I have come to realise that it is truly a privilege to own the Priv. The obvious reason is price. Not many people willing to pay the price.

For the Privacy part, I'm not really sure what is being referred to. After much research and testing I asked myself the question, why have I been searching on ways to secure my device in terms of security, privacy, protection etc. etc., if I own one of the latest Smartphones called BlackBerry Privacy?

I'm sure one can write a book about this and maybe the majority of Priv and any smartphones for that matter, do not really know or care about this as long as Facebook, Whatsapp, YouTube etc. works, all is fine.

So I have to ask the question, what Privacy are being referred to when BlackBerry talks about our BlackBerry Priv?

Edit: A reminder to myself and everybody else that didn't know, when it comes to Google, Facebook, Whatsapp, ISP's, Internet etc. etc., Nothing is ever Private.
    Last edited by nazzzeem; 03-14-16 at 01:27 PM. Reason: More
    03-14-16 01:17 PM
    According to BlackBerry.... How PRIV Sets the Bar for Android Privacy | Inside BlackBerry

1. Deliver a comprehensive, state-of-the-art technical security approach through all layers of the smartphone stack.
    Locked the Boot ROM and add "patented" picture-login.
    2. Ensure users have a rich choice of private communication and collaboration applications.
    BBM - plus optional add-ons like WatchDox, BBM Meetings, SecuSuite
    3. Give users maximum visibility and control over their privacy-related posture and configuration.
    DTek
    4. Commit to user privacy beyond the hardware and software.
    We are BlackBerry.....

I think there will be more to come with Marshmallow... but for right now, the Privacy part of the PRIV isn't much more than Snake Oil.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-14-16 01:36 PM
    The privacy question is not easy to answer. Of course BlackBerry states the Priv has specially secured and coded internals, it also can't be rooted so nobody could modify the software to snoop on you.
    They of course also praise DTEK, their privacy and security observing app. You can check which app accesses your sensitive data like contacts, text messages or camera. Besides it does a simple security check, for example reminding you if you don't have any sort of device lock - so everybody could pick up your phone and take a look at your (private) data and contents.

Whether or not this is actually useful or not is of course questionable: Securing your phone with a device PIN or other measures should be common sense, the same goes for several other option DTEK checks for. When it comes to apps, DTEK of course shows you exploiting apps, but it can't do anything to prevent it. Since for now we are stuck with Android 5.1, we also only have two options regarding such apps: Delete them or live with their snooping, since permission management has just been introduced with Android 6.0

Of course all that BlackBerry stuff also can't prevent typical dumb user errors like simple passwords, installing tons of questionable apps and so on.

IMHO that "privacy" theme is more of a marketing thing than actual real world benefit.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-14-16 01:49 PM
    The privacy question is not easy to answer. Of course BlackBerry states the Priv has specially secured and coded internals, it also can't be rooted so nobody could modify the software to snoop on you.
    They of course also praise DTEK, their privacy and security observing app. You can check which app accesses your sensitive data like contacts, text messages or camera. Besides it does a simple security check, for example reminding you if you don't have any sort of device lock - so everybody could pick up your phone and take a look at your (private) data and contents.

Whether or not this is actually useful or not is of course questionable: Securing your phone with a device PIN or other measures should be common sense, the same goes for several other option DTEK checks for. When it comes to apps, DTEK of course shows you exploiting apps, but it can't do anything to prevent it. Since for now we are stuck with Android 5.1, we also only have two options regarding such apps: Delete them or live with their snooping, since permission management has just been introduced with Android 6.0

Of course all that BlackBerry stuff also can't prevent typical dumb user errors like simple passwords, installing tons of questionable apps and so on.

IMHO that "privacy" theme is more of a marketing thing than actual real world benefit.
    You can control most app permissions with an app called advanced Permissions. It requires you to reinstall the app. I put them on my SD card, but this caused a few problems so I added them back to internal storage.

Enjoying the Priv
    03-14-16 01:58 PM
    We can also add that's hardware encryption is enabled out of the box. While I know you can then it on for other devices, we all know that way too many people don't dig into their device settings.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-14-16 02:08 PM
    Are the phones encrypted if using Picture Password?

I just started this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12319373
    03-14-16 03:22 PM
    So there isn't much one can do at this stage?

It would have helped if all security settings were very tight by default. I assume it is up to the user to dig down into settings and on websites like Google to configure privacy, security etc. by themselves.

It is really annoying when apps such as Facebook suddenly announces a list of all my phone contacts and offer to see which of them is on Facebook. Upon further research one finds out that by Default the Facebook app will upload all your phone contacts to its servers. Yes, all 3000 of them. What needs to manually delete this list from Facebook servers via their website and not sure if this uploading is disabled from thereon.

And the list of privacy concerns does not really stop.
    03-15-16 01:45 AM

It would have helped if all security settings were very tight by default. I assume it is up to the user to dig down into settings and on websites like Google to configure privacy, security etc. by themselves.

It is really annoying when apps such as Facebook suddenly announces a list of all my phone contacts and offer to see which of them is on Facebook. Upon further research one finds out that by Default the Facebook app will upload all your phone contacts to its servers. Yes, all 3000 of them. What needs to manually delete this list from Facebook servers via their website and not sure if this uploading is disabled from thereon.

