Maybe it's a stupid question, but BB10 devices support both "cellular data" and "BlackBerry data" plans.

Does the Priv support BlackBerry data? I'm on a grandfathered 6 Gigabyte BlackBerry data plan that works just fine with my Z30: I put my SIM into my iPhone 6+: no data.

Does the Priv support "BlackBerry data"?
    11-06-15 12:20 PM
    bb10 didnt support blackberry data plans. Neither does the priv. They both operate on normal data plans period
    11-06-15 12:35 PM
    bb10 didnt support blackberry data plans. Neither does the priv. They both operate on normal data plans period
    Can you explain why my bb data plan works on my Z30? Of course it works.
    11-07-15 09:05 AM
    Can you explain why my bb data plan works on my Z30? Of course it works.
    Because it's a regular data plan underneath?

Neither BB10 nor Android use BIS data.
    11-07-15 09:08 AM
    My bb data plan works on my z30, it works on my Torch 9810. It does not work on my iPhone 6 or my Nexus 5.

WILL IT WORK ON THE PRIV? Thanks.
    11-07-15 09:31 AM
    If it works on the Z30 then it'll work on the Priv.
    11-07-15 09:32 AM
    Bell Canada makes me use a BlackBerry plan for bb10 devices, as soon as I changed it for a regular data plan, I lost my data on my unlocked passport..

with that said, maybe I need to change the APN in the network settings

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 09:36 AM
    Very few carrier used to allow BlackBerry Internet service to work with bbos 10. But supposedly not anymore. It's better to call your provider to tell them that you will be using an android device and change your plan. Priv is pretty well know. They should know. Even if they don't, you just did a good deed by spreading the word out.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 09:38 AM
    Bell Canada makes me use a BlackBerry plan for bb10 devices, as soon as I changed it for a regular data plan, I lost my data on my unlocked passport..

with that said, maybe I need to change the APN in the network settings

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Same here. Had a reg data plan and it didn't work on my BlackBerry 10 device. No network data wasn't receiving text replies. Switched to a BlackBerry data plan and then it worked. Now I've switched back to a regular data plan for my Priv. Bell Canada.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    11-07-15 10:20 AM
    I can not change my BB data plan without paying more money for less service: I pay $55 per month for my plan that includes 6 GB of BB data. I would have to pay almost double that to keep 6 GB, or still pay more to switch to 2 GB, which would be a barrier to even TRYING the Priv outside of fiddling with it at the carrier store. If it does vary from carrier to carrier, my carrier is Virgin Mobile Canada, a Bell MVNO owned by Bell.

If I change the APN would I be able to use my data plan on another device? I doubt it but if someone has creative ideas, I'm all eyes.
    11-07-15 08:13 PM
    I can not change my BB data plan without paying more money for less service: I pay $55 per month for my plan that includes 6 GB of BB data. I would have to pay almost double that to keep 6 GB, or still pay more to switch to 2 GB, which would be a barrier to even TRYING the Priv outside of fiddling with it at the carrier store. If it does vary from carrier to carrier, my carrier is Virgin Mobile Canada, a Bell MVNO owned by Bell.

If I change the APN would I be able to use my data plan on another device? I doubt it but if someone has creative ideas, I'm all eyes.
    I spoke to a VMobile rep when I went from my 9700 to an android. I was told that my BlackBerry plan would work fine on my android, but I would have to switch if I used an iPhone because they use "premium data"

Edit: and yes, my data did work on my android device(OnePlus One) and is currently being used on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    11-07-15 08:15 PM
    I spoke to a VMobile rep when I went from my 9700 to an android. I was told that my BlackBerry plan would work fine on my android, but I would have to switch if I used an iPhone because they use "premium data"

Edit: and yes, my data did work on my android device(OnePlus One) and is currently being used on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Further tests:

I insert the SIM into my iPhone, and the "Cellular Data Settings" is not shown: iOS devices respect the carrier's flag for "don't let people change APN settings" and doesn't show any user interface that might let me change APN settings, so the SIM tied to a BlackBerry data plan on an iPhone doesn't have data.

I insert the SIM into my Galaxy S4 and there is no data: Virgin Mobile doesn't show up as an available carrier (Bell, Rogers, and Telus all do, but their MVNOs do not). No data support.

I will schlep to the Bell store in the Toronto Eaton Centre tomorrow and will ask if they will allow me to insert my SIM card into the Priv and see if I can get data on the device and post my findings here.
    11-09-15 02:24 PM
    I used my sim from my 9700 to z10 to z30 no issues used an android for a bit set the apn to blackberry.net10 worked liked a charm

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 02:32 PM
    I used my sim from my 9700 to z10 to z30 no issues used an android for a bit set the apn to blackberry.net10 worked liked a charm
    I will have to try this on the locked device at the Bell store: Virgin Mobile Canada doesn't have the Priv yet, nor do I expect them to get it any time soon, but if my VMobile sim and my BB data plan "just works" with the Priv I will post here.
    11-09-15 04:04 PM
    My Z30 is locked to Bell as well, works 100% for me.
    Is BlackBerry data supported on the Priv?-capture.png

^ That's my current plan, and was the plan used with my OnePlus One.
    11-09-15 04:40 PM
    The PRIV is a Nano SIM....so you'll have to cut it to try it in the device.
    11-09-15 05:04 PM
    One of the two Bell Stores in the Eaton centre had a working unit but I could not try my own sim in it. One rep at one of the stores stated with absolute certainty that my data plan would work on the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 07:56 AM
    Bought the Classic from RIM (unlocked) and use it on AT&T with a grandfathered unlimited BB dataplan.
    Both units have a nano-Sim, i believe.

