That's funny that still stand by your statement when I showed you were wrong...

I've calculated the Average for the list I presented you, and including the Note5 Active with 4100, the average is at 3097mah. The priv has 3410mah, it's well above average, it's a fact. To be above average you don't have to be at the top

You were incorrect about the 6P removable battery, and you're incorrect again in the "battery averages". If you want to stand with the sky being red, be pleased to stand, if that leaves your pride intact
    I see you don't understand what I said.
    The Priv is an average flagship at best.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 11:33 AM
    Straw man argument.

I believe it's fair. Let's also not ignore the other features that I mentioned (quick charging, QHD display etc). The s6 active also is a 32GB phone like the Priv. Should we not look at the 6P either because it's the P version....?

Poetry in Motion
    Doesn't the 6P have a 12 megapixel primary camera? When was that thing made, 2012? Lol
    Wait, no expandable memory either??? Garbage...
    This arguing over every detail has really turned silly here, but I do have to admit I'm somewhat entertained by the ridiculousness of it. :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:35 AM
    Is it fair to compare any device to the "active" line of Samsung devices? Not even Sammy's own flagship devices measure up to them in terms of battery size. Their designed specifically for that and ruggedness.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure my friend's S6 Active is on par spec wise with the S6 and S6 Edge. His cameras are amazing and the device runs well, has a nice battery, and is basically waterproof/dust+dirtproof. With the S6, Samsung offers multiple choices to customers.

Some may want a really thin, curved screen like on the Edge while others would rather take the bigger battery and a bit of bulk with the waterproofing, etc. How is it unfair to compare a device to the S6 Active? Why dismiss the entire Active line of devices. Doesn't make sense to me. With that logic, BlackBerry has zero competition since they designed their Android for enhanced privacy with a physical keyboard.

My friend has one now (S6 Active) and was considering the Priv as a change from Samsung. He was willing to sacrifice the water/dirt/dust proofing and give BlackBerry a shot since the battery was on par, but the camera is too much of a downgrade now. At least on paper. He was fine with 18/5 and I'm hoping that's what it comes with, but even if it does the photos still may not be as good as his S6.

It does look like BlackBerry spent some time on the rear camera and he was aware of that. This is why I'm kinda shocked at the front camera after the rear camera has been showcased many times. Still hoping it's a decent camera with 5MP. It's still unconfirmed until it is.

Then again the name priv was shockingly terrible and most thought it was a joke or a ploy to find who was leaking info... until it wasn't a joke. My sister moved on simply because of the name. The general consumer market is fickle. How they destroyed the name, I have no idea. Still can't get over that one.

My friend I'm referring to saw it on the YouTube vid and asked, "they named it preeve?". Told him it's actually pronounced priv and is short for privacy. Never thought of using a hard EE when saying priv, but just another case of "that's a weird name" until I explained why it is named Priv.

Still don't get using a name in the position BlackBerry is in with not enough funds to truly market the word so people understand it and then use a few more billion to market the device. Not going to happen. Chen has to keep COH at 2.5B. Another reason why the ipad was a bad name doesn't hold. Apple spent the money to sell it and now it's a household name.

Posted via CB10
    BBRYed likes this.
    10-19-15 11:35 AM
    You were missing my point. The fact that my mom and sister agreed that the Passport's camera is better than the iPhone she just got because of the MP was just an example of how the general public thinks. I'm aware you can get great shots from a 2MP camera... but from a 2MP front camera on a BlackBerry phone, I'm not so sure.

Really not that important to me though. My friend and his dad who were both considering getting the BlackBerry Slider have the S6 Active and S6 Edge so it's no improvement from what they already have. Already said that was my bad for making this out to be a next generation flagship. It's competitive with what's out now and that's fine. They already have their flagship devices.

