Ya however your arguments are on what the Priv is and not what it's successor has the potential to be with some well thought out execution against lessons learnt.

The Priv even with all its well documented short comings was, IMO an excellent device that was more so a victim of a ****ty SoC at the time and even worst pricing.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't get a reboot. In fact, I would be the first in line to purchase a Priv if all BlackBerry Mobile did was update its internals i.e. SoC, RAM, front and rear cameras etc. I still love the look of the device and typing on it was never a balancing act for me.
    Plus come on, in a sea of slabs sliding up that huge screen to reveal a capacitive touch keyboard was pretty freaking awesome!
    02-21-19 06:54 PM
    Plus come on, in a sea of slabs sliding up that huge screen to reveal a capacitive touch keyboard was pretty freaking awesome!
    The price includes profit, if enough devices are sold. Even if it had the vastly improved SOC, it wouldn’t matter. It would cost more than Key2 and this makes it hard sell for many prospects. It failed as niche of a niche as the biggest cause... I’ve owned Torch 9800 and 9810 plus the PRIV and the “attempt to be everything “ ends up as “fail to be anything “ from sales perspective.
    02-21-19 09:22 PM
    The price includes profit, if enough devices are sold. Even if it had the vastly improved SOC, it wouldn’t matter. It would cost more than Key2 and this makes it hard sell for many prospects. It failed as niche of a niche as the biggest cause... I’ve owned Torch 9800 and 9810 plus the PRIV and the “attempt to be everything “ ends up as “fail to be anything “ from sales perspective.
    Guess you missed this little blurb in my previous post.

"The Priv even with all its well documented short comings was, IMO an excellent device that was more so a victim of a ****ty SoC at the time and even worst pricing"

Emphasis on pricing. The next variation of the Priv (if ever to see the light of day) has to overcome two glaring obstacles.

1) It needs to have the right combination specs. Not the latest and greatest because with horse power comes trade offs like battery life, endurance. So the right pairing of specs for performance, duration and functionality are key.

2) Pricing. You need to get within that One+ or lower range of handsets. I'm sorry, but the vast majority of the population could give a **** about security, so all you got going for you is being an alternative to the norm and a PKB that slides out from under a screen. Unless your pricing to offering ratio is extremely competitive, you ain't selling squat!
    Gene Fells likes this.
    02-21-19 10:15 PM
    Guess you missed this little blurb in my previous post.

"The Priv even with all its well documented short comings was, IMO an excellent device that was more so a victim of a ****ty SoC at the time and even worst pricing"

Emphasis on pricing. The next variation of the Priv (if ever to see the light of day) has to overcome two glaring obstacles.

1) It needs to have the right combination specs. Not the latest and greatest because with horse power comes trade offs like battery life, endurance. So the right pairing of specs for performance, duration and functionality are key.

2) Pricing. You need to get within that One+ or lower range of handsets. I'm sorry, but the vast majority of the population could give a **** about security, so all you got going for you is being an alternative to the norm and a PKB that slides out from under a screen. Unless your pricing to offering ratio is extremely competitive, you ain't selling squat!
    As I said, Key2 specs with higher price than Key2 since the slider has additional components....that’s whether or not it has 8XX or 6XX SOC....

That response deals with both of your questions.... No BBMo device can or will ever compete on price since it can’t be a mass produced device in the low quantity demand of the slider hardware.

That’s why a PRIV2 won’t see the light of day...
    02-21-19 10:22 PM
    I have used the PRIV for about 2 years now.
    (start breathing again, it's true). Imo most people don't even give themselves a chance to get used to a cellphone! They seem to need a new one every six months or less.
    It turned out that the slider keyboard was/is just perfect for me. I even prefer it to my computer's.
    Why do we need all the latest gimmicks? What difference do 25g make? Drag your pants down?
    Please, BlackBerry Mobile, come up with a PRIV2.
    PRIVuser2018 likes this.
    02-24-19 11:14 AM
    I have used the PRIV for about 2 years now.
    (start breathing again, it's true). Imo most people don't even give themselves a chance to get used to a cellphone! They seem to need a new one every six months or less.
    It turned out that the slider keyboard was/is just perfect for me. I even prefer it to my computer's.
    Why do we need all the latest gimmicks? What difference do 25g make? Drag your pants down?
    Please, BlackBerry Mobile, come up with a PRIV2.
    If you ever want to see a PRIV 2, go buy a Key2 LE now, preferably through VZW if possible. If another carrier sees VZW have success, maybe another carrier sells the Key2 or Key2 LE and then comes a Key3 or Key3 LE sold by carriers and so on. If enough volume, perhaps, we'll see another slider as more expensive niche device if carriers support the device.....In 2019, you won’t see a niche OEM making a niche device make a further sub niche. It would cannabilize their Key# sales.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-24-19 12:48 PM
    What difference do 25g make? Drag your pants down?
    Lulz, you think the main reason to avoid the Priv is because it's 24g heavier than a KEY2 ?

How about, the fact that the Priv has THE WORST PROCESSOR as far as battery life and speed goes, even for fairly basic tasks such as, say, Web browsing and GPS navigation?

I owned 5 Priv's, tweaked them extensively and even swapped out two of them's batteries for OEM ones, and guess what? It's still not a reliable enough phone. Period.

Why is that? Because BlackBerry ltd didn't care enough for their first device running on "Google" to even bother getting a capable CPU while in the R&D process.
    02-24-19 03:18 PM
    Lulz, you think the main reason to avoid the Priv is because it's 24g heavier than a KEY2 ?

