All -

I recently purchased a Priv. I'm considering purchasing a protection plan. Would you recommend the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan Or Square Trade? Why is one better over the other, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    02-02-17 07:59 AM
    All -

I recently purchased a Priv. I'm considering purchasing a protection plan. Would you recommend the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan Or Square Trade? Why is one better over the other, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    I thought I remember people posting on here that BlackBerry Protection was no good. I have no personal experience with BlackBerry Protection and personally use Square Trade. I haven't had to make a claim but was impressed with the customer service when buying the plan. Like that you can buy a year at a time in case you upgrade early.
    02-02-17 08:04 AM
    tnewton3,

I saw that other thread about the long wait time for replacements. I have Square Trade on a few other phones but I have never had to use it. (iPhones for the family) I'm wondering since BB sells a plan, does it make sense to go with them over Square Trade in the event a replacement is needed? Maybe I might want longer but less of a hassle?
    02-02-17 08:22 AM
    All -

Thanks in advance!
    I hope you get a bunch of replies to help figure out the best route. I know that there's that more recent thread "BB Protection - joke" where folks report delays. Now, whether at this point in the Priv's life cycle, Square Trade can do better, I don't know. I think a good question is if BB's plan can't replace the phone, what do they ultimately do? Same question for Square Trade - or at they more generic and provide money or choice of device if the Priv is not available.

I guess I could ask the same question - I have "warranty/insurance" (and I'm not sure which) from Verizon. I don't know what they'd do at this point and hope I don't have to find out.
    02-02-17 08:50 AM
    Looks like we are in the minority as it relates to phone protection. Anyone?
    02-03-17 05:36 AM
    I never do any kind of care or extended warranty, over the years I've saved enough not paying for that to buy 3 or 4 new flagships.
    Course thats just my opinion and experience, yours may differ.

BB vs Square Trade - I'd assume that if BB can't even get replacement BB phones, square trade has even less of a chance. Though square might be will ing to get you another brand, no way is BB going to do that.
    02-03-17 09:07 PM
    Square Trade. Use it on all of our devices and have been happy with it.
    02-03-17 10:34 PM
    I haven't had to make a claim but was impressed with the customer service when buying the plan
    My experience with insurance companies (all insurance companies) is they are always happy and provide excellent customer service when you're buying and paying the premiums. It's when you need to make a claim is when the ugliness comes out.
    FF22 and newcollector like this.
    02-03-17 11:07 PM
    I used to insure my kids iphones with squaretrade. They were top notch even for claims. The weird part was they made you "pay" them the deductible then they would send a check for the full amount. I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't just deduct the deductible from the check. Maybe their process has changed as it has been a few years since I've used it.
    02-04-17 03:55 PM
    I have square trade on a few iPhones but never had to use it. The reason I'm looking for protection is to cover its screen size. Coming from a BB Classic, the Priv screen is huge. I'm afraid that somewhere down the line, I might break it.

Since I have the classic as my backup phone, I'm thinking of going with the BB protection plan. If it take a few weeks for replacement, no big deal. Its likely that it would be easer to get replaced if needed by the BB protection plan over the square trade plan. Thoughts?
    02-06-17 06:33 AM
    I have square trade on a few iPhones but never had to use it. The reason I'm looking for protection is to cover its screen size. Coming from a BB Classic, the Priv screen is huge. I'm afraid that somewhere down the line, I might break it.

Since I have the classic as my backup phone, I'm thinking of going with the BB protection plan. If it take a few weeks for replacement, no big deal. Its likely that it would be easer to get replaced if needed by the BB protection plan over the square trade plan. Thoughts?
    I am offering PURE SPECULATION.

At this stage in the life of the Priv, I can see getting a replacement becoming harder and harder whether new or refurbished. I don't know what BB does in the event they can't find a replacement. Obviously, they don't have a lot of other devices to offer as a replacement. 3rd party insurance might have more options including other brand devices or maybe money back???? Again, I have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since you have your own backup device for interim use, it may not be a big deal.
    02-06-17 09:19 AM
    I am offering PURE SPECULATION.

