They did. That was my family I was talking about in the front page article (I'm assuming that's where you read it because I posted there that my mom and sister wouldn't buy it based on the name alone). If you read, my sister just bought an iPhone6S and moved on from using her Z30 and waiting for the Slider.

I'm referring to my friend and his dad... which I thought I made clear multiple times already.

Posted via CB10
    Was is this? A telenovela? jk
    First of all, I would never get myself an iPhone. I said that the S6 felt fragile to me... that is not a compliment. I do, however, like the way the S6 Active feels. As I wrote, I'm still on the fence with the Slider.

This forum's sole purpose is to discuss a phone that has not yet been released so I'm not sure what the problem is. Am I not allowed to be disappointed that the front camera is 2MP? I'm still holding out hope that it is 5MP.

Posted via CB10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-20-15 10:37 PM
    Apple has some great marketing. They've been able to get away with releasing lower MP cameras (along with other lower specs) because they have a million commercials telling you how great their camera is.

With the 6S, I keep seeing a commercial about the camera and the screen being the front flash along with advertising how great the video capture is. I'm not a fan at all of iOS and think that many people just got tied up in their ecosystem and don't bother to even look at the competition. They just wait for the next iPhone and upgrade.

I was able to get my sister from an iPhone 5 to the Z10 then Z30. She loved BB10, as do my parents. Unfortunately, she moved on a week or so ago and got an iPhone6S. She really hated the name (priv), as I already wrote, and is familiar with iOS (not to mention her husband has had a smartphone grudge against me since I switched her to the BlackBerry camp lol) so she's a lost cause for now.

My dad is still using his Z10 and needs to upgrade so will likely go for the Priv if he can handle the size. I'm glad it looks to be not much larger than a Z30 even with a 5.4" screen. He really doesn't want to go much larger than his Z10, but I feel like once he uses a larger screen he'd realize he's been missing out. My mom is fine for now on the upgrade path since she is enjoying the Passport that my sister and I bought her for Mother's Day.

Anyway, Apple has been a master at marketing and pulling people into their closed ecosystem making it hard to switch. I remember switching to the Z10 with my sister and she couldn't receive any texts from iPhone users because of imessage. It was a complete disaster and took weeks to resolve between Verizon and Apple. Back then she was almost frustrated enough to just keep the iPhone. This was obviously before Apple released the disable imessage website or whatever they have now.

Back to the camera topic... curious if anyone knows if the iPhone's front camera actually has a flash or if it's just a gimmick where the screen "flashes"?

Posted via CB10
    The screen lights up or brightens.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-20-15 10:44 PM
    Wow, this phone has expandable memory capabilities up to 2TB and all some of you care about is the lame 2 mp front facing camera?

Seriously, some claim the 2 mp camera is confirmed, others speak of a 5 mp camera as if it were confirmed. And then some are saying "...a rumored 5 mp front facing camera".

Anyways, I know that you cannot judge a camera by megapixels alone and that the number of megapixels is largely meaningless. But hey, it's all about the specs, right?
    10-20-15 10:49 PM
    Didn't the iphone have 1.3 mp until a short time ago? Honestly, 2mp is absolutely fine for front facing. What can't it do that a 5mp front camera can? For me, the main issue with front cams is how it handles low light. If they get that right, it'll be way better than much of the competition.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    10-21-15 12:33 AM
    Wow, this phone has expandable memory capabilities up to 2TB and all some of you care about is the lame 2 mp front facing camera?

Seriously, some claim the 2 mp camera is confirmed, others speak of a 5 mp camera as if it were confirmed. And then some are saying "...a rumored 5 mp front facing camera".

Anyways, I know that you cannot judge a camera by megapixels alone and that the number of megapixels is largely meaningless. But hey, it's all about the specs, right?
    I know, 2Tb! Nearly made me spill my beer when I read that. You could copy the entire content of your PC onto your phone! I'll probably stick with 64Gb card though as that's enough for me. I'm not the happy owner of a 4K TV so there won't be much of that going on. I don't take many pics either or listen to music. it'll be good to put a load of films on though. Does anyone know if a physical connection to a TV is possible? That has saved me from boredom many times in hotel rooms over the last few years. And what is Chromecast? Does it do the same thing?

