I wasn't happy with the battery life on the Priv. Dying at 9pm one day, 6pm the next day, and both on days where I didn't really consider my usage heavy at all (the second day I had a couple of phone calls that we're a bit longer...but nothing crazy).

And this is already a week after I've had the phone, so the heavy usage love affair cooled off and I was back to more normal use.

Last night I deactivated the BlackBerry Hub though and today went to just using native Android apps. Much better battery life. Now 10:15pm, phone came off the charger at 6am, a fairly heavy day of use (including traveling to my parents which is in a lower coverage area and also was checking my Nest streams out quite a bit) and as I type this at 10:15pm I'm still at 30% battery.

Anybody else kill the BB Hub app and see a much improved battery life? Will continue to test over days ahead. Having a dead phone at 6pm for me is absolutely unacceptable, so need to have it get to a point where the Priv IS getting me through a full day. It's a big battery and rated by BlackBerry at 23 hours of mixed use - so there's something definitely eating the life away way quicker than it should be given where it was dying on me the last few days in light usage.
    11-17-15 10:19 PM
    ^WOW the Michaluck^
    11-17-15 10:24 PM
    ^WOW the Michaluck^
    Spelled it wrong.. It's Michaluk. But I forgive you. Hi!!
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    11-17-15 10:32 PM
    Yuup! Same here, after reading multiple threads reporting this, decided to test it out today and to my surprise it gave me kinda the same results as Mr. Michaluk.

Will keep testing this out for a few days to see if it really works.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-17-15 10:48 PM
    another reason why i will not buy this piece of junk and stick to my Passport.

11-17-15 10:57 PM
    another reason why i will not buy this piece of junk and stick to my Passport.

Good riddance.....

11-17-15 11:05 PM
    I've been doing about 4 hrs of screen on time with about 15% battery used in phone calls per day.

On weekends when I'm not on calls much, I'm getting neat 5.5 hrs of screen-on-time.

Another thing I tried was to disable adaptive brightness and leave it at about 35% brightnes and I could swear it improved my battery life by about 10%. Ended up going to adaptive brightness because it's more consistent while moving through various lighting conditions.

11-17-15 11:06 PM
    Does anyone know how to disable gmail push notifications? I don't even use Gmail and don't want it constantly syncing. Also how do I remove all non-local contacts from the contacts app?

11-18-15 01:33 PM
    Hmmmm.. I spoke too soon. 1:38pm and I'm down to 30% battery life already. Something on here is drawing mega juice. I often do a Clear All Apps... but maybe not often enough. Gotta pay closer attention.

Just annoying because I haven't worried about battery life in a long time, so don't like having to think about it again :/
    manuelmay likes this.
    11-18-15 01:41 PM
    Hmmmm.. I spoke too soon. 1:38pm and I'm down to 30% battery life already. Something on here is drawing mega juice. I often do a Clear All Apps... but maybe not often enough. Gotta pay closer attention.

Just annoying because I haven't worried about battery life in a long time, so don't like having to think about it again :/
    Try the Greenify app I mentioned above. This worked for me. I had a couple of weather apps that still ran in the background (even though they were closed) that were killing my battery.

11-18-15 04:38 PM

What is your screen on time?

I average 5.5-6hrs SOT per charge, with at least an hour of phone calls per day.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    11-18-15 05:05 PM
    Hi, so I just got my blackberry priv, yesterday from a AT&T store, I do like my Priv, but the battery does drain very fast, and even more while using wi-fi. So my question is this normal? and if this is normal is anyway to fix it?

Thank you.
    I dont really know the exact, but for me it lasts the entire day as im listening to my music, watching a couple youtube videos and going on some of those stupid stock chat message boards.... t the end of the day (about 2:30am) I still have about 40 -43% of battery life left.

By 5am Im already recharging it so I dont really know, I dont really care, because that is my usually daily grind. Compared to my other phones before the Priv, I think I might actually go 2 days before it dies on me or something. but who knows. Im sometimes OCD on my daily grind. Your problem if you cant set a schedule or responsible enough about power conservation.

I have come across several people who whined and complained because they got kicked out of establishments because all they wanted to do was charge their phone and stuff.

lol
    11-18-15 05:17 PM
    Watch your apps.

Turn on DTEK and find the apps pulling location every five minutes, and shoot them.

That will largely resolve it.

I easily get a full day of use... At 62% right now and I get up at 6:00 daily.

11-18-15 06:02 PM

It's probably the constant data mining that's going on in android. This phone is seriously one cheaply made, piece of junk. What a joke.
    11-19-15 07:22 AM
    Seriously guys, complaints on battery life are worthless without showing us both the battery stats page and the screen on time.

We need to know what is killing the battery, and how heavily you are using the phone. Nothing else can be done without that info.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    d a elliott and waveuk like this.
    11-19-15 07:45 AM
    Mobile standby seems to be killing my battery

Off charge at 6am, and down to 47% (14:30 here)

Screen on is 1hr 24
    Mobile standby 8hr 18
    Blackberry services is at 9% (mobile radio active 1hr 26)

Not sure that helps?
    11-19-15 08:33 AM
    Was having a few battery issues myself, spoke to Support and eventually did a factory reset. First full day since, took off charge at 7.30am (lie in this morning!) and still at 63% now just over 7 hours later after a normal working day. Also not getting as warm either.
    Maybe a little drastic to do but fingers crossed it fixed two of my biggest issues.

11-19-15 08:42 AM
    I'm averaging about 6-7 hours of screen on time. I did have terrible battery issues initially. I followed the set up instructions many here posted adding my email accounts last after updating all apps. Ai also use the flip to save battery setting and flip the Priv when I'm done. On Saturday with light emails (10 vs 80 during the week) i got about 11 hours of SoT. Tweak your settings for your use.