I am still thoroughly enjoying my Passport. As for my sister wanting an iPhone, it was a HUGE PITA to get her off of iOS onto a Z10 then Z30. She loved the Z30. The screen has been cracked for over a month now and she had planned on waiting until November to upgrade to the Slider knowing it would be Android and all that from me. All she uses is text, call, browser, and the only apps are BBM and Instagram. She actually preferred igrann over the regular instagram app which I thought was interesting (the free version).

When the name leaked she thought I said BlackBerry Perv lol so we all joked about it then when it was official she laughed and just said she couldn't do it. Her husband is a huge Apple fanboy though and has been trying to get her on an iPhone since the Z10, but she's a big girl and can make her own decisions. She has already complained that the battery sucks compared to her Z30, but the overall experience of the iPhone has been good. I agree that it's stupid to completely dismiss a device because of the name, but companies spend a lot of money to get this right.

I have no idea what she thought of the ipad when it was released. She doesn't own one. Also, the name becomes irrelevant when you can afford to market it as well as market the device (Apple). I don't think BlackBerry has that luxury. If the Priv becomes a household name, like the ipad did, I don't think it would matter. We'll see; she just got the iPhone last week. Where do you expect any general consumer hanging onto a Z30 waiting for an upgrade to go?

If there was an updated BB10 out she'd have had it. She just wanted an all touch and was willing to just use the Slider closed and wait, hated the name, knows it won't be like an upgraded Z30 so moved on to another flagship slab that she's familiar with.

Oh... and for Apple's crappy camera MP counts, they advertise the hell out of how great the cameras and video are. They have billions to throw at the iPhone and they should as it's what, like 70% of their revenue?
    It's pretty well understood how the general public thinks about MP, as that's what they're advertised with. However, the final image quality is what will ultimately matter to people. Agreed, the PRIV's front camera probably won't have the quality though, as it was probably spec'ed for BBM Video/Meetings.

I'm not sure why your friend and his dad would be upgrading already when they have the latest flagships... unless the front camera wasn't as important to them as... a physical keyboard, expandable storage, "BlackBerry Experience" (Hub, etc.).

Um... so you've confirmed that she wanted an iPhone, mainly because her husband is an advocate of it, just as you are an advocate for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry doesn't care about the general consumer. Z30 users can upgrade to the PRIV. The front cam on the Z30 and PRIV are both 2 MP. Other than that, the PRIV hardware specs are better than the Z30. We'll see how the software fluidity will compare. If there was a BB10 variant, it would be a no-brainer for slab BB10 users, but as it is, BB10 users are less than 1% of the market and BlackBerry can't afford to cater to the even smaller percentage less than 1% that want a high-end full slab BB10 device. (Remember, BB10 users are Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Leap, Classic and Passport. Z10 and Z30 might go to high-end full slab, but will Z3 and Leap be able to? Price is a consideration.)

Apple advertises their cameras and their cameras deliver. Head-to-head test have shown that they do have good cameras, even when MP is lower. Only recently have head-to-head test shown that everyone else has caught up or surpassed (with the exception being Nokia cameras, ala PureView, that have always bested iPhone cameras).
    10-19-15 11:40 AM
    Doesn't the 6P have a 12 megapixel primary camera? When was that thing made, 2012? Lol
    Wait, no expandable memory either??? Garbage...
    This arguing over every detail has really turned silly here, but I do have to admit I'm somewhat entertained by the ridiculousness of it. :-)

Posted via CB10
    Not too shabby.

http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/6...oogle-nexus-6p

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 11:43 AM
    Is it true that Priv will cost close to $900 based on this publication attached below?

The PRIV's large screen and slide-out keyboard are sure to be quaint novelties for BlackBerry fans, but with a nearly $900 SIM-free price tag, or $45 a month after paying a more than $68 up-front fee, how many iPhone or other smartphone owners will make the switch? BlackBerry's New Smartphone a Spendy Proposition (BBRY)
    10-19-15 11:49 AM
    No, it's not too shabby. Funny thing is, when I compare the specs side by side with the Priv, they are extremely similar. Almost same battery, display, processor, but the 6P has a nice "selfie" cam, but smaller primary camera and no SD slot for cheap memory expansion. Some act like the 6P specs are great, and the Priv is mid range. It's funny.
    I'd take expandable memory and a better main camera over a bigger "selfie" cam.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:52 AM
    Straw man argument.

