Will the Canadian version work on wind mobile?
    10-23-15 12:24 PM
    ShopBB UK has an STV100-4 minus b41 for pre-order. Oversight, different model or incorrect information on our end?
    10-23-15 02:05 PM
    Will the Canadian version work on wind mobile?
    So far, all three variants have had the UMTS 1700 band. So yes.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-23-15 02:08 PM
    As the Verizon CDMA variant might have been scheduled for later production... maybe they just filed for it a little later. Get out the GSM versions launch in GB and Canada with the US a few weeks later.
    I don't think the US is really being launched yet.... sure you can buy it online, but so far NO carrier has it for preorder here. Canada and GB are smaller markets where it is much easier to provide the product and launch support needed... I bet the US goes live in the middle of Nov, and I bet Verizon will be in the mix too. After a few weeks they'll move on to Europe and slowly to other markets.
    To both: leaving the U.S. out of this by launching 3rd would be a stupid move on BlackBerry's part and going live mid November may be too late unless by "live" you mean in stores. If an American were to buy the Priv the window to sell it to them is closing fast as the closer to Thanksgiving we get the more dead set we become on "Holiday" purchases (you know, because of sales and advertising...).
    10-23-15 03:13 PM
    To both: leaving the U.S. out of this by launching 3rd would be a stupid move on BlackBerry's part and going live mid November may be too late...
    Well this is the way it has been at least since the January 2013 launch of the first BB10 devices: they always launch the first sales outside the USA. I see no reason that will change now.

The USA has not been a top-performing market for BlackBerry for years now, and as well, the US is picayune about how they do certifications and the US carriers are persnickety about how they launch devices.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-23-15 05:33 PM
    ShopBB UK has an STV100-4 minus b41 for pre-order. Oversight, different model or incorrect information on our end?
    I'd go with the FCC on this one.
    10-23-15 05:41 PM
    So far there's no indication that the STV100-3 is being sold anywhere. Not sure why it exists, then, except perhaps carrier exclusivity or BB is really, really optimistic about Verizon/Sprint LTE.
    10-23-15 05:49 PM
    So far there's no indication that the STV100-3 is being sold anywhere. Not sure why it exists, then, except perhaps carrier exclusivity or BB is really, really optimistic about Verizon/Sprint LTE.
    Even with no CDMA?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 06:42 PM
    Even with no CDMA?

Posted via CB10
    Well that's the point.

Voice and data over LTE obviates the need for CDMA bands.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 06:53 PM
    VoLTE on Verizon, if I'm not mistaken, was supposed to have officially launched by now, meaning near universal LTE footprint on their network.

But according to their CEO, they aren't planning to start selling LTE-only phones until late 2016:

http://www.twice.com/news/smartphone...-leasing/59043

However apparently HTC is claiming a just-announced device of theirs will work - after a software update - on Verizon without CDMA:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/97...t-work-out.htm
    raino likes this.
    10-23-15 07:09 PM
    Here is the list of devices Verizon sells that can currently do VoLTE - which they call "Advanced Calling 1.0". (But they all still have CDMA radios and VoLTE is turned "off" by default):

http://www.verizon.com/smartphones-a...-calling-1-0 /

(Edit: CB is wrapping my Verizon Wireless link above in some kind of advertising wrapper that presumably makes them money any time someone clicks on a VZW link, but also breaks the link by screwing-up the referrer or something. And if I try to edit it out, it re-wraps it. :-0

Let's see if they try to play games with a shortened link too: http://preview.tinyurl.com/pcdnqgm )
    Last edited by Omnitech; 10-23-15 at 07:36 PM.
    10-23-15 07:19 PM
    Well that's the point.

Voice and data over LTE obviates the need for CDMA bands.

Posted via CB10
    O so if you're out of LTE coverage no phone calls then. I get what you saying now.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 07:22 PM
    To add to Omnitech's post, while Verizon has announced their intention to introduce LTE-only phones by late 2016 Sprint has not made any such announcements. And Verizon has pushed back the launch a second time: they had originally said late 2014, which then became H1 2016.

And even if Verizon were to go all in on LTE tomorrow, there's no guarantee they would open up voLTE to phones they don't support. TMO hasn't, and AFAIK, neither has AT&T.
    10-23-15 07:36 PM
    For India, or Saudi Arabia maybe? Those are two major markets with band 40 and 38 LTE networks, respectively.

And mainland China, perhaps? I remember one of their Big Three has a band 41 network while another uses band 40.
    10-24-15 12:08 AM
    And mainland China, perhaps? I remember one of their Big Three has a band 41 network while another uses band 40.
    Perhaps, although I doubt it would be more than the usual tepid reception for past BlackBerries in China. It isn't as "hey, look at me" as an iPhone nor as bottom of the barrel as a ZTE.

I also don't think playing on the strengths of "security" will do well, given the fact that China is a very large part of why marketing things based on security is happening.
    raino likes this.
    10-24-15 12:17 AM
    Would the FCC still have anyhow to do with these 3 models if they aren't going for be intended for holding US?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:35 AM
    Would the FCC still have anyhow to do with these 3 models if they aren't going for be intended for holding US?

Posted via CB10
    Roaming.
    10-24-15 07:46 AM
    Blackberry Pre-Order page specifically excludes Verizon and Sprint (again).

CDMA users get no love from BB on first release of new phones.
    10-26-15 12:25 PM

And again, BlackBerry has NEVER sold a CDMA phone in their store and just wants to state that so you don't order the wrong one. It's nothing new with BB.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-26-15 12:37 PM

It's because your CDMA carriers are control freaks. They approve every phone that is to be used on their CDMA network--which is to say, every phone needs to be approved.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-26-15 12:37 PM
    Interestingly enough, back in August, I got an email from Sprint telling me that a new model of "my device" (BB Curve 9350) was coming and did I want to sign up for advance notification ('course I did). So based on that I believe the Priv will come to Sprint (& Verizon, first). My preference would be to buy "unlocked" as I have sworn off contracts.
    10-26-15 12:47 PM
    Don't start confusing unlocked devices on BlackBerry store with carrier locked devices that Sprint and Verizon will have on there own sites later, that is where people are making a mistake.
    raino likes this.
    10-26-15 12:51 PM
    Amen to that.
    10-26-15 12:58 PM
    Interestingly enough, back in August, I got an email from Sprint telling me that a new model of "my device" (BB Curve 9350) was coming and did I want to sign up for advance notification ('course I did).
    That is interesting... unless they goofed and thought you had an iPhone.
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-26-15 01:07 PM

Don't CDMA users know that they can't buy a GSM phone and use it on Verizon or Sprint?
    gfondeur likes this.
    10-26-15 02:30 PM
481 1234 ...