05-09-19 10:42 AM
64 123
tools
    frankly, using the self same tooling, they could make a Priv identical to original just with a no-heat processor, more RAM, still with QI receiver, and maybe a better connector not so fragile or usb-c instead... the use of same design would allow it to be relatively cheap...
    05-03-19 12:41 PM
    frankly, using the self same tooling, they could make a Priv identical to original just with a no-heat processor, more RAM, still with QI receiver, and maybe a better connector not so fragile or usb-c instead... the use of same design would allow it to be relatively cheap...
    Yet, still wouldn't sell enough to pay for a bankruptcy filing...
    John Albert likes this.
    05-03-19 05:27 PM
    A successor to the PRIV is more likely to sell than any Key device. It is the only form factor with a PKB that 99%+ (aka glass slab users) would even remotely consider. Even with identical specs and a $200 higher price tag, it would be a no compromise solution compared to a Key device.
    05-03-19 07:06 PM
    A successor to the PRIV is more likely to sell than any Key device. It is the only form factor with a PKB that 99%+ (aka glass slab users) would even remotely consider. Even with identical specs and a $200 higher price tag, it would be a no compromise solution compared to a Key device.
    If that were the case, it would have been the first device sold under the BB licensing agreement. BB shared historical data with BBMo in order to maximize potential sales.

To please everyone, you essentially please nobody producing a slider. If the slider form had serious potential, somebody would be producing.
    05-03-19 08:13 PM
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
    the_boon likes this.
    05-03-19 10:42 PM
    I'm sorry I missed out on the PRIV experience. When it came out, my Passport was only 6 months old, so couldn't justify it.

They still sell new on ebay for 200 USD. Tempted to get one but wouldn't be able to pay my bar tab tonight. Priorities...
    05-04-19 10:57 AM
    While I wouldn't mind that at all and would purchase it personally, it would be the first time ever that an OEM simply re-uses an older design while just updating the internals and keeping everything else exactly the same.

Samsung kind of did it for the Note Fan Edition lol.

What I didn't really like about the Priv was the curved screen, it made having a tempered glass screen protector really annoying since it would have a ton of glare and finger smudges (which therefore made it necessary to bump up the brightness a bit more which is not what you'd want to do when the device has such a terrible processor)
    05-05-19 02:09 PM
    Perhaps, if a sliding phone were to one day appear on the market, it would have a much wider horizontal keyboard, as the WASD keys would appeal to gamers. Something like a Motorola Droid, old HTC, or more recently, Fxtek. They do exist, and they could sell. They'd just have to be a good phone.
    05-07-19 11:58 PM
    Perhaps, if a sliding phone were to one day appear on the market, it would have a much wider horizontal keyboard, as the WASD keys would appeal to gamers. Something like a Motorola Droid, old HTC, or more recently, Fxtek. They do exist, and they could sell. They'd just have to be a good phone.
    You won’t see anymore by traditional OEMs so the FxTec is probably your best slider choice now. Looking forward to your review.
    05-08-19 07:21 AM
    I think back to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and then what they have done with the KEY² and ahead to what they might do with the KEY3 and I'm excited for a possible PRIV upgrade.

I loved my PRIV and if they were to refine all that they could with keeping that form factor I would be first in line. Don't get me wrong I love my KEY² LE but I would like something different as far as form factor goes.

Plus one of my favorite things to do was to show the all touch device and then slide out the keyboard, people lost it.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-08-19 07:44 AM
    You won’t see anymore by traditional OEMs so the FxTec is probably your best slider choice now. Looking forward to your review.
    That isn't out yet, but it may be worth considering in the coming years. At this moment, the best phone for me is the Priv, as a daily driver.

When I first saw it in a Telus store (I'm Canadian, so all our major retailers sold it), I thought it was the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes upon.

When I'm out of the house, I usually only have time to check my text messages, make a call, and maybe play a game in the waiting room. Sometimes I like to idly stroke the back of the phone when I'm relaxing. I've never had a phone before, that I would find myself stroking it! For someone who wants a tactile productive device, the Priv is great for all of these.

Coming from the person who's first phone was a Keybo 2 (not to be mistaken with the Key series), and loves the feel of pushing buttons, I understand that it is unlikely that BlackBerry will release another Priv. But I also believe that there are improvements to be made on the current design. So, though a pipe dream it is, dream I shall regardless.
    05-08-19 02:10 PM
    That isn't out yet, but it may be worth considering in the coming years. At this moment, the best phone for me is the Priv, as a daily driver.

When I first saw it in a Telus store (I'm Canadian, so all our major retailers sold it), I thought it was the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes upon.

When I'm out of the house, I usually only have time to check my text messages, make a call, and maybe play a game in the waiting room. Sometimes I like to idly stroke the back of the phone when I'm relaxing. I've never had a phone before, that I would find myself stroking it! For someone who wants a tactile productive device, the Priv is great for all of these.

Coming from the person who's first phone was a Keybo 2 (not to be mistaken with the Key series), and loves the feel of pushing buttons, I understand that it is unlikely that BlackBerry will release another Priv. But I also believe that there are improvements to be made on the current design. So, though a pipe dream it is, dream I shall regardless.
    Some have even suggested taking the exact design of the Priv and updating the processor and adding 1GB of RAM as well as USB-C and they would buy it in an instant... and me included!
    05-08-19 03:28 PM
    would love it, but TCL couldn't make it without incredible cost to the consumer, so they will skip it. a shame, love my Priv
    05-08-19 10:00 PM
    Some have even suggested taking the exact design of the Priv and updating the processor and adding 1GB of RAM as well as USB-C and they would buy it in an instant... and me included!
    Those are good suggestions. But it would take a bit more than that. On the surface, the main selling point to the non-target audience was the Schneider - Kreuznach, which a lot of reviewers believed fell short of what was expected of the lens company.

They'll need more lenses now, to compete with the Key Series, if not the other flagships. I would also expect Gorrilla Glass 5 or higher, whatever is relevant at the time, or even sapphire or diamond if the really want a reason to jack the price up.

This device would need to be very premium, with a short print and a premium target audience. If such a phone were to exist, I wouldn't want it to be in my price range.
    05-09-19 10:42 AM
64 123