What do you think, Blackberry is releasing a tactical device in the war of smartphones, or including Android in Blackberry is a New strategy for surviving this war between companies (samsung, apple, etc)..

Just a thought...

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-21-15 09:06 PM
    ...?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 09:08 PM
    This Venice is just a tool to showcase to the business world their BlackBerry Suites of Apps. BlackBerry is becoming just a software company albeit a secure one. Not necessarily a bad thing though. If they can really secure Android, that will attract a lot secure conscious users. Could be flat out war between BB vs. Blackphone.
    09-21-15 11:32 PM
    Or positioning the company as a more attractive acquisition target. There is additional value to be had when a company is now operating in exactly the same space, in direct competition with the acquirer, even if that competition is only incremental. But nobody seems to be considering that.

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard likes this.
    09-21-15 11:42 PM
    What do you think, Blackberry is releasing a tactical device in the war of smartphones, or including Android in Blackberry is a New strategy for surviving this war between companies (samsung, apple, etc)..

Just a thought...

Posted via CB10
    Strategical. There're too many new features in the Venice to be just tactical changes. New OS, new form factor, new combination of the (well-known) screen form factor with the (well-known) keyboard layout.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-21-15 11:52 PM
    They probably just want to finally sell something other than their buildings.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 12:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Ouch LMAO

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 12:11 AM

Posted via CB10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-22-15 12:23 AM
    I think it is tactical.

This is the premise, watch this video from 3:24: CEO: BlackBerry Focusing on Security Over Smartphones | Fox Business

At 4:15 John Chen says that "the problem we have is that professionals are also consumers [...] if all I do is the professional, that is when the problem starts".

Think about it. Pretty much everyone with a BlackBerry carry two devices, one for personal and the BlackBerry for work (again, see the video). Many love the BlackBerry for work, but need leisure apps. They play Candycrush saga in bed before going to sleep, or use snapchat to keep in touch with their kids.

The video proves to me that John Chen has realised this. First he tried to fix this app gap by adding an android runtime and adding the Amazon App Store. The plan sounded good, but didn't work. Now I believe he will start selling secured android + BES12 to everyone who do not need ultra-secure certified devices, which is the vast majority of companies out there. These companies are pretty much all BYOD or COPE now, and android is something consumers (and companies) are used to. The selling points here are 1) the most productive, no frills, android on the market, and 2) a more secure android (no one questions BlackBerry's security, only their viability).

At the same time, they will keep selling BB10 to those needing ultra-secure certified COBO devices, like regulated industries. BlackBerry must keep maintaining QNX for their IoT strategy, so it is not like they can fire everyone who knows BB10 to save money. Also, it is a branding issue. There is a lot of value for BlackBerry in being able to keep numerous governments and heads of state on their devices.

BB10 will probably not have the android runtime, but these COBO devices will not run leisure apps anyway. Over time though, once the general public do not believe that BlackBerry will go out of business, developers can be convinced/bribed to develop native apps, and BB10 can become viable for consumers again.

Owning your own OS and app store is just too advantageous in the long run. BlackBerry have already invested to get BB10 mature. That plus the fact that they still need employees competent on QNX means they will keep it as an alternative OS, slowly making it viable for everyone.
    Last edited by ayngling; 09-22-15 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Typo: misspelled "John Chen"...
    09-22-15 03:33 AM
    I think it is tactical.

Owning your own OS and app store is just too advantageous in the long run. BlackBerry have already invested to get BB10 mature. That plus the fact that they still need employees competent on QNX means they will keep it as an alternative OS, slowly making it viable for everyone.
    I hope you're right (and I'm wrong).

Allanon89 and ayngling like this.
    09-22-15 04:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hehe that made my day. Good thinking!!

09-22-15 05:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    LOL! That's brutal.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 07:16 AM
    I think it is tactical.

This is the premise, watch this video from 3:24: CEO: BlackBerry Focusing on Security Over Smartphones | Fox Business

At 4:15 John Chen says that "the problem we have is that professionals are also consumers [...] if all I do is the professional, that is when the problem starts".