I believe it's fair. Let's also not ignore the other features that I mentioned (quick charging, QHD display etc). The s6 active also is a 32GB phone like the Priv. Should we not look at the 6P either because it's the P version....?

Poetry in Motion
    Not what I was arguing at all, so I'm not entirely sure if you were suggesting I was using a straw man argument, or titling your response.

But what I meant is that yes, the Active is comparable to the Priv in many ways, but you again suggested that the Priv was average at best while comparing it to a line of devices clearly designed to surpass even its own brethren devices in the same release cycle. I don't mean to say that the Priv isn't in the same class, but that's like arguing the Priv has a better pkb than the Edge with Samsung's keyboard case... Obviously the Edge isn't designed primarily for tactile keystroke response so to compare it to the Priv in this light would be unfair. I'm not defending the Priv so much as I am questioning your comment about a 3,410 mAh battery being "average" in today's market, especially since we really have no clue about the Priv's battery life yet.

How is it unfair to compare a device to the S6 Active? Why dismiss the entire Active line of devices. Doesn't make sense to me. With that logic, BlackBerry has zero competition since they designed their Android for enhanced privacy with a physical keyboard.
    See my response above.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:05 PM
    Photo quality has very little to do with MP's, noise is about sensor pixel SIZE and processing is about the software. Point in fact, an equal size 6mp sensor will have roughly 2x larger pixels than a 12mp sensor and have much lower noise. 18mp on a pin head size sensor is not an upgrade. Years ago I had a Nikon D40 DSLR, 6 mp, I guarantee the raw image off the sensor more than smokes any tiny sensor phone camera of today.
    I would actually much prefer if they did limit phone cams to 5 or 6 mp, they would have much less noise.

Megapixel Myth | Photography Basics
    10-19-15 12:06 PM
    Not what I was arguing at all, so I'm not entirely sure if you were suggesting I was using a straw man argument, or titling your response.

But what I meant is that yes, the Active is comparable to the Priv in many ways, but you again suggested that the Priv was average at best while comparing it to a line of devices clearly designed to surpass even its own brethren devices in the same release cycle. I don't mean to say that the Priv isn't in the same class, but that's like arguing the Priv has a better pkb than the Edge with Samsung's keyboard case... Obviously the Edge isn't designed primarily for tactile keystroke response so to compare it to the Priv in this light would be unfair. I'm not defending the Priv so much as I am questioning your comment about a 3,410 mAh battery being "average" in today's market, especially since we really have no clue about the Priv's battery life yet.

See my response above.

Posted via CB10
    I said the Priv is average at best as a flagship phone.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 12:48 PM
    Yeah, the biggest issue is light-gathering; the smaller the pixel the less light it can gather. That's a problem in a small package and to compensate the ISO has to go up (noise) or the shutter speed has to come down (motion blur.)
    10-19-15 12:49 PM
    I see you don't understand what I said.
    The Priv is an average flagship at best.

Poetry in Motion
    Now you're twisting the story in your favour... We were discussing battery size, not the phone in general... Otherwise you don't know how to have a conversation, wich is a much bigger problem..
    10-19-15 12:55 PM
    Attachment 376484

You meant the white bar? I think we have seen that function in 'introducing priv' video (btw the video is private now lol)
    It's not the wallpaper. Here is the wallpaper being used on my phone. No white bars whatsoever.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Priv specs released-1445277324897.jpg  
    00stryder likes this.
    10-19-15 12:55 PM
    It's not the wallpaper. Here is the wallpaper being used on my phone. No white bars whatsoever.
    Lol its BlackBerry priv..my friend hands on with it
    10-19-15 12:57 PM
    Now you're twisting the story in your favour... We were discussing battery size, not the phone in general... Otherwise you don't know how to have a conversation, wich is a much bigger problem..
    No twisting. You're a narcissistic aggressive sensitive poster. Carry on.