Wow, this is phenomenal! I would love to have 6-7 hours of screen on time. 11 hours SOT would be a dream come true. I've been using the Priv for two days now, and am averaging just over 4 hours SOT. So, how much SOT did you have at the beginning during your terrible initial period?

Also, what sort of screen on time are the other posters getting? Just curious for comparison purposes.
    11-19-15 11:26 AM
    For me the battery drains fast. Within one hour of disconnecting from the charger I'm already at 75 percent and then it says it has like an estimate time of six hours. Tbh I haven't even installed any apps besides the maybe one file manager and QuickPic. So I really doubt it's background data. People say it's "indexing" and all... but it's like day 5. -_-

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 11:43 AM
    Well I had some time on my hands yesterday and tried a factory reset as suguested in another thread. I was skeptical to say the least.

Well today I can report that my battery is now comparable to my Sony Z3

Off charge at 7am
    It's now 13:48 and I'm at 73% whereas yesterday I was at about 40%

FYI
    Hour of screen time
    Hour of bluetooth music streaming (music on device)
    2 x e-mail accounts (work e-mail averages about 60 e-mails a day)
    Connected to my Sony SW3 all day
    11-20-15 07:50 AM
    I disabled BB Hub right out of the gate because I didn't like it (double notifications, etc). The day after I first got my Priv, I took it off the charger at 5:30AM, then took these screenshots roughly a day and a half later: http://i.imgur.com/EoGkFU8.png and http://i.imgur.com/uytyccJ.png

That's pretty light usage of the Priv, as you can see, but I could have squeezed nearly 4 days total out of the battery life which I find is pretty amazing. I posted the same screenshot to reddit and got some pretty spiteful PMs about me being an ***** because anyone could get 4 days out of a phone if they "never turn it on", but I actually did use it to make calls, write emails, respond to texts, browse the web, etc. I wasn't gaming or anything, but it also wasn't just sitting in a drawer. For what it's worth ...
    11-20-15 08:01 AM
    Battery life is best measured by screen time. Many settings actually affect battery life not nearly as significantly as we tend to think. For example, there is very little difference in screen time between keeping location services on or keeping them off, between syncing regularly and never. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. Screen Brightness will make the greatest difference, but only if it's completely dim. Again, the difference between 15% and 50% brightness is negligible, but between the lowest and 15% is more significant.

The point of all of this is: don't compromise the way you use your phone to squeeze out extra battery. It's not going to make a difference of hours, but maybe 30 min. of screen time at best. I've tested this multiple times with the Priv, even across different Privs.

So what *is* normal? Normal is roughly 20% / hour of screen time (i.e. 5-6 hours of screen time). Some will get a little more, some a little less. Unless you're a heavy screen user, this won't affect a work day for most. If you are a heavy user, take advantage of quick charge, especially during a commute.

It's possible BlackBerry issues an update that gets a little more energy efficient, but I wouldn't expect it to get more than an extra 30 minutes of screen time out of it. 5-6 hours, while not world class, is very reasonable. You can also use something like JuiceDefender, which *might* eke out a little more screen time, but all of those kinds of apps come with costs and tradeoffs.

Quite possibly the best comment I've read on battery life. That's been my main issue with all this battery stuff, nothing seems to really be working. I hate having to do all of this extra stuff just to get my battery to operate at a marginally better rate. No point having a phone you aren't free to use as you wish.

11-29-15 04:49 PM

Good to see you around again!
    11-29-15 05:47 PM
    While a factory reset solved most of my issues raising my battery life to roughly on par if not slightly better then my Note 3 (2nd day, 3.5hrs screen time, 36% remaining, 19hrs remaining), I still feel as if browsing the Internet and using the hub is making my cpu eat battery life.

The strange thing is, is that Netflix does not seem to use much power at all, I could probably get some crazy screen time by letting my phone play through 3 or 4 films in a row and still have battery life left to spare.

11-29-15 07:08 PM
    I have noticed that the Priv does not properly utilize low power states of the CPU and runs full tilt on simple things like web browsing which KILLS the battery life. You don't need 6 cores chugging along at max clock speeds to browse a forum! I use Firefox browsers and some sites are fine, others (mainly anything with animations - even if its just a banner ad) peg the CPU and makes it run hot within 5 minutes and kill battery for no reason.

With some software updates and proper hibernation this thing will be INSANE 6+hrs SOT battery life, but there are lot of things currently wrong with the software that drain battery - from the Hub, to BB Services, to the CPU not using lower power/frequency states. I was averaging 5+hrs SOT at first, now I get random days where I get as little as 2.5-3hrs SOT. Wipe the Blackberry Services data to reset hub without having to factory reset and I'm back to 4.5-5 for a day or two before it bugs out and goes to ~3hrs again.

We really need a few updates to make this the phone it has the potential to be - hopefully it gets updated before the holiday advertisement push so it's ready for prime time when other carriers get it and sales increase.

While a factory reset solved most of my issues raising my battery life to roughly on par if not slightly better then my Note 3 (2nd day, 3.5hrs screen time, 36% remaining, 19hrs remaining), I still feel as if browsing the Internet and using the hub is making my cpu eat battery life.

The strange thing is, is that Netflix does not seem to use much power at all, I could probably get some crazy screen time by letting my phone play through 3 or 4 films in a row and still have battery life left to spare.

I have noticed this too. A seemingly demanding app or game can be played for a while and the phone stays nice and cool while only sipping battery life, but something else totally simple like browsing a website will cause crazy heat and high battery drain.

All software stuff that can be fixed, but should have been done before release.
    11-29-15 07:28 PM
50 12