OK hear me out. I know there was a huge backlash here over the Priv when first announced. There are still MANY that despise the device and the fact that blackberry went to android. Here is why they should be applauded.

1. They could have just folded and said developers aren't supporting our OS... screw it we are done with phones. They didn't they looked at a way they could still "try" and be relevant and how they can take what they do well pkb and security and merge them with android.

2. Despite not hitting sales goals they didn't drop the phone. Maybe they had invested too much money in it but the Priv has improved. The have consistently updated the phone, their apps, and the experience. How many android phones you know get sent out to die and never receive and update? There are many!

3. They are trying to expand by offering a "priv" experience on other phones. By this I mainly mean offering their app suites through android and letting people download them. Now they can try and grow their userbase through what started as the move to priv and android.

Am I crazy I know many will come in here and say so. What are you guys thoughts?

I welcome my stalker
    FF22, Sigewif, mithrazor and 10 others like this.
    09-24-16 09:30 AM
    I always wanted them to try Android. So I am glad they have. Though I wish they could find a design that sells better.

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-24-16 09:32 AM
    Right decision. Excellent phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-16 09:37 AM
    As a BlackBerry owner/user for 12 years I am very pleased with the PRIV running Android. Despite the somewhat awkward, and at times frustrating experience making the transition to Android, I am very glad to see BlackBerry giving the PRIV the support by updating the BlackBerry Apps.

I've had my AT&T branded Priv since launch and with the support of BlackBerry and AT&T providing updates the PRIV has come a long way. In my opinion the PRIV is a fantastic device and provides me with everything I want from a smartphone. I am looking forward to the PRIV only getting better with the continuing support from BlackBerry and AT&T.

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    FF22 likes this.
    09-24-16 09:42 AM
    Praise BB for the Priv, and for the many SW improvements, yes. But with the Priv, they could have done better:

the build issues that some/many suffer from. The wobbly back, the clicky/squeaky screen. Doesn't feel like a high quality product.
    the keyboard is not really good, compared to most other BB KB devices. It's mushy somehow, some keys react differently to being pressed than others. The Passport SE's KB e.g. is light years ahead imho.
    Last but not least, the high price point really makes it a niche product for enthusiasts.

I hope the Mercury will see the light of day in the near future, and addresses these issues. A rock solid but affordable KB device, with a not too bizarre form factor is what I hope for.
    09-24-16 10:44 AM
    You do realize the 28th of this month bb is getting out of the phone business.
    Sticking your head in the sand won't change the fact.
    09-24-16 11:20 AM
    I agree. They invested a lot into the Priv. From a premium device itself including camera, screen, etc and the constant software updates. Including security updates.

I really like the support on this device. On another Android device, you probably wouldn't see this level of support.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-24-16 11:47 AM
    Not a fan of the Priv... Where BlackBerry running Android is concerned, I want something a little more endowed in the PKB department... I will not go all touch and I absolutely hate the slider form factor... Supply a PKB-wielding BlackBerry droid in a one-piece and I am there... (Preferably the PKB is packing FOUR rows, not 3, but I'll compromise if that's the best I get...)

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 11:58 AM
    The Priv is a great phone. I agree with the OP. When it came out, I knew it was the phone for me -- it had everything I was wanting. I have had mine (ShopBlackBerry phone) since November and the support & updates have made it better and better. It is definitely improved greatly since release. Just yesterday we got yet another enhancement for the camera, for example.

Posted with my PRIV via the CrackBerry App for Android
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    09-24-16 01:01 PM
    Not a fan of the Priv... Where BlackBerry running Android is concerned, I want something a little more endowed in the PKB department... I will not go all touch and I absolutely hate the slider form factor... Supply a PKB-wielding BlackBerry droid in a one-piece and I am there... (Preferably the PKB is packing FOUR rows, not 3, but I'll compromise if that's the best I get...)

Posted via CB10
    I admire your desire. I admire everyone's desire. But as we can tell in all of these NEXT PERFECT DEVICE threads, everyone wants something different meaning BB will sell another 20 of this and 40 of that. I guess I don't believe it will happen.

They can't satisfy anyone and satisfy everyone else.
    09-24-16 01:03 PM
    The PRIV is great, but as we have seen from the latest announcements, it is quite clear that there will likely not be a continuation. Good effort, but PRIV is as good as it will ever get. I really can't believe that no other manufacturers appreciate the PKB, but it is what it is. PRIV is embarrassingly slow at times and it will only get worse. So yes, a great phone, but we have to start thinking about moving on.
    09-28-16 03:42 AM
    The PRIV is great, but as we have seen from the latest announcements, it is quite clear that there will likely not be a continuation. Good effort, but PRIV is as good as it will ever get. I really can't believe that no other manufacturers appreciate the PKB, but it is what it is. PRIV is embarrassingly slow at times and it will only get worse. So yes, a great phone, but we have to start thinking about moving on.
    Slow at what times? I don't have any problems with performance.

Regarding the main topic here, I agree, it's a great phone, I waited for someone to launch such a device for several years.

My opinion is that the sliding form factor definitely makes the most sense "in this day and age" when we use our phones for everything from phone calls, written communication and web browsing to watching movies and VR content. For a pure communication device a non-sliding PKB phone would maybe be better, but mobile phones have been much more than that for many years and aside from difficulty in manufacturing and maybe longevity and similar things I see no downsides of Priv's form factor. You get your great large 16:9 screen but you also get your physical keyboard for writing emails and whatever. What's not to like about that?

I'm definitely hopeful that BlackBerry will make a high-end Priv 2 at some point in the next year or two.
    bibbula likes this.
    09-28-16 04:07 AM
    When I first tried the Priv (for about an hour twice on display in a store last December) I wasn't too impressed. After using a Moto X for several months this year and acclimating I find very little to dislike about the Priv once I accept it runs Android. BlackBerry has done a great job (overall) in bringing their own unique touches to the OS and keeping it updated. The build quality is much better than the display model was also. It's one of the only unique phones on the market currently and works very well.
    09-28-16 04:17 AM
    And yet it flopped...

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    09-28-16 04:45 AM
    Well I like others will not support outsourcing phones. I have like a year and a half to decide what my next move is. If I am not getting a PKB I'm not sure where to go. Whatever the best android is I guess and using the blackberry suite for their VKB. About all we have left.

I welcome my stalker
    09-28-16 07:49 AM
    As a BlackBerry owner/user for 12 years I am very pleased with the PRIV running Android. Despite the somewhat awkward, and at times frustrating experience making the transition to Android, I am very glad to see BlackBerry giving the PRIV the support by updating the BlackBerry Apps.

I've had my AT&T branded Priv since launch and with the support of BlackBerry and AT&T providing updates the PRIV has come a long way. In my opinion the PRIV is a fantastic device and provides me with everything I want from a smartphone. I am looking forward to the PRIV only getting better with the continuing support from BlackBerry and AT&T.

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    Here's is my opposite critique: why the he'll did BlackBerry wait so long integrating an/or any android runtime keeping your software developers in the lurch for as long as they did! This was and still is their key mistake!!!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    newcollector likes this.
    09-29-16 03:36 PM
    I like my priv. I got it because of the physical keyboard. I have neuropathy from chemo which often makes my fingertips numb (have told this story before). I seriously considered the galaxy note 7 but found the virtual kb too hard to use as my primary option. Considering the PRIV's price drop (glad I waited) and the exploding note 7, I'm happy with my choice despite the recent news.
    09-29-16 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeppers agreed!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    09-29-16 08:42 PM