Poetry in Motion
    WT44 likes this.
    10-19-15 01:00 PM
    No twisting. You're a narcissistic aggressive sensitive poster. Carry on.

Poetry in Motion
    "Narciso" is actually my middle name, so you're right for once...
    10-19-15 01:02 PM
    It's pretty well understood how the general public thinks about MP, as that's what they're advertised with. However, the final image quality is what will ultimately matter to people. Agreed, the PRIV's front camera probably won't have the quality though, as it was probably spec'ed for BBM Video/Meetings.

I'm not sure why your friend and his dad would be upgrading already when they have the latest flagships... unless the front camera wasn't as important to them as... a physical keyboard, expandable storage, "BlackBerry Experience" (Hub, etc.).

Um... so you've confirmed that she wanted an iPhone, mainly because her husband is an advocate of it, just as you are an advocate for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry doesn't care about the general consumer. Z30 users can upgrade to the PRIV. The front cam on the Z30 and PRIV are both 2 MP. Other than that, the PRIV hardware specs are better than the Z30. We'll see how the software fluidity will compare. If there was a BB10 variant, it would be a no-brainer for slab BB10 users, but as it is, BB10 users are less than 1% of the market and BlackBerry can't afford to cater to the even smaller percentage less than 1% that want a high-end full slab BB10 device. (Remember, BB10 users are Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3, Leap, Classic and Passport. Z10 and Z30 might go to high-end full slab, but will Z3 and Leap be able to? Price is a consideration.)

Apple advertises their cameras and their cameras deliver. Head-to-head test have shown that they do have good cameras, even when MP is lower. Only recently have head-to-head test shown that everyone else has caught up or surpassed (with the exception being Nokia cameras, ala PureView, that have always bested iPhone cameras).
    Thanks for contributing. That's all I was basically saying was how the general public thinks and how they can be fickle as well based on little things like the name of a new device. I understand you can get great pictures with less MP even on a phone as the iPhone has always scored high with less. They are great at marketing that people don't even question the MP. My sister didn't. Hence me saying how she conceded to my mom that the Passport has better picture quality.

As for my sister, her Z30 had a cracked screen for at least a month. I tried to replace it but the screen was black (an old screen that was broke before) and asked if she wanted to wait until November for the BlackBerry device and use the Z30 with the cracked screen and she was fine with it. She doesn't give a crap at all what people think even rocking a cracked BlackBerry Z30 lol. She exudes confidence.

Anyway, yes her husband was pissed when I got her off of iOS onto the BlackBerry Z10. She was only willing because back then she said she used to love her old BlackBerry. Anyway, she really loved the battery life (Z30), gestures, and picture password. She moved to the Z30 probably a year later. Between BlackBerry going Android (I told her the phone would have the Hub) she was OK with waiting.

I shouldn't have mentioned anything about the name when it leaked because it turned into a huge family joke about the BlackBerry Perv lol. Really had 0% confidence that this would become official. So between a new platform and a crap name she ended up going back to the iPhone. I'm sure her husband is happy, but I'll def be flaunting the device around her under a secret name haha.

You seem to infer that she always wanted an excuse to go back to the iPhone which is clearly not the case. She moved from the Z10 to Z30 and waited for some more information on the Slider and decided against it. Remember we were discussing hypervisors and such and didn't really know up until recently. Rather than going for another Android manufacturer and learn a new platform, why wouldn't she just get whatever the latest is from Apple? She's already familiar with iOS.

