I recall that BlackBerry Passport was launched at US$ 599 . . . the same device was offered for US$ 499 on and after Black Friday.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/11/black-friday-promo/

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 01:47 AM
    apple made and toy ipod for kids and now the kids are growing up and have same toy called the iPhone. It just worked out to be good marketing, BB does not have a growing market, they have grown up, BB are the no-name Cola competing with Coke and Pepsi
    What the hell are you talking about? I was a grown *** man when purchasing a 20 gig iPod (third gen) with the hp logo and there was nothing "toy" about it. It also wasn't cheap, $299 is what I paid I think.

Being able to throw all my albums on an ipod was awesome at the time. I had tried different mp3 players (zune, creative zen) but that ipod was great.
    10-24-15 02:01 AM
    you also don't really see a porsche design phone, i think i've ever only seen two.

If blackberry was releasing this phone when their shares were worth more than a meal at subway then sure it'd probably fly no problem. But when a company tanks from peak $230/share to $100/share now down to like 10 bucks - thats a real hard sell. If you show the general masses an iphone for a grand or a priv for there abouts (i'm talkin CDN pricing) they'll go for the iphone. market presence has a lot to do with it. don't even get me started on their lack of QC for the BB10 devices.

not to mention Chen's joke of a demo and there hasn't been any sort of public release for this device.

so while we may all love BB and i really want to get a priv myself, lets take a step back and get back into reality, selling this phone at its current price to move the kind of volume they want to move - or at least should want to move is just not going to happen. If it was say 749 or maybe even 799 here then sure, but not 899.
    This
    A lot of people here seem to think that just because they can afford/ choose to buy it, others will too. Fact of getting matter is, the Priv won't sell in Canada at that price point.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 02:20 AM
    Lol, this is how Apple users justify the cost of their devices.

...except BlackBerry is no where near in the same class as Apple devices. imo, these prices are setting up for another botched launch. But we'll see.
    A post from another user who has never touched a BlackBerry.
    10-24-15 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry brand hasn't been considered "cheap". So for those people whining about the cost of the Priv, this is not your time to buy it (if ever)...

So why does the BlackBerry Android phone priced as high or higher than comparable Android phone? It is because it is a BlackBerry.
    The problem with this, is all flagship phones on Android that are high spec are selling miserably and have been for years. Samsung is only making a profit from low end Android devices. Sony is dying because of high end. And users simply aren't dropping 600+.

If BlackBerry is arrogant enough to believe they will succeed where much larger and (these days) better known companies are failing, then they deserve the inevitable outcome they earned by ignoring the market. Chen made the mistake of saying he's considering shutting down handsets in 2016, very few people want to roll that much cash on a device that could go belly up in 6 months. It would be foolhardy to purchase it

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-24-15 12:18 PM
    The problem is that there really isn't anything premium about BlackBerry devices anymore. The quality is nowhere near what it used to be. Before BB10 I never had to return/replace a device because it was defective. Since BB10 I have had to get a warranty replacement on every BlackBerry we have had except for my passport. That includes the Z10, Q10, Classic, and Z30. That's not a good track record as far as quality goes.

BlackBerry brand hasn't been considered "cheap". So for those people whining about the cost of the Priv, this is not your time to buy it (if ever).

Apple even on the brink of bankruptcy in the past didn't drop the price of their Macs to be cheap in order to become "mainstream". They kept (and continue to keep) their premium pricing. They rather go under then tarnish their brand.

Why don't they do it? Because once a brand is considered budget, it will be very hard to raise it back. It is easy to lower prices and race to the floor, but it is hard to raise to be profitable.

That is why Lexus will ALWAYS be priced higher than a comparable Toyota even though they share common components.

You don't see government officials showing off their HTC or LG phones. You don't see Fortune 500 CEOs flaunting their Xiaomi phone.

BlackBerry have Porsche design variants of their phones. You don't see that with LG, HTC or many other Android manufacturer.

So why does the BlackBerry Android phone priced as high or higher than comparable Android phone? It is because it is a BlackBerry.

Posted via Classic or maybe the Passport
    10-24-15 01:07 PM
31 12