Hi!
    I'm using Priv at this time and I have used it for more than 6 months. Priv is now becoming lagging (by some reasons I don't know) and I don't think it can obtain good mobile signal (I cannot make any call or receive any call in the elevator while my colleagues with other phones can).

Could you please help me to choose another phone to upgrade? BlackBerry KEYone or Motion? Or even another brand!

Your recommendations are very much appreciated! Many thanks!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-04-18 04:47 AM
    Priv is the best phone available (along with Passport) to make best sounding calls and receive best signal reception. As far as lag is concerned, please use the Apps that you absolutely need, and reduce or better still, remove all the animations under the Developer Mode. I think, that should suffice. Having said that doing a factory reset once before enabling these Settings should definitely help.

According to me, Priv is still the best BlackBerry available in terms of excellent form factor engineering, superior signal reception and overall call quality. If you're not a gamer, and follow the above steps, I think, you should still have some life in Priv.
    vptsff and mitchy_mitch like this.
    01-04-18 05:00 AM
    First of all ask yourself if you need a PKB. If the answer is yes, there is only one good option...
    If you don't need it, think about battery time vs performance. What do you need?. Best battery time is on K1 and Motion hands in this moment.
    If you want the best performance, leave BlackBerry. They are not on that fight. Go to Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi... if you want the best performance.
    Security wise, given that BlackBerry is not having a regular monthly updating schedule Samsung can be a good option too. They have the Knox thing and protected kernel. They update their flagships quite oftently and given OS upgrade history on Blackberry's devices, they are better on this area (if you own a Galaxy Swhatever or Note whatever).
    And if you have enough budget, consider and iPhone and you'll be covered both on security and upgrades areas.
    But let's be real, you have a Priv and like it. Get a KEYone Black edition and enjoy
    vptsff and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-04-18 05:13 AM
    thank you so much for your fast replies with your recommendations to improve the performance of Priv and also some alternatives for Priv too. I will wait to see, but it seems that the next phone I should not go for BlackBerry as other BlackBerry phones are not really designed for performance.
    01-04-18 05:55 AM
    thank you so much for your fast replies with your recommendations to improve the performance of Priv and also some alternatives for Priv too. I will wait to see, but it seems that the next phone I should not go for BlackBerry as other BlackBerry phones are not really designed for performance.
    Sure, if your requirements have changed and now performance is more important to you compared to the length of time you enjoyed the Priv. The Priv was never a performance device, in fact many would argue that it has been far from high performance since inception. If you in fact enjoyed the Priv's performance then the K1 or even Motion would be akin to very high performance to you anyway, and would keep you in the same user interface you have come to like in the Priv. My recommendation would be for you to try both devices first before moving away fm the BB/Android platform.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-06-18 03:06 AM
    Sure, if your requirements have changed and now performance is more important to you compared to the length of time you enjoyed the Priv. The Priv was never a performance device, in fact many would argue that it has been far from high performance since inception. If you in fact enjoyed the Priv's performance then the K1 or even Motion would be akin to very high performance to you anyway, and would keep you in the same user interface you have come to like in the Priv. My recommendation would be for you to try both devices first before moving away fm the BB/Android platform.
    Thank you so much.
    Those great members like you made me come back to this forum and part of it, keep me to use Blackberry. I think I am going to try K1 to see how good performance it is.
    Have a great day!
    01-06-18 03:29 AM
    I went from a PRIV to a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have no regrets. The P2XL performance is fantastic. You also know that you will get updates for 3 years, unlike tho priv with less than 2 years.
    Avenzuno and vptsff like this.
    01-06-18 10:02 PM
    I went from a PRIV to a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have no regrets. The P2XL performance is fantastic. You also know that you will get updates for 3 years, unlike tho priv with less than 2 years.
    Pixel 2 XL had quite some screen issues at launch, but it seems like a great slab, apart from battery life apparently.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-07-18 04:22 AM
    I thought about upgrading from Priv to KeyOne. But I see, the BlackBerry Mobiles also get security updates only sometimes. And as Conite says in another threat, as a BlackBerry Mobile user I am not a customer of BlackBerry and BlackBerry is only responsible for delivering the security updates to BlackBerry Moblie, I am really frustrated. There Is no help with a promised trade-up program from BlackBerry Priv to BlackBerry Moblie KeyOne.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-07-18 04:27 AM
    I thought about upgrading from Priv to KeyOne. But I see, the BlackBerry Mobiles also get security updates only sometimes. And as Conite says in another threat, as a BlackBerry Mobile user I am not a customer of BlackBerry and BlackBerry is only responsible for delivering the security updates to BlackBerry Moblie, I am really frustrated. There Is no help with a promised trade-up program from BlackBerry Priv to BlackBerry Moblie KeyOne.
    I just got my AT&T KEYone. It's great so far. I don't worry about the updates because carrier devices update slowly because of carrier. I did not choose factory unlocked since updates are small part of the overall device choice. In the old days of BB, purchasing through carrier was better for support too and better pricing because of contract discounts.
    01-07-18 06:06 AM
    Long hours talking on Passport leads to Wide Palm Syndrome. Especially if it ain't an At&T Passport. But the quality of the earphone & quad mic setup on a compatible network & the other caller using a Passport is something to experience.
    01-08-18 02:14 AM
    I moved from the Passport to the Priv and now to the OnePlus 5T. To keep your Priv running smoothly, make sure you clear your cache and data regularly. It is easy to do. Settings, storage, internal, clear cache if I remember correctly.

