Does anyone think that TCL will bring out a successor to the priv
    02-12-19 03:40 PM
    Not I.
    02-12-19 08:31 PM
    Not I.
    A hundred unicorns just died.......
    02-12-19 09:08 PM
    It would be BlackBerry's (RIM, BBMo, whatever) biggest mistake ever to not make a successor to the PRIV.
    02-12-19 09:35 PM
    It would be BlackBerry's (RIM, BBMo, whatever) biggest mistake ever to not make a successor to the PRIV.
    BBMo does its research. They don't want to take a bath on that form factor.
    02-13-19 01:52 AM
    yes , next device will be a slider.
    02-13-19 05:47 AM
    Let's hope so.

Because the Key-Series is too redundant imho.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-19 06:00 AM
    Let's hope so.

Because the Key-Series is too redundant imho.

Posted via CB10
    From 2002-2012, BB primarily made PKB devices except for Storm and Torch lines. The redundancy is because the BB name is synonymous with PKB and the other form styles appear to lose money. The biggest selling form style, the VKB sells better for everyone but whenever BB makes one, it flops.
    02-13-19 06:16 AM
    While I don't see it happening so soon, I too wouldn't mind a slider from them.

However, if KEY3 loses the capacitive buttons in favor of more screen (funky aspect ratio I know), and said screen is AMOLED, then there wouldn't be much left going for the Priv, aside from that amazing grippy back texture, and unibody keyboard
    02-13-19 09:05 AM
    While I don't see it happening so soon, I too wouldn't mind a slider from them.

However, if KEY3 loses the capacitive buttons in favor of more screen (funky aspect ratio I know), and said screen is AMOLED, then there wouldn't be much left going for the Priv, aside from that amazing grippy back texture, and unibody keyboard
    The PRIV will still have the same thing going for it that it does now: a big screen and keyboard that's only there when you need it.
    PHughes likes this.
    02-13-19 11:31 AM
    The PRIV will still have the same thing going for it that it does now: a big screen and keyboard that's only there when you need it.
    Right, but a KEY3 with even more shaved top bezel and a screen that actually goes down to the top row of the keyboard would get closer to the Priv's 16:9 ratio, which isn't bad for a device with a fixed keyboard and this would maintain the same balance in the hand as the current KEY devices, of which the LE is best at, imo.
    02-13-19 12:44 PM
    Right, but a KEY3 with even more shaved top bezel and a screen that actually goes down to the top row of the keyboard would get closer to the Priv's 16:9 ratio, which isn't bad for a device with a fixed keyboard and this would maintain the same balance in the hand as the current KEY devices, of which the LE is best at, imo.
    I won't settle for a phone that's 19:9 in my pocket with a 16:9 screen. A small bezel PRIV² could have a screen 19:9 if the equivalent Key3 has a 16:9 screen, without taking up more space in the pocket.

To each their own, but the advantage of a slider is blindingly obvious, no matter how you try to hide it.
    02-13-19 06:37 PM
    To each their own, but the advantage of a slider is blindingly obvious, no matter how you try to hide it.
    So are the disadvantages: weight, added failure point, mis-matched elevation (keyboard lower than screen), top heavy when typing.

Until I went back to the pkb standard form factor, I had forgotten how enjoyable typing was.
    02-13-19 06:54 PM
    So are the disadvantages: weight, added failure point, mis-matched elevation (keyboard lower than screen), top heavy when typing.

Until I went back to the pkb standard form factor, I had forgotten how enjoyable typing was.
    Weight: the Priv is less than 30g heavier than the Key2
    Added failure point: true.
    Mis-matched elevation: now you're grasping at straws, it's a non-issue or even advantage; people complain about hitting the home button while scrolling with the keyboard on the Key devices.
    Top heavy: every YouTube reviewer agreed the PRIV isn't top-heavy.
    02-13-19 07:35 PM
    Mis-matched elevation: now you're grasping at straws, it's a non-issue or even advantage; people complain about hitting the home button while scrolling with the keyboard on the Key devices.
    I used a Priv for almost a year, so I'm not just blowing smoke. 15% more weight is not insignificant, and top-heaviness is simply physics.

But, of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and personal preferences.
    02-13-19 07:48 PM
    It will also have the one thing going against it which still is not enough buyers...
    the_boon and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-13-19 08:41 PM
    I would prefer a blackberry style type device (the flip phone) instead of PRIV. Foldable phones are supposedly going to be very popular and seeing a blackberry flip phone again would be very cool.
    02-13-19 09:22 PM
    Until sales are at the level where TCL feels comfortable I doubt they are willing to experiment with any formfactor other than the KEY series. The lack of a successor to the Motion says a lot.
    02-14-19 11:55 AM
    The LE at 156g has MUCH better weight and balance in the hand than the KEYone which weighs 180g.

So you can imagine how much better the LE is than the Priv which is at 192g, and that's not taking into account the top heaviness when the keyboard is open.
    PHughes likes this.
    02-14-19 12:54 PM
    I won't settle for a phone that's 19:9 in my pocket with a 16:9 screen. A small bezel PRIV² could have a screen 19:9 if the equivalent Key3 has a 16:9 screen, without taking up more space in the pocket.

And you have a cleaner and less worn pkb.
    PRIVuser2018 and bqik like this.
    02-14-19 12:58 PM

Until I went back to the slider form factor, I had forgotten how enjoyable a big screen was.
    PRIVuser2018, PHughes and bqik like this.
    02-14-19 01:00 PM
    Until I went back to the slider form factor, I had forgotten how enjoyable a big screen was.
    That’s agreed. I prefer my KEYone for actual PKB typing activity like email or text. Stuff that requires a browser or apps, social media and such, the VKB just makes sense. For that I use an iPad or my XR but the point is some kind of VKB is preferred...

With the PRIV, it was always more cumbersome than single form device in use. I dual carry and 10% of time, slider was beneficial. Other 90%, it was PKB or VKB preferred and more use specificity.... the slider feels like a minivan...
    02-14-19 01:21 PM
    And you have a cleaner and less worn pkb.
    Meh, the only thing the Priv's PKB got right was that it's unibody (and capacitive sensors were awesome)
    02-14-19 02:25 PM
    A hundred unicorns just died.......
    OMG!!!! This was classic!
    02-21-19 06:30 PM

Ya however your arguments are on what the Priv is and not what it's successor has the potential to be with some well thought out execution against lessons learnt.

The Priv even with all its well documented short comings was, IMO an excellent device that was more so a victim of a ****ty SoC at the time and even worst pricing.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't get a reboot. In fact, I would be the first in line to purchase a Priv if all BlackBerry Mobile did was update its internals i.e. SoC, RAM, front and rear cameras etc. I still love the look of the device and typing on it was never a balancing act for me.
    irishcorker and liddonfew like this.
    02-21-19 06:47 PM
67 123