I just want to chime in. Even with a 2mp front camera, the quality of the pics still might end up looking good. Hopefully they talk about it once the phone is reviewed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-19-15 02:12 AM
    Face it. Your sister wants an iPhone and the name PRIV was just an excuse. She didn't have anything funny to say about iPad when that came out? The rest of the world did.

For cameras, optics is what matters. A 2 MP sensor paired with excellent optics will give you much better images than something with 5 MP and crappy optics. I've seen a direct comparison first hand. I had a brand new, at the time, Canon point-and-shoot with 5 MP. My friend had a 2 MP DSLR. His concert photos were amazing compared to mine. His looked like you were right up on stage with the band.

One thing more MP does help with is allowing more flexibility with cropping, and for selfies, that's pointless unless you're cropping down to look at eyeballs or something. If the optics for the 2 MP is great, then that's what will matter, but it doesn't look like it or better processing needs to be done, based on the posted sample.

Up until a month ago, iPhone's had 1.2 MP front and 8 MP back, both lower resolution than Android flagship phones. It did not hurt sales. The PRIV's niche in the Android market is the sliding keyboard, privacy "promise", and perhaps quick security fixes. If BlackBerry manages to push out updates faster and can guarantee longer updates than two years, they would already be ahead of other manufacturers.
    You were missing my point. The fact that my mom and sister agreed that the Passport's camera is better than the iPhone she just got because of the MP was just an example of how the general public thinks. I'm aware you can get great shots from a 2MP camera... but from a 2MP front camera on a BlackBerry phone, I'm not so sure.

Really not that important to me though. My friend and his dad who were both considering getting the BlackBerry Slider have the S6 Active and S6 Edge so it's no improvement from what they already have. Already said that was my bad for making this out to be a next generation flagship. It's competitive with what's out now and that's fine. They already have their flagship devices.

I am still thoroughly enjoying my Passport. As for my sister wanting an iPhone, it was a HUGE PITA to get her off of iOS onto a Z10 then Z30. She loved the Z30. The screen has been cracked for over a month now and she had planned on waiting until November to upgrade to the Slider knowing it would be Android and all that from me. All she uses is text, call, browser, and the only apps are BBM and Instagram. She actually preferred igrann over the regular instagram app which I thought was interesting (the free version).

When the name leaked she thought I said BlackBerry Perv lol so we all joked about it then when it was official she laughed and just said she couldn't do it. Her husband is a huge Apple fanboy though and has been trying to get her on an iPhone since the Z10, but she's a big girl and can make her own decisions. She has already complained that the battery sucks compared to her Z30, but the overall experience of the iPhone has been good. I agree that it's stupid to completely dismiss a device because of the name, but companies spend a lot of money to get this right.

I have no idea what she thought of the ipad when it was released. She doesn't own one. Also, the name becomes irrelevant when you can afford to market it as well as market the device (Apple). I don't think BlackBerry has that luxury. If the Priv becomes a household name, like the ipad did, I don't think it would matter. We'll see; she just got the iPhone last week. Where do you expect any general consumer hanging onto a Z30 waiting for an upgrade to go?

If there was an updated BB10 out she'd have had it. She just wanted an all touch and was willing to just use the Slider closed and wait, hated the name, knows it won't be like an upgraded Z30 so moved on to another flagship slab that she's familiar with.

Oh... and for Apple's crappy camera MP counts, they advertise the hell out of how great the cameras and video are. They have billions to throw at the iPhone and they should as it's what, like 70% of their revenue?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 08:00 AM
    I just want to chime in. Even with a 2mp front camera, the quality of the pics still might end up looking good. Hopefully they talk about it once the phone is reviewed

We need some "real" reviews from a verity of sources and hopefully some benchmarking scores.

As for the Camera... I doubt DxO Mark will bother with the PRIV, but maybe someone like dpreview will give us a review of the camera?
    10-19-15 08:02 AM
    This is thread uninformed and repetitive and has come way off topic in regards to everything else that the PRIV is said to pack. It just goes to show how small minded we all are - talk about a 1st world problem...
    10-19-15 08:28 AM
    You bought a Leap.. A low end budget bb10 device.. And you don't have the cash. So even if you wanted the Priv, you can't afford it, got it.

Yeah...sorry not all of us have money to throw around. Both phones basically perform the same functions. I don't feel the need to spend $600-800 dollars to prove that.