I need to know if I roll to the PRIV on ATT (from them or Blackberry directly) will I still be able to ...

1)Keep the grandfather BB Unlimited Data plan...?
    2)Keep my att.blackberry.net email address?
    3)Still be able to use Blackberry Blend to the PRIV?
    4)be able to move the SIM back and forth between devices at will, without the Data Plan service being a concern?
    5)Will I have use of BBM natively?

PRIV seems like a very cool platform, but is the PRIV a Blackberry device with standard Smartphone (non-iPhone, non-Blackberry) data plan?
    11-10-15 01:11 PM
    One of the two Bell Stores in the Eaton centre had a working unit but I could not try my own sim in it. One rep at one of the stores stated with absolute certainty that my data plan would work on the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    If you're posting via CB10, and your phone is functional outside of WiFi range, then you have the generic data that can work on any BB10/Android/iOS smartphone.

In that case, the rep is a bellend.
    vgorous likes this.
    11-10-15 01:32 PM
    If you're posting via CB10, and your phone is functional outside of WiFi range, then you have the generic data that can work on any BB10/Android/iOS smartphone.
    So, if I take my nano sim out of my Z30 right now and put it into my iOS device (either my iPhone 6 Plus purchased directly from Apple unlocked, or my unlocked iPad Mini 2 Wifi + Cellular) it will "just work"?
    11-10-15 01:54 PM
    The reason why you cannot get data by default on an Android device or an iPhone is because the APN is either not set or is set incorrectly.

To solve this, you will have to set the APN on the Android device manually to pda.bell.ca. On an iPhone it is more complicated because Bell SIM forces the Cellular Data options to be hidden, which means that you have to use the Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone site to download the correct pda.bell.ca profile to your iPhone. Note that MMS will never work on the iPhone so you can forget about picture and video messages via texting. SIM swap method of old no longer works on iOS 8/9.

Here are the settings for LG G3, but same will work for your PRIV using the legacy data plan https://apn-canada.gishan.net/settin..._for_lg_g3.php

So, if I take my nano sim out of my Z30 right now and put it into my iOS device (either my iPhone 6 Plus purchased directly from Apple unlocked, or my unlocked iPad Mini 2 Wifi + Cellular) it will "just work"?
    Definitely not on the iPhone. Maybe on Android. If you follow what I said above, then it will 100% work on both.
    Last edited by dejanh; 11-10-15 at 02:15 PM.
    11-10-15 01:57 PM
    My Z30 is locked to Bell as well, works 100% for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	437 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	379788

^ That's my current plan, and was the plan used with my OnePlus One.
    This plan was used on a BBOS device? Do you have a BBOS device to test it on and it still works?
    11-10-15 01:58 PM
    Z30 is a Micro SIM, not Nano, it will need to be cut or need a new SIM.
    11-10-15 02:20 PM
    I was under the impression that BBOS devices would not work with 'regular' data plans, and would only work with 'BlackBerry data plans'. If that is the case, is posting this from a Torch 9810 with my vmobile lte nanosim with wifi off an indication that mine is an old-skool BB data plan?

Z30 is a Micro SIM, not Nano, it will need to be cut or need a new SIM.
    Thanks, but I changed my micro sim to a nano sim months ago so I could move the SIM to my iPhone and I use an adaptor with my Z30. My Virgin Mobile Nano Sim used in my iPhone didn't have data (as dejanh explained above) but hacking an iPhone to use BlackBerry data and not having SMS / MMS support isn't what I'm asking about here.

I wouldn't take anyone's word for it at this point, because actual testing contradicts the assertions being made in this topic, but without an actual either Bell-locked or unlocked Priv device to test with, I can't add my own real-world experience as a data point.

Sorry, Thurask and Howarmat, your assertions that the fact that my data plan works on my Z30 somehow indicates it is a "normal data plan" not a "blackberry data plan" are obviously wrong. Get your self a BBOS device, stick a sim card in there, see if you can get data / use BBM / whatever... then move that same sim card to an Android device and see if you can surf the 'net etc., then come back here and tell us your findings. I've told you mine. But that still doesn't answer the question about the Priv... but given that clearly the Z30 supports both "non blackberry data plans" and "blackberry data plans" and the Priv has a hardware PIN like BBOS and BB10 hardware (which I believe is what underpins the ability to use "BlackBerry Data Plans", but that's is just conjecture on my part), I expect it would work, but I haven't been able to test it with an actual Priv device, so take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-10-15 at 02:51 PM.
    11-10-15 02:20 PM
    I was on Bell BlackBerry BIS plan on my 9900. I did not change plans when I bought in an unlocked Z10 . Bell cut down my sim card. The problem was that my 9900 sim card ( cut ) did not support LTE. Staying on the same plan Bell gave me a LTE sim card.

I later wanted to have a shared plan so that my spouse (iPhone) and I could share data. It turned out that they could not- would not use my BlackBerry "corporate" account to share data so they booted me off that plan.

Bell still segregates my BlackBerry Z10 - The non BIS BlackBerry plan is called Shareable BlackBerry 40 .

I think that many of the old Blackberry plans that you may have had are still useful and cheap provided that you had enough data. Typically, you might use twice or more data on a non BIS phone. I have no idea is you can use a non BlackBerry on your BlackBerry plan but I think you could bring in a unlocked phone and stay on the same plan and number BUT I could be wrong. I would be very surprised if you could not use a PRIV on your BlackBerry Plan . The Z10 and PRIV are both non BIS phones.

My 9900 is no longer operational - with either SIM card. I supposed that the old Sim card would need be activated and BIS reactivated.
    11-10-15 09:26 PM
42 12