10-21-15 12:41 AM
    I know, 2Tb! Nearly made me spill my beer when I read that. You could copy the entire content of your PC onto your phone! I'll probably stick with 64Gb card though as that's enough for me. I'm not the happy owner of a 4K TV so there won't be much of that going on. I don't take many pics either or listen to music. it'll be good to put a load of films on though. Does anyone know if a physical connection to a TV is possible? That has saved me from boredom many times in hotel rooms over the last few years. And what is Chromecast? Does it do the same thing?

I've got a 128 gig SD card on my current phone and I'll be switching it over to the priv once I get it. another reason why I wish more phones offered expandable storage.

10-21-15 12:47 AM
    Was is this? A telenovela? jk

Haha. I actually had to look that up. If I keep my posts short then I get called out as shown above. I try to contribute with thought out sometimes too thorough posts lol.

"A telenovela, Brazilian Portuguese: is a type of limited-run serial drama and popular on Europe, West Asian, Southeast Asian, Latin American, East Asian, South Asian, Arab World, Brazil, Portuguese and Spanish television networks."

Learn something new every day!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 06:44 AM
    The screen lights up or brightens.
    So it is just a gimmick? There is not a flash on the front camera of the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 06:45 AM
    So it is just a gimmick? There is not a flash on the front camera of the iPhone?

Posted via CB10
    Gimmick.... yes.

In some situation.... it can also be very useful, as a white screen at full brightness might be all you need of a selfie.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-21-15 07:39 AM
    Haha. I actually had to look that up. If I keep my posts short then I get called out as shown above. I try to contribute with thought out sometimes too thorough posts lol.

"A telenovela, Brazilian Portuguese: is a type of limited-run serial drama and popular on Europe, West Asian, Southeast Asian, Latin American, East Asian, South Asian, Arab World, Brazil, Portuguese and Spanish television networks."

Learn something new every day!

Posted via CB10
    Tl;dr

10-21-15 07:56 AM
    The specs are average at the best, and it is the problem when you enter in a market (Android) where specs are the decisive factor, as I have said in these forums, it is a niche product, not a real mass selling flagship, because the only thing that is different related with other Androids is the PKB (that overcost has to cut other HW specs if they want to have an affordable price), who outside of Crackberry is going to buy this for the BB Suite or the "security" and privacy, I can tell you, almost no one.
    10-21-15 08:07 AM

I believe with Android that there are a few ways to mirror your device to your television, but I'm not all that familiar and pretty sure you'd need a newer TV. The HDMI out on BB10 has helped me greatly at work with groups, etc.

Someone who knows a bit more about Chromecast might want to help me out here, but since the phone runs Android, Chromecast should be good to go. From what I've read, it essentially does the same as our BB10s mirroring from your phone to the TV. I tried doing a little research, but it seems a bit more complicated than how it is on BB10.

My old Android (before BB10) actually had the same micro-HDMI cable as my Z10 and Z30. I'm hoping the Priv will at least have this or Slimport that the Passport has. It's just an extra adapter compared to the one micro-HDMI cable I used to use on the Z10 and Z30. Works well though on the Passport and you can charge the phone at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:26 AM
    I believe with Android that there are a few ways to mirror your device to your television, but I'm not all that familiar and pretty sure you'd need a newer TV. The HDMI out on BB10 has helped me greatly at work with groups, etc.

Someone who knows a bit more about Chromecast might want to help me out here, but since the phone runs Android, Chromecast should be good to go. From what I've read, it essentially does the same as our BB10s mirroring from your phone to the TV. I tried doing a little research, but it seems a bit more complicated than how it is on BB10.

My old Android (before BB10) actually had the same micro-HDMI cable as my Z10 and Z30. I'm hoping the Priv will at least have this or Slimport that the Passport has. It's just an extra adapter compared to the one micro-HDMI cable I used to use on the Z10 and Z30. Works well though on the Passport and you can charge the phone at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    Chromecast is very good to mirror video applications on your TV, it uses your home Wifi,and is a very good product, costs only like U$29.99
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-21-15 08:40 AM
    Chromecast is very good to mirror video applications on your TV, it uses your home Wifi,and is a very good product, costs only like U$29.99
    Thanks! That's pretty much what I saw when looking it up. Do you think they'll include a micro-HDMI or Slimport in the Priv hardware?

