I have been experiencing heatinng issue. With my priv is it common with other users??? Please provide a solution if anyone could.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 08:25 AM
    Mine heats up all the time when using any app. I have the SVT100-3 model

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    03-27-16 08:43 AM
    Do a search and a lot are experiencing the same heating issues, including myself.

I saw a video of this guy who tear downed his Priv, removed the thermal paste and replaced it with a better one - also adding a generous amount of the paste too. He reported it kinda solved the thermal issue.
    03-27-16 08:45 AM
    My Priv overheats often, but it is very much attributed to the tasks it completes... Certain apps/times you'd expect it to get hot like when streaming or perhaps gaming, but then sometimes I really am taken back by the heating of the device, especially when it gets hot performing simple tasks like editing photos and reading my RSS feeds... I'm used to Androids getting hot, I'm just not used to basic, simplistic functions causing the device to heat...

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 09:59 AM
    As noted here and throughout the Priv forum, the phone does get hot. I've also noticed that mine won't charge properly when the battery temp exceeds 40 degrees Celsius. Someone suggested switching into Battery Saver mode when the temp starts to rise, but I haven't tried that yet. Give this a try and report back whether or not you feel this solution helps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-16 10:20 AM
    I've searched the forums all over and no one has discovered how to fix the issue. Seems like everyone is pointing towards the operating system Lollipop as being the issue.

03-27-16 10:27 AM
    Mine really doesn't get that bad. When I have a lot of updates going or watching videos for extending periods it gets warm but I've never had it what I'd call hot. I had an HTC desire that would literally be so hot it was just uncomfortable to hold. I may not use mine as hard as you all and therefore don't experience the heat as bad. It's the nature of every android I've ever had, some are worse than others

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-27-16 10:30 AM
    Mine does heat up, however it doesn't heat up any worse than my passport did. My iPhone 5S was infamous for heating up and most Android devices I've had prior to the Priv got horrendously warm.

Saying that, mine only heats up during gaming, reading and writing documents and several social media accounts accounts feeding push notifications probably don't help either.

paulbbp and Tezcatlipoca91 like this.
    03-27-16 10:35 AM
    Mine does heat up, however it doesn't heat up any worse than my passport did. My iPhone 5S was infamous for heating up and most Android devices I've had prior to the Priv got horrendously warm.

Saying that, mine only heats up during gaming, reading and writing documents and several social media accounts accounts feeding push notifications probably don't help either.

In other words it heats up anytime you use it, just like mine.

03-27-16 06:43 PM
    I've searched the forums all over and no one has discovered how to fix the issue. Seems like everyone is pointing towards the operating system Lollipop as being the issue.

More likely the 808 rather then the operating system, but hopefully Marshmallow will help.

03-27-16 08:37 PM
    Common issue from day one! Blackberry needs a fix for this issue, mine only heats up with downloads and updates.

03-27-16 08:43 PM
    I really doubt that this heating issue will be address just by SW updates. It has all to do with how heat is being dissipated. So if you don't have enough thermal paste and cooling design, then no SW can address that. However, if the SW update underclocks the CPU, GPU and Chipset, then that will lessen the heating issue to the extent of affecting speed/overall performance of the phone...same concept as with computers...
    03-28-16 07:25 AM
    The main culprit for the T-Mobile Priv heating and battery life issues are the diagnostics of the T-Mobile app running constantly in the background. Open the app, go to settings and switch off diagnostics - battery life and heating will significantly improve.

Also, uninstall/disable all Google apps and services that you don't use.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 07:36 AM
    The main culprit for the T-Mobile Priv heating and battery life issues are the diagnostics of the T-Mobile app running constantly in the background. Open the app, go to settings and switch off diagnostics - battery life and heating will significantly improve.

