Google only announced on September 29, that Android Marshmallow would start to roll out to existing Nexus devices.

It amazes me the extent of criticism some people on this site come up with.
    Right?! And what's the big deal with this fingerprint scanner?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 02:38 PM
    Right?! And what's the big deal with this fingerprint scanner?

Posted via CB10
    its not just the fingerprint scanner. for this price (even for less!) you can get a new iphone 6s that has better cameras, fingerprint scanner, 3d touch thingy , a phone thats known for high quality, which is not something blackberry has been selling lately (double typing, flickering screen, lifting screen...) but even if you get a faulty device, you get a new one instantly, no questions asked. people here like to claim that if you are doing an educated purchase, you get a blackberry. right now an educated purchase would be an iphone...
    techvisor and crackberry_geek like this.
    10-24-15 02:48 PM
    There a ton of changes to marshmallow including selective app permissions, doze which is going to better battery life by about 25%, native support for for fingerprint scanners, install apps to SD card, now on tap, ect

It's a huge android update which is why it's 6.0 not 5.2

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info. I must have read a bad review. Not bad but I still don't think they are that major. Also, like many others said android L is finally stable. However, I guess those mentioned new features are a must to you and I can't argue with that.
    10-24-15 03:02 PM
    @dvarnai right on about high quality. Like when it bends in your pocket.
    10-24-15 03:08 PM
    @dvarnai right on about high quality. Like when it bends in your pocket.
    at least they gave you a new one if that happened and admitted the issue and fixed it in 6s. the 6s uses a super premium aluminum alloy that no other phone does yet. if this happened to your blackberry you were ****ed. but the point is, bending was the only widely known issue of the iphone6, now the passport had all kinds of crazy issues, screen lifting, bending just like the iphone, double typing, not even working keys, loose volume controls, loose back cover and so on..

but anyway, noone in their right mind should pay 800 EUR for a blackberry at this time. i paid 650 for the passport and after a year i have an eol'd device. no way ill pay even more than that for a phone that will be the last one by blackberry if it doesnt sell well...
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 03:14 PM
    If it doesn't sell you won't see it.
    The only marshmallow you'll ever see will be at a fire camp
    techvisor and Andrew Finley like this.
    10-24-15 03:18 PM
    If it doesn't sell you won't see it.
    The only marshmallow you'll ever see will be at a fire camp
    exactly my thoughts... **** that... my 800 eur goes to a manufacturer who i can be sure will be around in 2 years and will provide updates..
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 03:23 PM
    Fingerprint / retina scanner is useless. What? Are we too lazy for PINS? This is just a marketing gimmick.

On the other hand Marshmallow has to be on the Priv ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    10-24-15 03:27 PM
    People will do anything to justify BlackBerry's lack of commitment around Marshmallow update. Commitment to it and subsequent updates is critical to BlackBerry's success with Android. Nobody else in the Android world releases timely updates (Nexus devices aside), so doing that would be a huge boost in the eyes of all Android users.
    The same people who make excuses for BlackBerry, are the ones who were mad about BlackBerry making an Android phone in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 03:27 PM
    Google only announced on September 29, that Android Marshmallow would start to roll out to existing Nexus devices.

It's the same breed that complains that the Priv doesn't ship with Snapdragon 820 (wich doesn't exist yet)...
    Elite1, Irish Blues and Mecca EL like this.
    10-24-15 04:04 PM
    BlackBerry should commit to 6.1... wait for refinements

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-24-15 04:14 PM
    I don't believe BlackBerry has to answer anything that relates to the OS seeing how they are only providing a few apps, security and hardware. If anything, we should be asking Google when OS updates will be released. Just my take.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 09:06 PM
    Funny the sell sheet says Baseline Software Support Lollipop 5.1.1

Doesn't say it ships with that version of software, just means they'll give you support if you're running that version or higher on the device.

People need to get off BlackBerry's junk for a bit, many of you have some delusional expectations for arm chair CEO's.
    I'll reserve judgement until I see a full unboxing video after November 6th.

Z10 10.3.2.2639 via CB10
    10-24-15 09:18 PM
    Android fan boys be like.... it don't have marshmallow though.... as they type a comment on their galaxy s 3 with Ice cream sandwich..... but if it had stock marshmallow with bugs those same people would complain about how they don't know how to release a solid phone OS even though BlackBerry is just a vendor of android and Google makes the OS

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-24-15 09:52 PM
    If I tell you yes will you be happy?

