I believe that encryption alone is a large part of the occasional sluggishness and stuttering. Want proof? Go into your settings app and tap storage, look how insanely long it takes to populate the system storage volumes. My htc one m7 populates it almost instantaneously.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    q335r49 likes this.
    12-09-15 01:52 AM
    Ahahahahahahahahaha

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 02:39 AM
    I'm just saying it should be a choice.

The way I see it there are 3 groups that would buy the priv:

1. Android fans who want a quality physical keyboard with near top of the line specs and screen (by far the largest group in my opinion - which is also the group encryption probably matters the least to and performance is incredibly important for this group as well)

2. People who value the BlackBerry way of doing things....a lot here would probably refer to this group as people who value productivity but also want all the benefits that come with android and to have the most recent BlackBerry device (My group)

3. People who value security but aren't smart or we'll informed enough to buy a more secure phone.

Encryption by default hurts almost everyone in group one, some in group two, and group three probably wouldn't notice one way or another. So why default it to on and prevent us from disabling it?

Centerman66 and kbz1960 like this.
    12-09-15 02:55 AM
    Hahahahahahahahaha! LMAO!

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SE via CB10 (cricket OS 10.3.2.2474) вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv via CB for Android 2.0.3 (TMo OS Lollipop 5.1.1)
    12-09-15 03:25 AM
    It's like the seatbelt law. Don't tell me that I'm not allowed to make a risky choice because you know better. The potential benefits might be worth the risk to me

Xaiux likes this.
    12-09-15 03:46 AM

1. Android fans who want a quality physical keyboard with near top of the line specs and screen (by far the largest group in my opinion - which is also the group encryption probably matters the least to and performance is incredibly important for this group as well)

2. People who value the BlackBerry way of doing things....a lot here would probably refer to this group as people who value productivity but also want all the benefits that come with android and to have the most recent BlackBerry device (My group)

3. People who value security but aren't smart or we'll informed enough to buy a more secure phone.

Encryption by default hurts almost everyone in group one, some in group two, and group three probably wouldn't notice one way or another. So why default it to on and prevent us from disabling it?

This. It's funny, because I used to be a fairly heavy BB user back in the OS 5 and 6 days, and I don't remember this place being quite as full of the sorts of people that populate the third point's camp as it is now. Which, would explain the responses thus far in this thread. I'd say the majority of users here are from point 3, with less being about point 2, and even fewer from point 1. I mean, it only makes sense, those of us who know what we're doing wouldn't bother skulking around here.

But I digress. Personally, I haven't noticed encryption really causing much of any negative drawback, but I'll still agree. It's part of the Android ecosystem to allow users to do what they want with the OS. Preventing that only serves to distance yourself from the primary user base. I still have no idea why they bothered going this boastful highly secured and locked down route (despite it being very much not compared to other devices) as I'm certain the device would have been far better received if they'd have gone with proper Android culture.
    12-09-15 08:14 AM
    It shouldn't really impact performance as the cpu should have the AES instruction set. Odds are they still need to optimize the os build.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.2.2813
    xspiritdannyx and artemis-kun like this.
    12-09-15 08:18 AM
    It shouldn't really impact performance as the cpu should have the AES instruction set. Odds are they still need to optimize the os build.

Z30STA100-3/10.3.2.2813
    I took my htc one m7 and turned encryption on and notice similar lag

12-09-15 10:17 AM
    It's like the seatbelt law. Don't tell me that I'm not allowed to make a risky choice because you know better. The potential benefits might be worth the risk to me

Wow. That is a bad example.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 10:19 AM
    Apparently the AES instruction set isn't leveraged optimally in the base os until marshmallow but I am fighting a losing battle here anyway because Google is now mandating device encryption and secure boot on all handsets running marshmallow http://www.pcworld.com/article/29954...0-devices.html

12-09-15 10:20 AM
    I'll provide some perspective here.

I have a (pretty beefy) server here that among other things serves a public web page (Market-Ticker - The Market Ticker) that gets fairly heavy traffic. It runs with all partitions encrypted with FDE (FreeBSD for those who care, using geli)

"Back in the day" (e.g. 2008ish) enabling this was a performance murderer, because the processors in that machine had no AES instruction set. This was bad news even against spinning rust; against SSDs it was suicidal from a performance perspective.

With AES-NI instructions, however, this same machine (identical other than the CPUs on the board that I replaced when I was able to find two surplus and thus nicely-priced Xeon-series chips with AES instruction sets) sustains Gigabit-ethernet transport to and from the drives without any materially-measurable difference. Now granted, this is a fairly beefy machine but the comparison holds -- AES instructions render FDE a performance non-issue.