Curious for those that use it on older TVs, hotels, or in my case for work purposes. Not sure I'd be able to use Chromecast @ work as there's no Wifi and not a newer TV.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:48 AM
    It uses a HDMI connection, not sure about the micro HDMI part, and it needs to connect to some net, because they transfer the data wireless, the Chromecast is plugged into the TV HDMI slot, and you mirror the phone wherever you are from the apps that are Chromecast friendly.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-21-15 08:55 AM
    Thanks for your help guys. Chromecast sounds good. It'd be even better if it used WiFi direct as that would eliminate the need to be connected to the Internet.

10-21-15 09:30 AM
    Thanks for your help guys. Chromecast sounds good. It'd be even better if it used WiFi direct as that would eliminate the need to be connected to the Internet.

Chromecast updates include mirroring and casting without Wi-Fi | Greenbot I think the new generation chromecast 2 (out a couple of weeks ago) now allows this
    10-21-15 10:00 AM
    So we have a thread entitled "BlackBerry Priv specs released", and we spend about 8 pages discussing the front camera. Check.

I have a variety of reservations about this device that mostly revolve around the OS and what if anything BlackBerry has done to address the terrible privacy and security problems the Android platform in general has. But hardware specs are the least of BlackBerry's concern here. The Priv is probably the most competitive device that BlackBerry has announced in a long time from a hardware standpoint, based on the official and non-official sources we have available to us at this point.
    Last edited by Omnitech; 10-21-15 at 10:54 AM.
    00stryder and crackbb10 like this.
    10-21-15 10:41 AM
    The latest photo camera from sony (the a7S), it's the top of the range and has a 12mp sensor... Cameras studio oriented are the ones (Like Canon 5DSR, Hassleblad, phase-One) that tend to pack higher megapixel count because they are going to be used using strobes anyway, so they can extract maximum detail. But for everyday use, too many megapixels is actually worse, because they increase noise and reduce Dynamic range.

That's why the top of the reange nikon and Canon that are used to shoot outside, like photojournalism or sports, only use 16-18mp sensors. and those are 5000$ cameras.

Not really the main reason. The top pro full-frame DSLRs (there are basically 2 of them of significance right now: Nikon D4s and Canon EOS 1Dx) have somewhat-smaller-than-max resolution sensors mostly because the requirements of "reportage" photography are not primarily highest-possible resolution but speed, flexibility, low-light sensitivity and ruggedness. At the magnification that most of those photos will be viewed the extra resolution is pointless, whereas it causes more challenges during the shooting and workflow part of the process, slowing the whole process down among other things.

Then again the name priv was shockingly terrible and most thought it was a joke or a ploy to find who was leaking info... until it wasn't a joke. My sister moved on simply because of the name. The general consumer market is fickle. How they destroyed the name, I have no idea. Still can't get over that one.

You know I joked about the name too, but honestly I'm not sure it's any worse than how Apple's iMaxiPad sounded was when it was first released.

Apple has some great marketing. They've been able to get away with releasing lower MP cameras (along with other lower specs) because they have a million commercials telling you how great their camera is.

Well the funny thing about that is - as much as I am sympathetic to the power of marketing argument - The iPhone camera really is quite good. And I'm not talking about megapixels. Apple has always done a very good job with the imaging performance of their products, and the iPhone is no exception to that. It's a priority of theirs. Never has been a priority for BlackBerry, much to my chagrin. (Which is a key reason I never bought the last flagship BBOS BlackBerry available on my carrier: it had a lousy camera with no autofocus. Huh??)

That said, I really don't personally need a 300 MP front camera on my smartphone.

Back to the camera topic... curious if anyone knows if the iPhone's front camera actually has a flash or if it's just a gimmick where the screen "flashes"?
    There is no dedicated "flash", they simply illuminate the display very brightly during photo capture.
    10-21-15 10:51 AM
    just because 2MP front facing camera, some people are not interested with this phone.
    EXACTLY! It's all about numbers for the majority of people, because most people don't understand that pixel count doesn't necessarily equal image quality. For so many people, all they want is that their duck face selfie looks good. And to them more pixel count will mean better duck face selfies.

The failing in all of this..... BlackBerry should know this and put in better specs for better sales. But i bet, since BlackBerry doesn't want to sell consumer phones, they dropped the camera specs because they know most people using phones for business aren't taking duck face selfies at staff meetings.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 10:57 AM
    Not really the main reason. The top pro full-frame DSLRs (there are basically 2 of them of significance right now: Nikon D4s and Canon EOS 1Dx) have somewhat-smaller-than-max resolution sensors mostly because the requirements of "reportage" photography are not primarily highest-possible resolution but speed, flexibility, low-light sensitivity and ruggedness. At the magnification that most of those photos will be viewed the extra resolution is pointless, whereas it causes more challenges during the shooting and workflow part of the process, slowing the whole process down among other things.

