How old are nexus phones when they are no longer updated?
    The nexus 4 isn't getting the marshmallow update, so offhand, I'd say three years, but it probably varies a little with the specific hardware/software involved.

Edit: I should add that a couple of unofficial marshmallow ROMs have appeared for the nexus 4, but of course, BlackBerry's bootloader will be locked, and unofficial ROMs won't be possible.

Edit 2 (I know, WTF?): the nexus 4 will still get security updates on android 5.1, so my response was actually incorrect. I'm not sure how long those updates will continue.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-28-15 11:12 PM
    I didn't read the whole thread but has anyone looked at a list of the new features in marshmallow?

NOT really earth shattering. But then, I still think BB10 is pretty great, so consider the source.

Nonetheless, it probably is a necessity as the hoi paloi already considers android to be a concession behind iOS, and anything labeled Blackberry to be an even greater concession.

Chen had better get to work on marshmallow.

Posted via the CrackBerry App.
    10-29-15 12:38 AM
    I didn't read the whole thread but has anyone looked at a list of the new features in marshmallow?

NOT really earth shattering. But then, I still think BB10 is pretty great, so consider the source.
    Noted. Source considered.
    10-29-15 01:00 AM
    Why people are obsessed with fingerprint recognition? Somebody could unlock your device while sleeping....

Posted from my sexy Z10
    just because iphones have it don't mean its not a gimmick my god ppl and iphones ............imo I think its a gimmick and not interested in fingerprint scanner and it wouldn't stop me getting a phone with out one
    10-29-15 01:40 AM

Nonetheless, it probably is a necessity as the hoi paloi already considers android to be a concession behind iOS, and anything labeled Blackberry to be an even greater concession.

Chen had better get to work on marshmallow.

Posted via the CrackBerry App.
    MM is light years ahead of LP. Period.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-29-15 05:38 AM
    You can change a password, you can't change a fingerprint.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 06:45 AM
    You can change a password, you can't change a fingerprint.

Posted via CB10
    you can, you have 10 fingerprints in your hands
    anon4226395, mister2d and Mecca EL like this.
    10-29-15 10:06 AM
    just because iphones have it don't mean its not a gimmick my god ppl and iphones ............imo I think its a gimmick and not interested in fingerprint scanner and it wouldn't stop me getting a phone with out one
    NFC was a gimmick for them until Apple put it on iPhones. Then suddenly NFC and Apple Pay became the most essential and revolutionary ideas ever.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-29-15 08:14 PM
    Hey! Did you ever consider the possibility that Apples success with all these "gimmicks" might have something to do with the fact that they were the first to actually get them to work well.

Posted via CB on my BB Passport
    10-29-15 09:23 PM
    Hey! Did you ever consider the possibility that Apples success with all these "gimmicks" might have something to do with the fact that they were the first to actually get them to work well.

Posted via CB on my BB Passport
    Thats the secret of Apple: integration . A whole list of features were first on on other platforms whether in actual phone models or ROMS but Apple waits until technology (bought the company with Touch ID tech) or partners are ready and then the whole hardware/OS/media splash is unleashed.
    10-29-15 09:32 PM
    And MS Lumia 950 is launching with Windows Hello, with retina recognition. Pull up your phone and glance at it, and it unlocks.

'Tis true about flagships.

Not only does BB need to commit to a date for Android 6, that date needs to be before Android 7 comes out.
    BlackBerry has this already. Many ways to unlock your phone by just grabbing it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:32 PM
    I don't see how fingerprint scanner is anything. I don't think anyone cares about it really. And I'm a 24 year kid from Miami, I know what's "hip."

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 10:34 PM
    How did this turn into a fingerprint thread. We have that already.
    10-30-15 12:54 PM
    MM is light years ahead of LP. Period.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Uhh, Marshmallow was a stability release more than anything. Yes, they added more features, like Doze, etc but it's essentially the same.
    Don't read too much into the version number change from 5.x to 6.x, they 'have' to do that every year anyway.
    10-30-15 01:18 PM
    I don't believe BlackBerry has to answer anything that relates to the OS seeing how they are only providing a few apps, security and hardware. If anything, we should be asking Google when OS updates will be released. Just my take.

