Hey there!

First of all, I apologize if this is a frequently asked question or at the very least a known thing: I have been checking this board occasionally since I've owned my Blackberry Priv, but I have only signed up now because I couldn't find anything specific about my issue with it and wanted to ask.

Even more first of all: I love this phone. I have always favored physical keyboards (my previous phone I've had for WAY too long just because I had no alternatives, it was a Samsung Galaxy Y Pro) and when it was finally time to put my old phone to rest, I found out this device existed and was very skeptic from the reviews and also at the prospect of something that had a sliding keyboard (I thought it might mean it'd break easily), but as of today I am glad I stuck with it. After initial overheating issues and a very long time during which the software would not update properly, I've had no particular issues for around one and a half years, and am currently persevering in keeping it despite a cracked screen (my bad, I'm usually extremely careful with this stuff, but this time it was out of my control) and some signs of battery wear (also my bad, as lately I am forced to use my Priv as a constant wi-fi hotspot and keep it charging most of the time).

All that aside, there has been a problem with this phone that has came and went throughout all this time and I seemingly could not understand: there would be periods of time where it would just start rebooting during the day, no questions asked.

I didn't know what to do about this, and eventually it always went away for months and then came back.

Recently, I have gotten a job, and my job depends on this phone (as mentioned, I need it constantly for my internet connection, which in turn I need for work), meaning that this problem resurfacing now is absolutely terrible timing.

Speaking of timing, however, I had the chance to notice something peculiar about this problem: now that due to work schedule I'm paying attention to times, I realized my Priv seems to be rebooting always at the same time of day, which is exactly 4:40PM, sometimes two minutes after or before.

Since this is so punctual, I was wondering if this was an issue with scheduled updates, or some feature that I could somehow modify/disable? I'm inclined to believe it's not a coincidence... I even checked if the phone doesn't just happen to overheat at that time approximately because I leave my Wi-Fi hotspot on for X hours before, but it shows no signs of overheating when this is happening, and besides this problem has been around since before I had to use my phone as my makeshift Wi-Fi modem.

Does anyone here have any insight on this? It would be very much appreciated, and thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by roverse; 12-16-19 at 05:47 PM.
    12-16-19 05:23 PM
    My Priv would do the same thing, I suspect it had to do with an App update. Then the App updated and it stopped. Also when is was bad, two to three times a day. I wiped phone reloaded and it was fine. This told me it was an App breaking something in the OS.
    12-18-19 11:16 AM
    Hey there!

First of all, I apologize if this is a frequently asked question or at the very least a known thing: I have been checking this board occasionally since I've owned my Blackberry Priv, but I have only signed up now because I couldn't find anything specific about my issue with it and wanted to ask.

Even more first of all: I love this phone. I have always favored physical keyboards (my previous phone I've had for WAY too long just because I had no alternatives, it was a Samsung Galaxy Y Pro) and when it was finally time to put my old phone to rest, I found out this device existed and was very skeptic from the reviews and also at the prospect of something that had a sliding keyboard (I thought it might mean it'd break easily), but as of today I am glad I stuck with it. After initial overheating issues and a very long time during which the software would not update properly, I've had no particular issues for around one and a half years, and am currently persevering in keeping it despite a cracked screen (my bad, I'm usually extremely careful with this stuff, but this time it was out of my control) and some signs of battery wear (also my bad, as lately I am forced to use my Priv as a constant wi-fi hotspot and keep it charging most of the time).

All that aside, there has been a problem with this phone that has came and went throughout all this time and I seemingly could not understand: there would be periods of time where it would just start rebooting during the day, no questions asked.

I didn't know what to do about this, and eventually it always went away for months and then came back.

Recently, I have gotten a job, and my job depends on this phone (as mentioned, I need it constantly for my internet connection, which in turn I need for work), meaning that this problem resurfacing now is absolutely terrible timing.

Speaking of timing, however, I had the chance to notice something peculiar about this problem: now that due to work schedule I'm paying attention to times, I realized my Priv seems to be rebooting always at the same time of day, which is exactly 4:40PM, sometimes two minutes after or before.

Since this is so punctual, I was wondering if this was an issue with scheduled updates, or some feature that I could somehow modify/disable? I'm inclined to believe it's not a coincidence... I even checked if the phone doesn't just happen to overheat at that time approximately because I leave my Wi-Fi hotspot on for X hours before, but it shows no signs of overheating when this is happening, and besides this problem has been around since before I had to use my phone as my makeshift Wi-Fi modem.

