, which I need to Q on a new thread.

Pankaj
    07-20-16 09:33 AM
    first thing to do: install pokemon go
    07-20-16 11:14 AM
    Yes sir! Updated to 6.0.1 and all's well with the world.

So far.

Pankaj
    Great .
    07-20-16 11:47 AM