Attachment 371993

Yup. As pretty much expected.
    Do you know if it will it use something like an e-fuse?
    09-22-15 09:46 PM
    The more you talk, the less you appear to know the enterprise market.

I'm also guessing, you've not had the pleasure of working with "rockstar" developers.

Posted via CB10
    And I am sure you are an expert. If there is a problem with grSecurity on a BlackBerry Android device, who is going to fix it? BlackBerry or grSecurity? Who is going to get the bad press? BlackBerry or grSecurity?
    09-22-15 10:10 PM
    Do you know if it will it use something like an e-fuse?
    Dunno, that would require some better eyes then what I have to dig into it for now.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-22-15 10:22 PM
    Dunno, that would require some better eyes then what I have to dig into it for now.
    Wild guess but let's go with no.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    TrevS1977 likes this.
    09-22-15 10:24 PM
    they hold the patents to the eleptic curve encrytption(ECC) which pretty much every security focused organisation uses..actually one other source of blackberry software revenues apart from QNX is Certicom which is a security company to the core and helped Blackberry reach new hieghts interms of security. Certicom acquition is a crown jewel even more so than QNX
    I agree. Actually this does not contradict with what I said, about the civil engineer who knows how to build secure houses or hire somebody to do the job for him. That 'somebody' in this case is QNX (the company) and, more or less, Certicom.

I'm aware of a team of Green Hills' INTEGRITY joined BlackBerry and I've heared about their coordination with Samsung relating KNOX. All indicate that they're interested in microkernel-based hypervisor technology. I never hear of them acquiring any Android security company in recent years, though. Of course, I could have missed it, or it can be the case and could have been kept confidential.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-22-15 11:35 PM
    Thanks!
    At least it doesn't sound like a yes. One can hope.
    09-23-15 05:49 AM
    Thanks!
    At least it doesn't sound like a yes. One can hope.
    Hope for what? That you can root without tripping an e-fuse? There will be NO root on this device. Just by my estimate of the people on CrackBerry, seems to me like most of them here want to and will try to root the slider. It's not going to happen. So you are all going to suffer with android the way BlackBerry put's it on the device. Not to mention all the carrier crapware that will not be removable.
    BlackBerry has said over and over that if they release android, it will be secured. Does that sound like they will make it rootable??
    09-23-15 10:19 AM
    Hope for what? That you can root without tripping an e-fuse? There will be NO root on this device. Just by my estimate of the people on CrackBerry, seems to me like most of them here want to and will try to root the slider. It's not going to happen. So you are all going to suffer with android the way BlackBerry put's it on the device. Not to mention all the carrier crapware that will not be removable.
    BlackBerry has said over and over that if they release android, it will be secured. Does that sound like they will make it rootable??
    Since they have no control over the security (they didn't design it), they are hoping that the 3rd party software and OS will be secure. They are staking their security reputation on someone else. Not to mention that any Android manufacture can make a phone with the exact same level of security since it is all 3rd party pieces.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-15 10:57 AM
    Since they have no control over the security (they didn't design it), they are hoping that the 3rd party software and OS will be secure. They are staking their security reputation on someone else. Not to mention that any Android manufacture can make a phone with the exact same level of security since it is all 3rd party pieces.
    I have been saying all along that this android device for BlackBerry is a disaster waiting to happen. Now they are staking the security of the device and their reputation as a security company on 3rd parties?
    I love BB10 and I want BlackBerry to succeed so they can keep on developing BB10, but this is just total stupidity on BlackBerry's part.
    09-23-15 11:08 AM
    I have been saying all along that this android device for BlackBerry is a disaster waiting to happen. Now they are staking the security of the device and their reputation as a security company on 3rd parties?
    I love BB10 and I want BlackBerry to succeed so they can keep on developing BB10, but this is just total stupidity on BlackBerry's part.
    Out of curiosity what should they do then. How can they succeed with bb10? Just curious?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-23-15 11:16 AM
    Out of curiosity what should they do then. How can they succeed with bb10? Just curious?

Posted via CB10
    They should have used QNX.

lift likes this.
    09-23-15 12:39 PM
    They should have used QNX.

I would be concerned that that would have made the devices more expensive, and would have made OS updates a lot more difficult and less timely. Most of the security threats to Android are at the higher levels where updates are important.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-15 12:44 PM
    And I am sure you are an expert. If there is a problem with grSecurity on a BlackBerry Android device, who is going to fix it? BlackBerry or grSecurity? Who is going to get the bad press? BlackBerry or grSecurity?
    BlackBerry. grSecurity would provide the source patches, and BlackBerry takes them and modify and patch into their code base. BlackBerry is also free to fix problems as they see fit. "Oh. This is how they fixed it. This is how we'll fix it". This is pretty much how linux distributions work...

