Hi, so I just got my blackberry priv, yesterday from a AT&T store, I do like my Priv, but the battery does drain very fast, and even more while using wi-fi. So my question is this normal? and if this is normal is anyway to fix it?

Thank you.
    11-07-15 07:37 PM
    Push the square button on bottom right.
    Push clear all.
    You might have many programs running in background.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Priv
    11-07-15 07:39 PM
    Maybe with all the setup and accounts syncing it may need time to settle. Report back after a day or two

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 07:40 PM
    I'm noticing the same thing. Battery life sucks so far, hopefully that changes in a few days.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 07:42 PM
    Sure battery will be bad the few day you have it....after all its new to you and your using more then normal while getting used to it. Let us now how the battery life is after a few days from now.
    11-07-15 07:45 PM
    Sure battery will be bad the few day you have it....after all its new to you and your using more then normal while getting used to it. Let us now how the battery life is after a few days from now.
    That was not my experience with my new Z30 I brought 3 months ago. Battery was excellent right out the box. Young lady at my job has a Samsung S6 Edge. I see her phone plugged in the wall all the time...she said the battery sucks. The Priv internals is all android. Samsung made the curved glass and BB made the sliding keyboard and plastic body. The Priv is more Samsungesque than people think.
    11-07-15 07:54 PM
    That was not my experience with my new Z30 I brought 3 months ago. Battery was excellent right out the box. Young lady at my job has a Samsung S6 Edge. I see her phone plugged in the wall all the time...she said the battery sucks. The Priv internals is all android. Samsung made the curved glass and BB made the sliding keyboard and plastic body. No excuses about it being new...
    When i was first setting up my Passport the battery did not last all day cause i was on it getting used to it after a few day i was getting two day use out of it. so yes new phone and the learning curve, My daughter has not put the phone down and she know her way around android OS.
    11-07-15 08:01 PM
    When i was first setting up my Passport the battery did not last all day cause i was on it getting used to it after a few day i was getting two day use out of it. so yes new phone and the learning curve, My daughter has not put the phone down and she know her way around android OS.
    Thanks for feed back...just reading as much as I can on user experience. I like the looks of the Priv...not sure about keyboard. I never used a physical KB in the past and it felt too small. If I scoop up a Priv I will just keep it closed and treated it as a full touch....keep me posted on that battery life. The Z30 two days off a charge has spoiled me.
    11-07-15 08:08 PM
    I got my priv on Friday morning, so today was my first full day. Took it off the charger at 5:50am and it is now 9:15pm, and i have 18 % remaining. Given its still new, i have rarely set it down all day. So I'm happy with it.

11-07-15 08:19 PM
    I've already gotten really used to pressing the square button to close down all opened apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I do close all applications all the time, maybe is because like some of you said is new, I am going to give it a few days to see if it will improve.
    11-07-15 11:16 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I do close all applications all the time, maybe is because like some of you said is new, I am going to give it a few days to see if it will improve.
    Make sure you slow down or sync on all email accounts , and turn off auto updates on any news, sports , weather and all apps etc. I had same problem and was freaking out but today battery is awesome. Lasted all day

posted from my Priv!
    11-07-15 11:20 PM
    I've already gotten really used to pressing the square button to close down all opened apps.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I appreciate this advice. I already had my emails set to 'never' sync, as that is how I ran them on BB10. Still noticed a significant battery drain compared to my Q10. Not trying to be a naysayer, though. Really want BlackBerry to succeed. Hopefully, clearing these open apps will help battery life, as running battery saver mode puts an unsightly red bar on the top and bottom of the screen (which I suppose is okay if your phone is almost dead, but not something I want to see all the time).

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 01:10 AM
    That was not my experience with my new Z30 I brought 3 months ago. Battery was excellent right out the box. Young lady at my job has a Samsung S6 Edge. I see her phone plugged in the wall all the time...she said the battery sucks. The Priv internals is all android. Samsung made the curved glass and BB made the sliding keyboard and plastic body. The Priv is more Samsungesque than people think.
    Biggest load of rubbish I have read

Your Z30 itself uses many Samsung and Qualcomm components as a Priv and any other Android or WP. Most phone makers get their components from Qualcomm (SoC with antennas and all), Samsung (memory chips, displays etc..), Sony (Camera sensor) and so on.

Wtf does "The Priv internals is all android." even mean??? Do you understand that Android is simply an OS that is run on a huge variety of internals? From Intel, Samsung, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Sony, Imagination Technologies, JDI, Philips, Motorola, ARM etc....
    11-08-15 02:54 AM
    Do you have a lot of social media accounts installed? Check in each app that they are not refreshing their timelines too frequently.