Think about it. Pretty much everyone with a BlackBerry carry two devices, one for personal and the BlackBerry for work (again, see the video). Many love the BlackBerry for work, but need leisure apps. They play Candycrush saga in bed before going to sleep, or use snapchat to keep in touch with their kids.

The video proves to me that John Chen has realised this. First he tried to fix this app gap by adding an android runtime and adding the Amazon App Store. The plan sounded good, but didn't work. Now I believe he will start selling secured android + BES12 to everyone who do not need ultra-secure certified devices, which is the vast majority of companies out there. These companies are pretty much all BYOD or COPE now, and android is something consumers (and companies) are used to. The selling points here are 1) the most productive, no frills, android on the market, and 2) a more secure android (no one questions BlackBerry's security, only their viability).

At the same time, they will keep selling BB10 to those needing ultra-secure certified COBO devices, like regulated industries. BlackBerry must keep maintaining QNX for their IoT strategy, so it is not like they can fire everyone who knows BB10 to save money. Also, it is a branding issue. There is a lot of value for BlackBerry in being able to keep numerous governments and heads of state on their devices.

BB10 will probably not have the android runtime, but these COBO devices will not run leisure apps anyway. Over time though, once the general public do not believe that BlackBerry will go out of business, developers can be convinced/bribed to develop native apps, and BB10 can become viable for consumers again.

Do ultra-secured BB10 devices need the Android runtime? If the answer is no and the runtime is removed, then BB10 as a consumer device is finished. For many, even here on CB, not having the option of Android apps would make the device so much less useful.

Also, I agree with you that having your own OS and app-store is advantageous, but IF and ONLY IF you can actually sell enough devices with that OS to get a profit out of it. The problem is that both app revenue and OS revenue are tied 100% into the hardware business. And since BB10 sold so few devices, it seems clear so far that this "advantage" is rather small.
    09-22-15 07:23 AM
    Do ultra-secured BB10 devices need the Android runtime? If the answer is no and the runtime is removed, then BB10 as a consumer device is finished. For many, even here on CB, not having the option of Android apps would make the device so much less useful.
    I tried to address that in my post. All devices that need (not want, but need) ultra-secure certified devices will be COBO. Obama cannot install leisure apps on his phone (there was a post by the guy who secured his device, but I don't have the link saved). So, BlackBerry can still use BB10 without the runtime for this purpose.

Only people here on this forum who are using BB10 as a consumer OS, running half-and-half BB10/Android, will suffer. We are such a small group and could make due with a less secure OS. I know we love the peek gesture etc, but this way BlackBerry gets to survive.

Also, I agree with you that having your own OS and app-store is advantageous, but IF and ONLY IF you can actually sell enough devices with that OS to get a profit out of it. The problem is that both app revenue and OS revenue are tied 100% into the hardware business. And since BB10 sold so few devices, it seems clear so far that this "advantage" is rather small.
    As I tried to say in my post, BB10 as a consumer OS will only be viable when developers start making native apps for it. My point was that BlackBerry will want this to happen, so they can actually start selling BB10 devices successfully. I feel you are arguing against points I did not make.

I believe, and tried to make clear in my post, that BlackBerry has a lot to gain (and little to loose) in maintaining QNX and BB10, and will later on when the company is seen to be doing well, slowly re-introduce BB10 as a consumer OS, with more leisure apps.
    09-22-15 07:54 AM
    The video proves to me that John Chen has realised this. First he tried to fix this app gap by adding an android runtime and adding the Amazon App Store. The plan sounded good, but didn't work.
    Pretty sure BB10's Android runtime pre-dates Chen's tenure at BlackBerry.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-22-15 08:07 AM
    Pretty sure BB10's Android runtime pre-dates Chen's tenure at BlackBerry.
    That might be true, in which case even his predecessors realised it, and this was their solution. I wish it had worked.
    09-22-15 08:09 AM

Just a thought...