But the thing you must realize is your phone is over 2 years old as far as specs and design. There are many phones which outperformed it when it was new and a whole host that outperform it now.

If you don't want to spend high dollar for a Samsung S8 or Note 8 or Pixel 2, then OnePlus offers a great device. Fast, and with a very nice build quality. A good camera and an really nice version of Android. The company has done a very nice job updating the camera software and other improvements. I just downloaded the Oreo Beta the other day, but I hear the OTA Oreo has been released.

Can't go wrong with any of these phones.
    Last edited by newcollector; 01-09-18 at 06:19 AM.
    anon(9803228) and vptsff like this.
    01-08-18 11:13 AM
    I loved myPriv, but the keyboard on the K1 is far better, equally I like my time with the Motion die the the larger screen and the battery life.

If it’s time for Ebay or Cex exchange I’d go for the keyone , but it’s close
    vptsff likes this.
    01-08-18 01:04 PM
    Which do you use more OP? VKB or PKB? I'd base my decision on which form I use more.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-08-18 01:23 PM
    Pixel 2 XL had quite some screen issues at launch, but it seems like a great slab, apart from battery life apparently.
    Battery life is fantastic.
    01-08-18 10:28 PM
    Thank you so much.
    Those great members like you made me come back to this forum and part of it, keep me to use Blackberry. I think I am going to try K1 to see how good performance it is.
    Have a great day!
    Hey grab yourself a black Edition the extra gb of ram is worth the difference in price not to mention 64 gb internal
    Last edited by Carjackd; 01-08-18 at 11:56 PM.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-08-18 11:38 PM
    Hi!
    I'm using Priv at this time and I have used it for more than 6 months. Priv is now becoming lagging (by some reasons I don't know) and I don't think it can obtain good mobile signal (I cannot make any call or receive any call in the elevator while my colleagues with other phones can).

Could you please help me to choose another phone to upgrade? BlackBerry KEYone or Motion? Or even another brand!