Bad press is spin. It comes down to incompetence or cleverness of hack. Things like having encryption ciphers go insecure after 6 years is different than unchecked boundaries, gotofail, or failure to adhere to common practices (brute force prevention) that lead to unexpected hacks.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-23-15 01:13 PM
    I believe that BlackBerry devices (legacy OS as well as BlackBerry 10 OS) have been utilizing a lot of stuff available at https://www.certicom.com/about which was acquired in 2009. I hope that Android OS installed in BlackBerry PRIV will also benefit from the same stuff.

BlackBerry: Make Certicom Patents Licensing More Affordable - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    09-29-15 11:34 PM
    Absolutely nothing, since there is zero indication of QNX in this setup. Vanilla Android plus kernel security patches.
    Warning : This is random engine search and I have no real idea of what it means.
    But I did find a "relationship" between Grsec and QNX.
    My very vague impression is that GrSec allows QNX to run as a "Host OS".

I won't go further as any printed word would probably be meaningless for thech aware people like you, so here's what I "found", delivered to your expertise and comments

From : https://www.grsecurity.net/~spender/...rseconly.patch
    What I noticed :
    1/ the date ...
    diff -urNp -U4 linux-2.6.24.7/arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c linux-2.6.24.7-new/arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c
    --- linux-2.6.24.7/arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c 2008-05-01 17:50:00.000000000 -0400
    +++ linux-2.6.24.7-new/arch/alpha/kernel/ptrace.c 2008-05-06 17:49:03.000000000 -0400
    2/ QNX mention
    Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-capture3.png

From : https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewto...t=2710&p=11027
    What I noticed :
    Confirms this was Intel related (automotive ?)
    Mention of QNX as a Guest OS.

kvm_intel code is pretty much the same in all 2.6.38+ releases as far as cr0.wp is concerned: it is forced to 1 unless the host is EPT capable, in which case the guest is allowed to change it at its leisure regardless of other CR0 bits (IIRC this was implemented to allow QNX to run as a guest OS, since it fiddles with cr0.wp during boot pretty much in the same way as KERNEXEC does).
    Again, this is pretty much a "message in the bottle"; yet could you help us to understand what it means (even if totally known and pretty useless lol), please ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-30-15 at 06:13 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-15 04:32 AM
    Considering how tweakable Android is, I believe that this device will be rootable.
    noob says : if they implemented the HW coded "BlackBerry signed system files only" restriction as in BB10 (and formerOSes), I can't see this happening. But I'm here to learn more about it.
    09-30-15 04:43 AM
    its talking about running QNX under KVM(Kernel based Virtual Machine) which is the Linux kernel version of Hypervisor.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 04:57 AM
    noob says : if they implemented the HW coded "BlackBerry signed system files only" restriction as in BB10 (and formerOSes), I can't see this happening. But I'm here to learn more about it.
    Pretty much. The only downside is,of course, that BlackBerry will have to work on any new Android release in order to give us (the users) a 'secured/BlackBerrized' Android experience. Some users always look for the latest OS available and they won't like the fact that they'll have to wait for BB to release the newest modifed OS.

Posted via CB10
    idhbar and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-30-15 05:43 AM
    So that users won't be able to upgrade/root with downloaded distributions (unless legit/signed) but only get OTA (hopefully non carrier ...) updates i.e : similar to BB10 current process ?
    09-30-15 06:15 AM
    Probably.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 07:52 AM
    well its not plain vanilla android as many smartypants expected. eat it or better yet suck it
    Android is the OS, Linux is the kernel.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 08:18 AM
    So that users won't be able to upgrade/root with downloaded distributions (unless legit/signed) but only get OTA (hopefully non carrier ...) updates i.e : similar to BB10 current process ?
    Man, how you phrased this post makes it hard to answer with a simple yes or no. I mean, you took a statement into a question... Millennials, I tell ya

The beauty of Android is that someone would likely quickly update the updates for those who are root. For those who are not root it would be strictly OTA unless BlackBerry stays in the habit of leaking legit/signed files.

Pretty much. The only downside is,of course, that BlackBerry will have to work on any new Android release in order to give us (the users) a 'secured/BlackBerrized' Android experience. Some users always look for the latest OS available and they won't like the fact that they'll have to wait for BB to release the newest modifed OS.

Posted via CB10
    Updates to a particular Android handset usually need to go through the OEM to tweak for their particular brand/phone anyways and in some cases then through the carrier. For example, Samsung would need to tweak Touch Whiz for an Android M update and some phones may have incompatible hardware to run Android M. This is a reason why some root. I believe Android M will attempt to address this problem, however.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-15 09:23 AM
147 ... 456