Hello all -- I hope everyone who celebrated enjoyed a happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday.

I am having major problems with my Priv. My corporate IT department offers little help and ultimately blames everything on the carrier (Verizon). They say the device is not functioning properly and it has nothing to do with anything "corporate" they have done, and that all corporate functions are working properly. Verizon tech support is taking two approaches -- first, they say they want to "wipe the device" clean, start again from scratch, reinstall everything, etc.

Second, they are saying that my corporate IT has installed "too much" and it is "draining" the device's power, battery, functionality, etc. I do know my corporate IT initially installed a Gmail app or some sort so that my corporate email, calendar, contacts, were accessed via a Gmail app. That didn't work, so they then installed a company portal/Microsoft Intune so that Outlook would access all of those things. The latter is working OK. But both are still on there.

Anyway, I am a Tech *****, and am technologically challenged -- so I'd like to hire an IT person who can remote in, help me, check out my device, etc., and hopefully improve my situation.

Does anyone know any IT people, companies, who can remote into my device and specifically help with a Priv? Thank you in advance.
    11-26-17 02:16 PM
    Also, I am looking for someone to check my settings, clean up the device, etc. -- just some general expert IT/Priv support.

My biggest problem is that when I connect to wifi -- my battery runs out in a matter of an hour or two...even without using the device, and it won't charge back up while connected to wifi. I have to turn wifi off to get the device to charge back to 100%. Then as soon as I turn the wifi on, an hour or two later...dead. Thanks.
    11-26-17 02:18 PM
    That sounds like something your IT department wouldn't be happy about. I wouldn't recommend letting anyone remote into your device unless they tell you it's ok.

Are you just having battery life issues? There are guides users have posted which you can follow to help with that, they aren't too advanced.
    11-26-17 02:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I ran it by my IT department, and they were more than happy to have me pay someone else to help me. Why? Because my IT department sucks. LOL. It is an afterthought at my company. They push more and more responsibility back to the user, constantly. Anyway, they are OK with us hiring our own tech support people. They limit their role to email, corporate software and applications. Anything that even comes within a whiff of having something to do that doesn't fall under their purview -- they are out!!! LOL.

The battery life issue is the first main problem. There are others. The device is "slow" and seems to have a lot of stuff going on, whether it be in the background or what I don't know. I don't know that my settings are correct. But, first things first -- yes, battery life as it relates to wifi.

Do you have a suggestion as to what guide/user I should try? Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your insight and help.
    11-26-17 03:50 PM
    Any suggestions here? I would like to back up everything -- photos, texts, etc. I don't think I need to back up my contacts, calendar, email, etc., because my corporate connection handles that. My device "syncs" with my Office 365 on my laptop. But I don't want to lose my photos and text messages. I don't even know how to back up everything! I tried this back up to the cloud, but that "failed" and my device won't stay charged with enough battery power to complete a back up to the cloud.

Any help here? Thank you in advance.
    11-26-17 07:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I ran it by my IT department, and they were more than happy to have me pay someone else to help me. Why? Because my IT department sucks. LOL. It is an afterthought at my company. They push more and more responsibility back to the user, constantly. Anyway, they are OK with us hiring our own tech support people. They limit their role to email, corporate software and applications. Anything that even comes within a whiff of having something to do that doesn't fall under their purview -- they are out!!! LOL.

The battery life issue is the first main problem. There are others. The device is "slow" and seems to have a lot of stuff going on, whether it be in the background or what I don't know. I don't know that my settings are correct. But, first things first -- yes, battery life as it relates to wifi.

Do you have a suggestion as to what guide/user I should try? Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your insight and help.
    To start with, have you tried some of these steps?

https://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/...988657674.html

Can you also post a screenshot of your Priv's battery usage? You should also remove any unnecessary or unused apps as they can still run in the background which drains battery and reduces device performance.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smar..._by_blackberry

And finally, are you using the default BlackBerry Launcher? This might have changed recently but it wasn't great for performance in the past, you should try replacing it with a new one from Google Play (Nova Launcher, Microsoft Launcher, etc).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...osoft.launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oilsw.launcher
    11-26-17 07:21 PM
    Start by clearing your cache, then do a 32 second power button reset. Hold the power button for AT LEAST 32 seconds, more than 32 seconds won't hurt a thing, but less than will not work. Ignore the vibrations and any screen flashes. This simulates a battery pull.
    Delete all saved wifi networks, Wifi > 3dot menu (upper right) > saved networks > tap each one you don't use, and 'forget',
    Go into location > 3 dot menu > scanning > turn off wifi and bluetooth scanning. This won't effect your use of either, just stops the phone from constantly looking for wifi and bluetooth connections.
    In location again, make sure Accelerated location, Google location history and Google location sharing are turned off.
    Turn your animations to 0 or .5, this requires turning on developer mode. Here's a great how to on doing this.
    https://blackberryexclusive.co.uk/20...peed-up-phone/
    Do the clear cache and 32 sec power button reset weekly.
    I don't think it's possible to remote into the phone, and change settings, I could be wrong.
    I don't recommend using battery saver mode, it's pretty invasive and turns lots of stuff off. It's OK if you just need to squak by with phone service and texts till you can get to charger, but it's not for normal use.
    11-27-17 11:22 AM
    To start with, have you tried some of these steps?

