BlackBerry doesn't really have a choice. They can only harden it so much. It's not a matter of ALLOWING.
    I think the main point is that BB is not going to intentionally allow rooting and will react quickly to plug any holes. Being that security is what BB is really focused on, their reputation is at stake and it'd be a PR disaster if a root exploit was found. It's early days and they are retrofitting Android which wasn't designed for security from the ground up, so it won't be easy.
    lift likes this.
    09-18-15 11:33 PM
    It would only be a pr disaster if they stop development of bb10 and only their version of android had the vulnerability. Seeing as how they are using mostly stock android I'm not sure how likely that is to really happen.

As long as bb10 exists they can always point to that as the full security solution.
    09-18-15 11:39 PM
    I think the main point is that BB is not going to intentionally allow rooting and will react quickly to plug any holes. Being that security is what BB is really focused on, their reputation is at stake and it'd be a PR disaster if a root exploit was found. It's early days and they are retrofitting Android which wasn't designed for security from the ground up, so it won't be easy.
    I cant see it been as secure as bb10 is and that may keep big companies away from it ..........I could be wrong tho
    lift likes this.
    09-19-15 12:54 AM
    Can someone explain in lay terms what this means?

I thought BlackBerry had found a way to use qnx as the kernel, what's this grsec about?

Posted via CB10
    I'm hoping this question gets answered also. What is the connection between QNX and grsec, if any?

Passport on AT&T
    09-19-15 01:24 AM
    I'm hoping this question gets answered also. What is the connection between QNX and grsec, if any?

Passport on AT&T
    Nothing.

Posted via CB10
    RigoMonster likes this.
    09-19-15 03:15 AM

Passport on AT&T
    Absolutely nothing, since there is zero indication of QNX in this setup. Vanilla Android plus kernel security patches.

And if anyone still thinks BlackBerry pulled a unicorn out of its *** and did something with a hypervisor or whatever...

Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-bach-deal-.jpg
    09-19-15 03:45 AM
    Absolutely nothing, since there is zero indication of QNX in this setup. Vanilla Android plus kernel security patches.

And if anyone still thinks BlackBerry pulled a unicorn out of its *** and did something with a hypervisor or whatever...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bach-deal-with-it.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	372053
    so really in all respects this is an android phone with blackberry name on it and some bits added to the os just like Samsung have done with there android touchwiz?
    09-19-15 04:11 AM
    so really in all respects this is an android phone with blackberry name on it and some bits added to the os just like Samsung have done with there android touchwiz?
    Yes, but that may be good enough.

1) I trust BlackBerry's word a lot more than Samsung if both claim to have secured android. BlackBerry has the right mentality, internal processes, the right hires, etc to do this right, even if Samsung has more money. This is BlackBerry's single core competency, and their whole reputation is based around it. Samsung is bound to take securing android lighter than BlackBerry.

2) Samsung's audience is a broad one, when they build a new phone they make trade offs with everything from features to marketing. BlackBerry will focus on a single target audience with two selling points: productiveness and security (and security will only briefly be mentioned, they are known for it, it is a given that it has it). BlackBerry will promise that this is the most productive, no-frills, Android out there, to business minded people.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 04:34 AM
    A presentation dated four years ago is found at Toward the Integration of Grsecurity in Embedded
    Android Operating System

Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-14.jpg
    Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-15.jpg
    Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-16.jpg
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-19-15 at 05:01 AM.
    Fatboy40 likes this.
    09-19-15 04:42 AM
    P.S.

Grsecurity / PaX-patched kernels are found only for Intel chips at the Arch Linux.

----------

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=linux-grsec

Code:
    Arch   Repo      Name        Version              Description                                              Last Updated   Flag Date

x86_64 Community linux-grsec 4.1.7.201509131604-1 The Linux kernel and modules with grsecurity/PaX patches 2015-09-14  
    i686   Community linux-grsec 4.1.7.201509131604-1 The Linux kernel and modules with grsecurity/PaX patches 2015-09-14
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-19-15 at 07:03 AM.
    09-19-15 05:18 AM
    They already use SELinux.
    Security Enhancements (SE) for Android

What is SE for Android?

