It's easier to lower price after launch than to increase it!

Posted via CB10
    We have a winner! This is my rationale. They release it at current pricing going into the holiday season and once Black Friday hits and Boxing Day, I can see promotional sales coming.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:07 AM
    I don't know that price is the issue. I think convincing people that an Android phone could ever be secure is the issue.
    10-25-15 08:37 AM
    I think the pricing is okay, because BlackBerry added value by Hardware Root of Trust and securing the Linux kernel..

If it has to be Android for any reason, then the Priv or BlackPhone seem to be the only secure options.
    So BlackBerry has actually only one competitor.

Added value + only one competitor + very good specs = high price
    You just listed something that most Android users don't care about as if it were a justification for them to pay more money for the phone. To me and to many other's, this phone being locked down is a huge con.

Super secure and locked down Android devices are something that 99% of Android users didn't want or require when they bought an Android device. How many people out there went and bought a Android device for the security? Is BlackBerry only trying to keep the pathetic, 0.3% of the market they have now or are they trying to grow?

The overwhelming majority of Android users are perfectly content with Android's level of security the way it is. Tell me this, why hasn't other so-called "secured" Android phones sold well? Is the BlackPhone setting sales records? Why is it that the LG G phones and Samsung Galaxy devices of the world are out selling secured Android phones by tens of millions of units?

BlackBerry insisting on putting privacy and security features on this phone will end up doing far more harm than good. For everyone 1 person out there who cares enough about BlackBerry's security features to buy a phone just to get them, there are hundreds of millions of people who simply don't care.

BlackBerry should make a version of the Priv with just plan vanilla Android on it for consumers and leave the security features for the tiny, tiny pool of people who want or need them.

I honestly just wish BlackBerry would go out of business already so that LG, Samsung or someone else will come along and buy their keyboard patents so that we can get a normal, everyday Android device with BlackBerry's keyboard. You know, what most people who could have been interested in this phone actually wanted.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    10-25-15 08:57 AM
    I don't know that price is the issue. I think convincing people that an Android phone could ever be secure is the issue.
    Yea, the 1.4 billion active Android users out there in the world sure seem concerned about that don't they?
    10-25-15 09:05 AM
    Yea, the billion + Android users out there in the world sure seem concerned about that don't though?
    Android users aren't the concern either, it's the BlackBerry base that will buy this device and only if they believe it's secure. That's going to take time to prove. I imagine adoption will be relatively slow for this reason, not price.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-25-15 09:07 AM
    Android users aren't the concern either, it's the BlackBerry base that will buy this device and only if they believe it's secure. That's going to take time to prove. I imagine adoption will be relatively slow for this reason, not price.
    So BlackBerry is going after the 0.3% that they currently have instead of going after the millions of people who buy an Android every second?

They are so dumb. If security was enough to sell phones, BB10 wouldn't be the largest commercial failure in smartphone history.

Why not go after the huge market of people who buy normal, everyday Android phones? Put a BlackBerry keyboard on a normal Android device with good specs and at a fair price and they could sell millions of them to normal, everyday Android users. That would give them a much better shot than they will have with trying to force security onto people who don't want or need it.

BlackBerry has always had security and look where that so called advantage has gotten them! Clinging to security still at this point shows how clueless they really are.
    raquelcrf81 and JeepBB like this.
    10-25-15 09:21 AM
    . Why not go after the huge market of people who buy normal, everyday Android phones?
    You tell me why not? Because that's not what they're doing and I'm the dumb one here.
    10-25-15 09:24 AM
    You tell me why not? Because that's not what they're doing and I'm the dumb one here.
    Where has security gotten BlackBerry?

Are they a nonprofit organization making secure devices out of the goodness of their hearts, or are they a business that is supposed to be making money?

As a nonprofit, their secured devices are perfect! BB10 cost them billions. Not a single cent in profit earned. Goal accomplished though because they got a warm and fuzzy feeling from making the world a more secure place.

As a business that exists to create profit, BlackBerry is about as incompetent as they come and clinging on to security shows that they still haven't learned. Being a maker of "secure" smartphones has nearly killed BlackBerry. So keep trying until it does kill them?

Going after the less than 1% who want or need a smartphone that is more secure than normal phones instead of the 99% who don't, is just plain dumb.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    10-25-15 09:37 AM
    Going after the less than 1% who want or need a smartphone that is more secure than normal phones instead of the 99% who don't, is just plain dumb.
    I agree but that actually appears to be what they're doing.

There's no outreach here to the 'average samesung user'. Their outreach is to the same small userbase they've had for years. They're trying to convince blackberry users that Android can be secure.

If regular android users latch on, bonus, but as of right now they're appealing to their base.
    10-25-15 09:57 AM
    I agree but that actually appears to be what they're doing.

There's no outreach here to the 'average samesung user'. Their outreach is to the same small userbase they've had for years. They're trying to convince blackberry users that Android can be secure.

If regular android users latch on, bonus, but as of right now they're appealing to their base.
    It would be a hard sell to current BlackBerry users. Convincing them that Android can be secured. I have ordered a few for testing. Highly doubt that we will go in any numbers for an Android device. Let's see.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 10:20 AM
    Phones are getting cheaper nowadays because there is a growing movement of smartphone users that like to purchase devices outright and not lock themselves into long term carrier contracts. I'm one of those people. I like to shop around and have my freedom. Screw you Rogers, Bell and Telus. I purchased my Nexus 5 (32gb) for $468.99 almost 2 years ago and will be purchasing my next smartphone device outright as well.

