What's the significance of this - why don't all the other manufacturers just use grsecurity?

Posted via CB10

They choose their own solutions... grsecurity is just an option. Just like how Google uses SELinux. Heck, even some ROM builders add grsecurity to their Android versions so they can feature things like...

• Active Exploits Protection (deter exploit bruteforcing, active kernel exploit response)
    • Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
    • Filesystem Advanced Protection (including advanced security for applications running in CHROOT environment)
    • Full Kernel Auditing (event logging for many process-related kernel events)
    • Executable Protection (deter ptrace-based process snooping)
    • Network Protection (TCP/UDP blackhole and LAST_ACK DoS prevention)
    • Larger Entropy Pools support (adds additional randomness to grsecurity features)
    • Managing support via Sysctl Interface
    kbz1960 and dusanvn like this.
    09-18-15 06:11 PM
    Did google make it or deploy it in their products?

Posted via CB10
    They already use SELinux.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-18-15 06:12 PM
    Really I don't see any hypervisor or qnx kernel?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and 00stryder like this.
    09-18-15 06:14 PM
    well its not plain vanilla android as many smartypants expected. eat it or better yet suck it
    Not trying to be a smart *** here but it looks fairly vanilla android. About the only thing that looks heavily modded on the UI front is the addition of the Blackberrys page of adding icons for calendar, BBM meetings etc and two extra ring targets on the home button swipe up. It seems similar to the Moto X in that respect and that's classed as pretty much vanilla. What else are you seeing that we ain't?

It's clearly not like TouchWiz or Sense where it's modded to the point it doesn't even look like vanilla.
    09-18-15 06:16 PM
    Not trying to be a smart *** here but it looks fairly vanilla android. About the only thing that looks heavily modded on the UI front is the addition of the Blackberrys page of adding icons for calendar, BBM meetings etc and two extra ring targets on the home button swipe up. It seems similar to the Moto X in that respect and that's classed as pretty much vanilla. What else are you seeing that we ain't?It's clearly not like TouchWiz or Sense where it's modded to the point it doesn't even look like vanilla.
    The grsecurity kernel. That's not standard, at least in the resepect of it being 'common' on all Android devices.
    09-18-15 06:20 PM
    What's the significance of this - why don't all the other manufacturers just use grsecurity?

Posted via CB10
    Because lack of root isn't a positive in the Android community. Androids that are unrootable are aren't popular with power users

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 06:23 PM
    The grsecurity kernel. That's not standard, at least in the resepect of it being 'common' on all Android devices.
    That's a fair enough point. I doubt many people will look that closely though. That's only gonna both the tweakers among us, much as the SELinux implantation has done.

The UI though is pretty standard. Which when vanilla is referenced is usually what is meant.
    09-18-15 06:23 PM
    Because lack of root isn't a positive in the Android community. Androids that are unrootable are aren't popular with power users

Posted via CB10
    Right, and grsecurity doesn't ensure that in any way... it just makes it all a little bit harder to achieve. Get the right set of eyes looking at it and it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    09-18-15 06:25 PM
    When is someone going to peel that darned protective sheet off the screen?

It's an evaluation unit. Peel that sheet off and evaluate it.

Posted via CB10
    Can't do it ,it goes from one place to another every other day,lol
    09-18-15 06:29 PM
    Can someone explain in lay terms what this means?

I thought BlackBerry had found a way to use qnx as the kernel, what's this grsec about?

