Hold the power button down for about thirty two seconds. You will see a pop up for option to restart or power off, ignore it and keep holding the button down.

The phone will vibrate and the shut itself down and restart. It is like doing a a Battery pull to reset a phone.
    Ok, thank you. Will try that.
    07-28-17 09:44 PM
    I had also turned off Facebook notifications, but it still caused issues. I deleted Facebook and reloaded it after a reboot. Still the issues popped up of freezing, lag, and etc. I deleted Facebook again, rebooted, and my phone ran with none of those issues.

Other people have had a better experience than I did with Facebook on a Priv. I have no idea why it was a problem for me.

Crazy how phones that are supposed to be alike can respond so differently.
    I also shut off background data for Facebook. That may be the difference. I had no need for it to be doing anything unless I was actively looking at it.
    07-28-17 09:53 PM
    I think MrMobile blackberry priv review is fair. Priv struggles from time to time. sometimes when I text the phone hangs for a second or two but otherwise the phone is solid. browsing is fast and as long as you need the phone lite it will work well for you. I do not have Facebook on my phone for example. Facebook is killing performance and battery. if there are apps you do not use do not keep them on your phone as they all use resources.
    07-30-17 07:25 AM
    There are many things that can cause bad performance, including the SIM card, the memory card, the service provider, and dozens of settings on the phone itself. I would suggest doing some research on the internet regarding settings changes and also on how to access the developer options menu.

On a device as complex as the Priv you can't just turn it on and expect to use it to it's maximum potential. Some study will have to be done unless you just want to use it as a telephone, in which case you might as well just get an old flip phone.

We even have to read the operator's manuals on cars these days. :-)
    The problem is that only a select group of tech minded folks can and will do those things.
    07-30-17 07:43 AM
    I had a very bad experience with an AT&T branded PRIV and an excelent experience with a factory unlocked PRIV purchased directly to BlackBerry. The PRIV does present some lags some times but it is an outstanding device in my opinion. Absolutely worth the buy even today with the KEYone out. One of the most beautiful screens a smartphone has ever had, great texture to keep naked, great QWERTY and good virtual keyboard for one handed use, great rear camera, great mono speaker, decent battery life, and packs support to all of the new technologies, including SlimPort, which I was any of the DTEK's or the KEYone had.
    07-30-17 07:52 AM
    Mr. Mobile isn't going to say something about a handset that isn't true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even though he mentioned the slight lag, he also said he liked the device. I put my Passport aside and picked up a Priv and have not looked back. I have three email accounts and use it throughout the day for various things and it performs just fine. It may be a tad slower than some Android devices, but if you can't wait an extra second or two for a task to complete, then you're in too much of a rush.

Anyone considering a Priv and comparing it against the latest Galaxy should also consider the price difference. I got an unlocked Priv from dailysteals.com for $279.99 free shipping. There are even better deals on them now.

Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by jackcarr; 07-30-17 at 09:12 AM.
    07-30-17 08:51 AM
    no. just switch to 1080p like I did. you will be surprised.
    08-14-17 05:41 AM
    Used for the typical business style activities envisioned when designed, the priv performs admirably. Try to game on it extensively and I think you will be disappointed.
    08-14-17 11:08 AM
    You don't have to switch to 1080p. My phone hardly ever heats up. Performance is good. Most of the time Heating up is caused by an app or how you have the app permissions set up.

I am a very heavy user. A lot of SOT, and the Priv performs about as well as my Passport did. I usually top off my device some time during the day. I am paranoid about running out of power.

I don't see lag or stuttering, but others may. It may not be as fluid as the flagship today, but it was and still is a beast of a phone.
    08-15-17 06:58 AM
    You don't have to switch to 1080p. My phone hardly ever heats up. Performance is good. Most of the time Heating up is caused by an app or how you have the app permissions set up.

I am a very heavy user. A lot of SOT, and the Priv performs about as well as my Passport did. I usually top off my device some time during the day. I am paranoid about running out of power.

I don't see lag or stuttering, but others may. It may not be as fluid as the flagship today, but it was and still is a beast of a phone.
    I'm a same sort of user and get the same results, mostly.
    The phone becomes warm just by looking at it but battery life is manageable, I get around 3-4h screen on time and can get trough a work day with one charge, sometimes needing to do a short charge after work if going somewhere.
    I don't use facebook or snapchat, I do use pretty much everything else.
    The battery life is a lot better than what I have with my passport, I guess amoled+black themes does some magic.

Neither do I get any lag, very rarely i do get an app that opens slower than usual, but these come seldom and are not even close as bad as I've seen in some youtube videos of the priv.
    08-15-17 11:55 AM

you would be surprised how much better Priv runs by doing this small trick and switching to 1080p. it really does feel like a new phone. I can see why oneplus only sells phones with 1080p. this resolution is more than enough and benefits of faster performance , better battery life and cooler phone are there
    08-16-17 06:01 AM
    you would be surprised how much better Priv runs by doing this small trick and switching to 1080p. it really does feel like a new phone. I can see why oneplus only sells phones with 1080p. this resolution is more than enough and benefits of faster performance , better battery life and cooler phone are there
    Besides, who needs 4K on a ~5 inch screen anyway?? I'm pretty sold on this Priv (seriously considering it to backup my KEYone made before screen glue fix, you know...just in case)
    08-16-17 06:06 AM
    Besides, who needs 4K on a ~5 inch screen anyway?? I'm pretty sold on this Priv (seriously considering it to backup my KEYone made before screen glue fix, you know...just in case)
    I agree. the only place 4k might have a benefit is if you are into vr, daydream and cardboard. otherwise it is a little bit too much for a phone.
    08-16-17 06:14 AM
    The only thing this phone has going for it is the unique design and the physical keyboard. everything else is sub-par and disappointing.

1. Battery life. if you did even the most minimal of research into the phone, you would probably now that the battery life is very poor. My phone battery is at around 30% at around when my school ends (3PM) doing the 1080p thing does improve the battery life, but it's still sub-par compared to other phones and scaling issues in apps such as Kobo, Snapchat, and even on the blackberry keyboard makes it hard to justify.

2. Thermals. Although the snapdragon 808 is notorious for heating up, the priv is on a whole other level. using it for even a light load (basic web browsing) for a short period of time makes it hard to hold, and running a skype call makes the phone show me a warning that the phone is too hot

3. Performance. The phone is a few years old, and i expected it to be a little slower than other phones. but holy hell. It's not to the point that it's unusable, but the phone jitters and lags all the time, and in certain apps, it grinds to a halt. snapchat for example, stays on the loading screen for a long period of time (similar to what Mr. Mobile has shown). Spotify is worse. it takes ~2 minutes for it to fully load and start playing. it also has lots o trouble loading my playlists, and requires lots of waiting to work. general usage is laggy too.

I have fully factory wiped this phone two weeks ago, and shortened the animation time and used apps such as greenify.

I really want to like this phone. but it's hard to recommend.
    Priv4U likes this.
    06-06-18 12:34 AM
114 ... 345