I have had a blackberry since 2001. Had a BB before I had a cellphone. Fast forward to today and unfortunately, Android may have to be my default OS out of necessity, rather than by choice. I love my Z30, and it still works fine, but as I said earlier, I am having to make the switch out of necessity... and it aboslutely kills me to do so. But hey... if I am going to have to have an Android , it will be a BlackBerry device.

I was about to pull the trigger on a PRIV from Rogers for $0. down, but now with 'leaked' news of the impending DTEK60 'FlagShip', I am wanting to rethink things What would y'all do?
    • I like the PRIV slider (I had the one of the first 9800 Torches), but when it comes to a heavy duty, protective case and holster combos like OItterBox, the options just are not there.
    • The DTEK60 will be out soon, and is also going to be a solid device, and will probably have a lot more options for cases.
    • otherwise, they are both solid.

Cases aside... Would you wait for the DTEK60 or snag a PRIV.
    Thanks for any and all 'helpfull' opinions. And for those that are so inclined to be 'haters'... please dont waste this space with crap talk about either phone.
    Thanks All
    09-21-16 03:07 PM
    I would say it depends on your preference for a pkb, or not. If you are partial to the pkb, I'd wait to see if they ever release the "mercury". it's potentially only 3-4 more months away. If whatsapp is a determinant for you, it not be an option to wait for the mercury. Or go for the priv now.

If you are okay with just a vkb, then maybe wait for argon (dtek60) and give that a try.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my PRIV
    09-21-16 03:18 PM
    Priv. Because keyboard.

Seriously, what's important in a phone to you? Beside cases. Never before have I seen someone who chooses a phone based on case availability.
    andy957 and Carmels like this.
    09-21-16 03:20 PM
    Who needs cases? Buy a cat s60, drop it in mud and stomp on it. The phone will be fine without a case. Plus it takes thermal pictures! Very cool.

Passport!
    09-21-16 03:33 PM
    The are other threads asking the same question, definitely worth a look first. The current one that is still active "Get a Priv or wait on the Mercury" is showing now. There's also a search button.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    andy957 likes this.
    09-21-16 04:16 PM
    @Mirko935
    seriously... if you have to ask the question, you wont get it. ;-)
    I am a practical guy and I work in a rugged environment, i work on ladders. I drop things and things get dropped, and things get wet. I would love to rock a naked phone and I would love to have a physical keyboard again. But I dont want to have to replace a phone every few months. Money doesnt grow on trees. Not every person wants to carry their phone in their pocket.
    So... to answer your question, if I cant protect the phone the way I want to, I wont buy it. Just like I wouldn't own a lamborghini, or any low clearance sports car if everywhere I went I had to deal with dirt roads. There... Your world view has just been expanded... :-) you're welcome!
    09-21-16 05:02 PM
    @Nguyen1
    A neighbor of mine has one, and I would love to have one. But my carrier, Rogers, that carried last years Cat model the S50, doesnt carry the Cat Phones anymore. otherwise, I would have one right now, That is a phone I would make an instant switch to, but cant justify $799. to buy it outright. My business is not mature enough to allow me to have crazy money yet. :-)
    09-21-16 05:15 PM
    The are other threads asking the same question, definitely worth a look first. The current one that is still active "Get a Priv or wait on the Mercury" is showing now. There's also a search button.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    my question was get a DTEK60 or priv. not the mercury. and yes I searched first.
    09-21-16 05:17 PM
    I was thinking of letting WhatsApp go because I can't bring myself to use any other phone apart from a blackberry phone.

I have been using blackberry phoned for over 12 years.

I might go for DTEK60.

Posted Via CB10 from Z30 OS 10.3.2.2836 
    09-21-16 05:22 PM
    I would vote priv, but why not both?

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    09-21-16 05:40 PM
    Get the dtek60 and put it in a case. The priv sounds too fragile for a blue collar profession. Of course, the priv is on sale right now for a major discount, so.... tough call.

Passport!
    09-21-16 05:44 PM
    I would say get the Priv. The phone works great and there are plenty of Seidio cases that will protect it.