Security Enhancements for Android™ (SE for Android) is a project to identify and address critical gaps in the security of Android. Initially, the project is enabling the use of SELinux in Android in order to limit the damage that can be done by flawed or malicious apps and in order to enforce separation guarantees between apps. However, the scope of the project is not limited to SELinux.

SE for Android also refers to the reference implementation produced by the project. The current reference implementation provides a worked example of how to enable and apply SELinux at the lower layers of the Android software stack and provides a working demonstration of the value provided by SELinux in confining various root exploits and application vulnerabilities.

Android™ is a trademark of Google, Inc.
    Last edited by yhamaie; 09-19-15 at 06:18 AM.
    09-19-15 05:39 AM
    A presentation dated four years ago is found at Toward the Integration of Grsecurity in Embedded
    Android Operating System
    Very interesting post considering this is from Thales (can't say more than that). Android on BlackBerry devices in secure environments will live or die based upon decisions made by businesses like Thales etc.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 05:46 AM
    Very interesting post considering this is from Thales (can't say more than that).
    . . . knowing that about 2 / 3 of shares of Thales Group (formerly known as Thomson-CSF) are owned by French State and Dassault Aviation.

Android on BlackBerry devices in secure environments will live or die based upon decisions made by businesses like Thales etc.
    I hope that large businesses will embrace such devices.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 06:11 AM
    I wonder if they are still collectively dubbed BlackBerry Safeguard . . .

BB10 Training

Blackberry Safeguard and GrSecurity confirmed on the Slider-safeguard.png
    09-19-15 06:57 AM
    Android lovers keep dreaming. There will be no way to root this or do extensive customization. You all keep dreaming that you will root and do all the stuff you usually do. HaHa.
    You all wanted BlackBerry running android. Well you are going to get BlackBerry secured android. Other than having access to all the apps you want, not much else will be possible.
    09-19-15 07:54 AM
    You all wanted BlackBerry running android. Well you are going to get BlackBerry secured android. Other than having access to all the apps you want, not much else will be possible.
    I wish. Really, I do. This is the one thing that can go wrong with the move to android, that it is not secured well enough (it is a monumental task), and the one thing that can hurt the BlackBerry brand. (It is already seen as a dinosaur, soon to be going out of business, but nobody questions their security, only their viability.)

Fingers crossed that you are right!
    RigoMonster and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 08:19 AM
    (It is already seen as a dinosaur, soon to be going out of business, but nobody questions their security, only their viability.)
    We hear that U.S. armed forces have abandoned legacy BlackBerry OS devices and deployed Android OS devices without questioning too much about security.

Inside the Military's Secretive Smartphone Program
    09-19-15 08:43 AM
    I understand that U.S. armed forces have abandoned legacy BlackBerry OS devices and deployed Android OS devices without questioing too much about security.

Inside the Military's Secretive Smartphone Program
    Unless you are saying that is because Android has better security than BBOS has I don't see us disagreeing, I only see that BlackBerry's security is seen as overkill for many uses. Right?

Android security is apparently seen as good enough for some arms of the government, but I bet they would be even happier if there was an even more secure android alternative. If nothing else it would mean apps built for parts of the organization that require less security will work on devices higher up the chain as well.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 08:54 AM
    QNX was pure fantasy, there was never any evidence of it existing for Android. Grsec has an addon package to the Linux kernel for security and access control. There are several other companies in the space such as AppArmor and an open source project which was started by the NSA called SELinux. Google has gradually been pulling in code from the SELinux project into its kernels and it continues with Marshmallow. Think of Grsec for Linux kernel like Redhat for Linux distros. Basically BB is using their expertise and code to make Android more secure for the Venice.
    QNX isn't pure fantasy, the scenario of an Android using the QNX kernel was.

