When someone can buy a phone with a much better camera for less or equal money, that is the issue. If Blackberry views this as a flagship, treat it as such. Don't skimp out on something everyone else is moving forward on. Like it or not, specs appeal to basic consumers. Hell, most don't have a clue what they mean, but if you want a successful product in today's market, it has to be taken into consideration.

I agree, it's results that matter. If Blackberry put a camera on the phone with a low mega pixel yet it still performed great like the IPhone or Nexus 6p, I wouldn't say a word. But as I said, that doesn't appear to be the case.

The back camera is probably average at best while the front camera has 2012 specs and performance.
    Don't get me wrong... the front facing camera is CRAP, but not because of mexapixels, but because of Chromatica aberrations (that purple fringing on high contrast zones), poor dynamic range, and plenty of noise even at well light environments.
    The Iphone "fanboys" also suposedly don't know much about cameras, but at least they brag about what their phone CAN DO! Android fanboys (and plenty crackberrian now) are all about the specs, they don't care what the phone can or cannot do, it's all about the RUBISH numbers.

This pic is from the Priv's front facing camera, I didn't see anybody complaining about the quality (even if it's actually rubish), because people thought it was 5 megapixels of GREATNESS!
    BlackBerry Priv specs released-img201509291210001-1-.jpg

But now, nothing changed, except that we got to know that it's actually 2MP of pure shame... Now everybody is crying that the camera is so bad that their eyes is bleeding!!

Faith lost in CB comunity... shame on you! It's not about knowing a thing about cameras, it's about opening your eyes!

Now, knowing how the priv is split in two parts, the screen part where the front camera is is very thin, probably Blackberry didn't have a choice in having a good camera, because good cameras need space between lens and sensor, and the screen might be too thin to be able to put better camera on it.

image of the top of the phone, very little space to put a good camera I would guess:
    http://img01.ibnlive.in/ibnlive/uplo...-Venice-03.jpg
    10-17-15 05:39 PM
    To me, we, the consumers keep asking for bigger and better. In years to come, it will be interesting what camera megapixels we'll be using. And, at what cost, too...

It is almost as if mobile developers and manufactures are trying to eliminate DSLR cameras. I like my Nokia D5000!
    10-17-15 05:42 PM
    I clearly recall somewhere them saying the front camera was 5 MP while the rear was 20 MP. I will search to see where i saw that.
    10-17-15 05:46 PM
    I clearly recall somewhere them saying the front camera was 5 MP while the rear was 20 MP. I will search to see where i saw that.
    The specs all along have been 18 back and 5 front. That is, until CPW put out the "official" specs.
    10-17-15 05:49 PM
    just because 2MP front facing camera, some people are not interested with this phone.
    10-17-15 05:51 PM
    To me, we, the consumers keep asking for bigger and better. In years to come, it will be interesting what camera megapixels we'll be using. And, at what cost, too...

It is almost as if mobile developers and manufactures are trying to eliminate DSLR cameras. I like my Nokia D5000!
    The latest photo camera from sony (the a7S), it's the top of the range and has a 12mp sensor... Cameras studio oriented are the ones (Like Canon 5DSR, Hassleblad, phase-One) that tend to pack higher megapixel count because they are going to be used using strobes anyway, so they can extract maximum detail. But for everyday use, too many megapixels is actually worse, because they increase noise and reduce Dynamic range.

That's why the top of the reange nikon and Canon that are used to shoot outside, like photojournalism or sports, only use 16-18mp sensors. and those are 5000$ cameras.
    10-17-15 05:51 PM
    The specs all along have been 18 back and 5 front. That is, until CPW put out the "official" specs.
    But it doesn't really matter, does it? We are being told we don't understand simple optical physics and that we are numbers sheep. I suspect that 5MP is probably better than 2 MP, assuming the sensor and processors remain constant. I will make my own mind up ultimately. What really matters, of course, is the perception of the consumer.
    10-17-15 05:59 PM
    Honestly other than selfies, are there practical use for a high pixel count camera on the front? For video conferencing, sending 1600x1200 uses a lot of data.
    10-17-15 06:01 PM
    The people in the ONLY BlackBerry Official store worldwide in Dubai confirmed to me personally that's it's 18MP for the back and 2 MP for the front camera.

So it's a Fact man chill out

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 06:06 PM
    LMAO at the deep conversations brewing about the front and rear facing cameras
    Elite1, Shadowyugi and Blacklatino like this.
    10-17-15 06:56 PM
    Based on info here, it's going to be 5 megapixel front cam https://apn-canada.gishan.net/phone_1249_priv.php
    10-17-15 07:00 PM
    I find funny that everybody here is complaining about the camera ONLY when they saw the "2 megapixel"... why the f*** you didn't complain about the camera when that guy released pictures of the front facing camera?? I even saw a guy saying "it's pretty good"...