Anyways, I really hope I'm wrong here fellas but to me, it definitely feels overpriced. I understand that our dollar here in Canada has a lot to do with this but there are just too many choices up here that offer equivalent or better bang for your buck. Just to give you some examples:

Nexus 6P - $699
    LG G4 - $699
    Xperia Z5 - $649 with Bell
    10-25-15 10:23 AM
    If I was in the market for an Android phone and didn't absolutely have to have a PKB, The Nexus 6P for $499 US would be a much better value. More phone less Money.
    10-25-15 10:26 AM
    They priced it high to show everyone it's a premium phone, it will drop as soon as all the die hards have paid top dollar. Keep in mind this is the price of the unlocked phone.

Hopefully this is a case of under promise and over deliver.

Zed30
    aha likes this.
    10-25-15 11:20 AM
    You just listed something that most Android users don't care about as if it were a justification for them to pay more money for the phone. To me and to many other's, this phone being locked down is a huge con.

Super secure and locked down Android devices are something that 99% of Android users didn't want or require when they bought an Android device. How many people out there went and bought a Android device for the security? Is BlackBerry only trying to keep the pathetic, 0.3% of the market they have now or are they trying to grow?

[...]

I honestly just wish BlackBerry would go out of business already so that LG, Samsung or someone else will come along and buy their keyboard patents so that we can get a normal, everyday Android device with BlackBerry's keyboard. You know, what most people who could have been interested in this phone actually wanted.

I think there are multiple reasons:

1) Any unsecured Android can be easily hacked and would further damage the reputation of BlackBerry. Their core reputation is to make secure phones.

2) They are taking over Good, so they will have a lots of users with Android phones, who will need a replacement phone in the near future. The Priv is an attractive upgrade phone for these users.

3) The consumer market with cheap insecure Android devices is oversaturated. If a consumer wants to buy a regular insecure Android phone, there is plenty of choice already.

4) The Priv will still be a good-buy in two years, because it comes with very good specs, but I think it will become cheaper over time.

Btw, if you want to root the device anyways, why should it be BlackBerry?
    10-25-15 11:31 AM
    They priced it high to show everyone it's a premium phone, it will drop as soon as all the die hards have paid top dollar. Keep in mind this is the price of the unlocked phone.

Hopefully this is a case of under promise and over deliver.

Zed30
    This happened before, this will happen again.

It's simple supply and demand. They can price it the same as iPhone on launch, but if the demand is not strong, and they want to convert their inventory to cash, they will have to lower their prices.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 11:33 AM
    The problem with waiting for price to drop is that if you have a good plan you will lose it

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 03:50 PM
    No it's not.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 04:37 PM
    It's to expensive even for a blackberry enthusiast like me

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 04:37 PM
    I will wait for price to drop by another $200CDN before I buy. Classic is still going strong, i'll be patient

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 05:52 PM
    I understand that it's built with top of the line components but shelling out over 1000$ when it's said and done for a phone is ridiculous.

I'll just buy a new Z10 battery and keep moving.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:00 PM
    I have an LG Volt as a backup phone on Virgin Mobile. I got it on sale for $79 on a straight purchase with no plan or contract attached. It is Quad Core, has lots of storage, a decent screen and is about the size of an iPhone 6 so the screen is large. My plan is $35 a month, first 3 gig at 4g speeds the rest unlimited at 2g. And, Virgin just increased my talk minutes and text to unlimited at no charge. All this for $35 a month on a very nice phone that most would be super happy with. This is what Berry is competing with in the real Droid market.

I'm not buying a Priv. I'm happy with my Q5 and I buy a Berry for a Berry OS, not a souped up secured Droid platform at a VERY PREMIUM price. No thanks.

I hope they do well, but I have serious doubts. HTC is on the verge of Bankruptcy because they could not compete in the ULTRA-COMPETITIVE Droid Phone market. If the Berry's "Secure" niche is attractive enough, perhaps they will have cracked an elusive market segment that will allow them to compete globally. If not, it will be a very short marketing stint.
    10-25-15 06:10 PM
    I have an LG Volt as a backup phone on Virgin Mobile. I got it on sale for $79 on a straight purchase with no plan or contract attached. It is Quad Core, has lots of storage, a decent screen and is about the size of an iPhone 6 so the screen is large. My plan is $35 a month, first 3 gig at 4g speeds the rest unlimited at 2g. And, Virgin just increased my talk minutes and text to unlimited at no charge. All this for $35 a month on a very nice phone that most would be super happy with. This is what Berry is competing with in the real Droid market.

I'm not buying a Priv. I'm happy with my Q5 and I buy a Berry for a Berry OS, not a souped up secured Droid platform at a VERY PREMIUM price. No thanks.

I hope they do well, but I have serious doubts. HTC is on the verge of Bankruptcy because they could not compete in the ULTRA-COMPETITIVE Droid Phone market. If the Berry's "Secure" niche is attractive enough, perhaps they will have cracked an elusive market segment that will allow them to compete globally. If not, it will be a very short marketing stint.
    Great points.
    10-25-15 06:20 PM
    The problem with waiting for price to drop is that if you have a good plan you will lose it

Posted via CB10
    Not if u normally pay in full for a phone

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    10-25-15 08:07 PM
    I will wait for price to drop by another $200CDN before I buy. Classic is still going strong, i'll be patient

Posted via CB10
    I agree, my Classic isn't even a year old yet

10-25-15 08:08 PM

It's funny, that it seems that no one at Blackberry had this very basic conversation?!?

10-25-15 08:14 PM
152 ... 23456 ...