https://help.blackberry.com/en/priv/...988657674.html

Can you also post a screenshot of your Priv's battery usage? You should also remove any unnecessary or unused apps as they can still run in the background which drains battery and reduces device performance.

How to uninstall apps on my PRIV™ by BlackBerry®

And finally, are you using the default BlackBerry Launcher? This might have changed recently but it wasn't great for performance in the past, you should try replacing it with a new one from Google Play (Nova Launcher, Microsoft Launcher, etc).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...osoft.launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oilsw.launcher
    OK...Thank you!!! First, I will start with your first recommendation (the link). Second, as far as the screenshot -- I will try to post that.

Third, I have tried to remove unnecessary and unused apps, like IMDB. However, after that, the others I tried to remove gave me warning messages that other functions may not function properly. Is there a list of what I can safely remove?

Lastly, as far as the Launcher, I will read up on that...because I have no idea if I am using it or not. Thank you again very much!
    11-28-17 03:47 PM
    OK...Thank you!!! First, I will start with your first recommendation (the link). Second, as far as the screenshot -- I will try to post that.

Third, I have tried to remove unnecessary and unused apps, like IMDB. However, after that, the others I tried to remove gave me warning messages that other functions may not function properly. Is there a list of what I can safely remove?

Lastly, as far as the Launcher, I will read up on that...because I have no idea if I am using it or not. Thank you again very much!
    What apps give you that warning message?

When you receive an app notification, do your home screen icons show a red spark in the top right? If so that's likely from BB Launcher.
    11-28-17 03:55 PM
    Start by clearing your cache, then do a 32 second power button reset. Hold the power button for AT LEAST 32 seconds, more than 32 seconds won't hurt a thing, but less than will not work. Ignore the vibrations and any screen flashes. This simulates a battery pull.
    Delete all saved wifi networks, Wifi > 3dot menu (upper right) > saved networks > tap each one you don't use, and 'forget',
    Go into location > 3 dot menu > scanning > turn off wifi and bluetooth scanning. This won't effect your use of either, just stops the phone from constantly looking for wifi and bluetooth connections.
    In location again, make sure Accelerated location, Google location history and Google location sharing are turned off.
    Turn your animations to 0 or .5, this requires turning on developer mode. Here's a great how to on doing this.
    https://blackberryexclusive.co.uk/20...peed-up-phone/
    Do the clear cache and 32 sec power button reset weekly.
    I don't think it's possible to remote into the phone, and change settings, I could be wrong.
    I don't recommend using battery saver mode, it's pretty invasive and turns lots of stuff off. It's OK if you just need to squak by with phone service and texts till you can get to charger, but it's not for normal use.
    OK on clearing the cache. Question -- the 32 second power button reset, which simulates a battery pull -- no consequences? It doesn't do a factory reset? No loss of data? Thanks in advance.

OK, delete all saved wifi networks. Did that. There were a ton of them. I also went to the location/scanning setting -- bluetooth was off, but the wifi one was on. I thought that was OK, so that the device would find local wifi and I'd be able to connect. Regardless, I turned it off as you suggested. Accelerated location and the one with the badge (for work) have boxes that say "Location Consent" and the box is either checked or unchecked...both of mine are unchecked.

I'll do the animations thing later tonight. As far as remote into the phone -- my IT people have done it using this thing called "Team Viewer QuickSupport". They remote in and I may have to make the changes, but they remote in, I am on the phone with them, and they tell me what to change, but they are looking at the screen with me (via remote). It's cool, LOL.

Thank you very much again!!!
    11-28-17 04:01 PM
    OK on clearing the cache. Question -- the 32 second power button reset, which simulates a battery pull -- no consequences? It doesn't do a factory reset? No loss of data? Thanks in advance.

OK, delete all saved wifi networks. Did that. There were a ton of them. I also went to the location/scanning setting -- bluetooth was off, but the wifi one was on. I thought that was OK, so that the device would find local wifi and I'd be able to connect. Regardless, I turned it off as you suggested. Accelerated location and the one with the badge (for work) have boxes that say "Location Consent" and the box is either checked or unchecked...both of mine are unchecked.