In Squircle I Trust
    10-24-15 10:01 PM
    You're asking BlackBerry to commit to a date? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Better put out!
    10-24-15 10:52 PM
    The sticking pint for me is honestly the price. OS version be damned. Would be nice to have a fingerprint scanner for an easy unlock but I can live without it no problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 01:56 AM
    BlackBerry commit to a date?

There's a higher chance that hell freezes over.
    Good one LOL
    10-25-15 02:03 AM
    NO...programming resources need to be allocated to bug fixes and bringing over more of the BlackBerry experience to the platform.
    10-25-15 02:38 AM

Not so sure that's true. Marshmallow brought some pretty big updates to Android including significantly better battery life and much improved App privacy (permissions) management which all Blackberry fans should really appreciate in the name of "privacy".

The Nexus phones already have Marshmallow (which should be expected) but many manufacturers have announced they will update their phones shortly and introduce new phones with it already on it including the HTC One M9 & M8 (by "end of year"), Huawei (November rollout), LG G4 (November), Motorola, Samsung, & Sony. It seems to me that the other major Android manufacturers will just be switching on Marshmallow while Blackberry stays (as usual) one step behind introducing a new phone without it.

As for the fingerprint scanner, I get that many on this site are not fans but once you have it to pay for items at the register with your phone or manage your website password permissions or, yes, even turning your phone on, it's hard to go back. Apple's implementation is phenomenal and they are selling 10 million devices a month with that technology. I think many on this site are in denial about how impressive and secure a technology fingerprint scanning is and the massive rollout most manufacturers have had with it over the past year with nearly every major phone now having one.

The fact that the Priv doesn't have a Fingerprint scanner may not bother most on this Forum but I'm pretty sure it will be a huge disadvantage in trying to win back customers to Blackberry who is once again behind the technology curve. Blackberry can't afford to leave off important 2015 technology in trying to win back customers and it seems that this will be a big miss for them.
    10-25-15 07:50 AM
    While I don't think a fingerprint reader is a must-have, I will also readily admit I'd love to have one. I don't always have a password enabled, but I probably would with a decent implementation of a fingerprint reader.

Whether or not you would use one, the reality is lots of consumers now do use one and love it. For many users, it might even be a difficult part of their UX for them to leave behind. (And yes, many won't care either.)

I don't get calling it a "gimmick" at all. If it works, it's not a gimmick. It's useful. Otherwise, two can play that game.
    -The keyboard is a gimmick!
    -The Hub is a gimmick!
    -The curved glass is a gimmick! (Okay that one kind of is.)

There will be Picture Password iirc. Some users will find that cool.
    Last edited by Elite1; 10-26-15 at 06:41 PM.
    10-25-15 06:05 PM
    There a ton of changes to marshmallow including selective app permissions, doze which is going to better battery life by about 25%, native support for for fingerprint scanners, install apps to SD card, now on tap, ect
    The Galaxy 6 Edge+ has no SD card slot - which means "install apps to SD card" is a totally worthless feature on that phone and every other Android device that doesn't have an SD card slot (and that number is growing because manufacturers are watching the Apple sheeple continue to pay out the nose for more memory and see huge margins in doing the same).
    will308 likes this.
    10-25-15 06:25 PM
    The sticking pint for me is honestly the price. OS version be damned. Would be nice to have a fingerprint scanner for an easy unlock but I can live without it no problem.

Posted via CB10
    You can't use picture password?
    10-25-15 06:27 PM
    One of the real problems with the Priv not getting a proper launch is BlackBerry is not able to disseminate information out to the android press. The Priv is going to get criticism for launching with lollipop when every phone launched right now has Marshmallow.

It really seems out of place with lollipop and no fingerprint scanner. It really seems like the Priv is a 6 month old phone that the forgot to launch back in the beginning of the year.

Posted via CB10
    Fingerprint scanners totally useless and gimmicky.
    I prefer not to have it honestly.

The only devices launching with Marshmallow are the Nexus devices now.

I'm sure there will be a Marshmallow update shortly after it releases.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    will308 likes this.
    10-25-15 06:33 PM
    The premise of this thread is ridiculous. No OEM is launching with Marshmallow right now except Google/Nexus themselves.

I bet MM comes to Priv by EOY, which is perfectly acceptable. It will still beat some OEM/carrier combinations surely.

I will miss MM from my N6 as I try the Priv, but hopefully the experience is rewarding.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-25-15 06:37 PM
116 1234 ...