If it's over $699 they blew it.
    Bet it's going to be $699 US & $799 Canada.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-25-15 05:47 PM
    Bet it's going to be $699 US & $799 Canada.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    699/899 is possible
    09-25-15 05:49 PM
    599-659 USD, 699-800 CAD.

I bet
    09-25-15 05:51 PM

I bet
    sooo, with telus, that would be about $260 on a 2 yr plan versus $460-600 for equivalent Samsung/Apple offering
    09-25-15 06:00 PM
    BlackBerry.. even with this device.. they have to prove themselves. The others are already established and they know what to expect and what they're getting. With BlackBerry and this being their first foray into Android and their 'brand image' in some people's eyes, they need to earn some love. Remember, the Storm came out when Android was on the rise and a lot of folks left BlackBerry for Android at the time, some of those people are still bitter over it all.

Granted, that's likely an arguably small base but the rest is covered by their brand image which still isn't great in the eyes of many. They need to make a bang with this device and MAKE people want to pick it up. Being lighter (and just as good) as the others on the bank account is a good start. But as others have mentioned, BlackBerry has never really been good at pricing so I expect it;ll be no different this time around. I hope, however, to be wrong lol.
    Yeah, it's not just about revenue for the next quarterly earnings report. This is about commitment to the mobile handsets division in the grand scheme of things. They have to push volume over profit in order to gain a foothold in an already overcrowded market. If they're truly serious about staying in the game, they'll take a hit on margins and sell it around the break even price point, imho. And from that point they can venture out further with a Passport form factor, all touch, etc
    JohnGrey and ayngling like this.
    09-25-15 06:12 PM
    You're right, it is too late, but if they want to recoup anything approaching manufacturing cost for the entire run they have to price it competitively, and that means pricing it with an appreciation of their brand positioning, plain and simple. It's not just myself saying it now: $500 is low enough to encourage people to cross brand lines, $700 isn't going to happen. It's just not.better that they lose $50 a device and sell 60 - 70% of their initial run in the first quarter, than make $50 and sell 15 - 20%, and have a massive writedown in two quarters.
    Pay now or pay later, yes. I have no idea what the new Slider costs them to manufacture, but I seriously hope they are looking at it as a marketing opportunity more than a short term revenue grab.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-25-15 06:34 PM
    They named it the Priv, so I'm fairly confident BlackBerry knows what they're doing and will price it correctly.

I'm still pronouncing it the Pirv though. Mild dislexia FTW.
    09-25-15 08:08 PM

I bet
    That's what I'm thinking too.
    09-25-15 09:52 PM
    Unfortunately in Europe we will have an equivalent of something close to 900-1000$... you lucky americans
    09-25-15 09:57 PM
    The blackberry Pric(e not ck) haha. Agree with usd$699. Not too low and not too high.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 11:01 PM
    I think this phone will do well. It's something different. The biggest contenders seem to be Samsung, LG, and Motorola. If the priv was just a touch screen smartphone, I think it'd be dead on arrival but that physical keyboard will be sure to turn some heads, plus it's a sexy looking device.

I'm buying one regardless but I'm hoping once the reviews roll out, it'll catch people's attention.

As for the price, I've paid more than 700 for a phone before so, whatever the priv costs, I will pay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-25-15 11:22 PM
    As long as I can get it for $149-$199 on a Rogers two year term I'm good. Outside of that I'll wait.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 11:24 PM
    $699 USD will draw comparisons with other Android devices and maybe the keyboard and capacitive touch won't be enough to get existing Android users to switch, however it seems like a fair price to start with and sets the "value"

$649 USD as sales start to slow... and special price on ShopBlackBerry...

I, personally, will probably wait for $549, as my Z30 still serves me well and I don't necessarily need to get the latest right away.

On second thought, if the camera is really good, especially for low-light, I might get it at the higher price.
    09-26-15 05:02 AM
    With the initial leak of import price in India for test units, around ₹26k, I think the retail price should be 35k which is roughly $550 including taxes and margins.

I think they have learned the lesson of poor pricing for new platform etc in the market. This time it should be reasonable and should not be like $800.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 05:17 AM
    I would hope they price the device at 549.00 US which I will be all in and buy two of them the day it's released. Now it's just wait and see.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-26-15 05:22 AM
    I heard Czech price should be 24k CZK that's $1k USD and usually brand new BlackBerries are cheapest here (for example Passport was). From one distributor I heard he does not believe it will sale a lot as price is going to be much higher than Passport. But of course, nothing official.

Posted via CB10
    If that's true I hope the Airplane Mode takes me on holiday.

Posted via CB10
    tp2386, zyad, totaldynamic and 1 others like this.
    09-26-15 05:24 AM
    I bought a 9800 the day of release in 2010 for 550.00. And I forgot what the price was for the 9810 I got in 2011 but I think it was the same basic range.

They had slider's and this was before BlackBerry needed to price better. I know it's been 4 years since the 9810 release but I think 550.00 would be a reasonable price. It might get people to try it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    ChainPunch likes this.
    09-26-15 05:53 AM
    With Android on it, I would see a $499 ceiling. The Slide out keyboard is a point of differentiation but the BlackBerry logo reduces the appeal considerably.

$699 will only sell to the BlackBerry loyal. $499 has a chance to sell to the uneducated masses when carriers sell it for $99 on a two year contract.

They need to get serious traction with this phone and fast or they are out of the hardware business by March.

Mr. Chen, breakeven on this device, sell #s and restore hope to the market or they will not have any faith to support 15% profitable portion of software solutions.