I, too, has the 9800 and this Priv is really a solid device.
    09-21-16 05:44 PM
    It depends on what you're looking for in a phone. In a lot of ways the BlackBerry Priv is probably the last true BlackBerry phone in the sense that it was designed by BlackBerry and has all the expected BlackBerry touches. Rumors suggest the DTEK60 will be another phone based off another "reference" phone with a few things changed and tweaked. The DTEK60 will possibly have better specs while the Priv has a fairly unique slider design with a hardware keyboard.
    09-21-16 05:58 PM
    It depends on what you're looking for in a phone. In a lot of ways the BlackBerry Priv is probably the last true BlackBerry phone in the sense that it was designed by BlackBerry and has all the expected BlackBerry touches. Rumors suggest the DTEK60 will be another phone based off another "reference" phone with a few things changed and tweaked. The DTEK60 will possibly have better specs while the Priv has a fairly unique slider design with a hardware keyboard.
    Good point about being Blackbery designed... The other franchise owners always try to tease me about my Blackberry... If you want to get me on my soapbox... say something bad about my Blackberry. Hell hath no fury like that of a BlackBerry owner scorned!

Thanks Everybody! I appreciate the input. I will stick to my original plan. PRIV it is! it may not be BB10 . But it is a true BlackBerry built and designed phone.
    Time to order a Seidio case and holster.
    cbosdell, Bay 13 and Jrox74 like this.
    09-21-16 07:41 PM
    If you care about performance only then get the dtek60. It should beat out the priv there. Battery life will probably about the same which is decent.
    09-21-16 07:43 PM
    Get the priv right now from blackberry direct while the sale is on. It's the best deal out there for new unlocked priv.

Passport!
    09-21-16 07:50 PM
    Priv is out and out BlackBerry to the core - if you want to experience BlackBerry design language and build.

I looked at DTEK50 and Priv - picked Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-22-16 10:03 AM
    Priv is out and out BlackBerry to the core - if you want to experience BlackBerry design language and build.

I looked at DTEK50 and Priv - picked Priv.

Get the priv right now from blackberry direct while the sale is on. It's the best deal out there for new unlocked priv.

Passport!
    While I am a happy Priv owner, I am also a happy DTEK50 owner and a future DTEK60 owner.

People talk about the benefits of a "true" BlackBerry design, but the forums are also littered with complaints about their last two - the Priv (creaky backs, clicky screens, mushy keys) and Passport (screen lifting, double typing).

BlackBerry hasn't cornered the market on great design, and certainly not with a slab device. I have not one complaint about the DTEK50.
    newcollector likes this.
    09-22-16 10:10 AM
    While I am a happy Priv owner, I am also a happy DTEK50 owner and a future DTEK60 owner.

People talk about the benefits of a "true" BlackBerry design, but the forums are also littered with complaints about their last two - the Priv (creaky backs, clicky screens, mushy keys) and Passport (screen lifting, double typing).

BlackBerry hasn't cornered the market on great design, and certainly not with a slab device. I have not one complaint about the DTEK50.
    I have read about these as well...honestly I didn't face any of these on Q5, Z10, Passport & Priv I have used. Only 2 problems I faced were Battery meter issue in Z10 and a Bright white spot in the middle of Passport Screen - both cases I were given a brand new device as replacement by BlackBerry.

So far pretty happy with Priv - not happy with myself as I am not using physical keyboard as much as I missed it while I were trying to look for a Android with physical keyboard - until BlackBerry Priv happened.

Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Priv Now... or wait for the DTEK60?-15643.jpg  
    09-22-16 03:19 PM
    I will be waiting for the DTEK9000.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    09-23-16 03:37 AM
    I would buy priv. other phone might be available a year from now and it will not have physical keyboard
    09-23-16 05:52 AM
    I'd at least wait till the end of the week to see if Chen gives any info on the DTEK60....

And maybe if it's coming soon.... Roger's will have both in the store so you can hold them both.
    newcollector likes this.
    09-23-16 11:05 AM
    This could be the end of BlackBerry devices If ti were me I would look for something else, BBs outlook looks dismal.
    09-23-16 11:26 AM
    This could be the end of BlackBerry devices If ti were me I would look for something else, BBs outlook looks dismal.
    Yet clearly that's not the case.

The DTEK60 is coming. If you don't think BlackBerry leaked that website url on purpose, I have some land in Florida to sell you.
    09-23-16 11:32 AM
    I work as a paramedic, so sometimes I'm in wet nasty places. Not going to say I can't destroy my phone in those environs but so far so good. I had a seidio Case on mine. It does do a good job of protection. I have an incipio case now. Verizon sells them, amazon has them too. It doesn't offer quite as much protection as the other one did but it also knocks down some bulk as well. I carry my phone in the left hand cargo pocket of my 511 ems pants in the case. So far so goo and my phone looks almost new. Have had it since March. If I'm not mistaken, seidio also offers a case with a holster combo for the priv that might be what you need. I prefer to have my phone safety tucked in the cargo pocket though. Great phone so far. Would put it in the truck if I knew I could get it really wet. Working a car wreck in the rain would see my phone stay inside lol

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    09-23-16 11:48 AM
29 12