Fingerprint scanners totally useless and gimmicky.
    I prefer not to have it honestly.

The only devices launching with Marshmallow are the Nexus devices now.

I'm sure there will be a Marshmallow update shortly after it releases.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    Not entirely true. New HTC that looks like an. IPhone 6 is releasing with Marshmallow. But doesn't matter... what matters is that they actually update the device down the line.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 06:38 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry should use Marshmallow until they fix the mobile radio bug.
    Mecca EL and will308 like this.
    10-25-15 07:06 PM
    While I don't think a fingerprint reader is a must-have, I will also readily admit I'd love to have one. I don't always have a password enabled, but I probably would with a decent implementation of a fingerprint reader.
    This here is precisely why the fingerprint scanner is so valuable. It may not be ideal for certain threat models, but for people who may not otherwise use a password, it provides a near-effortless lock for their phone that will easily deter casual thieves. And even for those who already have passwords, it's a more convenient alternative.
    10-25-15 09:36 PM
    This here is precisely why the fingerprint scanner is so valuable. It may not be ideal for certain threat models, but for people who may not otherwise use a password, it provides a near-effortless lock for their phone that will easily deter casual thieves. And even for those who already have passwords, it's a more convenient alternative.
    Until that someone's phone gets hacked. Most likely from someone getting access to your fingerprint (not too hard if you know the person, can tell what he/she has touched, can lift a print from that, and then set it up using the directions available online). That's a more straightforward set of steps than guessing/snooping for a password, so a relatively amateur yet determined person could do it--e.g. someone's spouse who's convinced that an affair is going on. Then what? It's not like people can go to a plastic surgeon and say "My phone was hacked. I need to change my fingerprints."

While it's not quite as easy as in the movies, it can certainly be done. I'm sure if anyone in the media asks why the Priv doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, BlackBerry's response will be that it's for security reasons.
    will308 and anon4226395 like this.
    10-26-15 12:09 AM
    Until that someone's phone gets hacked. Most likely from someone getting access to your fingerprint (not too hard if you know the person, can tell what he/she has touched, can lift a print from that, and then set it up using the directions available online). That's a more straightforward set of steps than guessing/snooping for a password, so a relatively amateur yet determined person could do it--e.g. someone's spouse who's convinced that an affair is going on. Then what? It's not like people can go to a plastic surgeon and say "My phone was hacked. I need to change my fingerprints."

While it's not quite as easy as in the movies, it can certainly be done. I'm sure if anyone in the media asks why the Priv doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, BlackBerry's response will be that it's for security reasons.
    This is why I said it may "not be ideal for certain threat models." A suspicious spouse is certainly one such model. But how many times has this actually occurred in the real world? This is not something of concern for most consumers.
    10-26-15 12:37 AM
    DTEK allows permission control just like blackphone 2 on lollipop.

Chill out guys.

I'd rather have a super stable OS during Priv launch compared to a buggy experience found with EVERY new OS launch including iOS9?

The first impression has to be good.

Insure BlackBerry has had way more time with the lollipop SDK compared to marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and guido0136 like this.
    10-26-15 06:24 AM
    I think I prefer them to use a tried and tested Android build that stumble on a new OS and release lots of fixes. This is their first foray into Android after all.

Z30 | STA100-2/10.3.2.2789 | Globe PH
    mackadilly likes this.
    10-26-15 06:32 AM
    BlackBerry must hire all the engineers, senior engineers and staff that develop BlackBerry 10! BlackBerry must hire back Thorsten Heins and Mike Lazarious to re-develop BlackBerry 10 and gain back market share. BlackBerry must beat IOS and Android in terms of security. We must buy every new BlackBerry phones to keep BlackBerry alive. We must keep connection secure. We must stay away from google, we must keep BlackBerry 10. We must secure. BlackBerry must implement QNX hypervisor, we must buy BlackBerry phone! We must we must we must BlackBerry must BlackBerry must.. BlackBerry must use the latest Android, BlackBerry must listen to us.. BlackBerry must BlackBerry must....

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 06:40 AM
    They must test, they must do this do that!!! They must! BlackBerry must... !!!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 06:42 AM
    BlackBerry must hire all the engineers, senior engineers and staff that develop BlackBerry 10! BlackBerry must hire back Thorsten Heins and Mike Lazarious to re-develop BlackBerry 10 and gain back market share. BlackBerry must beat IOS and Android in terms of security. We must buy every new BlackBerry phones to keep BlackBerry alive. We must keep connection secure. We must stay away from google, we must keep BlackBerry 10. We must secure. BlackBerry must implement QNX hypervisor, we must buy BlackBerry phone! We must we must we must BlackBerry must BlackBerry must.. BlackBerry must use the latest Android, BlackBerry must listen to us.. BlackBerry must BlackBerry must....