We haven't discarded yet the light hypervisor scenario: QNX Hypervisor running Android as its only guest OS. This could bring to the table two things that are badly needed in Android phones: true work/personal containerization, and FAST SYSTEM UPDATES. The first one allows features like Balance. The second one is crucial to get more security.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    RigoMonster and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 09:09 AM
    Android lovers keep dreaming. There will be no way to root this or do extensive customization. You all keep dreaming that you will root and do all the stuff you usually do. HaHa.
    Um,, even Bla1ze said.............it might be possible with the right eyes working on it.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 09:12 AM
    Originally Posted by Z50 You all wanted BlackBerry running android. Well you are going to get BlackBerry secured android. Other than having access to all the apps you want, not much else will be possible.
    hang a mo not all of us wanted blackberry running droid I FOR ONE DIDNT I love bb10 and don't think there is anything wrong with it in fact I think it is the best os on any phone it has just got better and better with every new update ,yes I do like the look of the slider but I would be more than happy if they said they would be releasing a bb10 version and I think there would be lots of bb owners just as happy
    09-19-15 09:16 AM
    hang a mo not all of us wanted blackberry running droid I FOR ONE DIDNT I love bb10 and don't think there is anything wrong with it in fact I think it is the best os on any phone it has just got better and better with every new update ,yes I do like the look of the slider but I would be more than happy if they said they would be releasing a bb10 version and I think there would be lots of bb owners just as happy
    I feel misquoted You are only quoting the guy I quoted.
    09-19-15 09:57 AM
    QNX isn't pure fantasy, the scenario of an Android using the QNX kernel was.

We haven't discarded yet the light hypervisor scenario: QNX Hypervisor running Android as its only guest OS. This could bring to the table two things that are badly needed in Android phones: true work/personal containerization, and FAST SYSTEM UPDATES. The first one allows features like Balance. The second one is crucial to get more security.

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Would be really pleased if this where the case. I use Balance and would prefer not to give up the peace of mind of having my work and personal activities on my phone separated. This would also be consistent with Chen's comments earlier in the year about have a solution that would address users needing two phones (presumably security and apps coming together in one device, which I hope includes Balance). Chen has been speaking about innovation being the key to BlackBerry's comeback, so I hope that it's more than a stock Android with the BlackBerry Experience suite.

Passport on AT&T
    ayngling and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 09:58 AM
    Unless you are saying that is because Android has better security than BBOS has I don't see us disagreeing,
    I would never disagree . . . perhaps it was a little easier for defense contractors to develop fancy apps on Android OS smartphones and tablets than on legacy BlackBerry OS handsets.

I only see that BlackBerry's security is seen as overkill for many uses. Right?
    You are absolutely right.

The world was ruled by Windows and Mac OS a couple of decades ago. Alas, it is now ruled by Android OS and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and 00stryder like this.
    09-19-15 10:10 AM
    Would be really pleased if this where the case. I use Balance and would prefer not to give up the peace of mind of having my work and personal activities on my phone separated. This would also be consistent with Chen's comments earlier in the year about have a solution that would address users needing two phones (presumably security and apps coming together in one device, which I hope includes Balance). Chen has been speaking about innovation being the key to BlackBerry's comeback, so I hope that it's more than a stock Android with the BlackBerry Experience suite.

Passport on AT&T
    I think this will be addressed by Android for Work, which Google and BlackBerry have partnered on some time back. It separates work and personal apps and data, just like BlackBerry Balance (which I use, and is awesome, I agree). With BES12, corporate admins can whitelist apps from the Play store to make sure malware does not get into the work partition.

If you looked at the first leaked renders from evleaks you can see that some apps having a briefcase icon on them, these are from the work partition (I like the Balance way better, with a completely different view but this way works as well): http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/blackberry_...ak_evleaks.jpg
    RigoMonster likes this.
    09-19-15 10:13 AM
147 12345 ...