This proves the dumbness of the smartphone comunity, nobody cares about the final result, the bloody numbers is what matters. It's like the Android sheep telling that their android phone is better than iphones because it has more cores and more Ghz....
    I'm normally not one of the complainers but, a 2 mp camera makes me wonder. Yeah I saw that picture that one dude took but those conditions seemed pretty ideal, I mean it's outside, it's bright, he'll my Sanyo flip phone camera from back in the day use to take great pictures when it was bright outside. Anything in low light and it's garbage.

That's my only concern about this 2 mp camera, hopefully it does good in low light conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    alludba likes this.
    10-17-15 07:03 PM
    Guess I am just spoiled by my wife's 6s Plus. Her front facing photos look almost as good as most regular photos. Having front flash really helps.
    10-17-15 07:11 PM
    When someone can buy a phone with a much better camera for less or equal money, that is the issue.
    Fair enough.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:48 PM
    Faith lost in CB comunity... shame on you! It's not about knowing a thing about cameras, it's about opening your eyes!

Now, knowing how the priv is split in two parts, the screen part where the front camera is is very thin, probably Blackberry didn't have a choice in having a good camera, because good cameras need space between lens and sensor, and the screen might be too thin to be able to put better camera on it.

image of the top of the phone, very little space to put a good camera I would guess:
    Cellphone makers should just stop producing as-thin-as-possible phones. Personally, I don't feel that having super-thin devices being more comfortable or easier to hold. I think the sweet-spot is around 10mm or even a little thicker if it has a curved back.
    10-17-15 08:32 PM
    The people in the ONLY BlackBerry Official store worldwide in Dubai confirmed to me personally that's it's 18MP for the back and 2 MP for the front camera.

So it's a Fact man chill out

Posted via CB10
    ^His avatar was taken with the Priv front camera
    BBRYed and Blacklatino like this.
    10-17-15 08:55 PM
    I'm a grown-up. I have no need for selfies.

�ħՖ��Ʀⓣ
    dmlis likes this.
    10-17-15 09:00 PM
    Holy crap. If you are all that distraught over a 2MP front facing camera for selfies, turn the freaking thing around. I am SURE the world wants to see your selfies in 18mp.... jeez.
    And if your gonna use the argument that "video conferencing" is the issue, in the dozens I've been in, not ONCE has anyone said, "that guy must only have a 2mp front facing camera!".
    Just wow...

From my Z30!
    Adam Frix and dmlis like this.
    10-17-15 09:09 PM
    I'm a grown-up. I have no need for selfies.

�ħՖ��Ʀⓣ
    Agreed!

From my Z30!
    10-17-15 09:10 PM
    Fu**

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    The front camera is 5 mp. There are several posts around here saying the post saying 2mp are wrong.

Posted via CB10
    moegh likes this.
    10-17-15 11:17 PM
    Don't get me wrong... the front facing camera is CRAP, but not because of mexapixels, but because of Chromatica aberrations (that purple fringing on high contrast zones), poor dynamic range, and plenty of noise even at well light environments.
    The Iphone "fanboys" also suposedly don't know much about cameras, but at least they brag about what their phone CAN DO! Android fanboys (and plenty crackberrian now) are all about the specs, they don't care what the phone can or cannot do, it's all about the RUBISH numbers.

This pic is from the Priv's front facing camera, I didn't see anybody complaining about the quality (even if it's actually rubish), because people thought it was 5 megapixels of GREATNESS!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG201509291210001 (1).jpg 
Views:	2803 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	376243

But now, nothing changed, except that we got to know that it's actually 2MP of pure shame... Now everybody is crying that the camera is so bad that their eyes is bleeding!!

Spot on.

They just don't get it.

Thanks for schooling these people. They sicken me.

Posted via CB10
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-18-15 01:15 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG201509291210001 (1).jpg 
Views:	2803 
Size:	679.7 KB 
ID:	376243

I don't think you understand. Everyone was adding high resolution displays and that didn't matter until Apple decided to introduce Retina Displays. Everyone was making larger displays and that didn't matter until Apple decided to do it too. Everyone started adding higher resolution front cameras and that didn't matter until Apple did too. Apple dictates what matters and these folks who are complaining know that. They care what Apple decides and BlackBerry missed the market again.
    10-18-15 02:48 AM
    I work for a company with over 3000 employees, in Canada. Not once did the "mega pixel " issue come up when discussing phones with IT. If you really think you need a high mega pixel "selfi" camera, i-sugest you move your retinas to the nearest "I gotta have what everyone tells me I should have to feel validated" store.

From my Z30!
    will308 likes this.
    10-18-15 02:59 AM
    BlackBerry Store in Dubai is run by Axiom Telecom, agent and distributor of BlackBerry handsets in ME amongst other phones, and is not directly run by BlackBerry. So I wouldn't specifically totally digest info from them as official from BlackBerry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    00stryder and Elite1 like this.
    10-18-15 03:27 AM
    Everything was okay until I saw 'front cam 2MP.'

Edit: I know megapixels don't determine the quality of the pictures taken, but BlackBerry's camera app is rubbish. See PP's. Hopefully they use the stock Google camera app if it is truly 2MP.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 03:48 AM
233 12345 ...