Posted via CB10
    What if the Priv was a non T-Mobile unit? Based on what i read here, it's not carrier unit based issue. It's really a Priv issue :P
    03-28-16 09:26 AM
    What if the Priv was a non T-Mobile unit? Based on what i read here, it's not carrier unit based issue. It's really a Priv issue :P
    All Android phones heat up when using heavy/large apps. Regardless of the model, and priv just happens to be one of models that gets slightly warmer compared to others. My Nexus 6p, G3 gets warm when I'm using certain apps and our during heavy usage.
    03-28-16 09:41 AM
    It depends what you mean by heating! All phones are get hot when you are browsing for some time or playing a game , scrolling down Facebook etc.
    I have the Priv since mid of December and didn't experience heating issue more than any other phone I was using in the past.
    madfaady likes this.
    03-28-16 01:53 PM
    The only app that I use that causes my Priv to heat up substantially is the 'Crossy Road' game.

It also heats up my Note 4, so this may be an issue with the game itself when combined with the SD805/808 processors.
    03-28-16 01:59 PM
    As many people have said all phones warm up some. The PRIV has been the worst offender in my long list of cell phones. I lessened it somewhat by keeping track of apps that caused most heating and disabling them or greenifying them. The TMobile app was bad as were many of the Google Apps but a few others did as well. I finally gave up and jumped to a Galaxy S7 Edge.
    03-28-16 05:31 PM
    I've been having serious issues with it heating up. It was always bad, but it has been so much worse ever since the launcher was updated (both times). My phone will be sitting idle for a couple hours, and when I pick it up, it's almost too hot to comfortably handle, 60% of the battery is gone, and when I try to use it, the launcher crashes. Also, today while using Lumosity, it got so hot that it actually shut down.

I've tried to figure this out by using GSam Battery Monitor and CPU Spy Plus, and I found that the CPU stays at high frequencies and doesn't go into deep sleep. I can't find anything that is keeping it awake so I'm thinking about calling support tomorrow. Something is obviously wrong since my Z-10 ran Lumosity without a problem.

KuroKei likes this.
    03-28-16 11:41 PM
    Mine heats up after using it for a while or while playing games. Verizon model.

03-29-16 10:04 AM
    Well, here's my battery history from yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on with the built in battery monitor, but I also included the graph from GSam which also shows the battery temperature.

BlackBerry priv heating issue-screenshot_2016-03-29-00-51-39.jpg

BlackBerry priv heating issue-screenshot_2016-03-29-00-53-35.jpg
    03-29-16 10:14 AM
    All Android phones heat up when using heavy/large apps. Regardless of the model, and priv just happens to be one of models that gets slightly warmer compared to others. My Nexus 6p, G3 gets warm when I'm using certain apps and our during heavy usage.
    I have a Nexus 6P, and the level of heat on the Priv cannot even be compared. It's burning up compared to the 6P. To mention them in the same post is patently ridiculous.
    03-29-16 11:29 AM
    Well, here's my battery history from yesterday. I'm not sure what's going on with the built in battery monitor, but I also included the graph from GSam which also shows the battery temperature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-29-00-51-39.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	395616

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-29-00-53-35.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	395617
    ABSURDLY hot.
    03-29-16 11:30 AM
    I know.
    It shut itself off twice during those spots in the afternoon. Then, for that big battery drain around 1800, it was just sitting on the counter, and when I picked it up, the launcher failed and I got an error message.

Anyone else seeing something like that?
    03-29-16 02:00 PM
    Honestly, I had similar problem but decided to give a try factory restoring the device completely to make sure the Hub would properly set up and make all the updates.

This helped me a lot to have my day to day activities covered but I must say this phone does get crazy hot doing CPU intensive tasks like playing a 3D game (I tried serval just to see and all make the Priv overheat) The only game I play from time to time to relax is Osmos and let me tell ya, the Priv set the bar up high with it's Fiery mode I can feel the phone burning in my hands, a bit more and I would say it would be unbearable (particularly on the sides.)

Now the funny thing is that I could understand the CPU overheating for this like games, but the same thing happens during a download or any WIFI intensive activity. As you can probably understand each time the phone offers me its hand toasting feature the battery gets hammered

... I wonder why?

The Priv is a great phone, but it would be better if I wouldn't have to be precocious about my daily app usage. I do really hope the Marshmallow update will be able to address a bit of the problem.
    03-29-16 02:25 PM
40 12