I'll do the animations thing later tonight. As far as remote into the phone -- my IT people have done it using this thing called "Team Viewer QuickSupport". They remote in and I may have to make the changes, but they remote in, I am on the phone with them, and they tell me what to change, but they are looking at the screen with me (via remote). It's cool, LOL.

Thank you very much again!!!
    No consequences with the 32 second reboot. Not a factory reset and no loss of data.
    11-28-17 04:07 PM
    Any suggestions here? I would like to back up everything -- photos, texts, etc. I don't think I need to back up my contacts, calendar, email, etc., because my corporate connection handles that. My device "syncs" with my Office 365 on my laptop. But I don't want to lose my photos and text messages. I don't even know how to back up everything! I tried this back up to the cloud, but that "failed" and my device won't stay charged with enough battery power to complete a back up to the cloud.

Any help here? Thank you in advance.
    Do you have an SD card installed? If so, your photos should be on the card if you have your camera set to have them sent to the card. If not, does your IT department allow you to have one? If so, buy one. Do you have a third party file manager installed? If not, does your IT department allow it? If so, I recommend Solid Explorer from the Google Play store. It is relatively simple to transfer media from the internal storage to the SD card.

There are so many variables here depending on what the IT department allows. Also many options for solutions to your issues. Are you using the stock charger that came with your Priv? If so, you may want to consider a Quick Charger 2.0.
    11-28-17 04:19 PM
    Wifi scanning doesn't prevent you from using any public wifi you want to, It just keeps it from constantly looking and hitting on whatever it see's.
    As in, driving down the road and picking up 3 McDonalds, 4 Starbucks, 2 local coffee shops, 6 hotel chains, 14 private residential, etc, etc.

I've used Team Viewer, had no idea it worked for Android. If I read your post correctly, they can see the screen, but can't actually do anything? You change what ever setting why tell you to?
    11-29-17 04:53 AM
    What apps give you that warning message?

When you receive an app notification, do your home screen icons show a red spark in the top right? If so that's likely from BB Launcher.
    I tried to disable apps I would never use -- like -- Cookie Jam, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, go90, Google Play Music, and others. When I hit disable, a box pops up that says "If you disable this app, other apps may no longer function as intended. Your data will also be deleted"

App notification? If I understand your question -- no, I have never seen a red spark anywhere before. Thanks.
    11-29-17 04:04 PM
    Do you have an SD card installed? If so, your photos should be on the card if you have your camera set to have them sent to the card. If not, does your IT department allow you to have one? If so, buy one. Do you have a third party file manager installed? If not, does your IT department allow it? If so, I recommend Solid Explorer from the Google Play store. It is relatively simple to transfer media from the internal storage to the SD card.

There are so many variables here depending on what the IT department allows. Also many options for solutions to your issues. Are you using the stock charger that came with your Priv? If so, you may want to consider a Quick Charger 2.0.
    No SD card installed. My IT department does allow me to have one. You are talking about a mini memory card, right?

Third party file manager -- sorry, I have no idea what that even is. My IT department allows a lot. They just won't help with anything. LOL.

I used both the stock charger that came with the device and a quick-charger (2.0). Thanks.
    11-29-17 04:13 PM
    Wifi scanning doesn't prevent you from using any public wifi you want to, It just keeps it from constantly looking and hitting on whatever it see's.
    As in, driving down the road and picking up 3 McDonalds, 4 Starbucks, 2 local coffee shops, 6 hotel chains, 14 private residential, etc, etc.

I've used Team Viewer, had no idea it worked for Android. If I read your post correctly, they can see the screen, but can't actually do anything? You change what ever setting why tell you to?
    Got it. Thank you!

Yes, it is TeamViewer Quick Support. They remote in and see my screen, device, etc. I don't think they can control anything or change settings. I am always on the phone with the IT person and they tell me what to do and then they watch what happens. I think I remember them re-starting/re-booting the device once, but I don't remember. Regardless, yes, exactly what you said is what occurs. It's really cool. LOL.
    11-29-17 04:16 PM
    I tried to disable apps I would never use -- like -- Cookie Jam, Amazon, Amazon Kindle, go90, Google Play Music, and others. When I hit disable, a box pops up that says "If you disable this app, other apps may no longer function as intended. Your data will also be deleted"

App notification? If I understand your question -- no, I have never seen a red spark anywhere before. Thanks.
    Assuming you don't need them you should be able to disable them without problem. Worst case scenario, you could always re-enable them if they're needed.
    11-29-17 09:24 PM