At this stage in the life of the Priv, I can see getting a replacement becoming harder and harder whether new or refurbished. I don't know what BB does in the event they can't find a replacement. Obviously, they don't have a lot of other devices to offer as a replacement. 3rd party insurance might have more options including other brand devices or maybe money back???? Again, I have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since you have your own backup device for interim use, it may not be a big deal.
    I would agree that replacements are going to be hard to come by for the priv. A 3rd party insurance is more likely to allow a "comparable" replacement rather than only an exact replacement. And some posts on here don't speak to highly of the BlackBerry plan. I'd take a look at the squaretrade plans and look at the fine print and see what it says about an exact replacement not being available.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-07-17 09:03 AM
    If anyone cares, I ended up going with Square Trade. It cost $49 for the year and I purchased it from the same retailer that sold me the Priv. (Drops and Spills coverage included)
    02-10-17 05:32 PM
    Deductible? If a priv is not available what do they offer?
    02-10-17 10:48 PM
    $50 deductible.

COVERAGES AND TERMS:
    This Protection Plan will cover a mechanical or electrical failure of the Covered Product(s) in subsections A, B, C and D below during normal usage for the Term of this Protection Plan. This Protection Plan is inclusive of any manufacturer's warranty that may exist during the Coverage Term. It does not replace the manufacturer's warranty, but provides certain additional benefits during the term of the manufacturer's warranty. Replacement parts will be new, rebuilt or non-original manufacturer's parts that perform to the factory specifications of the product at Our sole option.
    This Protection Plan does not cover repair or replacement of Your Product for any of the causes or provide coverage for any losses set forth below in Section 9, "WHAT IS NOT COVERED." Specific details about Your coverage under this Protection Plan are provided in the Order Summary. For online assistance and hardware troubleshooting tips, visit www.squaretrade.com and select the Support option.
    CELL PHONES AND TABLETS:
    This Protection Plan provides coverage for parts and labor costs to repair or replace Your Product where the problem is the result of a failure caused by:
    Normal wear and tear;
    Accidental damage from handling (ADH), such as damage from drops, spills and liquid damage associated with the handling and use of Your Product, if the coverage has been offered and purchased at the time of sale with your Protection Plan;
    One (1) battery repair or replacement, when the original rechargeable battery is defective as determined by Us and at Our sole discretion. We may require You to return your original defective battery to Us to receive a replacement battery;
    Damaged or defective buttons or connectivity ports located on Your Product;
    For defective pixels We will match the manufacturer's warranty for the Term of Your Protection Plan. In the absence of a manufacturer's dead pixel policy, We will cover a failure of three (3) or more defective pixels within a one square inch area of the display;
    Dust, internal overheating, internal humidity/condensation;
    Defects in materials or workmanship;
    Operational failure resulting from a power surge while properly connected to a surge protector. You may be asked to provide Your surge protector for examination.
    02-11-17 06:54 AM
    If anyone cares, I ended up going with Square Trade. It cost $49 for the year and I purchased it from the same retailer that sold me the Priv. (Drops and Spills coverage included)
    Unless something has changed since I last checked in November, Square Trade may have been your only option in this situation as I don't think the BlackBerry Care Plan was made available for the Android devices (Priv, DTEK50/60). At least, they didn't offer it to me when I inquired about it for my '60. Prior to that I had the Priv but I was still using insurance offered via Verizon, from which I have since left.
    02-11-17 07:54 AM
    Unless something has changed since I last checked in November, Square Trade may have been your only option in this situation as I don't think the BlackBerry Care Plan was made available for the Android devices (Priv, DTEK50/60). At least, they didn't offer it to me when I inquired about it for my '60. Prior to that I had the Priv but I was still using insurance offered via Verizon, from which I have since left.
    Maybe it's winding down since TCL will be taking over that aspect of the business. It's probably why their service is so terrible now.
    00stryder likes this.
    02-11-17 08:30 AM
    The Blackberry protection plan is still available for the Priv:

BlackBerry Care Protection Plan - United States
    Wezard and 00stryder like this.
    02-11-17 09:02 AM