Sorry that your disdain for my having bought "a low end budget BB10 device" is soo upsetting to you! Ewwww poor people! Yeah...

Good that you "got it"...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Last edited by adonesc; 10-19-15 at 08:46 AM.
    10-19-15 08:36 AM
    Good for you. Bb10 isn't BlackBerry. And calling things names like a 10 year old doesn't give your posts any decent credibility.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah and you scoffing at things and looking down at people lends soo much more credibility to yours. Way to go...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    10-19-15 08:41 AM
    Very hopeful.....

I'm sure you are really aware that in the West we use 'Arabic' Numerals
    Yes I am. But if go down that route, then props must be given to India as well...
    10-19-15 10:07 AM
    10-19-15 10:39 AM
    That would be great, but I don't see any phone at any price comign out with every single feature that people want. The note 5 for example has a medium sized battery of 3000mah and no expandable storage. The Nexus 6p doesn't seem to have anything groundbreaking either... That's why I think the priv not having a great selfie camera is not such a huge error. I still believe that there are more users that want a good battery than a good selfie camera. Because you can't just put another battery, but at least you can take a good selfie with the rear camera (better than the 5mp one)
    The S6 active and 6P have larger batteries. Hell the Passport has a larger battery.

6P has removable 3450mah
    S6 Active has a 3500 mah (released in June). It's fast charging too.
    Galaxy Note 5 Active will have a 4100 mah (Nov release)

No Marshmallow (which increases battery life), no quick charging, non removable, QHD display with no OLED that eats battery.

Your argument is thin my friend. The Priv is average at best. BlackBerry has been working on the Priv for two years too.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 10:44 AM
    6P isn't removable.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-19-15 10:47 AM
    So basically, we don't know for sure until the darn thing is officially announced/launched/reviewed, lol. But overall not a bad quick article on what we do know/speculate. Thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 10:54 AM
    I personally messaged Carphone Warehouse for confirmation and they said it was 2 mp.
    10-19-15 10:57 AM
    Galaxy note 5 has a battery capacity of 3,020mAh
    10-19-15 10:58 AM
    6P isn't removable.
    My mistake. Thank you.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 10:59 AM
    Also, you know how we all most of us got excited when we saw that thin bar on the far right side of the screen to suggest edge notifications like Sammy's Edge device? Well, I'm still hoping for it, but when I went back and looked at every video and pic that has it, I noticed that it was the same color in the exact same position every time, and unless they're purposely ignoring it (or maybe only set up one dummy contact to swipe from?) then I'm worried that it may just be part of the background for now. But again, who knows for sure, took BlackBerry forever to show the Hub and we still haven't seen how DREW works.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:00 AM
    I personally messaged Carphone Warehouse for confirmation and they said it was 2 mp.
    Again, we won't know for sure until it's officially released. Not doubting what you were told, but at this point none of us can actually prove it.

Well, except for Bla1ze...

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:01 AM
    Galaxy note 5 has a battery capacity of 3,020mAh
    Mentioned the the Active version that hasn't been released yet.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 11:01 AM
    The S6 active and 6P have larger batteries. Hell the Passport has a larger battery.

6P has removable 3450mah
    S6 Active has a 3500 mah (released in June). It's fast charging too.
    Galaxy Note 5 Active will have a 4100 mah (Nov release)

No Marshmallow (which increases battery life), no quick charging, non removable, QHD display with no OLED that eats battery.

Your argument is thin my friend. The Priv is average at best. BlackBerry has been working on the Priv for two years too.

Poetry in Motion
    Your "bigger", is less than 5% bigger for the first 2 phones, not really relevant IMO.

The battery on the 6P is NON-REMOVABLE...

