One of the real problems with the Priv not getting a proper launch is BlackBerry is not able to disseminate information out to the android press. The Priv is going to get criticism for launching with lollipop when every phone launched right now has Marshmallow.

It really seems out of place with lollipop and no fingerprint scanner. It really seems like the Priv is a 6 month old phone that the forgot to launch back in the beginning of the year.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:09 AM
    I don't know much about android OS versions, but fingerprint scanners are definitely a consumer gimmick on phones...

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:41 AM
    Most phones are still haunches with 5.0. Remember that HUB and other things are integrated in th OS. The BlackBerry Android is not a vanilla version.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:52 AM
    Most phones are still haunches with 5.0. Remember that HUB and other things are integrated in th OS. The BlackBerry Android is not a vanilla version.

Posted via CB10
    There are no other flagship phones launching in November with lollipop. Marshmallow is a must have.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Frix, Q10Bold, phuoc and 1 others like this.
    10-24-15 08:04 AM

... every phone launched right now has Marshmallow.

It really seems out of place with lollipop and no fingerprint scanner.

Posted via CB10
    Another "need to" post...

Really? I think you need to check your facts before making such a statement.

Fingerprint scanner, really? (this is not a phone, but it deals with Fingerprint scanners)
    10-24-15 08:05 AM
    And MS Lumia 950 is launching with Windows Hello, with retina recognition. Pull up your phone and glance at it, and it unlocks.

'Tis true about flagships.

Not only does BB need to commit to a date for Android 6, that date needs to be before Android 7 comes out.
    AllanQuatermain and techvisor like this.
    10-24-15 08:17 AM
    There are no other flagship phones launching in November with lollipop. Marshmallow is a must have.

Posted via CB10
    Read the reviews of Marshmallow, no major changes. I prefer to have an integrated hub and a better recent task menu over the latest Android iteration. I don't think integrating the hub and other customization is easy to implement and test out quickly. I do however understand that the masses who knows about the different android version out there would care. Let's hope the Priv offers what other android makers don't l. Let's hope the hub along the other customization is enough to gain new customers or at least returned customers. Let's hope the whole thing is a sucess.
    10-24-15 08:21 AM
    Read the reviews of Marshmallow, no major changes. I prefer to have an integrated hub and a better recent task menu over the latest Android iteration. I don't think integrating the hub and other customization is easy to implement and test out quickly. I do however understand that the masses who knows about the different android version out there would care. Let's hope the Priv offers what other android makers don't l. Let's hope the hub along the other customization is enough to gain new customers or at least returned customers. Let's hope the whole thing is a sucess.
    "no major changes" what, app permissions, arguable the single best thing they've added doesn't count? That alone made me consider the new nexus phones, it is super important.

Secondly, it's more about the numbers. You want to have the newest android, not an old version.

I hope BB at least keeps it updated a few versions. Not just one minor update and then drop it.
    10-24-15 08:28 AM
    "no major changes" what, app permissions, arguable the single best thing they've added doesn't count? That alone made me consider the new nexus phones, it is super important.

Secondly, it's more about the numbers. You want to have the newest android, not an old version.

I hope BB at least keeps it updated a few versions. Not just one minor update and then drop it.
    So android users, which have has zero control over app permissions since day 1, all of a sudden think 'damn, I can't control permissions on this phone YET? Screw it I'm sticking to my galaxy'

Give me a break.
    Harborcoat likes this.
    10-24-15 08:59 AM
    One of the real problems with the Priv not getting a proper launch is BlackBerry is not able to disseminate information out to the android press. The Priv is going to get criticism for launching with lollipop when every phone launched right now has Marshmallow.

It really seems out of place with lollipop and no fingerprint scanner. It really seems like the Priv is a 6 month old phone that the forgot to launch back in the beginning of the year.