Posted via CB10
    thats not how it works on android google provides the files to the vendors and its up to them to apply and send the updates whether over the air or computer plug in by usb.
    10-30-15 01:33 PM
    Most phones are still haunches with 5.0. Remember that HUB and other things are integrated in the OS.
    From my experience over the last week I would say it is barely intergrated. It sits on top of Android like a fancy notification center and nothing more. It is not the Hub you know from BB10 by a long shot. It only really handles email. When you tap any other message like Twitter or SMS it opens a different app. Some apps do not intergrate like Whatsapp so when you hear a message tone you check the hub and see nothing and have to check the stock Android notification center. At best Hub is pretty useless. At worst its hugely annoying for the reason just described.
    RezzaBuh likes this.
    10-30-15 01:37 PM
    From my experience over the last week I would say it is barely intergrated. It sits on top of Android like a fancy notification center and nothing more. It is not the Hub you know from BB10 by a long shot. It only really handles email. When you tap any other message like Twitter or SMS it opens a different app. Some apps do not intergrate like Whatsapp so when you hear a message tone you check the hub and see nothing and have to check the stock Android notification center. At best Hub is pretty useless. At worst its hugely annoying for the reason just described.
    Because I'm guessing there is no App on there called "email" right? (OEMs always ship with their own email app).
    10-30-15 02:06 PM
    Because I'm guessing there is no App on there called "email" right? (OEMs always ship with their own email app).
    There is a Gmail app on there out of the box. If you add your email account thru Gmail you end up getting two lots of notifications until you disable the Gmail app.
    10-30-15 02:19 PM
    Wow, this is a pretty serious indictment of what was supposed to be one of the PRIV's key selling points and arguably the centerpiece of the BlackBerry Productivity Suite.
    10-30-15 02:20 PM
    There is a Gmail app on there out of the box. If you add your email account thru Gmail you end up getting two lots of notifications until you disable the Gmail app.
    Yeah - there are generally always two - gmail is always there and then the OEMs generally bundle their own email client - so generally gmail + email client. Here the Hub IS the email client with a few bells right?
    10-30-15 02:20 PM
    Yeah - there are generally always two - gmail is always there and then the OEMs generally bundle their own email client - so generally gmail + email client. Here the Hub IS the email client with a few bells right?
    Yes. Hub handles email beautifully. It also shows all your text messages and you can delete them but to reply it opens Messenger. No Whatsapp integration so those notifications go to the standard Android notification center. I uninstalled Gmail to avoid dual notification.
    10-30-15 02:25 PM
    Yes. Hub handles email beautifully. It also shows all your text messages and you can delete them but to reply it opens Messenger. No Whatsapp integration so those notifications go to the standard Android notification center. I uninstalled Gmail to avoid dual notification.
    Do you recommend the Priv??
    10-30-15 02:30 PM
    So it sounds like there's little reason to use the Hub for anything other than email. You can turn off messaging and social media integration, right?
    10-30-15 02:52 PM
    Blackberry did the right thing using a stable version of Android, for their first android powered smartphone. Remember the Z10 when it was launched and the OS was full of bugs? At least this time they will be able to release a phone ready for Prime time, with all the Apps you will ever need, and with pretty well top of the line specs. Any bugs or screw ups and this smartphone will be history. The various smartphone blog (anti Blackberry) sites are already waiting for something to happen so they can bash the Priv. So they did the right thing by being cautious and providing the best possible smartphone they could come up with. I'm sure that after the bugs are ironed out from Marshmallow, they will release an update.. They have always been pretty good updating their phones so why not the Priv. So relax and buy one if you can. The finger print scanner will come.
    10-31-15 12:37 PM
    The hub integrates all your messages and notifications in one location. That is BBM, Text messages, What'sApp,Viber, Gmail, incoming and outgoing Calls, Facebook, Skype, etc., then lets you go to what you want to access, such as Email. So please read up, and find out before posting uninformed comments. Yes BB hub is a very important app to have.
    10-31-15 12:42 PM
116 ... 2345