07-29-18 09:53 AM
154 123 ...
tools
    Hi everyone,

We all know smart phone makers normally upgrad their flagship devices year in year out . Eg note 5 became note 7 , z5 became the xz , m9 became htc 10 etc.

Point I'm getting at is can't blackberry also make a priv 2?

There's so much to improve on this device with regards to hardware and software wise that I know blackberry can do.

Examples ? VR headset , fingerprint scanner , iris scanner , bigger battery , improve base storage to 64 gb, gorrila glass 5 , improve keyboard tactility , redefine blackberry launcher like samsung has touchwiz. Integrate the hub like Samsung did with flipboard by swiping left. (I know lots of bb10 guys not investing in blackdroid due to that).

Bottom line with some sd 801 devices not being promised nougat upgrades I'm just worried about the longevity of the 808.

I'd like the priv to be a full multimedia capable device just as much a email thrashing chat networking device.

If blackberry are going to compete in the mobile industry they need to stop going in half heartedly and cutting corners. Give it their all and if they fail then they fail.

Guys can slate me but I'm just 22 years old and while I am a finance professional that needs things to get done , I'm still a young guy.

I'd like to see the age demographic that blackberry appeals to.

Just my 5 cents worth , and because the priv forum has been dead for a while.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv powered by Blackdroid
    09-06-16 07:43 AM
    I don't think we are going to see any more >$700 devices from BlackBerry.
    Norg, bakron1, Sairos and 9 others like this.
    09-06-16 07:47 AM
    808 is one generation after 801. Nexus 5X runs Nougat afaik and so can Priv.

For all I care, they can go the Apple route and make a Priv 2 next year identical to the first one with a new SoC, Snapdragon 830 or whatever its name will be, and 6 GB of RAM, maybe more internal storage if it would fit. Everything else is more than good enough as it is. The only thing I care about is having a high-end(ish) phone with a slide-out physical keyboard.

I don't need or want any fingerprint or iris scanners on my phone.

Concerning software, I'm sure they'll continue updating it and adding new features. Not that I miss much as it is.
    dawnjc79, andy957, Nels and 5 others like this.
    09-06-16 08:03 AM
    I strongly doubt Blackberry will make a Priv 2.
    Z10 sold MILLIONS more and they never made a successor for it. In fact we never got a successor to any model BB10 device. We got 9 unique devices in just 2 years... 10 if you count the P9983. The closest we got to a successor was the Z3 (downgrade from Z30) and Leap (rehash of the Z3). Although... they keep doing the least logical things so maybe. Probably try and sell it for $1000 and wait for an economic downturn to release it.
    Person421 likes this.
    09-06-16 08:17 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry has a hardware team left to design and build a new phone. Only way would be for them to hand off the Priv design to a third party and let them do it but no one would be interested in a low volume device. Hence, don't hold your breath waiting.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    09-06-16 08:44 AM
    I strongly doubt Blackberry will make a Priv 2.
    Z10 sold MILLIONS more and they never made a successor for it. In fact we never got a successor to any model BB10 device. We got 9 unique devices in just 2 years... 10 if you count the P9983. The closest we got to a successor was the Z3 (downgrade from Z30) and Leap (rehash of the Z3). Although... they keep doing the least logical things so maybe. Probably try and sell it for $1000 and wait for an economic downturn to release it.
    Lots of people say the Z30 was the all touch follow-on from the Z10; bigger battery, better processors, slightly bigger screen, AMOLED, better speakers, more functionality, etc
    09-06-16 08:55 AM
    808 is one generation after 801. Nexus 5X runs Nougat afaik and so can Priv.

For all I care, they can go the Apple route and make a Priv 2 next year identical to the first one with a new SoC, Snapdragon 830 or whatever its name will be, and 6 GB of RAM, maybe more internal storage if it would fit. Everything else is more than good enough as it is. The only thing I care about is having a high-end(ish) phone with a slide-out physical keyboard.

I don't need or want any fingerprint or iris scanners on my phone.

Concerning software, I'm sure they'll continue updating it and adding new features. Not that I miss much as it is.
    I think that's just a brilliant idea,

Keep the form factor and improve hardware which makes absolute sense.

09-06-16 08:56 AM
    I don't think we are going to see any more >$700 devices from BlackBerry.
    Never say never
    In a couple of years things may change and they could release a $700 phone. Although I wouldn't want them to.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    dretep likes this.
    09-06-16 09:01 AM
    Lots of people say the Z30 was the all touch follow-on from the Z10; bigger battery, better processors, slightly bigger screen, AMOLED, better speakers, more functionality, etc
    I have never heard that before. If they made a smaller version maybe. They were also released only 6 months apart and were both in production simultaneously.
    09-06-16 09:09 AM
    I think that's just a brilliant idea,

Keep the form factor and improve hardware which makes absolute sense.

Thank you.

Well, there were several generations of BB Bold, weren't there? Why do you guys think it's so impossible that they do the same with Priv?
    I know it's at best questionable considering the current state of BB hardware division, but the thing is that if they would keep the Priv 2 similar to Priv, it wouldn't require so large an investment as developing something from scratch would.

And it would make some of us very happy customers.
    tazcubed and dretep like this.
    09-06-16 09:23 AM
    Nope, i don't think BBRY will ever make a successor to the PRIV. The next BB phones will just be either the full touch OR the PKB + touch, i doubt BBRY will ever launch a "hybrid" phone like the PRIV.