Posted via CB10
    Dream on

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    Jasper-Ng likes this.
    09-26-15 06:38 AM
    Business 101... make money.... It is basic economics... it cost this much to make.. market and ship.... it sells for this much which is the profit... So if they sell it for a price point makes them "some money" it will sell for what it needs to.. as for overpriced...the market decided that... everyone has a different idea as to what overpriced is and will use that in their choice of what to purchase.. for those who have not concept of the above... selling it at cost or below to meet some unrealistic expection only delvers one thing... failure... if BB was smart.. and they have shown no such inclination... they would strick a deal with the US and Canadian carriers to heavily subsidize the device cost... so go ahead and pick your magic number for yourself...in the end this will be either BB path to live to fight another day...or as it appears ... leave the hardware market totally....
    Well said!

PIN 829A "You're only known for the worst thing you do" DSO 1978
    ChainPunch likes this.
    09-26-15 06:44 AM
    I would hope they price the device at 549.00 US which I will be all in and buy two of them the day it's released. Now it's just wait and see.
    only if they get any count of special discount for the US market like they did for the passport at launch... 550$ is what the passport SE sells for... The slider with a much better processor, OLED screen, just a new device, i doubt so much it will be at 550$
    09-26-15 09:17 AM
    Blackberry as the new guy on the block so to speak and with a tarnished rep will need to price the phone as low as they can and still make a profit or break even. It will be better to sell millions at low profit than thousands at high profit. The lower price the better with this phone. The quicker they sell the better as word will spread on how great BlackBerry is and then once the consumer spreads the word BlackBerry can ask whatever they want on the next phone.
    09-26-15 09:35 AM
    And don't forget - anyone thinking the purchase out clearly will consider ( as I am): what if BlackBerry dumps the mobile device business totally? Now - no ongoing OS support for the Android BlackBerry "package " - and no ongoing hardware support. The only source for support for either area is from BlackBerry itself - not from Google, and not from the hardware manufacturer.

So - one's purchase of a Priv could end up being a several hundred dollars paperweight.

Contrast that to purchasing a product from Samsung or LG (or even a Nexus from Google) - any of which are much "safer" purchases.

So BlackBerry needs to set a price low enough for people to be willing to take the gamble.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    09-26-15 09:57 AM
    Business 101... make money.... It is basic economics... it cost this much to make.. market and ship.... it sells for this much which is the profit... So if they sell it for a price point makes them "some money" it will sell for what it needs to.. as for overpriced...the market decided that... everyone has a different idea as to what overpriced is and will use that in their choice of what to purchase.. for those who have not concept of the above... selling it at cost or below to meet some unrealistic expection only delvers one thing... failure... if BB was smart.. and they have shown no such inclination... they would strick a deal with the US and Canadian carriers to heavily subsidize the device cost... so go ahead and pick your magic number for yourself...in the end this will be either BB path to live to fight another day...or as it appears ... leave the hardware market totally....
    If I remember correctly from yesterday Chen is on record as saying that his hallmark with the Priv is to sell enough units to simply break even.

Considering that devices are now made by Foxconn (cheaper than doing it in-house) and with Android BlackBerry can save money, breaking even seems like an obtainable goal.

Also for the above reasons the phone should not be over $700 USD ($699.99, really? Just add the darn penny!). Then again, the Galaxy S6 Edge, which is a little bit older but with almost exact specs (minus the sliding keyboard thingy, of course) is around $690 USD give or take and that is after Samsung cut pricing due to declining sales.

If the King of Android Samsung had trouble moving units (it should be noted that even though sales are declining Samsung still moves a heckofalot more units than BlackBerry. In fact, Samsung could be declared "dead" and still move way more units. Anyways....) and BlackBerry is essentially releasing the same phone but with the "privilege of owning a BlackBerry" tossed in....
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-26-15 10:04 AM
    And don't forget - anyone thinking the purchase out clearly will consider ( as I am): what if BlackBerry dumps the mobile device business totally? Now - no ongoing OS support for the Android BlackBerry "package " - and no ongoing hardware support. The only source for support for either area is from BlackBerry itself - not from Google, and not from the hardware manufacturer.

So - one's purchase of a Priv could end up being a several hundred dollars paperweight.

Contrast that to purchasing a product from Samsung or LG (or even a Nexus from Google) - any of which are much "safer" purchases.

So BlackBerry needs to set a price low enough for people to be willing to take the gamble.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    It's running Android, so I don't see the "paperweight" case here. just root with "future" OS's, might loose some safety features, but never a paperweight. Android is so exploitable that someone can put touchwizz on the Priv if they wanted to...
    09-26-15 10:19 AM
    Unfortunately in Europe we will have an equivalent of something close to 900-1000$... you lucky americans
    No way that it'll be an equivalent of 900/1000 bucks in the EU. At least not in Germany, Holland, Belgium.
    For EU prices they simply and almost always just change the $ to €.
    Which is fine by me. Approx €650 is what I'm willing to pay for it.
    If it's higher, I will simply wait until the official Blackberry shop has one of their recurring sales OR just wait until next year when I expect that the device will be at least €100 cheaper.

PS What bothers me more is that we don't have a concrete launch date...... yet again!!!!
    A lot of people might go for an iPhone 6s in stead which is being launched early October in many EU countries. If BB by then still has no release date......like with the colored Classic's, then they might miss out......yet again!!!!
    09-26-15 11:20 AM
217 12345 ...