Posted via CB10
    QNX was pure fantasy, there was never any evidence of it existing for Android. Grsec has an addon package to the Linux kernel for security and access control. There are several other companies in the space such as AppArmor and an open source project which was started by the NSA called SELinux. Google has gradually been pulling in code from the SELinux project into its kernels and it continues with Marshmallow. Think of Grsec for Linux kernel like Redhat for Linux distros. Basically BB is using their expertise and code to make Android more secure for the Venice.
    09-18-15 06:34 PM
    Think of Grsec for Linux kernel like Redhat for Linux distros. Basically BB is using their expertise and code to make Android more secure for the Venice.
    And hardened Gentoo - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardene...ardened_Gentoo
    endevour likes this.
    09-18-15 06:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    What percentage of Android users are power users? How many root just to get rid of TouchWiz? Lol. If this is close enough to to Vanilla Android I doubt that will deter the majority of people in the market for an Android with a physical keyboard.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    09-18-15 06:38 PM
    What percentage of Android users are power users? How many root just to get rid of TouchWiz? Lol. If this is close enough to to Vanilla Android I doubt that will deter the majority of people in the market for an Android with a physical keyboard.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    It really doesn't matter to the bottom line of Android OEMs unless they make phones specifically for the power user/developer crowd like the Nexus. Note4 for Att/Verizon still doesn't have root for the end user despite a bounty in XDA over 30K and Samsung still sells millions of them. IMHO by the time Marshmallow is the largest Android version most models from OEMs will follow the Note4 route and people who contribute to XDA will just buy Nexus devices.
    09-18-15 06:42 PM
    Check out this page when you have time: HTTP Headers: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1.1; STV100-6 Build/LMY47V) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/43.0.2357.93 Mobile Safari/537.36 The STV100-6 has been out there and putzing about the 'web for a while, now.

This site claims to have all the 'specs laid out as well: RIM BlackBerry Venice STV100-1 Detailed Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net
    PDADB is terrible, they just take rumors and jam them into a specs page. Half that crap is wrong.. as for the HTTP headers.. well.. https://twitter.com/Bla1ze/status/644211105825431553 <- While I'm not so egotistical to say most people got it from me, I'd say a fair amount posted it after I shared it.. 2 days ago lol.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    09-18-15 06:44 PM
    I really do not see blackberry allowing this devices to be rooted or customroms
    lift likes this.
    09-18-15 06:44 PM
    I really do not see blackberry allowing this devices to be rooted
    BlackBerry doesn't really have a choice. They can only harden it so much. It's not a matter of ALLOWING.
    09-18-15 06:47 PM
    Right, its one thing to just look at Github and merge Grsec code into your device. BB running lean as it does now also wants support for whats its doing now and whats it wants to do in the future for Android and working directly with Grsec achieves that.
    09-18-15 06:56 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Influential media members on the net are power users and they will influence opinion . That being said I don't think it will affect sales one or the other.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 07:00 PM
    Considering how tweakable Android is, I believe that this device will be rootable.
    I'm certainly rooting for it.
    00stryder, zyad and jope28 like this.
    09-18-15 07:45 PM
    Right, its one thing to just look at Github and merge Grsec code into your device.
    Well, that'll be harder now: http://grsecurity.net/announce.php

Internet detectives point their fingers at Intel, so I guess we should thank them for making things harder for other kernel developers. /s

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:35 PM
    https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4216

"The porting work of the PaX patch already done. We tested it with Towel & KINGROOT. The result as expected: they all failed to root the Android 5.0.2 with kernel code base from 2014. Perhaps, we might try to make GRSEC & RBAC into the Android in the future���"

Wide vision, from Chile.
    Unbroken link: http://hardenedlinux.org/system-secu...us-7-2013.html

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:43 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Well using Android sure did deter this BB fan.
    lift likes this.
    09-18-15 09:39 PM
    Consumer didn't really care 'security' that's why so many android root and jail brake iphone

BlackBerry Venice will sell regardless it can be root or not, imo
    SteelGreek likes this.
    09-18-15 09:57 PM
    Consumer didn't really care 'security' that's why so many android root and jail brake iphone

BlackBerry Venice will sell regardless it can be root or not, imo
    Well... that's different, that's more about having control. Once you do that ,.. it's up to you to be safe or not.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 10:30 PM
    I'm certainly rooting for it.
    You forgot *rimshot*

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 10:57 PM
147 1234 ...