Posted via CB10
    Personally......surviving - 1st. Whatever happens beyond that is cherries and whipped cream. As far as the war of smartphones, need to move units to get in the game- which could happen with this device. Expect some of the same blogs that downplayed BB10 to change with this one.
    09-22-15 08:28 AM
    I tried to address that in my post. All devices that need (not want, but need) ultra-secure certified devices will be COBO. Obama cannot install leisure apps on his phone (there was a post by the guy who secured his device, but I don't have the link saved). So, BlackBerry can still use BB10 without the runtime for this purpose.

Only people here on this forum who are using BB10 as a consumer OS, running half-and-half BB10/Android, will suffer. We are such a small group and could make due with a less secure OS. I know we love the peek gesture etc, but this way BlackBerry gets to survive.

As I tried to say in my post, BB10 as a consumer OS will only be viable when developers start making native apps for it. My point was that BlackBerry will want this to happen, so they can actually start selling BB10 devices successfully. I feel you are arguing against points I did not make.

I believe, and tried to make clear in my post, that BlackBerry has a lot to gain (and little to loose) in maintaining QNX and BB10, and will later on when the company is seen to be doing well, slowly re-introduce BB10 as a consumer OS, with more leisure apps.
    The one issue I see with native apps is if they are only selling to those that need the utmost security there will never be enough sales, there aren't with consumers also buying them, for developers to ever be interested. They aren't now so why would they with even less sales?
    dusanvn and Blacklatino like this.
    09-22-15 08:35 AM
    The one issue I see with native apps is if they are only selling to those that need the utmost security there will never be enough sales, there aren't with consumers also buying them, for developers to ever be interested. They aren't now so why would they with even less sales?
    Good question. I think they will sell the BB10 phones on their website, not just to governments etc. A lot of people on this site used BB10 even before the android runtime came out, and will so again. A small following, but still.

The biggest reason why developers don't even consider developing for BB10 is that they believe they are going out of business. Once this perception is changed, some developers could be convinced (or even bribed using money earned on android + BES12) to develop for this "regulated industries" + fans platform. Eventually it can grow (if BlackBerry wants to cross-subsidise, which I believe they will, because of the advantages of owning an OS + app store).
    09-22-15 09:07 AM
    I think MS has much much more $$ to throw around at developers and so far I don't know that it's working for them.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-22-15 09:31 AM
    I think MS has much much more $$ to throw around at developers and so far I don't know that it's working for them.
    MS devices are so uninspiring. They bought Nokia for twice the current value of BlackBerry and failed to release anything that could be worth half of the Passport.

09-22-15 09:39 AM
    They do have most of the major apps on there, apps BlackBerry World never had. I would not be surprised if they paid for those. MS will probably get a comeback with Windows 10 + universal apps though, which was their plan all along I figure.

Soon developers who do apps on Windows 10 (desktop) will just have a different UI for phones (and the same for tablets), and it works on windows phones for free (and if you plug the phone into a "Continuum" box with a screen, keyboard and mouse it looks like a desktop app). Smart strategy, one you could only do if you own a popular desktop OS.
    JGoodard, dusanvn, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    09-22-15 10:29 AM
    MS devices are so uninspiring. They bought Nokia for twice the current value of BlackBerry and failed to release anything that could be worth half of the Passport.

Nokia devices running Windows was solid. Hell even HTC and Samsung released some windows phones.. It's just, nobody likes windows mobile.

09-22-15 10:30 AM
    It's just, nobody likes windows mobile.
    That's true, at least for all pre-10 Windows. But not just that. MS hardware lacks characteristics. No physical keyboards. No productive screen form factor. No AMOLED. No Touch Force. Nothing. Sometimes it looks like MS builds devices just to have somewhere to run their [macro-]softwarez. Not surprising at all when they wrote Nokia off their balance sheet.

09-22-15 12:02 PM
    Nokia devices running Windows was solid. Hell even HTC and Samsung released some windows phones.. It's just, nobody likes windows mobile.

And Dell! Don't forget my beloved Venue Pro!

Posted via CB10
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-22-15 01:50 PM
45 12