I just think you are judging her wrong saying oh she was just looking for an excuse to get the iPhone. She actually doesn't like Apple very much to be honest and thinks her husband is a little nuts for caring that much. Had nothing to do with the phone being a BlackBerry, but I can't say much about her husband as I advocate for BlackBerry so I'm probably worse than he is on that.

Trust me, as a stockholder I understand why we are now down to one Android handset to dictate the division. I've listened to every BlackBerry Earnings Call and know Chen had to continue to push BB10 half heartedly until software sales picked up and considering handsets are about 40% of BlackBerry revenue, the stock would be slaughtered if he just cut that. It had to be milked until this device was released. Unfortunately for Chen, software just didn't pick up as fast as his original estimates which is why the stock is where it is, but climbing slowly. If it was BB10 and called Vault she'd have waited for it. Hell, if it was Android and called Vault she'd have waited for it. (just a random name some poster suggested related to security)

Yes, the Z30 has a 2MP front camera, but when you upgrade you're expecting more than what has been out for years. So that may have been another issue. She did say she went for the iPhone because she truly hated the name as it does sound like perv and because it takes great photos. On the other hand, I don't think she really uses the front camera except for BBM video (used to) so it might not have been an issue. The rear camera, I'm hoping, should be exceptional. I don't know, I'm not her lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 02:44 PM
    Oh and as for my friend with the S6 Active and his dad with the S6 Edge, they are fortunate enough to jump phones when they please and were keeping an eye on the Priv. If it was clearly better than what they have now, they'd have both got it.

They see me with my Passport banging out messages without looking and swiping and became intrigued with the Priv because it was a BlackBerry and something different from all the Samsung devices they've been jumping around with. They are completely invested in the Android ecosystem so being Android was the #1 selling point.

Again, I talked it up as if it would have been a clean sweep with higher specs than the Samsung line as well as a clear update path to Android M (which I don't trust anymore anyway). Since it is not a next generation flagship as I made it out to be, there is no reason to downgrade an important feature for them. I highly doubt the 2MP front camera on the Priv will be better than the S6 front camera.

As I wrote before, all of his front photos from our cruise outdid mine by miles (Passport). Guess we'll wait and see on the final results, but what the Priv is, is a current generation flagship and there's nothing wrong with that. I guess one could argue that it would have been nice to beat the other players out to market, but BlackBerry doesn't need many sales for this to be a success in their minds anyway.

At least it'll be out for the holidays and competitive with current flagships give or take a feature here or there.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 02:56 PM
    Attachment 376484

You meant the white bar? I think we have seen that function in 'introducing priv' video (btw the video is private now lol)
    Yep that's the one. I don't have I've noticed it in action before.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 03:07 PM
    "Narciso" is actually my middle name, so you're right for once...
    LMAO... serious? That's awesome lol. Likely being sarcastic, but if not I'm jealous. I'm changing my middle name and stealing that one!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 04:11 PM
    LMAO... serious? That's awesome lol. Likely being sarcastic, but if not I'm jealous. I'm changing my middle name and stealing that one!

Posted via CB10
    My name is Jo�o Narciso Dias Oliveira. I'm actually not a big fan of it to be honest, maybe it's the accent of my native language
    10-19-15 04:13 PM
    Sorry edited the post

Posted via CB10
    Source link isn't there as far as I can tell.

No mention of USB 2.0 or 3.0? These don't seem like the detailed specs we usually get from the BB Store.
    10-19-15 04:21 PM
    Lol its BlackBerry priv..my friend hands on with it
    I think he was replying to me, lol

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 04:27 PM
    this picture

He could have shaved, put a shirt on he didn't sleep in and straighten out his hair and glasses.
    10-19-15 04:29 PM
    My name is Jo�o Narciso Dias Oliveira. I'm actually not a big fan of it to be honest, maybe it's the accent of my native language
    Thumbs up! Not sure what your native language is or how to even pronounce your first name, but I'd go by Narciso :-)

Going off-topic a little here lol. My name is basic as basic gets though.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 05:09 PM
233 ... 56789 ...