But for the Nougat, I'm confident the PRIV will be in the queue of getting it when all the necessary developments have been fulfilled and it's ready to be pushed. Yeah, it's running the SD 808 which is a slight fix of the notorious 810 but the spec and the hardware capabilities are still within the basis of the current Android development basics.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-06-16 09:46 AM
    Nope, i don't think BBRY will ever make a successor to the PRIV. The next BB phones will just be either the full touch OR the PKB + touch, i doubt BBRY will ever launch a "hybrid" phone like the PRIV.

But for the Nougat, I'm confident the PRIV will be in the queue of getting it when all the necessary developments have been fulfilled and it's ready to be pushed. Yeah, it's running the SD 808 which is a slight fix of the notorious 810 but the spec and the hardware capabilities are still within the basis of the current Android development basics.

Don't give them bad ideas. Some of us like our screen estate and the ability to see a big part of the conversation or an internet page as much as we like our PKBs so sliders are the best of both worlds.

There's no reason why Priv couldn't run Nougat. I guess it's just a matter of time needed to prepare the update. If BlackBerry hasn't given up on updates, and I hope they haven't. If they prove they can provide proper support for their devices (so far they're doing well) and give me a new PKB slider every few years, me and BlackBerry will become very good friends
    Sigewif, Bay 13 and rfin16 like this.
    09-06-16 10:05 AM
    There's so much to improve on this device with regards to hardware and software wise that I know blackberry can do.
    For starters they can improve on the sales figures. If that happens, it will mean more of the same ... DTEK50 style devices and if we are lucky PKB devices. It will be some time before we see any more niche handsets like the Priv or Passport.
    09-06-16 10:24 AM
    I just think blackberry should not leave the priv as half finished,

The priv gained a lot of hype and it needs to raise a true flagship that defines blackberry, samsung has the note , lg has the G range , htc has there range , sony has the new X range .

Blackberry has nothing. The priv can get people talking , if done right. If one plus can make a stellar flagship at a decent price , I think blackberry can use the priv as it's base. If not the priv then what?

Blackberry need a more aggressive mobile development division. There's so much potential.

Now that they have entered into the android world, people only care about specs, it's a specs race at the top of it and the mid range is absolutely flooded thanks to guys like xiaomi, meizu , alcatel and all those other jokers.

What hurt me the most was we didn't get an android passport and I absolutely LOVED that phone with my life! The only reason I sold it was because of the whatsapp and facebook debacle that hit me.

If not the priv then atleast a full touch device , but something , rather than hitting the reset button every time a device doesn't cut it.

Just my 5 cents.

09-06-16 10:38 AM
    I just think blackberry should not leave the priv as half finished,
    Just my 5 cents.
    There is nothing wrong with having a wish list, as long as one does not pass on good things while waiting for something that may never come. You may like the PKB device more than you like the Priv.
    09-06-16 10:52 AM
    You know. I've never been concerned with the internals of a phone as long as it did what it was meant to do during my day to day within a reasonable amount of seconds.

The things that matter to me are the things I rely on my phone the most for.

1) longer battery life. Nothing wrong with the Priv today but more juice is always appreciated.
    2) Better speakers. I was spoiled rotten with the Z30 speakers, so now I just expect it out of any premium device.
    3) Better front facing camera. This is more of a nice to have request but probably the lowest on the priority scale.

The rest of my grips are all software related and can easily be fixed through further development.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    rt2567 likes this.
    09-06-16 12:09 PM
    I doubt that they will release any time soon any successor of ther Priv because of the very poor sales result.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    09-06-16 12:49 PM
    I think it would be a great idea. Having series of devices, called 1, 2 etc, brings more attention to the series and gives it momentum. With that being said, we long waited for a Passport 2 and it never came. So i'd be surprised for a Priv 2, even though I like the idea.

Posted via CB10
    Mirko935 likes this.
    09-06-16 01:44 PM
    They first need to get a successful device out. The main reason to keep the same name is that the branding has value. For example, the name "iPhone" has tremendous value... thus by using the same name on multiple devices is worth it. Not sure that the "Priv" has anything near that.
    09-06-16 02:04 PM
    All I want is a device that is something of an upgrade so that I can get one direct and not feel like I'm spending a lot of money to get the exact same phone I have now, but with newer software.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-06-16 02:23 PM
    Argon will hopefully be successor to the Priv.

09-06-16 02:48 PM
    I have had a BB for oh so long. I use the Priv and the AT&T ver of the passport. I like my passport more than the Priv but I do not think they will do an upgrade to the Priv They will just make a whole new phone. Heck the DTEK50 is a downgrade of the Priv IMO. So I am not thinking a Priv 2 is around the corner
    andy957 likes this.
    09-06-16 02:57 PM
    Argon will hopefully be successor to the Priv.

When is that due out?
    09-06-16 02:57 PM
    When is that due out?
    Between November and never.
    09-06-16 03:43 PM
    I think we will see 1 more phone from BlackBerry a keyboard style mid-range android, most likely similar in design to the Classic, although I would MUCH prefer a design similar to the Passport!
    lang007 likes this.
    09-06-16 03:47 PM
154 123 ...