How about, the fact that the Priv has THE WORST PROCESSOR as far as battery life and speed goes, even for fairly basic tasks such as, say, Web browsing and GPS navigation?

I owned 5 Priv's, tweaked them extensively and even swapped out two of them's batteries for OEM ones, and guess what? It's still not a reliable enough phone. Period.

Why is that? Because BlackBerry ltd didn't care enough for their first device running on "Google" to even bother getting a capable CPU while in the R&D process.
    I'm pretty sure the point was that a lot of people would gladly accept a 24g heavier phone for the larger screen made possible by a slider. Obviously a PRIV² would not be coming with a SD 808.
    02-24-19 08:58 PM
    I'm pretty sure the point was that a lot of people would gladly accept a 24g heavier phone for the larger screen made possible by a slider. Obviously a PRIV² would not be coming with a SD 808.
    SD670 6/128 black or silver for $899 and red for $999..... limited run...

Of a dozen
    02-24-19 09:55 PM
    Right, I would also accept the heavier weight to due to more complex design.

But it's pretty obvious that an LE (which I'm typing this on now) brings a more comfortable typing experience over a slider that's top heavy when opened.

The only advantage the Priv has over the LE is the capacitive keyboard.
    02-24-19 10:18 PM
    Right, I would also accept the heavier weight to due to more complex design.

But it's pretty obvious that an LE (which I'm typing this on now) brings a more comfortable typing experience over a slider that's top heavy when opened.

You forgot the handwarmer feature...
    02-24-19 10:21 PM

Yes, the PRIV didn't have the best keyboard, but until another slider is attempted, we'll never know if it's due to the slider or just a bad experiment.

The PRIV is NOT top heavy, many users and YouTubers agree on that. There's no reason to believe that a successor or go backwards on that.

The PRIV may not have offer significant benefits on the keyboard, but the UX benefits are obvious. At any given body size, you'd get a much bigger screen with the slider.
    02-25-19 07:05 AM
    All I know is I would buy another PRIV if I could. Getting a battery for mine next week. Always loved the big screen and slide out keyboard. I use it for my personal phone. Had to give up my work cell which was a Blackberry Classic and went with the Key2 which has been OK for my business needs. But still prefer the PRIV for the screen when watching sports apps.
    03-29-19 07:47 PM
    If the PRIV 2 comes with a Dual SIM, that would be my new phone.
    04-21-19 06:03 AM
    If the PRIV 2 comes with a Dual SIM, that would be my new phone.
    Really, you want a PRIV 2 and dual SIM also? Flagship specs too and priced at $199 without contract?

Seriously, now you see why there won’t be other forms than PKB with BBMo hardware.
    04-21-19 07:36 PM
    Really, you want a PRIV 2 and dual SIM also? Flagship specs too and priced at $199 without contract?

Seriously, now you see why there won’t be other forms than PKB with BBMo hardware.
    I purchased my PRIV from BB full price and replaced it with a Samsung S8+ Duos. I needed an extra line for travel. If there is a PRIV 2 Dual SIM, I would have paid about the price of what I paid for my S8+ or a little more than the original PRIV. I do not expect to pay $199 for this.
    04-21-19 07:42 PM
    I purchased my PRIV from BB full price and replaced it with a Samsung S8+ Duos. I needed an extra line for travel. If there is a PRIV 2 Dual SIM, I would have paid about the price of what I paid for my S8+ or a little more than the original PRIV. I do not expect to pay $199 for this.
    I was being facetious but the reality is you'd pay at least a 25% premium over a current Android Flagship with the PRIV 2 sporting two year old specs.
    04-21-19 08:07 PM
    I was being facetious but the reality is you'd pay at least a 25% premium over a current Android Flagship with the PRIV 2 sporting two year old specs.
    Why 2 year old specs? Let's put in a S4 Pro like the Z30 had. This hatred for a PRIV successor is getting silly.

The BlackBerry tax is real, it applies to the Key series too.
    04-21-19 08:19 PM
    If I pay for 25% more than the current flagship, I would expect it to have the latest software and the uptodate specs. However, I would wait a little before I buy. My son purchased a Key with screen falling off when it first came out.
    04-21-19 08:22 PM
    If I pay for 25% more than the current flagship, I would expect it to have the latest software and the uptodate specs. However, I would wait a little before I buy. My son purchased a Key with screen falling off when it first came out.
    That's why you'll never see a PRIV 2, BBMo doesn't have the scale and resources to competitively offer a VKB flagship let alone a niche of a niche slider form.
    04-21-19 08:29 PM
    I use the KEYᵒⁿᵉ which is devoid of heat and lag but at the price of a miserably small and dull display... I suppose I am waiting for the unicorns to come to life... i want/need PKB and the Priv was far superior for my use.
    04-22-19 04:10 PM
    I suppose we had to wait a long time for the priv after the tourch while blackberry lost their market to slabs.so I suppose there is not much hope now. Long live priv while it can
    04-22-19 04:42 PM
    i still use the priv.

at the beggining was something different to type, but after a week or so, it became second nature.

i dont see any problems with the pryv. would love a priv2. instant buy
    mrdeeds_72 likes this.
    05-01-19 12:05 PM
    The cost of a PRIV 2 would be a determining factor. If it's more than the Key2, likely not.
    05-01-19 02:26 PM
    The cost of a PRIV 2 would be a determining factor. If it's more than the Key2, likely not.
    Well there's no doubt it'd be more than Key2 since it would cost more and be a much smaller production run. That's what also cements the permanence there will be no PRIV2 ultimately.
    Troy Tiscareno and mrdeeds_72 like this.
    05-01-19 09:03 PM
67 123