As much as it pains me to say it BlackBerry should have adopted Google Android instead of developing BlackBerry OS 10 and brought BlackBerry's legendary security to BlackBerry Android. Their marketshare might have remained in the double digits and the recovery almost guaranteed.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    12-04-15 10:34 PM
    Maybe, but a lot of people didn't want to bow to a 2 company ecosystem. It's too bad because i do miss BB10 features, but hopefully as Priv matures they will make it feel more like BB10

But it's eventually going to be a 2 OS market, with windows fighting to stay in too, but will probably only appeal to people who want the whole window's ecosystem to connect with computer, xbox etc

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    12-04-15 11:25 PM
    As much as it pains me to say it BlackBerry should have adopted Google Android instead of developing BlackBerry OS 10 and brought BlackBerry's legendary security to BlackBerry Android. Their marketshare might have remained in the double digits and the recovery almost guaranteed.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes. And using Android has made all the other Android OEMs lots of money. NOT! They might have a larger market share, but they wouldn't have any more profits. They would have also lost all enterprise sales as Android was not accepted at all in business three years ago.
    gugomat likes this.
    12-04-15 11:29 PM
    The technically 'best' products often don't survive in the marketplace for a variety of reasons, sometimes being hit with a competitive disruptive technology that gets more press at a critical time etc. Think back to VHS vs. Betamax, HD DVD vs. BluRay, Nokia Symbian vs. iOS vs. Android and many others. Android isn't a perfect platform, but has come a long way in a few years. BlackBerry adopting and modifying it may be the push that turns it into a truly secure and flexible OS for business use.
    12-04-15 11:40 PM
    The technically 'best' products often don't survive in the marketplace for a variety of reasons, sometimes being hit with a competitive disruptive technology that gets more press at a critical time etc. Think back to VHS vs. Betamax, HD DVD vs. BluRay, Nokia Symbian vs. iOS vs. Android and many others. Android isn't a perfect platform, but has come a long way in a few years. BlackBerry adopting and modifying it may be the push that turns it into a truly secure and flexible OS for business use.
    Problem is that they are not modifying Android. Just making a secure boot loader and adding apps to a base version of Android. They are limited in what they can do since they don't control Google.
    12-04-15 11:53 PM
    Problem is that they are not modifying Android. Just making a secure boot loader and adding apps to a base version of Android. They are limited in what they can do since they don't control Google.
    The answer is the BlackBerry launcher. As it gets more refined, it will unlock more of the devices potential. The fluidity we have come to love from BlackBerry 10 is inherent in the UI. On the Priv, the launcher controls much of the UI.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    12-05-15 01:25 AM
    Maybe, but a lot of people didn't want to bow to a 2 company ecosystem. It's too bad because i do miss BB10 features, but hopefully as Priv matures they will make it feel more like BB10

But it's eventually going to be a 2 OS market, with windows fighting to stay in too, but will probably only appeal to people who want the whole window's ecosystem to connect with computer, xbox etc

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's already a two OS market and Android and IOS are it. I also loved the great features of OS10, but without a 100% google play services in the Android runtime, the majority of the important apps don't run properly.

I have been a long time Blackberry user and I am hoping the Priv takes off and some other new Android based products will follow.

Some of the OS10 faithful hate the idea of Android based devices, but for me as long as the Blackberry name is still in the bezel, I am all in.
    12-05-15 04:11 AM
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's already a two OS market and Android and IOS are it. I also loved the great features of OS10, but without a 100% google play services in the Android runtime, the majority of the important apps don't run properly.

I have been a long time Blackberry user and I am hoping the Priv takes off and some other new Android based products will follow.