Does anyone here have any insight on this? It would be very much appreciated, and thank you so much in advance!
    At the moment my Priv is doing exactly the same thing but rebooting (crashing) at around 1.15pm everyday. It will do this for up to a couple of weeks then go away for weeks/months then come back. After it has crashed/rebooted it stays awake (wakelock) which drains the battery faster so a restart is required. I've not managed to pin down the cause but it did start soon after I installed Whatsapp following the demise of BBM, but that could be coincidental. If you make any progress finding the culprit please post it here. Other than that, as the previous post said, wiping the phone and starting fresh might be the only cure.
    12-19-19 05:29 AM
    At the moment my Priv is doing exactly the same thing but rebooting (crashing) at around 1.15pm everyday. It will do this for up to a couple of weeks then go away for weeks/months then come back. After it has crashed/rebooted it stays awake (wakelock) which drains the battery faster so a restart is required. I've not managed to pin down the cause but it did start soon after I installed Whatsapp following the demise of BBM, but that could be coincidental. If you make any progress finding the culprit please post it here. Other than that, as the previous post said, wiping the phone and starting fresh might be the only cure.
    Interesting, I happen to have WhatsApp too, and I keep postponing its request to backup my data (since I don't need it). I'll try and see if a specific app is the problem if I see that this persists, starting from that one.

In the meantime, any other insight is appreciated.
    12-19-19 09:33 AM
    I have a small update on this.

During my day off, I have been using my phone as opposed to leaving it charging while using it as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Specifically, I was listening to music on it (through VLC media player).

At the scheduled time for rebooting, nothing happened.

Today I'm back to using it as my hotspot, and as punctual as ever (well, 16:42) it decided to reboot.

From this I believe I can gather that this will only happen while there's no direct activity on the phone. Will test this further.
    12-21-19 11:59 AM
    Another update (apologies for the triple post):

The problem seems to be fixed.

Unfortunately, instead of trying one solution at a time (especially since I really needed this to stop ASAP due to work-related reasons), I tried a bunch of them all at the same time one day, and the problem went away.

These are the things I did:

- I updated most of my apps (I had quite a backlog of updates). This included WhatsApp, as per previous suggestions in this thread, whether that's relevant or not.

- I played music on it (at volume zero) while it was charging for the entire day, so that the Priv would have some activity going on and not reboot, as I suspected it only rebooted at 4:40PM when the phone was not in use after using it in my free days and not encountering the issue, which came right back during my work days. Wi-Fi hotspot does not count as activity for this, apparently.

The issue went away, and by that I mean that it went away and now does not even happen if the phone is not in use.

As such, I suppose the possible fixes are as follows:

1) Considering the issue came and went throughout the years, maybe I just accidentally waited it out and it going away after my testing is a coincidence. You never know.

2) This issue was caused by a lack of update on a specific app or a group of apps (I had a lot of outdated ones, something like 30). As suggested, WhatsApp is a suspected culprit.

3) Having the phone do something actively seems to stop this temporarily (and therefore is a valid and consistent temporary solution), and perhaps if done enough times consecutively will prevent the phone from having these scheduled reboots.

Obviously, 2 is the one that makes the most sense, but since my test wasn't exactly precise you never know. I hope this can help some of you, as if 2 doesn't work, you could try 3 as a temporary measure.
    01-04-20 06:58 AM
    Another update (apologies for the triple post):

The problem seems to be fixed.

Unfortunately, instead of trying one solution at a time (especially since I really needed this to stop ASAP due to work-related reasons), I tried a bunch of them all at the same time one day, and the problem went away.

These are the things I did:

- I updated most of my apps (I had quite a backlog of updates). This included WhatsApp, as per previous suggestions in this thread, whether that's relevant or not.

- I played music on it (at volume zero) while it was charging for the entire day, so that the Priv would have some activity going on and not reboot, as I suspected it only rebooted at 4:40PM when the phone was not in use after using it in my free days and not encountering the issue, which came right back during my work days. Wi-Fi hotspot does not count as activity for this, apparently.

The issue went away, and by that I mean that it went away and now does not even happen if the phone is not in use.

As such, I suppose the possible fixes are as follows:

1) Considering the issue came and went throughout the years, maybe I just accidentally waited it out and it going away after my testing is a coincidence. You never know.

2) This issue was caused by a lack of update on a specific app or a group of apps (I had a lot of outdated ones, something like 30). As suggested, WhatsApp is a suspected culprit.

3) Having the phone do something actively seems to stop this temporarily (and therefore is a valid and consistent temporary solution), and perhaps if done enough times consecutively will prevent the phone from having these scheduled reboots.

Obviously, 2 is the one that makes the most sense, but since my test wasn't exactly precise you never know. I hope this can help some of you, as if 2 doesn't work, you could try 3 as a temporary measure.
    Thanks for the update and your theories on what might be causing these scheduled reboots or crashes. My apps have been kept reasonably up to date so for me 2 seems unlikely other than WhatsApp being the last app installed on my phone before this problem started. You might be on to something with 3 though, but whether it will put a stop to the issue permanently needs further investigation. My issue has gone away for now and my Priv hasn't rebooted since 18 December. However, because this problem comes and goes it might come back soon.
    01-07-20 04:47 AM