Does anyone know if the Priv will have USB-C?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 10:03 PM
    No, unless they change it last minutes
    10-07-15 10:08 PM
    No, unless they change it last minutes
    Hope they did! Might as well go with type C, google's new phones did it right, no wireless charging but solid type C. only thing better is the fast wireless charging like on the note 5. But then less battery capacity.... dang.
    10-07-15 11:15 PM
    Hope they did! Might as well go with type C, google's new phones did it right, no wireless charging but solid type C. only thing better is the fast wireless charging like on the note 5. But then less battery capacity.... dang.
    GLAD they didn't... rather be a "mature" adopter than a early adopter. Micro-USB is everywhere, USB type-C is it's early stages and nobody has it. Good luck running out of battery and finding somwhere to charge the phone. With you the current micro-USB, everybody has a charger for it if you forget to charge it. I can charge my phone on airports, or even ask some restaurant worker to charge the phone while I eat if i'm out of juice. If you go to a friend's house, unless all family uses iphone, they will have charger for you.

USB type-C is more difficult to find, than finding an iphone cable, micro-USB power is everywhere. Leave USB-C for the Priv 2 (if it ever happens)
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    10-08-15 05:05 AM
    GLAD they didn't... rather be a "mature" adopter than a early adopter. Micro-USB is everywhere, USB type-C is it's early stages and nobody has it. Good luck running out of battery and finding somwhere to charge the phone. With you the current micro-USB, everybody has a charger for it if you forget to charge it. I can charge my phone on airports, or even ask some restaurant worker to charge the phone while I eat if i'm out of juice. If you go to a friend's house, unless all family uses iphone, they will have charger for you.

USB type-C is more difficult to find, than finding an iphone cable, micro-USB power is everywhere. Leave USB-C for the Priv 2 (if it ever happens)
    Personally, I would prefer that the phone had USB 3 instead (not happening, of course). That way, I could still charge it with a Micro USB 2 (readily available, as you said), and have the USB 3 speed when using USB 3 cable. I can't stand the transfer speed of USB 2...what a pain.
    brian4591 likes this.
    10-08-15 06:34 AM

Couldn't agree more. No need to waste time or money on that technology yet. I think this is a page from Apple's books - let something become the standard, and then incorporate it.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 09:50 AM
    Personally, I would prefer that the phone had USB 3 instead (not happening, of course). That way, I could still charge it with a Micro USB 2 (readily available, as you said), and have the USB 3 speed when using USB 3 cable. I can't stand the transfer speed of USB 2...what a pain.
    I understand that. Personally I rearely transfer files form the pc to the phone, so isn't a big deal for me. If you're going to use memory card, I would sugest you to buy a fast memory card reader for your PC, those are great and fast
    10-08-15 10:34 AM
    Or just set up file transfer via Wi-Fi. Android has many SMB clients for Windows file sharing.
    10-08-15 10:37 AM
    ...I would sugest you to buy a fast memory card reader for your PC, those are great and fast
    I did just that a while back. I got an SD/micro-SD card reader (USB 3). I use it with the phone's SD card. But I'm stuck on USB 2 when needing to transfer to/from the phone's internal storage. I now try to store stuff on the SD card instead of internal, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to take the card out and plug it into card reader, and plug it into the computer, then transfer, then unplug the card, then put it back in the phone. It would be so much more convenient if I could just plug the phone to that USB 3 cable dangling from the computer's USB 3 port.
    Last edited by pomidor; 10-09-15 at 06:04 AM. Reason: I suck
    10-09-15 05:59 AM
    Or just set up file transfer via Wi-Fi. Android has many SMB clients for Windows file sharing.
    I tried transferring over wi-fi on my z30, I got the same crappy speed as with USB 2. Mind you, my wi-fi is just sh!t, so that could be the cause. Some crappy router from Orange.
    10-09-15 06:02 AM
    I tried transferring over wi-fi on my z30, I got the same crappy speed as with USB 2. Mind you, my wi-fi is just sh!t, so that could be the cause. Some crappy router from Orange.
    I have no problems transferring files using Blend and Link SMB with my router (Asus RT-N66U). Except that one time Blend had a bug and it froze.
    10-09-15 07:12 AM
    I did just that a while back. I got an SD/micro-SD card reader (USB 3). I use it with the phone's SD card. But I'm stuck on USB 2 when needing to transfer to/from the phone's internal storage. I now try to store stuff on the SD card instead of internal, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to take the card out and plug it into card reader, and plug it into the computer, then transfer, then unplug the card, then put it back in the phone. It would be so much more convenient if I could just plug the phone to that USB 3 cable dangling from the computer's USB 3 port.
    I understand that. I've never had a phone that has USB3, but from my experience, sometimes for larger files is much better to take the card off the phone, because transfering via phone is way too slow, even for USB2.
    10-09-15 12:14 PM
    Type C would be a con, not a pro. Micro USB cables are ubiquitous and cheap; type C is rare and requires dumb adapters. And on that note, long live 2.0/3.0.
    10-10-15 01:07 AM
    If not USB C any idea if it supports fast charging?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 01:56 AM
    If not USB C any idea if it supports fast charging?

Posted via CB10
    The rumored chipset supports fast charging. On topic: I am also kind of glad it doesn't have USB-C. Even though it's the future to some point, I'd need to either buy a bunch of new cables or adapters to charge the Priv. I have lots of standard micro-USB cables around for my wallchargers and powerbanks which work just fine for all current devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 07:22 AM
    Type C would be a con, not a pro. Micro USB cables are ubiquitous and cheap; type C is rare and requires dumb adapters. And on that note, long live 2.0/3.0.
    You need to start somewhere to change. I'm for USB-C on the long run to unite all the port standards, USB is a fustercluck right now that needs cleaning up. But I do agree it's not time for the Priv to change over, just to keep costs down for now around critical times.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-10-15 07:38 AM
    The rumored chipset supports fast charging. On topic: I am also kind of glad it doesn't have USB-C. Even though it's the future to some point, I'd need to either buy a bunch of new cables or adapters to charge the Priv. I have lots of standard micro-USB cables around for my wallchargers and powerbanks which work just fine for all current devices.

Posted via CB10
    Not only you, but everybody, your family, your friends, the restaurant, the airport.... There's micro-usb everywhere to rescue if you run out of juice. USB-C will be great when it gets more popular
    10-10-15 07:51 AM
    I can't stand the transfer speed of USB 2...what a pain.
    Well, I highly doubt you would get any faster speeds from USB 3.0. Perhaps for the internal memory but only while you're reading from it.
    10-10-15 11:35 PM
    direct Wi-Fi I think is even better
    10-11-15 12:58 AM
    As much as I would love to see it, I think that the general population would look at it as a negative. Most people don't understand it and would think they were doing what Apple does with their chargers. Let someone else start using it and take the "blame"

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-11-15 09:23 AM
    As much as I would love to see it, I think that the general population would look at it as a negative. Most people don't understand it and would think they were doing what Apple does with their chargers. Let someone else start using it and take the "blame"

Posted via CB10
    well said
    10-11-15 10:15 AM
    Look, people have to realize that BlackBerry releases devices with speced from a year ago. For sure they'll start to venture out with USB type C next 2017 : laugh :
    10-11-15 11:13 AM
    A good discussion.
    I guess the benefits of USB 3/or C are a little lacking if you look at the use cases.
    And with so many cloud and streamlined services the PC to Phone transfer use is surely disappearing.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 05:20 PM
    I have USB-C on my Lumia. It sure is easier to plug in, especially in the dark!!
    06-06-16 08:14 AM