Your recommendations are very much appreciated! Many thanks!
    if you need:
    - pkb: keyone. Nothing else. just make sure you got the variants that are regularly updated. speed-wise, as long as you don't use it to play graphic intensive game, i find the speed acceptable.
    - touch screen, and blackberry: motion
    - excellent audio: v30. Nothing else come close
    - pen: Note 8
    - camera: quite a lot in this one.. Note, V30, Huawei Mate series..
    - security: keyone..if you can find the regularly updated variant. Otherwise Samsung.
    - most regular update: pixel
    -
    01-09-18 12:33 AM
    Hiii,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
    I'm using only hard keyboard when typing long email. Most of the time with virtual keyboard.
    I am thinking of Samsung galaxy S7 because it is below 400 Eur now. Is it good?
    01-10-18 02:52 AM
    Hiii,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
    I'm using only hard keyboard when typing long email. Most of the time with virtual keyboard.
    I am thinking of Samsung galaxy S7 because it is below 400 Eur now. Is it good?
    The S7 is "meh" , I had it and I enjoy the Priv a he'll of a lot more.
    S7 will quickly start lagging due to TouchWiz, and it's battery will degrade.
    For 400€ you can already find used silver KEYone's by now (just DONT get anything built before July).
    But if Samsung is REALLY your thing, get S8 with Keyboard cover. It looks ugly as hell, but more satisfying to type on than glass
    vptsff likes this.
    01-10-18 03:04 AM
    The S7 is "meh" , I had it and I enjoy the Priv a he'll of a lot more.
    S7 will quickly start lagging due to TouchWiz, and it's battery will degrade.
    For 400€ you can already find used silver KEYone's by now (just DONT get anything built before July).
    But if Samsung is REALLY your thing, get S8 with Keyboard cover. It looks ugly as hell, but more satisfying to type on than glass
    Thank you so much.
    I won't buy S7 then. Let me check with the KeyOne.
    01-10-18 03:14 AM
    It seems OnePlus 5T is very fast.
    I am checking it!
    01-10-18 01:58 PM
    It seems OnePlus 5T is very fast.
    I am checking it!
    There are many phones that are gonna be faster than a Priv or KEYone (by a couple milliseconds). But the typing experience will be the same, so the question is this:

Just how badly do you want a physical keyboard?

If you really like the idea of pushing buttons and having something different, that actually gets you through a full day and some, I strongly recommend the KEYone black edition (skip the silver). It's quite an amazing phone, great battery life, productivity features, shortcuts etc...

Only go for a Priv if budget is tight, as they can be found brand new for just over 200€ right now. Be aware this this phone likely received its last security patch in October. If you can live with that, get one, optimize it for better battery life (many threads on this) and enjoy the only modern portrait slider smartphone, which gives you a full 16:9 amoled display and keys to type on.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-10-18 02:10 PM
    Changing your launcher can make a huge difference to your Android experience too. I switched from the Blackberry Launcher (first to the Microsoft Launcher, and now to Evie) and my phone experience has been much more stable and responsive.
    vptsff likes this.
    01-10-18 02:47 PM
    There are many phones that are gonna be faster than a Priv or KEYone (by a couple milliseconds). But the typing experience will be the same, so the question is this:

Just how badly do you want a physical keyboard?

If you really like the idea of pushing buttons and having something different, that actually gets you through a full day and some, I strongly recommend the KEYone black edition (skip the silver). It's quite an amazing phone, great battery life, productivity features, shortcuts etc...

Only go for a Priv if budget is tight, as they can be found brand new for just over 200€ right now. Be aware this this phone likely received its last security patch in October. If you can live with that, get one, optimize it for better battery life (many threads on this) and enjoy the only modern portrait slider smartphone, which gives you a full 16:9 amoled display and keys to type on.
    Honestly, I am using Physic keyboard more on my Passport. Since the day I am using Priv, I do not use it much as the Priv Physic keyboard made me frustrated many times by accidentally switching to special characters. So now, what I want is a phone with better performance: no laggy and fast response.
    My budget is around 500EUR.
    01-10-18 04:41 PM
    Changing your launcher can make a huge difference to your Android experience too. I switched from the Blackberry Launcher (first to the Microsoft Launcher, and now to Evie) and my phone experience has been much more stable and responsive.
    Thanks.
    I will try it by end of the week.
    01-10-18 04:41 PM
27 12