The issue actually comes from the realities of flash memory.

When it comes to flash while reads are very fast writes are not once the flash has been used since flash memory is block-aligned (that is, if the memory is organized in 4k blocks you must read in, erase and then re-write an entire 4k block to make a single-byte change. The reason for this is that NAND flash cannot write "1"s; you can only set a "1" by erasing and you can only erase in 4k block sizes. So to change an existing block of data you must read the entire block, erase it (which is relatively-speaking quite slow) and then write the entire 4k block back out.

Thus the first write to a block since the unit was fully erased is very fast irrespective of how much of the block is written. However, any subsequent write is very slow by comparison.

This is where the performance problems come from with flash-based storage. SSDs get around this by including a large RAM cache, collating writes (while delaying them until they are able to do so on a physical basis) and then doing them as a batch along with erasing "deleted" blocks in the background so the read/erase/write cycle doesn't have to be performed later (provided the OS tells the device a block is released with TRIM.)

That's great right up until the power goes off in the middle of those two things at which point you lose data; higher-end SSDs protect against that with a supercap that has enough energy to flush the entirety of the cache should power be lost.

Cellphones and other devices of this sort, along with SD cards, lack both the RAM buffering and the background erase and thus they cannot provide the sort of performance that an SSD can. On first write to a block they're fast but on subsequent writes to the same block they're quite slow, and while wear-leveling tends to spread this out somewhat it doesn't eliminate the problem by a long shot.

What you're seeing, in short, is not due to FDE.
    12-09-15 10:39 AM
    I believe that encryption alone is a large part of the occasional sluggishness and stuttering. Want proof? Go into your settings app and tap storage, look how insanely long it takes to populate the system storage volumes. My htc one m7 populates it almost instantaneously.

It's your device and/or particular OS along with BB's implementation of its current Android OS.

Don't blame encryption as a whole!

My Nexus 6P (Marshmallow) comes encrypted out of the box. No performance problems, no lags. I don't even notice it. In addition, I decided to encrypt my old Z30 10.3.2.). Same performance as before encryption. No performance degradation due to encryption (though it has other performance issues using android apps now).
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-09-15 11:48 AM

Stupidest comparison I've ever seen. Enjoy flying through your windshield lol
    12-09-15 11:55 AM

Seat belt law in the U.S. is not about taking your risk-taking choice away. It's actually about the health insurance lobby not wanting to pay for additional medical expenses.
    The law has nothing to do with helping you or your well-being. Simple economics and easy move to justify in terms of P.R. lol.

That a cynical theory lol

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2813 CB10 
    mithrazor and kbz1960 like this.
    12-09-15 12:29 PM

Only an ***** would operate a motor vehicle without using the seat belt.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    12-09-15 03:32 PM

Oh this little detail in law known as protection from unreasonable search and seizure. The exact wording varies by country if you have such protection.

12-09-15 03:34 PM
    Only an ***** would operate a motor vehicle without using the seat belt.

Depends on the vehicle

Posted via CB10
    12-09-15 03:56 PM

I thought encryption only is activated if you provide a PIN or other security lock.

12-09-15 04:13 PM
    I thought encryption only is activated if you provide a PIN or other security lock.

Priv's are encrypted out of the box no matter what.

Referring the the three groups post above, I'm most definitely in group 1.
    12-09-15 05:29 PM

Lol, your choice. But please no skin grafts or casts or other surgically operations that maybe needed from your choice that tax money has to be spent on.

You can pay all out of pocket for any consequences that may result

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    12-09-15 07:02 PM
    I know I am old, but I don't think children should be allowed in these forums.

gvs1341 and Jamie Wooten like this.
    12-09-15 07:14 PM
    Maybe it's just because I'm coming from a z10. But my priv is really fast. The only lag I've experienced is from the stock launcher. I fixed that by installing Nova. No lag and smooth as silk.

d a elliott likes this.
    12-09-15 07:15 PM
    iOS and Android encryption is enabled by default. They are just followers.
    12-09-15 07:23 PM

Only someone who isn't mature wouldn't wear a seat belt. I hope cars in the future won't function unless you have your seat belt on and the system is tamper proof.
    12-09-15 07:26 PM
    Depends on the vehicle
    You mean cars with 6-point harnesses?
    12-09-15 07:40 PM
54 123