Posted via CB10
    Ding ding ding!! Winner / Gagnon! Award for dumbest post of the year.
    10-26-15 10:35 PM
    Ding ding ding!! Winner / Gagnon! Award for dumbest post of the year.
    Yeah! Thank you.. I purposely posted it!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 10:43 PM

Chill out guys.

I'd rather have a super stable OS during Priv launch compared to a buggy experience found with EVERY new OS launch including iOS9?

The first impression has to be good.

Insure BlackBerry has had way more time with the lollipop SDK compared to marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you ....better to have a stable os than a os with bugs as ppl would only moan that the priv had problems
    10-26-15 11:36 PM
    Only two phones (Google Nexus and Apple Iphone) get timely updates. Other companies have become notorious for slow updates and then quickly dropping models from their update list. Blackberry is leaving us with the impression that they will be falling into the latter group. So if updates are important to us, we have choices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-28-15 01:00 PM
    I don't know much about android OS versions, but fingerprint scanners are definitely a consumer gimmick on phones...

Posted via CB10
    It's not a gimmick. iPhone users who currently have the ability to open an application without having to input any credentials would feel like it's a backwards step if all of a sudden they needed to input their bank pin to login to their account or pay for an item.

Fingerprint scanning does more than just unlocking the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 01:42 PM
    It's not a gimmick. iPhone users who currently have the ability to open an application without having to input any credentials would feel like it's a backwards step if all of a sudden they needed to input their bank pin to login to their account or pay for an item.

Posted via CB10
    My personal preference would be to have to physically input a pin each time I used Debit/Credit cards, and manually use them where applicable but to each their own.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-15 05:11 PM
    Posted via CB10
    terminatorx likes this.
    10-28-15 05:27 PM
    Only two phones (Google Nexus and Apple Iphone) get timely updates. Other companies have become notorious for slow updates and then quickly dropping models from their update list. Blackberry is leaving us with the impression that they will be falling into the latter group. So if updates are important to us, we have choices.

How is BB leaving us with that impression?

10-28-15 06:20 PM
    Without their expression of a commitment to timely updates you are left with the understanding that this is not a priority and in all likelihood will be handled in a manner similar to that of the industry as a whole. Ergo, slow on updates and early ending to phone update cycle. This is a complaint of Samsung, LG, Sony, etc. smartphone owners.

10-28-15 07:15 PM

If someone has physical access to your phone long enough for them to go through all the time and effort of making a biometrically compatible false finger, then you probably have been without your phone long enough to activate the remote wipe function.

Or conversely, if there's people after you and your data who have the time, capability, and inclination to go through the trouble of defeating biometric security, then you probably have bigger problems than would be solved by using a PIN instead of a fingerprint.
    10-28-15 07:23 PM
    Unfortunately, it would appear that "committing" is not a BlackBerry strong point.

Posted via CB10 with my awsome Passport
    10-28-15 07:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's a gimmick because priv will not have that feature ;p

Force touch on new iphone is a gimmick as well since android (or bb with the outstanding pkb ) "has not yet" adopt that feature

Slide down notification on android was "once" treated as gimmick for ios user before they adopted that feature

And last, hub will always be a gimmick for ios and android phone

Lol

10-28-15 09:05 PM
    If someone has physical access to your phone long enough for them to go through all the time and effort of making a biometrically compatible false finger, then you probably have been without your phone long enough to activate the remote wipe function.

Or conversely, if there's people after you and your data who have the time, capability, and inclination to go through the trouble of defeating biometric security, then you probably have bigger problems than would be solved by using a PIN instead of a fingerprint.
    BOOM! Post of the day! Right on!
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-28-15 09:19 PM
    There's no proof of this yet. Not until the phone is released to the public.
    10-28-15 09:20 PM
    Why people are obsessed with fingerprint recognition? Somebody could unlock your device while sleeping....

Posted from my sexy Z10
    10-28-15 10:49 PM
    "no major changes" what, app permissions, arguable the single best thing they've added doesn't count? That alone made me consider the new nexus phones, it is super important.

Secondly, it's more about the numbers. You want to have the newest android, not an old version.

I hope BB at least keeps it updated a few versions. Not just one minor update and then drop it.
    How old are nexus phones when they are no longer updated?
    10-28-15 11:00 PM
116 12345