09-30-15 05:37 AM
29 12
tools
    In an interview (I think at the Churchill Club) John Chen spoke about how having POSIX compatibility in QNX made it easier to use the Android Runtime with BB10.

Would Blackberry use the QNX kernel to support ART? Section 9.7 Kernel Security Features in the Android Compatibilty Definition Document (https://static.googleusercontent.com...dd.pdf#page=54) discusses the use of other operating system kernels.

Perhaps, if the phone is successful, BBRY would make the ART used on BB10 the same as on their Android devices. This may mean having some or all of BB10 (i.e. QNX + Cascades) working underneath ART to have the same ART work in both environments.

Section 9.4 of the Compatibility Definition specifies the requirements for Alternative Execution Environments, but the environment has to be an Android application. If BBRY does do the above and actually uses BB10 to run the Android UI as an app on boot an enterprising hacker may be able to write an Android app that switches the UI to Flow.

How much of GNU stuff is used in Android? Will BBRY release the phone using QNX instead of GNU/Linux? Would be interesting to compare performance with stock Android if true.
    It should be noted that Compatibility requirements are loosely defined and change for each OEM depending on Google's needs. Whatever contract BlackBerry signed and agreed to is unique to BlackBerry.

Odd that they wouldn't use their own tech. Perhaps it was time to market issues and the cost of developing drivers as the CEO said.
    I think it largely has to do with time-to-market at this point. A year from now BlackBerry Android is likely to taste less vanilla and become more blackberry flavored.

I think there will be a QNX kernel next year and hardware protection. This is maybe why we don't see a Samsung tablet that is secured. The Slider is just a test and to get the first steps in to the Android Market. They continue with BBOS10 till they get a qnx based android which is also hardware protected,. then BBOS10 will be there for another year and alls gesture and swipe we will see back in that version of the new BlackBerry OS.
    Yes, most likely. BlackBerry still has a desire to hook users into using BlackBerry exclusively and to do that they would have to drastically differentiate themselves from Android while at the same time remaining as close to Android as possible, at least in the beginning, to capture the customer base. Once, say, BlackBerry reaches an ideal number of user base they can then begin the process of differentiation. So hopefully we would start to get a more true BlackBerry feeling by summer of 2016 and a full blown new BlackBerry Android OS by 2017. Then again, this all depends on whether or not BlackBerry is now a member of the OHA (I still say no, they are not) and/or what kind of deal they struck with Google to get the Play Store.

That said, get used to Linux, folks.

Posted via CB10
    Linux is the kernel; Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Android, etc. are the OS. iOS, for example, is based off of the OSX kernel, Darwin, which is unix-like. Linux is also a unix-like kernel. "Unix-like" means just that, it's like unix, and nothing more but the message here is that iOS and Android look completely different despite being very similar at the core. Point being; "Linux" could look like iOS, Android, or even BlackBerry.

As much as we like gestures and swiping, it's confusing for everyone else. If the slider has any success, I don't think bringing those elements to the phone will be a priority for BBRY.
    Once you get used to it then it feels natural. At this point I could not imagine not swiping and besides, Jolla is doing it; iOS is going to do it soon; and likely Android to follow. Not implementing full "BB10" gesture and swipe into the Priv would be a stupid move on BlackBerry's part. Then again, it is BlackBerry we are talking about here.

GNU/Linux isn't used because it is good software engineering it's used because it is free and has therefore become a standard. No need to get used to something that is a poor copy of fifty year old technology. Imagine if all the smart minds that have worked on GNU/Linux had instead rethought the OS to create an OS for the 21st Century. It wouldn't likely be free, but privacy may have been built in rather than a privilege.
    No, not because it is free but because it is not proprietary. NASA uses Linux not to save money but so that they could modify it to their liking without breaking any EUAs or licensing agreements.

One of the hallmarks of Linux is that it is constantly bleeding edge. The drawback to this is that many are drawn to the feature sets but not necessarily usability. Most who work with Linux know that updating to a new version can break the OS because the bleeding edge is not yet supported and may not be for a long time until everyone else catches up (and when they do, it's already generally too late as new features would be released by then. And so on). It can be a royal pain the behind (and most often is). The other drawback is the UI/GUI. For what-ever reason very few in the Linux/open source community cares that Linux actually looks appealing. For the most part, apps, icons, UI, look straight out of the 1990s.

Linux powers like 90% of our world. So those smartest minds....
    09-28-15 02:54 PM
    No, not because it is free but because it is not proprietary. NASA uses Linux not to save money but so that they could modify it to their liking without breaking any EUAs or licensing agreements.

One of the hallmarks of Linux is that it is constantly bleeding edge.

Linux powers like 90% of our world. So those smartest minds....
    Unix started out by providing source.

I don't believe that source alone would have made it become a standard. The freedom to use it was primarily derived from it being free. The GPL restricts commercial, competitative use of the source. And with GPL v3 only more so. The result of using GPL'd source is essentially my IP becomes everyone's IP (if I added to it and chose to allow third parties to use it for free or fee).

It is convenient to chose a governmental organization that is supported by the US citizenry and is required to share it's IP.

So in what ways is GNU/Linux bleeding edge not just in features, but in terms of design and architecture?
    09-28-15 06:32 PM

Once you get used to it then it feels natural. At this point I could not imagine not swiping and besides, Jolla is doing it; iOS is going to do it soon; and likely Android to follow. Not implementing full "BB10" gesture and swipe into the Priv would be a stupid move on BlackBerry's part. Then again, it is BlackBerry we are talking about here.
    Oh, I love the gestures. But take your phone on the main app page and hand it to an iPhone user and
    ask them to play with it. They can open 1 app then get incredibly confused. Same thing with Android users. I hope they bring some elements of the BB10 over too, but you have to remember that BB10 is not a successful operating system.
    09-29-15 02:58 PM
    I see this as a missed opportunity. If they spent the effort to use their own tech, it would be patent protected. Using Grsecurity can be done by Samsung and HTC too.
    Added to a very long list.

I think we will see the CEO within two years looking to sell QNX. It seems to not fit in with the platform agnostic software services route that the CEO is working toward. I just hope a buyer is found that will have a vision beyond infotainment systems in cars. The IoT thing does not seem to be fleshed out beyond being bait for a buyer and the CEO looks to be more interested in managing the IoT rather than providing the underlying software stack.

Maybe they will rename QNX to RIM before the sale.
    09-30-15 05:37 AM
29 12