And the list of privacy concerns does not really stop.
    I do like that feature though. Facebook messenger is quite powerful free communication tool. It truly helps when you have family members across different continents
    03-15-16 02:08 AM
    And that's why I stay off of Facebook. I also look for apps that require the smallest number of permissions

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-15-16 02:10 AM
    I do like that feature though. Facebook messenger is quite powerful free communication tool. It truly helps when you have family members across different continents
    Yes it is a nice feature, but from a privacy point of view it's a big No. But once again this is what they do and what it is all about. Information gathering. As Edward Snowden mentioned, these people have haystacks of information gathered through various sources we use daily.

4 Days ago there was an article on The Hacker News titled "ISPs Sell Your Data to Advertisers, But FCC has a Plan to Protect Privacy".

On a daily basis I receive phone calls from people selling insurance, cellphone contracts etc. No need to wonder anymore where they got my number.
    03-15-16 02:19 AM

It is really annoying when apps such as Facebook suddenly announces a list of all my phone contacts and offer to see which of them is on Facebook. Upon further research one finds out that by Default the Facebook app will upload all your phone contacts to its servers. Yes, all 3000 of them.
    I am afraid not much can be done about this. It is a rather good scenario which shows the Priv has no real benefits, at least not for "Joe Average" in Terms of privacy. BlackBerry offers you DTEK, which tells you "Facebook had access to your contacts XXXX number of times.", now you can take action. Delete Facebook or just accept it gets access to your contacts and keep using it, however the damage is done anyways. With BB10 you could have denied permission for Facebook to access your contacts, the same thing is possible with Android 6.0

When it Comes to end-user privacy, BBRY wants you to use DTEK. It tells you which apps act against your privacy when they access contatcs, cameras,microphones or location. But thats it, it can't prevent this from happening.
    DTEK also quick-checks your device for possible privacy and security holes. For example you haven't set a screenlock: You are in a restaurant with friends, clients or co-workers and either go out for a cigerate or to the toilet and forget to take your phone with you. Everybody can now check and access your device, a huge privacy concern. Yet it is common sense prevent this and set a screenlock right from the beginning, DTEK just reminds you in case you forgot this.
    It also checks for Software and Hardware violations, which again I think is a pretty minor threat for Joe Average. I doubt anybody will modify the internals of your phone or try to install a (rooted) modified firmware.
    Next we have developer options as well as installations from unknown sources. These are disabled by Default on *every* single Android handsets, because they are, well, ment for developers. Nothing to see here.
    Followed by trustworthy app sources, which include Google Play Store by default. Again nothing special and I doubt anybody is going to set any shady options on purpose. Also DTEKs description of the Play Store is IMHO a joke: "You can feel save by downloading any apps or games from the Google Play Store." - a joke. As most of us know, it is apps from there which tends to snoop around and DTEK can't even prevent this from Happening.

I know I am simply repeating in more detail what I already wrote yesterday, but there really is nothing more to add. The whole privacy scheme is mostly marketing and, just like it is the case with every other Android handset, it is up to you to maintain your privacy. BlackBerry just provides a small tool to help you check certain things when it comes to privacy and security.

As you already stated in our todays times it is easy for companies to fetch your data. Phonenumbers, mail adresses and so on. Facebook could also get your number when one of your own 3000 contacts uploads the contact list. You carrier could sell or use your data and the sources using this data could again give it away. There is nothing much BlackBerry can do to prevent that. Even you can't do much to prevent that.
    So the verdict? Buying a Priv just because you expect it to protect your privacy is useless. There are quite some things which speak for the Priv as a device, but I am afraid I have to say extensive privacy protection surely ain't one of them
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-16 03:57 AM
    Cant you own a Priv just because you like it? Or.. No?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Blackberry Priv
    03-15-16 03:58 AM
    Cant you own a Priv just because you like it? Or.. No?

Of course. If anyone likes the screen or the pkb or the curved edge or whatever - free will and free choice. But explaining its privacy protections or the lack thereof can help people make and informed decision.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    03-15-16 08:36 AM
    It's truly a privilege.
    A great privilege.
    To purchase at a grand price.
    A stock android device.

So who liked my poem? Please say you did. YAY

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-16 09:30 AM
    It's truly a privilege.
    A great privilege.
    A stock android device.

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Privilege-109134.jpg  
    03-15-16 01:45 PM
    It sure is a big deal isn't it? Only referring to the Privacy part of the name and not any other Android devices. The reason I got the Priv about 2 months ago was because all the years my primary device was a BlackBerry. Previously I had a Z30. I assume we will see what we will see when Android M comes.
    03-15-16 02:24 PM
    It's truly a privilege.
    A great privilege.
    A stock android device.

Posted via CB10
    And anytime get ready to be backstabbed by BlackBerry in all privilege :P

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 02:29 PM
    Ughh!

You're one of those ones I see. I'm cringing so hard I'm seeing stars.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 04:03 PM
    And anytime get ready to be backstabbed by BlackBerry in all privilege :P

Posted via CB10
    I wear armour 24/7. BlackBerry couldn't touch me even if they tried. I'm prehistoric :P

Posted via CB10
    03-15-16 04:05 PM
    Ughh!

You're one of those ones I see. I'm cringing so hard I'm seeing stars.

Posted via CB10
    Lmao. Worth it, definitely worth it.
    03-16-16 04:19 AM
    Lmao. Worth it, definitely worth it.
    LMAO okay you're being mean to me now, stahp it.

If you think I said it, I didn't say it.
    03-16-16 05:28 AM