did you bother do a compreensive research before posting?
    here's a compreensive list of the most popular high end devices... Want to do the maths?
    Blackberry PRIV - 3410 mAh
    Iphone 6 Plus - 2915 mAh
    LG V10 - 3000 mAh
    LG G4 - 3000 mAh
    Note 5 - 3000 mAh
    S6 Edge - 2700 mAh
    S6 "normal" - 2650 mAh
    S6 Active - 3500 mAh
    HTC One M9 - 2840 mAh
    Nexus 6P - 3450 mah
    OnePlus - 3300 mAh
    Sony Xperia Z5 - 2900 mAh
    Moto X Style - 3000mAh
    Huawei Mate S - 2700 mAh
    The Priv is ABOVE average BY FAR!
    my argument is thin? your argument has misinformation...
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-19-15 11:02 AM
    Also, you know how we all most of us got excited when we saw that thin bar on the far right side of the screen to suggest edge notifications like Sammy's Edge device? Well, I'm still hoping for it, but when I went back and looked at every video and pic that has it, I noticed that it was the same color in the exact same position every time, and unless they're purposely ignoring it (or maybe only set up one dummy contact to swipe from?) then I'm worried that it may just be part of the background for now. But again, who knows for sure, took BlackBerry forever to show the Hub and we still haven't seen how DREW works.

Posted via CB10

BlackBerry Priv specs released-img_20151016_163004.jpg

You meant the white bar? I think we have seen that function in 'introducing priv' video (btw the video is private now lol)
    10-19-15 11:04 AM
    Your "bigger", is less than 5% bigger for the first 2 phones, not really relevant IMO.

here's a compreensive list of the most popular high end devices... Want to do the maths?

here's a compreensive list of the most popular high end devices... The Priv is ABOVE average..

I admitted I was incorrect on the removable battery on the 6P.

I stand by my statement: It's average at best. I listed the reasons why. You were making an argument for battery vs camera.

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 11:06 AM
    Mentioned the the Active version that hasn't been released yet.

Poetry in Motion
    Is it fair to compare any device to the "active" line of Samsung devices? Not even Sammy's own flagship devices measure up to them in terms of battery size. Their designed specifically for that and ruggedness.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:07 AM
    I admitted I was incorrect on the removable battery on the 6P.

I stand by my statement: It's average at best. I listed the reasons why. You were making an argument for battery vs camera.

Poetry in Motion
    That's funny that still stand by your statement when I showed you were wrong...

I've calculated the Average for the list I presented you, and including the Note5 Active with 4100, the average is at 3097mah. The priv has 3410mah, it's well above average, it's a fact. To be above average you don't have to be at the top

You were incorrect about the 6P removable battery, and you're incorrect again in the "battery averages". If you want to stand with the sky being red, be pleased to stand, if that leaves your pride intact
    10-19-15 11:14 AM

did you bother do a compreensive research before posting?

The Priv is ABOVE average BY FAR!
    Yep, this phone's battery is pretty remarkable. It has a bigger battery than the Note 5 has and the Note has a much bigger screen. Comparing it to phones with the same form factor, the Priv has a much bigger battery.

Another point about Marshmallow, being able to turn off a lot of the permissions is goign to be great once the Priv gets it.. however, Samsung is really bad about their bloat. There are so many programs running in the background and hopefully the Priv wont be that way. I'm pretty sure the battery life on the Priv on Lollipop is going to be great. My Note 4 was great.

Edit: Words
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-19-15 11:16 AM
    Yep, this phone's battery is pretty remarkable. It has a bigger battery than the Note 5 has and the Note has a much bigger screen. Comparing it to phones with the same form factor, the Priv has a much bigger battery.

Another point about Marshmallow, being able to turn off a lot of the permissions is goign to be great once the Priv gets it.. however, Samsung is really bad about their bloat. There are so many programs running in the background and hopefully the Priv wont be that way. I'm pretty sure the battery life on the Priv on Lollipop is going to be great. My Note 4 was great.

Edit: Words
    We have to wait on the priv, because we know it's going to have some security features, and the Blackberry Experience suit. Lets see if those features impact the battery life in a significant manner. Battery size is one thing, the consumption can vary depending on software and hardware.

The S6 and Note also have Exynos processors, don't know if their consumption is similar to Qualcomm. Iphones for example tens to be good on battery, the 6 and 6S Plus have one of the best battery lifes with only 2915mah, maybe it's iOS maybe is the A9 chip, probabily it's both.
    10-19-15 11:24 AM
    Is it fair to compare any device to the "active" line of Samsung devices? Not even Sammy's own flagship devices measure up to them in terms of battery size. Their designed specifically for that and ruggedness.

Posted via CB10
    Straw man argument.

I believe it's fair. Let's also not ignore the other features that I mentioned (quick charging, QHD display etc). The s6 active also is a 32GB phone like the Priv. Should we not look at the 6P either because it's the P version....?

Poetry in Motion
    10-19-15 11:30 AM
233 ... 45678 ...