REALY this may be a nebie question comming form secure os 10 here goes
    blackberry priv is secure maby not

gas buddy os 10 no ads
    gas buddy Priv adds galore
    The weather network os 10 no ads
    the weather network Priv ads galore
    yahoo weather os 10 no ads
    yahoo weather Priv ads galore

is there a way to stop apps from pulling addware into apps just because there free what a shock so annoying i uninstalled the apps and any future apps that steal data just to show off anoying adds.

feel free to edit this, dissapontment doesent cover this
    kertong and lift like this.
    12-26-15 01:32 PM
    I had Weather Network on my Z30 and I recall that it had ads. Not sure about the others apps you mentioned. On both my Z30 and Priv, Cribbage Pro had/has ads.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-26-15 02:08 PM
    I have never owned a blackberry device until the priv. I have always owned an android device so I guess I'm used to the bs ads to a degree. Usually though an app will have a free version with ads and a paid one without. I know that's not really much consolation but there is an app called adguard that works without root and is free that can block some ads. Im using it now. It makes me mad it doesn't work on YouTube though. I'm not paying 10 bucks a month for YouTube red.
    12-26-15 10:39 PM
    Developers can't work for free so they support their work with ads or offering paid versions with no ads.

I'm assuming anyone concerned about privacy isn't using Facebook, app or web. To be totally secure and private on a device, do not make any type of Internet connection. Probably should skip calling and texting too.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    sushistew and BirdBruce like this.
    12-26-15 10:45 PM
    I have never owned a blackberry device until the priv. I have always owned an android device so I guess I'm used to the bs ads to a degree. Usually though an app will have a free version with ads and a paid one without. I know that's not really much consolation but there is an app called adguard that works without root and is free that can block some ads. Im using it now. It makes me mad it doesn't work on YouTube though. I'm not paying 10 bucks a month for YouTube red.
    I disabled chrome and use Firefox. You can download add-ons for android Firefox too, and thus I have adblock too. I have never encountered ads on YouTube with it, and unlike chrome, I can minimize Firefox and the video will still play.
    sonicpix likes this.
    12-26-15 11:03 PM
    It's important to remember just because you don't see an ad doesn't mean data is not being collected. We collect data all the time in the background with no ads visible.

Not all user data collected has the intent purpose of destroying your life. Data collection is an excellent tool in helping to improve the product. It also helps when things are not working as intended.

Jonneh, app_Developer and Tsepz_GP like this.
    12-26-15 11:11 PM
    Best way to setup DNS with ads filter and malicious site blocker. I really think this service should be free and should have been made available by BlackBerry not by third party.

gizmo21 likes this.
    12-26-15 11:53 PM
    Just checked weather network on my Z30 and it has ads

Posted by my awesome Z30
    southlander likes this.
    12-27-15 12:58 AM
    REALY this may be a nebie question comming form secure os 10 here goes
    blackberry priv is secure maby not

gas buddy os 10 no ads
    gas buddy Priv adds galore
    The weather network os 10 no ads
    the weather network Priv ads galore
    yahoo weather os 10 no ads
    yahoo weather Priv ads galore

is there a way to stop apps from pulling addware into apps just because there free what a shock so annoying i uninstalled the apps and any future apps that steal data just to show off anoying adds.

feel free to edit this, dissapontment doesent cover this
    Usually you pay apps with money or data (facebook collecting, google collecting or other devs via ads). There are open-source/freeware devs that do it for the fun or fame on not so heavliy supported OSes (Jolla,webOS,BBOS10) but those have to be found in the ocean of droid store. On Android 6 you will at least be able to stop those "free" apps from accessing your contacts, calendar, mails... but ads will stay...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    12-27-15 02:39 AM
    It's important to remember just because you don't see an ad doesn't mean data is not being collected. We collect data all the time in the background with no ads visible.

Not all user data collected has the intent purpose of destroying your life. Data collection is an excellent tool in helping to improve the product. It also helps when things are not working as intended.