Some of the OS10 faithful hate the idea of Android based devices, but for me as long as the Blackberry name is still in the bezel, I am all in.
    Me too, exactly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-05-15 04:40 AM
    The answer is the BlackBerry launcher. As it gets more refined, it will unlock more of the devices potential. The fluidity we have come to love from BlackBerry 10 is inherent in the UI. On the Priv, the launcher controls much of the UI.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    The fluidity comes from the hub and peek. BlackBerry has already said that they won't be making the HUB on Priv act like the one on BB10 so that whole fluidity is lost. And you won't be able to peek at the hub no matter what app you are in. They also can't hook thinks into the low level of the OS. Plus when Google changes something in Material Design that interferes with the launcher, then BlackBerry has to start back from scratch to play catch up. You lose the game when you don't control the OS.
    12-05-15 06:46 AM
    Yes. And using Android has made all the other Android OEMs lots of money. NOT! They might have a larger market share, but they wouldn't have any more profits. They would have also lost all enterprise sales as Android was not accepted at all in business three years ago.
    If BlackBerry had developed a smartphone running Google Android three years ago with BlackBerry security features from the outset do you honestly think enterprises, apart from a very niche use case, would have not moved their users from BlackBerry OS 7 to BlackBerry Android? Enterprises were screaming for applications not available on BlackBerry OS 7 and until the BlackBerry Android Player was implemented not available to BlackBerry OS 10 users either.
    12-05-15 01:17 PM
    At least the Priv is a step in the right direction. It can only go up from here as long as the keep up with the priv and launch new classic running Android.
    12-05-15 01:24 PM
    I always thought that BlackBerry should have adopted Android long time ago. They have spent so much money and resources to develop BB10 and it's failed ecosystem. It would have been wiser to build on the Android OS and provide security and other value added features. I believe it's a bit late in the game but a step in the right direction. I am hoping that that Priv will take off and BlackBerry will be successful in regaining some of its market share. Otherwise it will be the end of hardware division.

bakron1 and Carbonman1 like this.
    12-05-15 01:36 PM
    If BlackBerry had developed a smartphone running Google Android three years ago with BlackBerry security features from the outset do you honestly think enterprises, apart from a very niche use case, would have not moved their users from BlackBerry OS 7 to BlackBerry Android? Enterprises were screaming for applications not available on BlackBerry OS 7 and until the BlackBerry Android Player was implemented not available to BlackBerry OS 10 users either.
    I know consumers were screaming for apps, enterprises not so much.
    12-05-15 02:59 PM
    To be honest, the priv is going to take a bit of getting used to. BB10, for me, was a much easier experience all in. Maybe I was just used to it.

12-05-15 03:06 PM
    Android was garbage up until 4.0 and only became relatively decent with 5.0. I don't see how blackberry could have even used anything before 5 came around anyway. Especially with the extras they baked in and needing adequate hardware for it all to work together.
    12-05-15 03:09 PM
    Android was garbage up until 4.0 and only became relatively decent with 5.0. I don't see how blackberry could have even used anything before 5 came around anyway. Especially with the extras they baked in and needing adequate hardware for it all to work together.
    Yup. All people need to do is take an Android device from three years ago and compare it to BB10. No comparison. Android was garbage, well it still is for me.
    12-05-15 04:51 PM
    I always thought that BlackBerry should have adopted Android long time ago. They have spent so much money and resources to develop BB10 and it's failed ecosystem. It would have been wiser to build on the Android OS and provide security and other value added features. I believe it's a bit late in the game but a step in the right direction. I am hoping that that Priv will take off and BlackBerry will be successful in regaining some of its market share. Otherwise it will be the end of hardware division.

Exactly, hindsight is always 20-20
    12-05-15 06:48 PM
    I know consumers were screaming for apps, enterprises not so much.
    Au contraire. There were certain applications which were either pale imitations from the same developers for other platforms or outright non-existent altogether. Many of us had no use for those applications so we were content with the built-in applications and the few well-designed applications available via BlackBerry World.

The transition to BYOD by organisations really hurt BlackBerry and the company was slow to adapt to a changing market. In my opinion, BlackBerry would have not been sustainable if it relied solely on government and certain industry segments for revenue as BlackBerry Enterprise Server, now BlackBerry Enterprise Service, subscriptions. The multiple product lines and different models within product lines was another problem. A truly universal band smartphone covering all the frequencies offered by all the wireless carriers might have reduced the costs.
    12-05-15 07:06 PM