Also, GPS, by default in Android it is set to High Accuracy, go to it and set it Power Saving, you only need the latter when using satnav.
    ilverodonguido likes this.
    11-08-15 02:58 AM
    Hi, so I just got my blackberry priv, yesterday from a AT&T store, I do like my Priv, but the battery does drain very fast, and even more while using wi-fi. So my question is this normal? and if this is normal is anyway to fix it?

Thank you.
    It will take a few charge cycles to get the full affect of the battery but is important to close active apps.

11-08-15 03:25 AM
    As some Android users said, don't constantly close all apps, better leave them open, because it doesn't really free RAM, and it actually sucks battery life.

That's what they said. I'm not 100% sure this is true, though Linux uses RAM differently...

Black, BlackBerry Z30/ 10.3.2.2789
    11-08-15 04:09 AM
    I tweaked a bunch of settings, followed it with a reboot and I found the life of my battery increased dramatically. It almost plateaued when not in use, compared to the slow, steady drain I was experiencing before. Curious to see how long my device can hold a charge with these new settings.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:39 AM
    As some Android users said, don't constantly close all apps, better leave them open, because it doesn't really free RAM, and it actually sucks battery life.

That's what they said. I'm not 100% sure this is true, though Linux uses RAM differently...

Black, BlackBerry Z30/ 10.3.2.2789
    Yes its true, however if you have excessive battery drain check in App manager under Running app to see which one is the culprit and did not close. You can close it or remove it then. Even on the Passport I was getting drains from apps like DropBox after closing it, it just kept running in the background. There are great app in the appstore that will monitor your battery and let you know which apps or battery eaters.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:18 AM
    Also, GPS, by default in Android it is set to High Accuracy, go to it and set it Power Saving, you only need the latter when using satnav.
    Good call on this. Thought I had checked every possible battery-saving setting!
    11-08-15 09:38 AM
    Good call on this. Thought I had checked every possible battery-saving setting!
    Awesome

I hope it helped.
    11-08-15 10:49 AM
    Battery Issue (Solution) I mean completely Solved!

I had the same issue on the Priv and I solved it in the craziest way, I purchased the flip case and instantly the battery life improved, I did not buy it with that intention, but I swear the battery life has been great for the last 2 days straight now I feel ripped off because it cost me some �45 but it did work and thankfully too! Because honestly I was thinking of returning the thing and going back to my Passport... Now I can leave all the apps opened with no issues what so ever
    Last edited by Blackmailme; 11-17-15 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the device in question Priv Battery Solution!
    11-17-15 02:47 PM
    I'm averaging about 6-7 hours of screen on time. I did have terrible battery issues initially. I followed the set up instructions many here posted adding my email accounts last after updating all apps. Ai also use the flip to save battery setting and flip the Priv when I'm done. On Saturday with light emails (10 vs 80 during the week) i got about 11 hours of SoT. Tweak your settings for your use.

11-17-15 07:20 PM
    I was getting just OK battery like and tried several different things to try and improve it. I played with all sorts of email sync settings, etc, and nothing seemed to work. The only thing that worked for me was an app called Greenify (free app). I use my device for most of the day and prior to this app I would be at about 5% by 10pm and after loading the app I am at about 45% by the same time. One of the biggest challenges are apps that run in the background. This app identifies them and allows you to force close them. These apps are killing the battery and this definitely worked for me.

11-17-15 08:46 PM

Thank you.
    Battery life is best measured by screen time. Many settings actually affect battery life not nearly as significantly as we tend to think. For example, there is very little difference in screen time between keeping location services on or keeping them off, between syncing regularly and never. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. Screen Brightness will make the greatest difference, but only if it's completely dim. Again, the difference between 15% and 50% brightness is negligible, but between the lowest and 15% is more significant.

The point of all of this is: don't compromise the way you use your phone to squeeze out extra battery. It's not going to make a difference of hours, but maybe 30 min. of screen time at best. I've tested this multiple times with the Priv, even across different Privs.

So what *is* normal? Normal is roughly 20% / hour of screen time (i.e. 5-6 hours of screen time). Some will get a little more, some a little less. Unless you're a heavy screen user, this won't affect a work day for most. If you are a heavy user, take advantage of quick charge, especially during a commute.

It's possible BlackBerry issues an update that gets a little more energy efficient, but I wouldn't expect it to get more than an extra 30 minutes of screen time out of it. 5-6 hours, while not world class, is very reasonable. You can also use something like JuiceDefender, which *might* eke out a little more screen time, but all of those kinds of apps come with costs and tradeoffs.

ReSeanRussell likes this.
    11-17-15 09:04 PM
50 12