You're one of them!! Data mining people with no respect for any ones privacy!
    "Not all user data collected has the intent purpose of destroying your life. Data collection is an excellent tool in helping to improve the product. It also helps when things are not working as intended."
    That is a lame excuse to abuse data collection. You people are such low life's.
    12-27-15 02:12 PM
    Hey OP. If you do any reading at all on the internet you would have read that android is a giant data collecting machine. Did you REALLY expect ANY privacy from a company that makes it's revenue on ad's???
    sonicpix and TheDutch20 like this.
    12-27-15 02:15 PM
    Hey OP. If you do any reading at all on the internet you would have read that android is a giant data collecting machine. Did you REALLY expect ANY privacy from a company that makes it's revenue on ad's???
    Way to separate the OS developer from the App developer.

One has nothing to do with the other...if the App is pulling info you don't want it to, then try another developers version or blame them for wanting to get paid for their time.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    12-27-15 02:35 PM
    Way to separate the OS developer from the App developer.
    They are both data grabbing scum. My brother is a software engineer and has his own business. He does VERY well. I asked him about all this data grabbing ad infested app stuff. He told me he wrote an app for his phone and it took him about 2 hours. I know some apps are a lot more complex but still how much data do these app developers need to harvest and how many ad's do they need to shove in your face to cover the cost of development? They are just greedy and have no respect for the end users.
    12-27-15 02:42 PM
    Yes i do understand what u said but i check all those apps on my passport and no ads when blackberry makes a phone named priv for privacy and security what is secure about hitting an ad in a app and your web browser opening ?
    and on a second not if these apps had a paid version with no ads what would u choose point is im not given a choice
    12-27-15 02:47 PM
    "Not all user data collected has the intent purpose of destroying your life. Data collection is an excellent tool in helping to improve the product. It also helps when things are not working as intended."
    Wap, wap, wap, wap, excuse me for a minute while I shut my black helicopter down. Yep I'm part of an elite team seeking to collect data and destroy lives. We disclose our sinister plan in a top secret document that nobody reads. We chose a cleaver name for this document ..... We call it the privacy policy.

All of our apps are for internal corporate distribution on company owned devices.

sushistew, PJD642, JBhar and 2 others like this.
    12-27-15 02:51 PM
    Honestly...
    kbz1960 and john_v like this.
    12-27-15 02:55 PM
    So besides rooting and voiding all warranty on my PRIV what apps work to stop adds if any
    12-27-15 02:55 PM
    Honestly...
    Dishonestly.....?
    12-27-15 02:57 PM
    The advertising really chaps me when it is present in a paid app. That is infuriating.
    Irish Blues likes this.
    12-27-15 02:59 PM
    Did that poster say folks are not asked to opt in first? No I don't believe he did. If someone opts in then it is fine. Windows 10 collects telemetry if you install it as a FREE upgrade for example. And it gets disclosed. You get a free OS and MS gets some anonymized user data.

12-27-15 03:01 PM
    The advertising really chapsbme when it is present in a paid app. That is infuriating.
    I agree with you. When I purchase an app I don't want to see visible ads.

12-27-15 03:02 PM
    So besides rooting and voiding all warranty on my PRIV what apps work to stop adds if any
    How do you intend to root your Priv? What do you know that no one else does?
    southlander likes this.
    12-27-15 03:04 PM
    Set up a private VPN back to your infrastructure (e.g. home network) and run unbound on it. Unbound can split DNS resolution, which means you can then blacklist any domains you don't want resolved.

Bingo -- no ads. There is a problem with this, however, in that AT&T portblocks on mobile and thus it won't work on a mobile connection if you're on AT&T. That can PROBABLY be worked around with some effort, but it's non-trivial to do.

Doing it this way doesn't require root; I've done it with my BB10 devices since they were introduced, and it works just fine on the Priv as well.
    12-27-15 03:06 PM
    How do you intend to root your Priv? What do you know that no one else does?
    Most android phones can be rooted i heard by rooting it can kill all ads any further knowledge is yet to learn
    12-27-15 03:08 PM
    Priv's can be rooted?
    12-27-15 03:11 PM
49 12