My Blackberry Priv started going wonky last night so I pressed the power button and told it to reboot then went to bed. This morning I found it hung on Shutting down so hadn't rebooted. So held down the power button until it started the reboot and stuck it in my pocket to head to work. Took it out later and it hadn't come up so rebooted again and kept an eye on it. It went through the rotating icons stage, got to optimizing apps, completed that and now shows the "Android is starting... Starting apps" and just sits and spins. Obviously can't call Blackberry support on this since the phone isn't working and there doesn't seem to be an email option I can use to contact them instead from my computer.
    01-22-16 08:51 AM
    First, can't you just call BB Support from a different phone?

Anyway, what happens if you hold Power and Vol Down simultaneously to enter the bootloader menu. Can you try restarting from that menu and seeing if it boots properly?
    01-23-16 08:37 AM
    Tried calling them from my desk phone (a fancy VOIP model) but their auto menu wouldn't recognize the key presses for some reason so I couldn't get past the second menu to talk to a person. Called them when I got home after work and opened a ticket.

Tried the power & volume down option but whichever (continue or fastboot) option I select from the menu just leads in to the same cycling through trying to complete an Android boot behaviour.
    01-24-16 03:41 PM
    I've had a couple of more conversations with support. There were some questions about exactly what was happening that came back from 2nd level support and I ended up using my wife's phone to take a video of what the screen showed as it cycled through attempting to boot and sent it in. I'm getting the impression that this is something they haven't seen before.
    01-25-16 05:38 PM
    Since the Priv has SO many problems, they've started asking for a video if every issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-26-16 04:23 AM
    Getting a warranty replacement.
    02-01-16 11:17 AM
    Back up and running with a new phone. Nice process to get the new phone immediately and then return the old phone with the enclosed box and label instead of having to do it the other way around.
    02-03-16 11:37 AM
    im having the same issue now.. every time i restart the phone or the phone even restarts itself it is taking time to optimising apps and starting. that is really annoying! have u found any solution?

thanks in advance
    02-16-16 11:46 PM
    It only ever reads "optimizing apps" after a system update from BlackBerry. So, this is somehow update related, or you would not be seeing those words on the screen. I just rebooted my device to make sure I wasn't missing something, but of course I was right. Anyway, just saying.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by buckwylder; 02-17-16 at 06:43 PM.
    02-17-16 06:18 PM
    what i do on that situation???
    02-24-18 05:10 AM
    how much time is applied on this process?? "Android is starting... Starting apps"
    02-24-18 05:12 AM
    how much time is applied on this process?? "Android is starting... Starting apps"
    02-24-18 05:18 AM
    A lot of time in the end I randomly pressed control alt delete and the phone came back on..even trying to reboot and restart the phone must went black to optimising apps..crapest phone I've ever had something not made right in the phone
    05-11-18 02:38 AM
    control alt delete
    lol.
    Fed66 likes this.
    05-11-18 11:07 AM
    Try installing the BlackBerry Virtual Expert app (on Google Play Store). This app seems to solve many issues with the PRIV.
    05-18-18 12:25 PM
    Glad you all could help the OP. He had the issue two years ago and got a new phone, but hey, glad you all are on top of it.

For the other person reporting the issue in the thread, they posted three months ago.
    05-18-18 12:30 PM
    I have the same issue right now. It says "optimizing app 1 of 2" and it takes approx. 15 minutes for each app, so 30 in total. It gets REALLY hot while it is optimizing. So is there any fix for this issue?

Thank you and best regards,
    k-meleon
    05-31-18 12:17 PM
    Uninstall the apps it's stuck on optimizing. Usually something u just installed recently. Once u get that done it should be back to normal
    05-31-18 09:27 PM
    Uninstall the apps it's stuck on optimizing. Usually something u just installed recently. Once u get that done it should be back to normal
    OP solution was to get a new phone.
    05-31-18 09:52 PM
    OP solution was to get a new phone.
    That works too lol
    05-31-18 09:53 PM
    Thanks for your answers! Finding the app which is stuck at optimizing isn't easy, because it's not displayed. If you didn't restart your phone for - let's say - 20 days and meanwhile installed for example 15 apps, finding the correct app is really nasty without any help. Remember that you'll loose all settings and data for each uninstalled app.

I'll now tell you a working solution for that issue, which I just found out. You have to install adb (part of Android SDK) on your PC and connect an USB cable to the Priv. Change USB mode to PTP. In Windows open a command window (cmd.exe) starting at folder, where "adb.exe" is installed. Type:
    adb logcat -v time -d > logcat.log
    open the file logcat.log with notepad and search for "dex2oat". If this is your issue, you'll find lines like this:
    Running dexopt (dex2oat) on: ... pkg=.... ....
    The app name causing the long delay is printed after the string "pkg=". For every app that will be optimized dex2oat will wait 570 seconds.
    dex2oat did not finish after 570 seconds
    If you are not sure which app it is, search for the string after pkg= in google, you'll find information to the app name and then you will remember...hopefully.

Now uninstall these apps and the issue is fixed!
    Last edited by k-meleon; 06-01-18 at 02:47 PM.
    06-01-18 08:32 AM