I think we are share the same point. of course D4s and 1DX are about speed and give you maximum quality with the available light, wich if you are paparazzi, sometimes is not a lot, or you're using telephoto lenses with teleconverters that will cut a lot of available light. Bigger pixels will result in lower noise, therefore greater high ISO performance, we agree on that.

In the oposite, I refered the 5DSR, Hassleblad and Phase-one with insane megapixel count, they tend to not be very good in low light, because they are used most of the time in studio work with Base ISO's, or doing long exposure in Landscape photography, where they have time to take the picture, and where maximum quality is important to print on billboards or high res magazine pages.
    10-21-15 11:11 AM
    I think we are share the same point. of course D4s and 1DX are about speed and give you maximum quality with the available light, wich if you are paparazzi, sometimes is not a lot, or you're using telephoto lenses with teleconverters that will cut a lot of available light. Bigger pixels will result in lower noise, therefore greater high ISO performance, we agree on that.

In the oposite, I refered the 5DSR, Hassleblad and Phase-one with insane megapixel count, they tend to not be very good in low light, because they are used most of the time in studio work with Base ISO's, or doing long exposure in Landscape photography, where they have time to take the picture, and where maximum quality is important to print on billboards or high res magazine pages.

Once again, I don't think the high-MP cameras are that way because they are "used in good light", they are that way simply because of the limitations of the technology of high-MP sensors at this moment in time. People are always pushing for better resolution, and many are willing to accept the tradeoffs to get it. (Price, light-sensitivity, file sizes, etc.) Though light-sensitivity of today's 36MP "full frame" sensors is probably equal or better than the state of the art in lower-res (eg 12MP) FF sensors from 2007.

Re: the "medium format" sensors - I think the main issue there are that the technology moves slower for those sensors because the quantities produced do not lend themselves to investment in technology/fabrication upgrades at the pace of the "mass market" sensors, as they would never recover the capital investment at those production quantities. (And I use the term "medium format" in quotes, because most of those "medium format" sensors these days are barely 6x4.5cm in size, much less the traditional "medium format" film photography frame size of 6x6 or 6x7 cm.)
    10-21-15 12:01 PM
    Chromecast updates include mirroring and casting without Wi-Fi | Greenbot I think the new generation chromecast 2 (out a couple of weeks ago) now allows this
    Excellent, thanks for that.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    10-21-15 12:03 PM
    Number of supported radio bands LTE/UMTS/CDMA is what counts! Not the number of pixels.
    Radio bands is one of major features. Number of pixels - the minors.
    What will many pixels help if I can't use cellular connection to get connected with world!
    Latest iPhone offers for price in region of rumored Priv prices nice number of LTE radio bands,
    at record level. As much a I dislike Apple products Priv has for me to be at same level if it wants
    to be competitive.
    10-21-15 12:22 PM
    Once again, I don't think the high-MP cameras are that way because they are "used in good light", they are that way simply because of the limitations of the technology of high-MP sensors at this moment in time. People are always pushing for better resolution, and many are willing to accept the tradeoffs to get it. (Price, light-sensitivity, file sizes, etc.) Though light-sensitivity of today's 36MP "full frame" sensors is probably equal or better than the state of the art in lower-res (eg 12MP) FF sensors from 2007.

Re: the "medium format" sensors - I think the main issue there are that the technology moves slower for those sensors because the quantities produced do not lend themselves to investment in technology/fabrication upgrades at the pace of the "mass market" sensors, as they would never recover the capital investment at those production quantities. (And I use the term "medium format" in quotes, because most of those "medium format" sensors these days are barely 6x4.5cm in size, much less the traditional "medium format" film photography frame size of 6x6 or 6x7 cm.)
    I didnt want to say that high-MP cameras were made specificly for that kind of usage, I was meant to say that due to the technical advantages and dificulties of high-MP sensors, those cameras tend to be pushed to those kind of environments. In a ideal world where Hi-MP sensors get the same low light, and buffer performance, probably lower MP sensor would get obsolete.
    10-21-15 12:45 PM
233 ... 78910