Posted via CB10
    what do you want a stable os as in android 5.1.1 or a rushed os that could be full of bugs to start with........that then would just give you something else to moan about
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-24-15 09:00 AM
    There a ton of changes to marshmallow including selective app permissions, doze which is going to better battery life by about 25%, native support for for fingerprint scanners, install apps to SD card, now on tap, ect

It's a huge android update which is why it's 6.0 not 5.2

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 10:04 AM
    There a ton of changes to marshmallow including selective app permissions, doze which is going to better battery life by about 25%, native support for for fingerprint scanners, install apps to SD card, now on tap, ect

It's a huge android update which is why it's 6.0 not 5.2

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BlackBerry was simply being cautious. L is very stable right now, and they've had a lot of time to get the software right. They just can't afford any hiccups. If you recall, the first few months of L last year were a bit rough.

If the other manufacturers have problems, everyone will just blame it on M teething issues. By contrast, if BlackBerry had software issues, they would take it squarely between the eyes.

My feeling is that M is not far behind.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    will308, Sarek1701, cbvinh and 6 others like this.
    10-24-15 10:09 AM
    People will do anything to justify BlackBerry's lack of commitment around Marshmallow update. Commitment to it and subsequent updates is critical to BlackBerry's success with Android. Nobody else in the Android world releases timely updates (Nexus devices aside), so doing that would be a huge boost in the eyes of all Android users.
    10-24-15 10:10 AM
    yes, install apps to SD card is huge.

I can do that on my--get ready for it--$60 Lumia 635. Not only apps, but also offline maps for HERE Maps. It becomes a completely self-contained sat-nav unit, no cell signal required.

Not including a card slot is generally a grab for money by those who make money by reselling/licensing content through their storefronts--like Apple and Google. No card slot makes the device a true consumption unit rather than a work unit. Consume the thing you bought from us and that we store in the cloud for you, no need for messy on-board storage and having the hassle of managing that.

Right.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 10:10 AM
    I would NOT launch with Marshmallow. Get your feet wet with an already tested and mature OS version. Let Marshmallow get ironed out through the masses. Get the SMOOTHEST possible launch possible. That would be the proper way to start out.......
    10-24-15 11:15 AM
    BlackBerry commit to a date?

There's a higher chance that hell freezes over.
    JeepBB, jope28, eldricho and 6 others like this.
    10-24-15 11:20 AM
    I don't know much about android OS versions, but fingerprint scanners are definitely a consumer gimmick on phones...

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong, I don't use any kind of password in my phone. But for people that have to type a password every time they want to use the phone, the fingerprint scanner makes life a lot easier for them.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Out of place? pretty much no phone has 6.0 other than the now releasing Nexus 5x and 6P. Do you think samsung is a company that's "out of place"? Think again because samsung is one of the slower [well known] companies to release OS updates
    10-24-15 11:38 AM
    You're asking BlackBerry to commit to a date? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    10-24-15 11:50 AM
    Priv hasn't even really been announced yet.

Posted via CB10
    Drew Oswalt and DirkManuel like this.
    10-24-15 11:55 AM
    It would not require much effort from them to release a statement of commitment to timely software updates. My purchase decision has boiled down to this one issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-24-15 12:03 PM
    You gotta have the perv err priv first then mallows will follow suit.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 12:08 PM
    BB lost my sale when it wasn't going to launch with the latest Android OS. This slider is supposed to address privacy & security concerns, yet it won't use the latest Android OS which has granular permissions to minimize or control access to user's data.

And how long until it receives the 6.0 update especially when it is chained to the additional bottlenecks known as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.?
    Adam Frix and techvisor like this.
    10-24-15 12:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    With "every phone" you mean the Nexus devices right? Because there is no other phone RIGHT NOW that is launching with Marshmallow.

Some people really don't get it.

Google should announce future versions only when the first phone is released with that version. Announcing it earlier make people think "now it's on every phone that comes out" what's definitely not the case.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and Mecca EL like this.
    10-24-15 01:52 PM
    Google only announced on September 29, that Android Marshmallow would start to roll out to existing Nexus devices.

It amazes me the extent of criticism some people on this site come up with.
    10-24-15 02:21 PM
116 123 ...