...?

Posted via CB10
    .. wait what? Aren't 'tactical' and 'strategy' synonyms?
    09-22-15 02:09 PM
    tactical = short term, strategical = long term

You can think of it like tactics is what soldiers use when they advance on the enemy, strategy is what armies do when they advance on the enemy.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-22-15 04:11 PM
    Thank you.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-22-15 08:52 PM
    ...?

Posted via CB10
    X 2!!!!!
    09-22-15 09:01 PM
    The war is over for BlackBerry....

This isn't about tactics or strategy, this is about doing all that is left to you to survive. While I hope BlackBerry sells several million of these Sliders and is able to stay in the hardware business. BlackBerry has basically just joined one of the wining sides.
    09-23-15 11:19 AM
    Good question. I think they will sell the BB10 phones on their website, not just to governments etc. A lot of people on this site used BB10 even before the android runtime came out, and will so again. A small following, but still.
    The Android runtime has been there from the beginning of BB10 - it wasn't added as an afterthought. The original strategy hinged on Android apps. Anyone else remember all the Port-A-Thons? These were pre-release events where BlackBerry paid Android developers to move their Android apps to BlackBerry World. Not rewrite their apps as native BB10 apps. Just make their Android apps available in BBW.

Don't see how an even smaller market will make this failed approach any more viable.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-15 11:35 AM
    The Android runtime has been there from the beginning of BB10 - it wasn't added as an afterthought. The original strategy hinged on Android apps. Anyone else remember all the Port-A-Thons? These were pre-release events where BlackBerry paid Android developers to move their Android apps to BlackBerry World. Not rewrite their apps as native BB10 apps. Just make their Android apps available in BBW.
    True, it was there because they knew it would be harder to get people to do native apps. Even BlackBerry realised that it was close to impossible to convince people to make native apps while they thought the company would go under.

Don't see how an even smaller market will make this failed approach any more viable.
    The difference I tried to point out is that this can only be done when people no longer think the company will go bankrupt in the next months.
    09-23-15 12:11 PM
    The difference I tried to point out is that this can only be done when people no longer think the company will go bankrupt in the next months.
    No one thought it was going bankrupt at the beginning (because it wasn't - that came 9 months later). They just weren't interested because they didn't see BB10 as a viable market/ecosystem.
    09-23-15 01:16 PM
    No one thought it was going bankrupt at the beginning (because it wasn't - that came 9 months later). They just weren't interested because they didn't see BB10 as a viable market/ecosystem.
    I beg to differ. Everyone I knew thought, and everything I read indicated, that BlackBerry was a company that had been left behind by the competition (Apple/Google), and would soon cease to exist.
    09-23-15 01:30 PM
    I beg to differ. Everyone I knew thought, and everything I read indicated, that BlackBerry was a company that had been left behind by the competition (Apple/Google), and would soon cease to exist.
    There's a fine line between prognostication and the ultimate reality. For years BlackBerry's eventual demise has been predicted if they didn't find a way to be competitive.

Regardless, they went big with trying your approach of getting developers onboard before the launch of BB10 (and thus before things got really bad).

It didn't help. And that was with Z10 the Z10 being the best-selling BlackBerry device ever.

If app developers weren't turning out when the device was at its nadir (such that it was), I don't really see any reason for them to turn out now.
    09-23-15 01:57 PM
    they went big with trying your approach of getting developers onboard before the launch of BB10
    Again, I disagree. My point was that this approach cannot work while people believe the company will go under, and at that point it was seen to be going under.

You are arguing your point based on an assumption that people's perception was that the company was doing fine. That was not the case.
    09-23-15 04:33 PM
    Again, I disagree. My point was that this approach cannot work while people believe the company will go under, and at that point it was seen to be going under.

You are arguing your point based on an assumption that people's perception was that the company was doing fine. That was not the case.
    So what happened with BBOS? What happened with PlayBook OS? The big developers never came and never will unless a miracle happens.
    09-23-15 04:39 PM
    So what happened with BBOS? What happened with PlayBook OS? The big developers never came and never will unless a miracle happens.
    Playbook OS? Seriously? The OS that lived for two minutes?
    09-23-15 04:41 PM
    Playbook OS? Seriously? The OS that lived for two minutes?
    It was what was to be BB10. So yes.
    09-23-15 04:52 PM
    It was what was to be BB10. So yes.
    My argument is that developers will not invest time in developing for a platform they believe is dead, and you are wondering why they didn't develop for the Playbook OS?

In case you are serious, it is because (just like BB10), they already thought BlackBerry was going the way of the Dodo.

(BBOS had apps, but when Apple and Google were seen to leave them in the dirt the developers abandoned it.)

Again, it goes back to believing in the future of the platform.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-23-15 05:01 PM
    My argument is that developers will not invest time in developing for a platform they believe is dead, and you are wondering why they didn't develop for the Playbook OS?

In case you are serious, it is because (just like BB10), they already thought BlackBerry was going the way of the Dodo.

(BBOS had apps, but when Apple and Google were seen to leave them in the dirt the developers abandoned it.)

Again, it goes back to believing in the future of the platform.
    So what makes them believe in the future now when BlackBerry is making an android phone?
    09-23-15 05:09 PM
    So what makes them believe in the future now when BlackBerry is making an android phone?
    They don't need to believe in BlackBerry now, that is why they are making one. The developers have already made apps for android.

BlackBerry can now use marketing, partnerships etc to gain relevance without needing app developers.

And, when they have gained relevance, a people do not think the company will go bankrupt, THAT is the time they can reintroduce BB10 and convince/bribe developers to make native apps. Like I said in my first post
    dusanvn likes this.
    09-24-15 01:35 AM
    They don't need to believe in BlackBerry now, that is why they are making one. The developers have already made apps for android.

BlackBerry can now use marketing, partnerships etc to gain relevance without needing app developers.

And, when they have gained relevance, a people do not think the company will go bankrupt, THAT is the time they can reintroduce BB10 and convince/bribe developers to make native apps. Like I said in my first post
    OK, but I still think you are dreaming. If more people buy the android version the issue will still be chicken and the egg. Not enough users to bother.
    09-24-15 08:54 AM
    OK, but I still think you are dreaming. If more people buy the android version the issue will still be chicken and the egg. Not enough users to bother.
    As well as validating devs' original assertions that the BB10 platform was never going to be big enough - thus not worth the development investment.

And really, if you're a dev, why would you spend the resources on a third architecture when BlackBerry has an Android/Play Store alternative?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-24-15 01:36 PM
    As well as validating devs' original assertions that the BB10 platform was never going to be big enough - thus not worth the development investment.

And really, if you're a dev, why would you spend the resources on a third architecture when BlackBerry has an Android/Play Store alternative?
    That BB10 Andy runtime is not being updated. It is still based on the Jellybean Version of Andy. If the Andy apps keep being updated, soon the API on those apps will no longer be compatible with the Jellybean runtime. So that BB10 Andy runtime is on borrowed time.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-24-15 02:19 PM
45 12